KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

20 hours ago, Hacki said:

On that note, community resource pack adds a whole bunch of useless stuff. I'm aware that is partly for compatibility with other mods, but couldnt we write a module manager patch that removes the stuff it if isnt used? I dont need gypsum, dirt, exotic minerals, karbonite, karborundum, minerals, raremetals, substrate, ... etc. It only clutters up the UI and makes the already complex ISRU chain more confusing. 

It's not really a problem as they can be simply be ignored. I was in the process of replacing some of the resources which I use like Minerals (which is an umbrella resource) which I intended to replace by the real raw resource Spodumene as it holds the stuff (Lithium) that is interesting to KSPI.

20 hours ago, Hacki said:

- Spodumene isnt used at all, even though you can mine it. Its chemical composition in real life is LiAl(SiO3)2; so it should be processable into lithium, aluminium and oxygen?

Yes it should, could you add it to the ISRU processor?

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes. Please check out how resource switching is accomplished in the Interstellar Fuel Switch. I had the same problems there

Ok! 

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Indeed many fields were used for debugging purposes, many of them can be made hidden. you can hide them if you want.

How about a "debug" field for the WarpPluginSettings.cfg? That way we can easily turn those fields back on when they are needed.

I just haven't got around to adding them yet

Thats okay then. I just wanted to know if those were some leftovers from other maintainers / mods, or if they are on a "to be implemented" list. :)

It's not really a problem as they can be simply be ignored

Easy for you to say, as you are familiar with interstellar. When you're totally new to it, it is really confusing to be confronted with a lot of resources / materials that have absolutely no use. 

It would already be a huge help if the ISRU processes from the the refinery window (haber process, regolith process etc) told you what resources are missing in order to start them.... I might just add that. 

Yes it should, could you add it to the ISRU processor?

I can try. 

But if i look at it, i'd almost say we could replace silicates with spodumene? The silicates process already creates silicon, oxygen, lithium-6 and -7. 

After looking into it a bit, it looks like lithium silicates arent naturally occuring anyways, but a step in the processing of lithium ores? 

Edited by Hacki

16 minutes ago, Hacki said:

But if i look at it, i'd almost say we could replace silicates with spodumene? The silicates process already creates silicon, oxygen, lithium-6 and -7. 

After looking into it a bit, it looks like lithium silicates arent naturally occuring anyways, but a step in the processing of lithium ores?

I agree silicates processing can currently be replaced by spodumene processing.

18 minutes ago, Hacki said:

How about a "debug" field for the WarpPluginSettings.cfg? That way we can easily turn those fields back on when they are needed.

Sounds good, something similar is also in TextureSwitcher.  Besides fields, it can also be used to generate more log messages

4 hours ago, Hacki said:

It would already be a huge help if the ISRU processes from the the refinery window (haber process, regolith process etc) told you what resources are missing in order to start them.... I might just add that. 

Well that was something withing the scope of my abilities, so i did that first. 

The ISRU tells you what resources are missing now: 

aMMym3C.png

Code can be found on my github.

Concerning Spodumene, perhaps you can check my calculations: 

1 Unit of spodumene should turn into (approximately.. rounded down a bit):

0,16 Units of Aluminium
0,015 Units of Li-6
0,19 Units of Li-7 
0,4 Units of Silicon
1,36 Units of Liquid Oxygen (Or around 1100 units of gaseous oxygen, since liquid oxygen is ~809 times denser) 

I calculated that with the molar masses of the individual components and their resulting volumes per mass. 

Edited by Hacki

mCwpmkM.jpg

Got some textures done. :D I would probably have a version in game by now but I forgot that Blender doesn't auto-apply transforms. Every time I try to It screws everything up. Can I just export as a FBX and then import it back in to avoid spending another several hours re-moving/scaling/animating things?

You can see the part 'scaling bag' I made that I forgot to remove that's more trouble than it's worth.

Blender is awesomely capable but boy does it have it's quirks. :/

Edited by SpaceMouse

@FreeThinker 

Not sure if you're aware of it so i'll just report it.... 

1.15.0.7 broke the drills. 
In the VAB the drills start out deployed, both retract and deploy buttons are active, and both just cause a short playback of the "drilling" loop.
Same after launch, deploy / retract plays the drilling animation.
Hitting "activate drill" starts the deploy animation over and over, so its more like a hammer than a drill. :D

So deploy and active animations are mixed up, i already looked into it, but cant figure out why.

The molten salt reactor control window is empty and throws a bunch of nulref exceptions when you open it. Perhaps that is because the fuel definitions are missing? 

[ERR 01:57:55.574] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'Tritium' for ReactorFuel Tritium
[ERR 01:57:55.575] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'Tritium' for ReactorFuel Tritium
[ERR 01:57:55.577] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'LithiumDeuteride' for ReactorFuel Deuterium
[ERR 01:57:55.578] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'Tritium' for ReactorFuel Tritium
[ERR 01:57:55.579] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'LithiumDeuteride' for ReactorFuel Deuterium
[ERR 01:57:55.580] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'FusionPellets' for ReactorFuel Helium3
[ERR 01:57:55.581] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'FusionPellets' for ReactorFuel Deuterium
[ERR 01:57:55.583] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'FusionPellets' for ReactorFuel Helium3
[ERR 01:57:55.584] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'FusionPellets' for ReactorFuel Deuterium
[ERR 01:57:55.586] [KSPI] - No definition found for ReactorProduct 'Tritium'
[ERR 01:57:55.586] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'LithiumDeuteride' for ReactorFuel Deuterium
[ERR 01:57:55.588] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'Tritium' for ReactorFuel Tritium
[ERR 01:57:55.589] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'LithiumDeuteride' for ReactorFuel Deuterium
[ERR 01:57:55.590] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'LithiumDeuteride' for ReactorFuel Lithium6
[ERR 01:57:55.591] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'LithiumHydride' for ReactorFuel Hydrogen
[ERR 01:57:55.592] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'LithiumHydride' for ReactorFuel Lithium
[ERR 01:57:55.593] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'Hexaborane' for ReactorFuel Hydrogen
[ERR 01:57:55.594] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'Hexaborane' for ReactorFuel Boron
[ERR 01:57:55.596] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'FusionPellets' for ReactorFuel Deuterium
[ERR 01:57:55.597] [KSPI] - No definition found for resource 'FusionPellets' for ReactorFuel Helium3

It also throws an exception on start:

Module InterstellarFissionNTR threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FNPlugin.InterstellarReactor.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FNPlugin.InterstellarFissionMSRGC.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Tested with a fresh KSP install and your latestet beta release zip.

Created a new Beta release 1.15.0.8  which can be downloaded from here

* Updated bundled CRP to 0.7.2
* Added X-Ray Free Electron Laser Turret
* Added ability of Diode Laser Turret to transmit in Soft X-Rays
* Added Diamagnetic Antihydrogen storage container
* Added improved convection for submerged radiators
* Added Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion Reactor
* Added Added Blanket Rectenna Receiver
* Added automated alternative fuel type selection for fusion reactors
* Added Science Dril * Unerversal Auger
* Added Drilling animation
* Added improved GUI Univerdal Drill Extractor
* Added Improve Interface Regolith Processing
* Added exit Apoapsis and exit Periapsis to Warp Control Interface
* Added resource switchers ISRU Processor
* Added IntakeLqd pump capacity to universal drill
* Added Infratable Gas Tank
* Added Mean Anomaly and DeltaV or Orbit to Alcubiere Control Window
* Added Inflatable Crashpad Gas Tank
* Added Double Pivot Photostatic X-Ray Receiver
* Added Ability to connected to beam generator indirectly
* Re balanced cost thermal radiators
* Re-balanced beamed power
* Balance: Reduced minimum Nuclear Engines my 50%, this will also reduce Thermal Electric Power Output by 50%
* Fixed Regolith processing ability to function offscreen
* Fixed Antimatter Electric Power generation
* Fixed Reactor resource output, implicitly fixing premature actinides poisoning
* Fixed Deuterium refining from Regolith
* Fixed loss of power after docking
* Fixed spamming Universal Drill Gui
* Fixed Mass growth for Tweakaled Radiators
* Fixed Exploit staged Thermal Reactor
* Fixed active ad offline fuel usage nuclear engines
* Fixed thrust unbalance with multiple nuclear engines
* Fixed Issue where vessels with antimatter would explode when being unloaded
* Fixed issue build In thermal electric generator not functioning properly, like Timerwind
* Fixed exception log spamming on Timberwind
* Fixed Interstellar Tanks Methalox container amounts
* Fixed Power buffer beamed power receivers
* Fixed Drilling Animetion Universal Extractor

I had a look at implementing a debug config option to hide the context menu fields, but short of putting the KSPFields inside a bunch of #if clauses, i have no idea how to do it. 

And i dont think that would be the proper way. 

:(

12 hours ago, Hacki said:

I had a look at implementing a debug config option to hide the context menu fields, but short of putting the KSPFields inside a bunch of #if clauses, i have no idea how to do it. 

And i dont think that would be the proper way. 

:(

#if claused would indeed not be the proper way. The Propery way is to use

part.Fields["fieldname"].guiActive = false;

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm a bit baffled again.. 

I'm working on the fuel swapping in InterstellarFissionMSRGC again.

I found a way to force update the GUI and added handling of symmetry counterparts, but for some reason, any resource i delete gets added back when the vessel is launched. 

Even when i remove all the code and just do a part.Resources.clear(); the resources get removed in the editor, but are back at vessel launch.

I tried this with a couple of different interstellar parts that hold resources, and all of them regain their original resource configs on vessel launch. 

Any ideas? 

May i ask what the point of 

deltaTime = (deltaTime >= 1.0 ? deltaTime : 1.0);

in UniversalCrustExtractor, line 757, is? 

I know what it does, but i found it irritating enough that the resource extraction rate wouldnt change at low timewarp levels that i started digging around in the code again. :D

On 8/25/2017 at 2:46 AM, Hacki said:

May i ask what the point of 

deltaTime = (deltaTime >= 1.0 ? deltaTime : 1.0);

in UniversalCrustExtractor, line 757, is? 

I know what it does, but i found it irritating enough that the resource extraction rate wouldnt change at low timewarp levels that i started digging around in the code again. :D

Don't know but I think the whole line can be removed

Official release Version 1.15.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.0 which can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-08-27

• Updated bundled IFS to 2.8 Which introduces a many new specialized resource tanks made by @Eleusis La Arwall
  • Updated bundled CRP to 0.7.2
  • Added X-Ray Free Electron Laser Turret by Eleusis La Arwall
  • Added improved model Magnetic Nozzle by @SpaceMouse
  • Added ability of Diode Laser Turret to transmit in Soft X-Rays
  • Added Diamagnetic Antihydrogen storage container by Eleusis La Arwall
  • Added Charged Particle containing for storing solar wind particles by Eleusis La Arwall
  • Added Infratable Gas Tank by Eleusis La Arwall
  • Added improved convection for submerged radiators
  • Added Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion Reactor
  • Added Added Blanket Rectenna Receiver by @silversliver
  • Added automated alternative fuel type selection for fusion reactors
  • Added Science Drill * Universal Auger
  • Added improved GUI Universal Drill Extractor
  • Added Improve Interface Regolith Processing
  • Added exit Apoapsis and exit Periapsis to Warp Control Interface
  • Added resource switchers ISRU Processor
  • Added IntakeLqd pump capacity to universal drill
  • Added Mean Anomaly and DeltaV or Orbit to Alcubiere Control Window
  • Added Inflatable Crashpad Gas Tank
  • Added Double Pivot Photostatic X-Ray Receiver
  • Added Ability to connected to beam generator indirectly
  • Re balanced cost thermal radiators
  • Re-balanced beamed power
  • Balance: Soft deleted Interstellar Fuel tanks
  • Balance: Reduced minimum Nuclear Engines my 50%, this will also reduce Thermal Electric Power Output by 50%
  • Fixed Regolith processing ability to function off-screen
  • Fixed Antimatter Electric Power generation
  • Fixed Reactor resource output, implicitly fixing premature actinides poisoning
  • Fixed Deuterium refining from Regolith
  • Fixed loss of power after docking
  • Fixed spamming Universal Drill Gui
  • Fixed Mass growth for Tweakaled Radiators
  • Fixed Exploit staged Thermal Reactor
  • Fixed active ad offline fuel usage nuclear engines
  • Fixed thrust unbalance with multiple nuclear engines
  • Fixed Issue where vessels with antimatter would explode when being unloaded
  • Fixed issue build In thermal electric generator not functioning properly, like Timerwind
  • Fixed exception log spamming on Timberwind
  • Fixed Interstellar Tanks Methalox container amounts
  • Fixed Power buffer beamed power receivers
  • Fixed Drilling Animation Universal Extractor
  • Fixed Power cost RCS in Near Future mode
  • Fixed Resource production universal drill at low time warp
  • Fixed Drilling animation

Bug with AGI computer core data limit 1MB (6.4 Science) on transmitting

The AGI never transmits mire than 1 MB of data, all other Science is lost. When someone could confirm this, I would like to ask to take this on the buglist. Due to my heavily  modded game, I hope not to see the error at the wrong place - so if I do, let me know ....

(Thanks for the update - sorry that this is off-topic)

1 hour ago, KerbolExplorer said:

hi

im curently  traying to use warp drive to travel to another star but i have no idea how to use it

i press the botton that says start producing exotic matter but it doesnt prodece any

so could someone explain me how to use the warp drive

thanks in advanced

A lot of KSPIE warp engine is somehow affected by curvature of space (a.k.a Gravity) it determines maximum speed and indirectly power cost. The less space is affected by gravity, the easier it is to travel at higher warp speeds. The cost of warp travel is at it lowest, exactly the light speed, going faster or slower will increase the energy cost per second. However when traveling faster than light, the cost for the amount of distance traveled becomes cheaper the faster you travel , so in order to save reactor fuel, you want to travel as fast as possible, especially when traveling light years . Going slower will increase both power cost and fuel cost Traveling slowing that light is required near a gravity well (celestrial body) The stronger the gravity well, the more the surrounding space is affected and the lower the maximum speed near it surface. The power cost is also affected by the Warp power to mass ratio. The more warp power your vessel is equipped with (relative to your mass) the faster (and slower) you can travel. Before you travel you need to generate enough exotic mass to generate to create a large enough negative curvature to create a warp bubble allowing you travel faster than light. If you receive message you have insufficient power, move away further from a gravity well, add more powerful reactors or more warp power to your vessel. Once the warp drive is fully charged, you can active warp you you will travel at the speed set, which need to be lower than the maximum speed. There a special user interface which allows you to access the most important functionality and information from a single window.  While traveling at warp at normal time, to change your direct at will. You can alse increase or decrease you speed (including during time warp) which will affect your effective heading. During travel you reactors must continue to produce exotic matter to maintain the warp field. When you reactor start to produce power than needed, you warp drive will first to attempt to reduce power stain by reducing speed when going faster than light or faster when going slower than light. If that fails, you will drop out of warp. When dropping out of warp, either by will or because of insufficient power requirement, your speed will be return to your original speed your had in the galaxy, which means if you start from orbit from kerbin, the speed of kerbin aound  it star (and your local star around the center of the galaxy) is added to your final speed. This speed will be reduced depending on the proximity of the local celestial body if you are nearby the surface of a gravity well. If you navigate well, you an travel between planet within a few minus ad end in orbit around another planet. The trick will be to drop out of warp exactly at the right moment at the most favorable location

Edited by FreeThinker

So, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but, I keep getting console spam "Transmitter vessel is equal to receiver vessel" on my simple relay rover and two huge transmitter solar-thermal towers "Solar Thermal power mirror receiver".

Pretty sure console spam isn't supposed to happen. Appears to work fine otherwise.

I'm currently working on a new model for the Thermal Launch Nozzle to get myself familiar with engines. Here is the current state:

a8gjsz9.png

My knowledge about rocket nozzles is rather limited and I hope for some feedback on how realistic my approach is for a launch-nozzle.

On another topic: Is someone currently working on a model for the thermal electric generator or the charged particle electric generator?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.