KSP Weekly: New beginnings, new opportunities...

SQUAD

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I really hope Harv gets some royalties if the Kerbals become a mascot of sorts.  It'd be a pity if he gave up the rights before he knew what he had,

As much as it would be nice if this were so, I suspect HarvesteR never owned the rights to anything KSP related or ever had a deal for royalties. I've always suspected that Squad owned full rights to everything Kerbal related since the company was assuming all the risks involved with producing the IP.

Also, on the topic of the Making History expansion, there's still no mention of how Squad intends users to share missions that are made with the expansion. I'm guessing everyone, maybe Squad as well, is just assuming that they'll be shared as mods are now (i.e. downloading them from Curse, etc.)? This doesn't seem like a method that would work well on consoles, so maybe the expansion is not intended to be built for consoles?

I think an in-game mission browser would work for consoles and PC and be the most user friendly option, but that seems like a lot of work, especially when a working patcher has been a difficult thing to produce. Maybe with Take-Two's resources an in-game browser has more chance of being implemented. I just can't think of a better way to share missions. Since we haven't heard anything about it yet, I have to guess that even Squad hasn't figured it out yet.

My two cents is that exiting (or alt-tabbing) out of the game to obtain new missions is not a friendly user experience on a paid product. It's one thing with mods given their need to load, it's another thing when missions are likely to be similar in nature to a save file and sharing and flying missions is pretty much THE new feature that the expansion adds.

Edited by Mako

42 minutes ago, Jarin said:

I... think I have lost the ability to read your posts as anything but sarcastic. Is this actual :D 'ing?

What? It was a good joke and very much in line with reality around here. :wink:

6 hours ago, Mako said:

As much as it would be nice if this were so, I suspect HarvesteR never owned the rights to anything KSP related or ever had a deal for royalties. I've always suspected that Squad owned full rights to everything Kerbal related since the company was assuming all the risks involved with producing the IP.

Sad, but probably true.

8 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I find the number (and order) of stages on that car concerning. :sealed:

O-o I find the driver of that car rather concerning....never a good idea to let jeb lose in a populated area

Edited by Tidus Klein

OMG - A dev note that doesn't mostly focus on localisation.

I feel faint. :wink:

"New Youghk" language localisation is likely next on the schedule - Or its already completed.

On a serious note,  the lack of content teasers in this note is a bit of a disappointment though.  It's usually all we get that seems concrete.

6 hours ago, Wallygator said:

OMG - A dev note that doesn't mostly focus on localisation.

I feel faint. :wink:

"New Youghk" language localisation is likely next on the schedule - Or its already completed.

On a serious note,  the lack of content teasers in this note is a bit of a disappointment though.  It's usually all we get that seems concrete.

The reality of it is that at least some of the devs got a few days off after the massive effort that was the 1.3 release. There'll be teasers next week, don't worry too much about it.

Oh, Take Two Interactive doing the publishing?

So....how long until they force microtransactions into the game then?  $10 gets you new rocket skin colors, $19 for unique kerbals with enhanced skills, $3 for cosmetic space center buildings...

I'm guessing KSP 1.4.  You just lost respect, Squad.  Bigtime bad juju publisher.  CEO openly has stated that paying for a game is not enough.  All that 'free content' (Read:  game mechanics, art, models, maps) cannot just be given away for free.

On 6/4/2017 at 0:17 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

The reality of it is that at least some of the devs got a few days off after the massive effort that was the 1.3 release. There'll be teasers next week, don't worry too much about it.

The devs don't write the devnotes any more they don't really have an excuse for not announcing 1.4 other than trying to ration and milk information 

3 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

...they don't really have an excuse for not announcing 1.4 other than trying to ration and milk information 

Well, aside from the fact that they are probably neck deep in making the expansion, as well as the recent change in management/ownership/Satanic Overlords/whatever, yeah, there's no reason they shouldn't be well on the way to getting 1.4 ready for us yet.

I seriously see no problem with cosmetic (right now hypothetical even) microtransactions. They seem to work well for other games and do not hurt others.

Imposing restrictions on modders would be an issue. But even the Xcom games support cosmetic mods, although official cosmetic DLCs are available.

9 hours ago, KerbMav said:

I seriously see no problem with cosmetic (right now hypothetical even) microtransactions. They seem to work well for other games and do not hurt others.

Imposing restrictions on modders would be an issue. But even the Xcom games support cosmetic mods, although official cosmetic DLCs are available.

The problem with paying.for art assets is if you can't equal or top what modders make in your own art style then there isn't a point in anyone buying it. Some studios like paradox get around this by being very open with their business model but squad isn't that open.

So if tt wants to make monetized cosmedics they will need to first shake up the art team and get rid of those silly "these aren't placeholders we know what is kerbal better than anyone" ideas they have, then do the rocket revamp to unify the aesthetic, and then maybe they can start shipping quality reskins without drama or backlash otherwise people won't see the point in it unless they are like on console or something.

15 hours ago, razark said:

Well, aside from the fact that they are probably neck deep in making the expansion, as well as the recent change in management/ownership/Satanic Overlords/whatever, yeah, there's no reason they shouldn't be well on the way to getting 1.4 ready for us yet.

Again that's the devs being neck deep not the pr guys (cause squad as they remind us is a big team now of course they have dedicated pr guys) this is literally their job they have nothing better to do.

Edited by passinglurker

24 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

Again that's the devs being neck deep not the pr guys (cause squad as they remind us is a big team now of course they have dedicated pr guys) this is literally their job they have nothing better to do.

Good point.

So the devs work on the expansion, and the PR guys announce v1.4.  The next week, the devs work on the expansion, and since the PR guys have nothing to say about v1.4, announce v1.5.  After that, they can't say anything about 1.4 or 1.5, so they just go ahead and announce v1.6.  And so on.

Or maybe the devs are neck deep in making the expansion, so they have nothing on the board for v1.4 that's worth the PR guys announcing it right now?  Or maybe no one knows what the future holds right now? 

But yeah.  That's no reason not to announce v1.4... :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.