KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

So, finally it happens.... 

my only question is... will i have to re-pay KSP to have the same contract i had with Squad?

i want to say that Squad Always took UP the community requests as primary goal. I can't forget all the steps followed by KSP, and the Devs works as good as i fell part of the project. 

Thanks Squad no company will be like you.

As i could see from the 1.1  the game progress are not enough. Feeling like reached the top of the cup.

TT have nothing to do with a game like KPS. In all theirs games there are violence and guns.

We will see:

an impressive Graphic bump with an absurd system requirement.

A new "no brain" game where even a child could build an SSTO with 100t of payload.

new cool features to keep calm the most of the players and to reach new customers without respecting the soul of the game. (that as been kept clear until now).

the TT logo instead of the squad one at the start of the game.... i'm already crying.

TT have to place the hands and give a personal touch the the product. But i don't think they will face the fact that the game was Already amazing without them, and they will don't mind to change every line to repay this investment. Business is Business and we are just customers. 

From me, that was a really amazing trip with Squad. 

HARVESTER!!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!! LET US EAR YOUR VOICE!!!!!!!! PLAESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when buying KSP, i had this:

mVcJytp.png

it indirectly implies that whenever the game is updated, you're getting more than what you have paid for.

Clicking "buy" after reading this, you should agree about Squad not owing you anything.

i don't know what this means for more recent purchases though, because now i can't find this statement anywhere.

Edited by Overfloater

On 31/5/2017 at 2:32 PM, UomoCapra said:

we’re keeping our promise of free DLC for everyone who purchased KSP through April 2013!

but if i bought it later than that (2016 for an exsample) will the DLC still be free or do i need to pay then (or is that not decided yet)?

2 minutes ago, Supermalthe1000 said:

but if i bought it later than that (2016 for an exsample) will the DLC still be free or do i need to pay then (or is that not decided yet)?

You'll need to pay.

14 minutes ago, Supermalthe1000 said:

If you were getting it free with a purchase from 2016, wouldn't the post you quoted say 2016 and not 2013?  :confused:

Is there a thread where I can offer to pay?  ...if I bought it before the deadline?

Although, doubt if that would mean squat to Squad now.   ...ah well, what's the next Squad game going to be?  

2012-08-01..... since i bought the game

and yes... Squad is Squad. They had a product in mind and they released it after almost 4 years... every step, the Mun, Docking system, manoeuvre system, other planets has been added as promised without asking a half cent more. THIS is what i call having squared balls.

TT is not a game development, they are money makers. They work as and industry... It's something really different from being over all the parts creating your own idea and project in direct contact with the community, and i have to say the best community ever. 

And More than that... TT has not wrote NOTHING at all in this forum, assuring, greetings themselves with the community. 

So... that's not good if they don't have even a PR to interact with people. 

They don't have even a plan... but Who need a plan when you have Money! a lot of Money! and more Money to cover your mistakes? 

Weapons, aliens... other solar systems FTL drive, prostitute and drugs. I think they have already choose the color of the Kerbal blood... Can't wait to have my orbital brother and to have Jeb sniffing the Mun dust...

... i have the game i paid for, now all this stuff is useless and if i want more i have the support of the community MODs...

this game have already so much stuff to be implemented in the vanilla that i can't see nothing TT can do than it's already done.

So... the only way to spill money from the ALREADY customers is to block MODs and force to buy their stuff...

What do you think? they will declare such a thing now? They are far from being stupid.

Edited by Rosarium

14 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Is there a thread where I can offer to pay?  ...if I bought it before the deadline?

Although, doubt if that would mean squat to Squad now.   ...ah well, what's the next Squad game going to be?  

In all seriousness - I doubt there will be one. They've sold off their gaming windfall and I imagine they'll go back to their core business. Which is not unreasonable. I heard rumours that the company founders had (gaming unnrelated) pet projects they wanted to pursue but I don't have a source for that.

11 minutes ago, KSK said:

I heard rumours that the company founders had (gaming unnrelated) pet projects they wanted to pursue but I don't have a source for that.

Yeah, I remember that from an article some time back.

To be perfectly honest I've always felt that Squad devs got the short end of the stick from the higher-ups, and I think this might be a better move for the company, and the IP, in general. I also think that a lot of the baseless fear-mongering going around right now is exactly that. KSP is an established game with a five-year codebase and a passionate community, nothing much is going to change from our POV so long as Squad remains profitable.

Take Two will probably leverage the IP in other ways, maybe with some spin-offs and such, but KSP is an established product with a good amount of life left in it, you don't mess with a winning formula.

Edited by regex

5 minutes ago, regex said:

Take Two will probably leverage the IP in other ways, maybe with some spin-offs and such, but KSP is an established product with a good amount of life left in it, you don't mess with a winning formula.

You can't image how deep can the dark side be... :wink:

27 minutes ago, Rosarium said:

You can't image how deep can the dark side be... :wink:

Uh, sure dude. HOW DARK IS THAT SIDE GIVE ME MORE FEAR TO SNIFF JUST ONE MORE FIX MAN

39 minutes ago, regex said:

Yeah, I remember that from an article some time back.

To be perfectly honest I've always felt that Squad devs got the short end of the stick from the higher-ups, and I think this might be a better move for the company, and the IP, in general. I also think that a lot of the baseless fear-mongering going around right now is exactly that. KSP is an established game with a five-year codebase and a passionate community, nothing much is going to change from our POV so long as Squad remains profitable.

Unless you are Maxis... and then you play with a winning formula and really make it suck.

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Unless you are Maxis... and then you play with a winning formula and really make it suck.

Then Maxis is a stupid company what bought a winning IP and messed with it.

6 minutes ago, regex said:

Then Maxis is a stupid company what bought a winning IP and messed with it.

NO, they actually owned a winning series - SimCity. They created it, then they blew it up with a crappy SimCities Societies... possibly one of the worst games out there, next to goat farmer simulator...

4 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

NO, they actually owned a winning series - SimCity. They created it, then they blew it up with a crappy SimCities Societies... possibly one of the worst games out there, next to goat farmer simulator...

Oh, well, nothing lasts forever then. vOv

With the ip acquisition of KSP, we have a slightly higher chance of getting a mobile device app serving as a vessel creator.

It would make the daily commute an order of magnitude more enjoyable.

*I base this on my imagination only.

2 hours ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

With the ip acquisition of KSP, we have a slightly higher chance of getting a mobile device app serving as a vessel creator.

It would make the daily commute an order of magnitude more enjoyable.

*I base this on my imagination only.

Thank goodness, I'm not the only one who imagined some sort of ship building app!

On 6/18/2017 at 6:36 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

I seem to recall him shutting down the site in a way intended to maximize the harm to the community. I don't find him a credible witness.

I dont find your slanderous statement credible...

The way I remember it, SirCmpwn DID indeed decide to closedown KS, after much drama on all sides... HOWEVER, after the closing, he hosted a full 60+GB torrent of EVERY mod that was on KS, as WELL as the source code for the site itself, with an open license...

From what I remember, Vitas took the code and basically used it to build SpaceDock.info... AND, IIRC, SirCmpwm was helpful and active in getting SpaceDock up and running...

If thats what happened, that sure doesnt sound like someone who maliciously shutdown a huge mod hosting site "in a way intended to maximize the harm to the community"....

Also, where do you think LinuxGuruGamer has gotten many of the files and sources for many of the mods he has "revived"?... From that KS torrent...

PS- pinging @VITAS if he wants to verify/negate my SD statements...

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

I dont find your slanderous statement credible...

You are welcome to disagree with my opinion, of course.

The way I remember it, SirCmpwn DID indeed decide to closedown KS, after much drama on all sides... HOWEVER, after the closing, he hosted a full 60+GB torrent of EVERY mod that was on KS, as WELL as the source code for the site itself, with an open license...

He didn't do the one thing that could have minimized the disruption most: Permit someone else to use the kerbalstuff.com domain. Every link to the site was going to break when the server was taken down, but doing this could have had those links active as soon as the replacement site was up. We're still feeling the effect of this choice today, as there are still many mod threads with KS-only links and people can't find the files.

As for the torrent, that did little to help modders, who had already had their files but had to scramble to find new hosting. It would not have been necessary at all if the domain was reused.

The source for the Kerbalstuff software was already on github, and already open sourced. This was not done to ease the transition, and it's incorrect to characterize it as such.

From what I remember, Vitas took the code and basically used it to build SpaceDock.info... AND, IIRC, SirCmpwm was helpful and active in getting SpaceDock up and running...

...except for the one thing that would have been the most helpful: The domain.

If thats what happened, that sure doesnt sound like someone who maliciously shutdown a huge mod hosting site "in a way intended to maximize the harm to the community"....

It seems to me it was as disruptive to modders as possible.

40 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

<snip>

...except for the one thing that would have been the most helpful: The domain.

It seems to me it was as disruptive to modders as possible.

I'll give you all your statements, except, that last part, which all your statements are premised on...

From what I gather, the WHOLE issue with Squad, and the letter, which I guess was a C&D or request, was to change/stop using the "kerbal"stuff site/domain name...
So why WOULD he hand over the domain name as-is, which was contentious, and possibly in the midst of pending legal action?

I suppose he could have, but certainly shouldnt be demonized for not doing so...

And as to modders hosting on KS, having to scramble, from what I understood, the domain/server was WHOLLY paid for by SirCmpwn out of pocket... @ $100US/mo IIRC.... There certainly didnt seem to be a whole lot of donations coming in from the community...

And whats to say Curse, or SD or any other future mod hosting site wont just shutter the doors with no notice, leaving modders to scramble again?

I mean, didnt Squad pull that exact move themselves, when they shut down kerbalspaceport?.... Wheres the outcry for THEM leaving modders out in the cold to scramble for new hosts?

Edited by Stone Blue

For everyone saying, "Don't worry, T2 won't mess with an established community/winning formula", let me remind you that an established community doesn't make money, and a niche game(read: game for smart people) makes money, but often not as much as a large publisher would like.

It's not unheard of for a publisher to destroy a niche game's established community in pursuit of a broader audience that turns out not to exist. Never forgot LucasArt's directing SOE to seek a wider audience for Star Wars Galaxies, and subsequent destruction of that game

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

let me remind you that an established community doesn't make money

An established and passionate community that wants more content will pay for DLC or additional merch. They may even purchase a new game simply on the strength of the name alone (see above RE: Maxis).

a niche game(read: game for smart people)

KSP has sold nearly two million copies, it's hardly a "niche game" and people around here should stop assuming that playing it means one is "smart".

It's not unheard of for a publisher to destroy a niche game's established community in pursuit of a broader audience that turns out not to exist. Never forgot LucasArt's directing SOE to seek a wider audience for Star Wars Galaxies, and subsequent destruction of that game

I eagerly await evidence of these plans by Take Two to destroy this "niche game" what is not an MMO (which represents a VERY different business model than a game like KSP) and is already in a "released" state. We're not in beta anymore, the game's features are pretty well established at this time and anything new is going to come from a DLC, not from the base game itself. Yes, the base game will receive updates to support these new DLCs, if that is needed, but for the most part it's pretty finished (on PC at least).

Edited by regex

I for one look forward with cautious optimism to the future. There are companies who specifically purchase IP in order to ruin it, but that exclusively happens when that IP is in competition with something else the acquiring company offers. That's definitely not the case with KSP. It's possible that Take 2 will somehow flub the KSP market, but I don't think they'll set out to do so.

Big companies aren't evil by virtue of being either big or companies. They sometimes make decisions you might disagree with, because they prize different things (revenue, for example), but it's not like Take 2 is staffed by a secret cabal of sith wizards who extract continual youth from the tears of gamers. And the funny thing about caring about revenue for a product is that Pareto optimization is automatically psuedo-democratic.

Maybe with fresh collaboration efforts, someone will finally have the bravery to fix some of the established warts in KSP, like the career system. Probably not, but a man can dream.

The bad thing is the "Drill-O-Matic" Mining Excavator is STILL bugged as hell.... looks like moved by the kraken force... twisting until all the craft is in pieces...

WHO WILL FIX THAT???

Edited by Rosarium