KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

5 hours ago, danielboro said:

and I think they are on the wrong fuel (U-235 instead of UF4)

U-235 is just the active molecule it will use for fission power generation. The Actual fuel Resource can either be EnrichedUranium, UraniumNitride or UF4 and it wont require any micro management

Edited by FreeThinker

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

U-235 is just the active molecule it will use for fission power generation. The Actual fuel Resource can either be EnrichedUranium, UraniumNitride or UF4 and it wont require any micro management

ok

any idea way thy are off? and how to get them back online?

i did an eva whit an engineer but i didn't have an option to turn them on

p.s.
i did a test to see how KSPI effect the game by deleting the KSPI dll`s.
the mod has a very big effect
~4x faster after removing the dll`s
is ther any thing you can do to lessen the effect of the mod on the game?

A new beta can be download 1.16.2.2 can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added Helium scooping from Thermosphere and Exosphere with Magnetic scoop

* Balance: Reduced power cost Alcubiere Warp drive electric power cost

* Fixed extreme drag cause by FAR in combination with magnetic scoop

* Fixed Magnetic Scoop interstellar resource collection to be affected by vessel speed

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

A new beta can be download 1.16.2.2 can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added Helium scooping from Thermosphere and Ionosphere with Magnetic scoop

* Balance: Reduced power cost Alcubiere Warp drive electric power cost

* Fixed extreme drag cause by FAR in combination with magnetic scoop

* Fixed Magnetic Scoop interstellar resource collection to be affected by vessel speed

Isn't Ionosphere inside of atmosphere limit? Or you meant magnetosphere?

How abundant is Helium4 in Solar/Interstellar wind?

Also how fast ship must be to get useful amounts of Hydrogen from interstellar wind?

Edit: Magnetic scoop still lags in VAB, when FAR is present.

Edited by raxo2222

22 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Isn't Ionosphere inside of atmosphere limit? Or you meant magnetosphere?

Ah yes, I confused the Ionosphere with the exosphere. The atmosphere is simulated up to 10000 km

How abundant is Helium4 in Solar/Interstellar wind?

About 19%

Also how fast ship must be to get useful amounts of Hydrogen from interstellar wind?

Combined with the Bussard fusion engine, at full thrust you need to travel at +/- 2% of the speed of light to consume the same amount of hydrogen as is collected.

Edited by FreeThinker

It seems like there is buffering problem with refrigator.

It works slower than it should be at higher time warp

https://imgur.com/a/2m8CG

Edit: magnetic scoop doesn't take relativistic effects under calculations.

1N3WnVQ.jpg

Drag and material gathered should increase rapidly when approaching ultrarelativistic speeds.

Edit: This solar wind fueled p-p (muon-catalyzed) He3-He3 (tri-alpha) fusion power plant, that produces shortest wavelength beam has pretty low efficiency :P

1 TW of raw power -> 100 GW X-ray beam.

But solar wind is renewable :P

https://imgur.com/a/nem6n

Why Muon Catalyzed reactor doesn't use positrons?

Edited by raxo2222

20 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

magnetic scoop doesn't take relativistic effects under calculations.

1N3WnVQ.jpg

Drag and material gathered should increase rapidly when approaching ultra-relativistic speeds.

Considering time dilation effects I would rather expect the opposite but I'm not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think even at ultra-relativistic speeds the law of preservation of momentum and and mass still apply therefore drag and material collected should remain the same.

Edited by FreeThinker

30 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Considering time dilation effects I would rather expect the opposite but I'm not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think even at ultra-relativistic speeds the law of preservation of momentum and and mass still apply therefore drag and material collected should remain the same.

Well in my spaceship all incoming solar wind particles are stored in solar wind collector, then refrigerator separates particles and then they are pumped to fusion reactors/engines.

Or magnetic field already slows down incoming particles and not just directs them at collector?

Edited by raxo2222

2 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Or magnetic field already slows down incoming particles and not just directs them at collector?

For sake of simplicity, I'm assuming all momentum of collected material is slow down (or speed up) to the speed of the vessel

What about Tri-Alpha reaction fusion mode?

Its chain is He4 + He4 ->  Be8 and Be8 + He4 -> C12

Resulting carbon could be used for both cold and hot CNO cycle.

If Tri-Alpha fusion requirements are same or similiar as cold or hot CNO cycle, then effectively you could use hydrogen and helium as fusion fuel - Tri-Alpha would act as CNO cycle breeder, that produces catalyst and uses its He4 product.

Edited by raxo2222

10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, I'm planning to add as a mode to the Moun Catalysed fusion, but it will require significantly more maintenance power

And you said somewhere that CNO fusion cycle is much more energetic than p-p fusion, will be it good enough to offset Tri-Alpha high maintenance energy?

Where this mode of fusion will be available? It has both cold and hot version.

Why p-p mode produces Helium3 instead of Deutrium?

https://imgur.com/a/h64kh

There is reactor control window showing, that in both fusion modes it produces He3, where p-D produces much more he3 per second than p-p mode.

2 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Why p-p mode produces Helium3 instead of Deutrium?

Well there are 2 reasons, 1 p-p fusion itself produce low amount of power, less power than it produces and D-p fusion has a very high reactivity compered to p-p fusion meaning any Deuterium will quickly Fuse with protons. Since they both produce Gamma energy I decided to tread them as a single fusion reaction generating positive net energy

There is reactor control window showing, that in both fusion modes it produces He3, where p-D produces much more he3 per second than p-p mode.

As said before Reactivity  p-D is much higher. You could see this as a high performance mode in comparison to p-p fusion

Edited by FreeThinker

There is Antimatter Initiated reactor, that uses tiny amount of uranium and antimatter and Deuterium/He3 fusion fuels.

Can it use different fusion modes and positrons? You can make positrons anywhere, while there is no dedicated antimatter producer.

Will be CNO fusion cycle fueled with hydrogen from solar wind be ultimate solution for beam network?

That is self fueling beam network.

It looks like interstellar wind flux is higher than solar wind flux at Earth orbit.

Edited by raxo2222

13 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

There is Antimatter Initiated reactor that can uses tiny amount of uranium and antimatter and Deuterium/He3 fusion fuels.

Can it use different fusion modes and positrons?

Nope, it will continue to require anti protons (which can either be antimatter or ant helium). But me might add more a neutronic fusion modes making it more diverse

And will be CNO fusion cycle fueled with hydrogen from solar wind be ultimate solution for beam network?

Considering it produces more power than a comparatively thermal solar , yes it would be, but the technical requirement would be high

It looks like interstellar wind flux is higher than solar wind flux at Earth orbit.

Yes I still need to adjust the density of interstellar dust near stars, which should be lower then between stars.

Edited by FreeThinker

And you said somewhere that CNO fusion cycle is much more energetic than p-p fusion, will be it good enough to offset Tri-Alpha high maintenance energy?

I'm thinking about offering CNO in 2 versions , either as an all in one CNO cycle (low reactivity) mode or in 3 separate modes, each feeding each-other   requiring each a separate rector. Using the 3 separate modes would be more powerfull than all reactor running in Cycle mode

Edited by FreeThinker

I just wanted to state my opinion, that I think that any bug(s) with wasteheat, radiators, and reactors/generators should be the main priority right now as opposed to any new content.

I would go back to a more recent version, but all my other mods are for KSP 1.3.1.

As of right now I really just can't use this mod, let alone any new content, because of these bugs, and I think many users feel the same way.

This isn't meant to be a mean/critical statement, I just think it's important and helpful for a mod dev to be aware of what's going on with the mod users. I say this as someone who is also a programmer.

Let me know what you think is most important right now.

We have a new problem. You can have way more power than you need for warp 1, but going to warp still fails because of something happening with the warp calculator resetting to .100c. Given I know of no other mods that interact with the warp calculations being installed, confidence this is core to something in KSPIE's code is high, but I can't figure out what it would be. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208324847

To clarify, KSPIE is the only mod I have that has anything at all to do with FTL and FTL calculations to my knowledge. 22 minutes of testing for you there, different situations and with an F5/F9 reload to try to help parse what's causing it. Total power output at warp attempts is around 5.4 GW with the tri-alphas at 2 and the generator producing around 1.4 unstable, but the FTL engines say they only need 2.6 GW for warp 1. 

Running on most recent test release .2.2.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

I have problem with Closed Cycle Gas Core Reactor and Timberwind Nuclear Particle Bed Engine. When I add these parts to a ship or have one and want to change type of fuel nothing happens. It doesn't show propellant name. The base, the max isp, the min isp and decomposition is shown as 0 .  Here is the image showing the problem and log from that situation. I'm using the latest beta (1.16.2.3).

Album https://imgur.com/a/qKiDP will appear when post is submitted
From here I would like also to propose adding thermal turboramjet and scramjet which would allow to make spaceplanes for Duna and Eve and use atmosphere as propellant as long as possible on the Kerbin. They would be logical step from turbojets and they could exist in the real world. I used thermal turbojet but I found that I need extra speed for my planes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.