How to stop plane falling onto runway/ from hanger

Boris Kerball

I had a heavy aircraft which would fall apart (and generally explode) most times on load.  In my case the solution was to move where the wheels were mounted, I had them mounted on the wings and they apparently couldn't take the weight (as effectively all the force was going through the one wing-fuselage connection). So I mounted them to the fuselage (which spread the load over multiple connections) and then offset them to look like they where under the wing and that worked. 

Another thing to try (although it's an even more hacky solution) is to use the debug menu and use hack gravity to reduce the gravity, and then gradually increase it back to normal once the physics has loaded.  That might get you loaded on the runway ok, but doesn't really answer the underlying problem of why it's exploding in the first place. A plane should be able to take a reasonably rough landing so you might have to re think how the weight is spread over the wheels. But at least with the hack gravity to help during loading, you can try taking off and landing again with normal gravity and see if it can withstand a landing.

As for the original question: long ago, there were problems with craft sometimes spawning partly below the surface of Kerbin, and exploding.  A little starting offset into the air is the kludge that fixed that problem.

As for the rest - my planes never explode on physics start.  Can we see a pic of the problem craft? There might be an easy fix that jumps out at us.

It's tempting (for this one who doesn't built airplanes or spaceplanes) to suggest that if your craft isn't capable of surviving the load on the runway, it's very unlikely to be able to land intact...

Edited by Zeiss Ikon
restore missing words

6 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

It's tempting (for this one who doesn't built airplanes or spaceplanes) to suggest that if your craft isn't capable of surviving the load on the runway, it's very unlikely to be able to land intact...

No, no I'll back you up on that one...I build a fair number of space/airplanes and you make a good point.

You're gonna have bits falling off under the stress of flight or landing if your design can't survive a simple drop test.

When doubt, go nuts with struts! :wink:

-Jn-

I'd advise one to take this unique "quirk" as an opportunity to ensure that your landing gear setup is sound and can actually withstand an event somewhat less intense than a soft landing...

for if it fails THAT test... one might perhaps reconsider the wisdom behind choosing to actually make this unlikely apparatus airborne

there are mods that will ensure it starts with brakes on - so that it doesn't roll off from that, as it can often do... and you can minimize it by moving the whole job close to the SPH floor, then securing it with struts

because safety first, right?  I mean, first - and then of course, consequences - usually quite spectacular ones

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.