KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

On 25/07/2017 at 11:10 PM, T.A.P.O.R. said:

I'm in Australia. I'm lucky the ants weren't poisonous spiders.

If in Oz, it is not worth mentioning there were ants anywhere, including your coffee machine. Ants are literally everywhere. Do not even put down your sandwich between bites...

4 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

No I mean that I wish that they would keep the game inside their own company, unless the game is struggling to survive. Just selling a game when offered a half decent sum of money is not the key to having a successful game.

You are presuming that KSP is not struggling to survive.

Note: I'm not presuming it IS struggling. I'm just not willing to presume it's NOT.

Well true. I just tend to be a pessimist so I may be being a little paranoid about this whole thing. Plus how the crud would they even fit microtransactions into KSP!

5 years later

You have run out of rocket fuel! Would you like to wait 12 hours to launch again or pay 5.99 for a full refill?

14 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Just selling a game when offered a half decent sum of money is not the key to having a successful game.

You’re making a lot of assumptions there.

• ”a half decent sum of money,” indicates that Squads owners agreed to a fee compared to the true monetizing potential of the game. Aside from the fact that accounts have an incredible hard time coming up with a reliable number in regards to that, we don’t even know what T2 paid.
  • I doubt Squad ownerships main interest was making a succesful game; they just want to make money. And they did, and they got a nice stack on top of it. Us having a great game is a neat side effect, but it’s not really what they care about.

I’m with the tiny group that thinks T2 ownership is good. They’re a computer game company, compared to Squad’s marketing/advertising background. They now have a stake in making KSP a lasting succes, something that doesn’t involve, as many seem to think, deliberately alienating its paying customers. There’s a certain market where micropayments work, and KSP is not that market. And T2/is not so stupid to think it is, they wouldn’t be where they are if they were.

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I’m with the tiny group that thinks T2 ownership is good.

I have no problem thinking it could be a good thing; we're just not being told one way or another.  At 6 months into ownership, you would never know KSP had been bought.  About the only thing I can glean from Squad is that Take-Two provided some QA personnel to help bugtest the console version.  If the paychecks come on time now (positing they didn't before), thats something we rightly probably dont need to hear about.

On 11/25/2017 at 3:03 PM, Kerbart said:

They’re a computer game company, compared to Squad’s marketing/advertising background.

The only problem is: they still let SQUAD develop the game...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 9:03 AM, Kerbart said:

we don’t even know what T2 paid.

I don't know how I stumbled back onto this page, I was looking for something else. But being I was here, I read through from the point I was last here... and ran across that comment.

So much speculation about T2. T2 is an American 'entertainment software' publishing company, trading on the market (NASDAQ: TTWO), and all one has to do to find out everything about them is to do a little homework / research. They are exactly what Squad is, mainly a development and marketing entity, only BIG TIME. While the control and development of KSP's direction is a (private) business agreement between T2 and Squad, what was paid is not. Any American company buying a foreign interest (which Squad is) must report it. The amount Zelnick (TTWO) paid was revealed after the first quarterly filing after the acquisition. It's a matter of public record.

Anyway; while TTWO's stock saw a decent rise this past year, it's in decline as of February 2018. Yes, I've been watching it.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm back after some years and noticed so many changes here... A new forum (again), new KSP versions, new content, changes in the staff and a new publisher.

I'm happy to see SQAUD still working an KSP, creating updates and new stuff (although the frequency of updates has decreased a lot). And thank you for keep giving us old players new stuff for free. It's really something you don't need to do - you deserve the money for all you have accomplished so far - but it's a nice touch. Thank you! :kiss:

I'm not playing KSP anymore as much as I did 6 years ago (or was it longer? :confused:), but I will test the new version and the expansion pack (I'm still hoping to see the promised multiplayer after all the many years :P). Maybe I'll look around in the forum too, to see what has changed, new people, ect.

What I wanted to say about this topic: I'm not really a fan of takeovers by big publishers. I like Take-Two Interactive, because they supported some of my favourite games in the past. But from my experience, small indie-companies are much more creative while they stay independent. So I am a little worried too, but I hope that you will continue to be so creative and wish you good luck. :D

PS: Is the space kraken still alive?

Edited by StanE

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2018 at 7:58 AM, StanE said:

Afraid so. It takes many more forms now, such as autostrut misalignment, random wheel bounce, and a few others along with some of the old favorites. It is much much less frequent though.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

On 5/10/2018 at 6:58 AM, StanE said:

42 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Afraid so. It takes many more forms now, such as autostrut misalignment, random wheel bounce, and a few others along with some of the old favorites. It is much much less frequent though.

More accurately, no, the Deep Space Kraken was fixed in version 0.17. Associating that name with bugs-in-general is not helpful in understanding the state of the game.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Deep_Space_Kraken

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 12:42 PM, HebaruSan said:

More accurately, no, the Deep Space Kraken was fixed in version 0.17. Associating that name with bugs-in-general is not helpful in understanding the state of the game.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Deep_Space_Kraken

Thank you! This was pretty cool. I've known about the Deep Space Kraken, and Krakens in general, for years. But I honestly didn't know where it all really started. Learned something new... :D

• 5 months later...