[1.6.x-1.7.x] SSTU Craft Repository (SLS, Apollo, Soyuz, Shuttle, career, etc)

The official craft repository for SSTU (Shadow Space Technologies Unlimited)

sstu_repository.jpg

NOTE:  Mage from the SSTU mod will be making a Github repository so that these files will be in a central location where other people can upload their stuff to as well via a Pull Request. I will be making a new forum thread with screenshots and links to each craft. Besides the real-scale replicas, there will also be craft files for the stock Kerbin system and contract missions.

SSTU is an awesome mod by ShadowMage with modular parts to let you build a low parts count, high game performance, rocket with a number of highly configurable parts. See ShadowMage's topic on his SSTU mod here CLICK

While it is still a Work in Progress [WIP], I and many other people, have been using it to make the most awesome rockets within KSP. Some players have even ported it through RO as is has a large variety of real world parts with ditto looks (not stock kerbal). I really recommend checking out this fabulous mod!!!

I've asked the creator of SSTU, ShadowMage, if it might be an idea to make an official craft repository for current users of the mod to share their builds, and for new users to get some example rockets as there are so many options and parts that it can be overwhelming. To start off I will add some of my favorite builds, some real and some just very useful for careers mode. If other people would like to share their SSTU builds, that would be awesome!!!

The builds below are ready to fly and contain action groups where applicable (see description texts). The intent of the rockets was to build realistic looking rockets, so some of them will quite OP for the task they originally had, but fun and easy to fly none the less. They also show off about every part in the SSTU mod to give a clear idea what is possible.

Enjoy!!!

note  Download the latest version of SSTU for KSP 1.7.0 here: https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.11.47.159

note  To download the craft files below, right click on the link and select "save link as...". These files need to go into your KSP directory under ../saves/"mygamename"/Ships/VAB

Recommended "mods"

The following mods are really recommended (not required) for career play-throughs combined with the SSTU mod, as they will really add some useful parts:

Parts
* Jimbodiah's Patches: Adds a few parts and tweaks that I use on my career builds like a smaller science box etc. Check below for more info.
* Jimbodiah's SSTU Color Presets: Adds a lot of color presets for SSTU parts which have also been used in these builds (colors will show up with/without my presets).

Edited by Jimbodiah

REALISTIC SCALING / RSS

STATION CORE

ISS.png
ISS (no truss/panels)
coming soon
ATV.png
ATV
coming soon

REPLICAS

All crewed rockets have action groups set up for a launch abort or fairing jetisson.

Backspace = Activate launch abort, capsule will auto release at end of burn
0 = Deploy chutes
1 = Jetisson LES (all pods)
2 = Jetisson side-panels (orion, soyuz)
3 = Extend solar panels (orion, soyuz)

AresI.png
Ares I
coming soon

Ares V

coming soon

JupiterIII.png
Jupiter III
coming soon

Delta II

coming soon

DeltaIV_Orion.png
Delta IV Heavy EFT-1
coming soon

Soyuz.png
Soyuz / R7
coming soon

SaturnV.png
Saturn V
coming soon

Shuttle.png
Space Shuttle
coming soon

SLS_Block_I.png
SLS Block I
coming soon

SLS Block ? lunar

coming soon

Falcon 9 Heavy

coming soon

LANDER CORE

Landers that are suitable for Mun, Minmus, Duna and similar moons. The command modules contain solar panels, rcs thrusters, docking port and a small reaction wheel, all in a single part. Stock legs and ladders are used to complete the landers.

TIPS if you want to build your own lander 
1.) On the LC pod select "enable bottom node", attach the engine, then attach the decoupler.
2.) On the decoupler, enable "hollow collider" to not get the engine snagged upon separating.
(these have all been done in my craft files, they are ready to go)

LC2.png
LC2  2-stage lander
(2 crew)
coming soon
LC3.png
LC3  2-stage lander
(3 crew)
coming soon

LC5 2-stage lander
(6 crew)

coming soon

Edited by Jimbodiah

KERBIN SYSTEM / SSRSS

The craft files listed here can be used for career saves. There are a few ships that will help you progress through the tech-tree; I've generally made three versions that you should be able to use consecutively as you gain enough science to unlock all the required tech-tree nodes to get the next ship available in the VAB. After that you should get the hang of creating your own SSTU rockets.

node2.jpg

Science Mission, Node 2
- Orbit Kerbin
- 2 stages (dV=3950)

- 6.000 funds
[download .craft]

node3.jpg

Science Mission, Node 3
- Orbit Mun + Minmus
- 3 stages (dV=5800)

- 14.000 funds
[download .craft]

node4.jpg

Science Mission, Node 4
- Land on Mun or Minmus
- 3 stages (dV=6800)

- 16.000 funds
[download .craft]

Edited by Jimbodiah

SSTU Expansions

SSTU Expansion Pack 
by JoséEduardo  

- Extra textures, engines, clusters and other assorted parts, as well as a lot of patches to other mods like BDB and Kosmos for engine clustering etc.

[check out José's expansion pack]

Jimbodiah's Patch Laboratory
by Jimbodiah

- Jimbodiah's Patches: My own set of game-play patches to make every day chores a bit easier and to streamline rocket design in some cases.
- RSS patch: Simple patch to play RSS without needing RO
- SSRSS patch: Real scaled ships in a stock scaled world
- SSTU Color Presets: My personal color presets .cfg 

[check out Jimbodiah's patches]

Edited by Jimbodiah

@Jimbodiah, I have a few craft field in the SSTU github issues posted under craft files. One is a Mercury Atlas with a 1/2 stage that works in "stock" SSTU.

I have a Saturn and R-7 scaled at 64% as well.

Edited by tater

Yeah---they are overbuilt for stock, as they are 64% scale. The Mercury Atlas is not really a scale diameter, etc, it was done by eye, and to ideally just achieve orbit. My Saturn V is smaller than yours as well.

They work fine, indeed overkill in stock. Certainly work in 3.2X, even 4X I think (I haven't retested in 1.3, my current career play through is 4X with 6.4X distances.

The Mercury atlas is more of a stock craft, might work in 3.2X, haven't tested yet.

Edited by tater

I am planning on starting a new career save with SSTU and Galileo's Planet Pack. Does stage and a half make rockets at stock like scale too OP? If not could you consider making an Atlas Centaur version?

What I want to try to do less in this save is making a rocket for every mission.

Sure, no problem....

I run my own mm patch to be able to use stock parts in RSS, I'm not into RO but just want the larger scale planets and realistic looking ships.

Enhancements
RSS with 8K textures  |  Kopernicus  |  RSSVE |  Scatterer  |  Chatterer  |  Real Plumes  |  PlanetShine  |  Re-entry Particle Effects  |  Distant Objects

Functionality
MechJeb  |  Community Resource Pack  |  Portrait Stats  |  Persistent Rotation  |  HyperEdit  |  Janitor's Closet  |  Tweakscale  |  Lights Out  |  Ship Manifest  |  TimeControl  |  Community TechTree

Career
[x]Science  |  Science Relay  |  Kerbal Alarm Clock  |  StageRecovery  |  Contracts Window

Parts
SSTU |  Bluedog DB  |  Coalt ProbesPlus  |  CxAerospace (sometimes)  |  Procedural Parts  |  Procedural Fairings  |  HeatControl  |  USI Konstruktion  |  USI Reactors  |  TAC LifeSupport  |  Kerbal Reusability Expansion

If I feel like playing scifi
NF Propulsion  |  NF Electric  |  WildBlue DSEV  |  Kerbal Atomics  |  FTL Drive continued  |  DeepFreeze continued

Edited by Jimbodiah

1 hour ago, Jimbodiah said:

Sure, no problem....

I run my own mm patch to be able to use stock parts in RSS, I'm not into RO but just want the larger scale planets and realistic looking ships.

Enhancements
RSS with 8K textures  |  Kopernicus  |  RSSVE |  Scatterer  |  Chatterer  |  Real Plumes  |  PlanetShine  |  Re-entry Particle Effects  |  Distant Objects

Functionality
MechJeb  |  Community Resource Pack  |  Portrait Stats  |  Persistent Rotation  |  HyperEdit  |  Janitor's Closet  |  Tweakscale  |  Lights Out  |  Ship Manifest  |  TimeControl

Career
[x]Science  |  Science Relay  |  Kerbal Alarm Clock  |  StageRecovery  |  Contracts Window

Parts
SSTU |  Bluedog DB  |  Coalt ProbesPlus  |  CxAerospace (sometimes)  |  Procedural Parts  |  Procedural Fairings  |  HeatControl  |  USI Konstruktion  |  USI Reactors  |  TAC LifeSupport  |  Kerbal Reusability Expansion

If I feel like playing scifi
NF Propulsion  |  NF Electric  |  WildBlue DSEV  |  Kerbal Atomics  |  FTL Drive continued  |  DeepFreeze continued

Thanks for sharing!  You play with the stock tech tree then?   I almost always have an RSS/RO/RP-0 install as well as another one with RSS but no RO.  I love RO/RP-0, but the fun of a realistic simulation is different than the fun of a game simulation, if that makes sense.  I've never quite managed to balance the "fun" install for career play, so I'm always curious when I see others using that type of setup.  I did download your RSS patch over the weekend and I really like what it does to the game, so thank you for sharing that with the community.  

Glad to share and help people out. And I actually use CTT mostly, forgot that, there maybe be 1-2 more that I forgot to mention.

Yeah, my RSS patch is super simple but it gets the job done. I tend to use a Delta IV Heavy and a Saturn V as a test to balance the thrust/ISP to RSS. You can tune to your own liking in the cfg file.

Right now I am working on a similar patch in SSRSS to make the craft look more real-world instead of the chubby Kerbal ships, by lowering the ISP so you need more tanks. When that is finished I will also release it here.

@Jimbodiah Changed around my install to be more in line with what you have installed, it plays way better.  The BDB rockets feel quite a bit overpowered though, I think I'm going to just pare down BDB to get rid of all the tanks and use procedurals/SSTU tanks.  I was wondering how hard it would be to throw a patch in your pack to have procedurals/SSTU parts scale in 1m increments instead of the 1.25m.  I thought I had found one at one time but could not for the life of me find it again.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.