Favorite/Must-have mods

After giving it some more thought (and checking AVC) I'll revise my answer to:

MUST HAVE:

AVC, KER, Final Frontier, Chatterer, Docking Node Alignment, SCANSat  , KAC

End up installing every time:

KIS/KAS, USI (everything), DeepFreeze, Launch Window Calculator, Planetary Bases, and probably a few others (should have screenshot AVC!) :P

-Jn-

Better Burn Time when paired with Maneuver Node Evolved is exactly how the vanilla version should have operated and it makes traveling through space way more fun.

For experiment packs, I love Scansat and Surface Experiment Pack, more than all my other packs combined.

KIS and KAS, I think, is on everyone's list; the game dynamic that those two mods bring are legendary.

Also, anything by RoverDude, I have almost every mod he's been a part of, the USI series is of course my favorite. I'm waiting for Squad to name a moon after him.

Lastly, the Near Future series expands the breadth of KSP by magnitudes and if you want a game that makes you feel like you can do anything and go anywhere with minimal repetitiveness, the NF is your mod.

Finally, Astro/Cosmonauts for Texture Replacer is just fun to use.

I know I name a dozen mods, but I run about a 100+ of these things, so it's impossible to narrow it down anymore.

• 4 months later...

Mainly need....

Kerbal Alarm Clock for running multiple missions and to remind me of transfer windows 

Mechjeb for laziness when I have a long burn with ion engines and wana go have a smoke or run to the store 

Realplume Makes burns look so much better

Rentery Particle Effect for beauty 

USI or TAC for realism and dificulty

TAC Fuel Balancer for easy fuel transfer or dumping

Kerbal Engineer for DV calculations and to keep hud clutter free 

CapCom for on the fly contract checking

ForScience for lazy science 

[X] Science to keep track of what science I still need to get 

ScanSat to find biomes and slope info 

procedural tanks to keep part count down and make rockets look better 

I think that's all :cool:

Edited by MoarBoostersRUS

Kerbal Engineer Redux: for DV calculations, orbital data feedback, suicide burns, etc.

Kerbal Alarm Clock: to keep track of my active flights maneuvers, SOI changes, interplanetary departure dates, etc.

Transfer Window Planner: you can either get into solar orbit and burn fuel you could've easily saved otherwise, write down or have KAC (above) monitor the optimal phase angles between planets, or use TWP. Your call :P

Waypoint Manager: because well... waypoints.

Docking Port Alignment Indicator: Not that one can't do without it, but it does help getting the job done faster -especially if you do at least 4-6 docking operations per session.

Kerbal Flight Indicators: A nice visual aid, eliminating the need to have a flag in front of the runway, which your spaceplane can target and place the prograde marker at it, in order to get something that resembles a proper landing profile:P

GPO Speed Fuel Pump: to automate fuel/resource transfers -and I do a lot of these.

And there's Planetshine & Distant Object Enhancement for a little eye-candy.

That's it for me :)

The mods I have installed, with most loved at the top:

FinalFrontier:  Who was the first Kerbal in space?  The first to land on the Mun?  The first to swim in Laythe's oceans?  Who has run most missions?  I completely love this mod.  And no, it's not Jeb for any of them in my game!

Kerbal Alarm Clock: Because running multiple missions is essential

MechJeb:  Ok, his mechanical brain doesn't always get it right, and I can do a better job than him mostly (though I'd be fairly lost without Smart-ASS), but he's always willing to help!

MKS: Because it's not enough to just go there.  We have to colonise too.

KIS/KASBecause MKS

(Everything below here is for me largely optional - they're installed, they provide useful stuff but they're not necessarily included in a new game)

UnmannedBeforeManned: It's not so much the unmanned part that I like, but the earlier access in the technology tree to better plane parts.

Extraplanetary Launchpads: Because it's not enough just to colonise.  We have to build as well.

Tac Fuel Balancer: Such a handy little tool - basically allows dumping of fuel and equalising of fuel tanks.

[x]Science!: Find out when new science can be done.

SXT: Because I want electric propellers and seaplanes.

ScanSat: Extra science and easier finding of Anomalies.

Scatterer/PlanetShine: Because it's pretty!

NearFuture: Helpful extra parts.

20 minutes ago, Confused Scientist said:

I run a few great mods that aren't very well known but I highly recommend (and work well together):

NOTE: Cold War Progression is fully functional in 1.3 (and probably 1.3.1)

I, uh....

I'm flattered. And yes, CWPT should work in 1.3.1, although I've been a little too busy IRL to work on it lately.

Today was the first time I've actually played Kerbal on this computer, so hopefully it won't be long before I get back into the swing of things.

but y r u using that ripoff fasa lol

The most essential: Kerbal Alarm Clock for without it I shall not go to space or anywhere else today.

Now for other must haves:

KER

KIS/KAS

SCANSat

RemoteTech

MRS

SpaceY

KW Rocketry

Procedural Fairings

Procedural Tanks

Infernal Robotics

Precice Maneuver but alas, I can not run it as it gobbles up whatever memory SCANSat has left over and throws me out to desktop.

Edited by LN400
typo

4 hours ago, LN400 said:

Precice Maneuver but alas, I can not run it as it gobbles up whatever memory SCANSat has left over and throws me out to desktop.

That's odd.  Perhaps you can try Precise Node instead.

13 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

That's odd.  Perhaps you can try Precise Node instead.

My bad, I guess I'm tired. Yeah I meant Precice Node. The memory thing has always been a bit of a blighter on this computer and with SCANSat I don't have many spare bits of RAM left.

Just now, LN400 said:

My bad, I guess I'm tired. Yeah I meant Precice Node. The memory thing has always been a bit of a blighter on this computer and with SCANSat I don't have many spare bits of RAM left.

Well, there are two different mods:  Precise Node and Precise Maneuver.  So which ever one is giving you the trouble, try the other.

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

Well, there are two different mods:  Precise Node and Precise Maneuver.  So which ever one is giving you the trouble, try the other.

Hah! I suppose that explains why I thought the mod had had a name change. I was missing the circularize feature and lo and behold, it was there in the other mod all along, huh? I guess I will have to try that then.

• 1 month later...
On 1.6.2017 at 10:12 AM, JadeOfMaar said:
  • Mk2 Stockalike Expansion

Did you drop an eye lastly on the "MK3 Stockalike Expansions" by same autor? Realy nice deal, especialy his wings for that format!

Happy Kabooms

Urses

3 hours ago, Urses said:

Did you drop an eye lastly on the "MK3 Stockalike Expansions" by same autor? Realy nice deal, especialy his wings for that format!

Happy Kabooms

Urses

I have a very good idea of what's in Mk3 Expansion but the shape (almost perfect circle) does not appeal to me. :( I get ideas for Mk3 vessels to build but these ideas are few and far apart.

Old thread but just got around to reading it. KSP 1.3.1 is the first time I've had a version without a up to date MJ. I learned though I can I just don't enjoy playing without MJ

Most everything else I consider essential is eye candy - DoE, PlanetShine, EVE, Scatterer, SVE, Texture Replaced Replaced (for suits and skymap), Navball Texture Replacer.

Chatterer for ear candy.

Then Kopernicus, OPM and some other planet packs that I alter the cfgs for my own set up. 

Those I always wait for working versions before updating the game. Everything else is just what catches my attention at the time. 

• 1 month later...

(Links in spoiler)

Vessel Mover, Hyperedit, KER, and RCS Build Aid are my absolute must-haves. I don't even bother with a new KSP version until they're updated.

My less-imporant-but-still-favorite mods are Thor Tech (for the Spitfire cockpit mostly. You have no idea how useful that tiny lil cockpit is!! Also the Kinegar engine), Umbra Space Industries (mainly for the nuclear reactors), Take Command, and Pico Port

Edited by Fireheart318

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.