KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

3 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I have a question about "electic priority"

By setting the number higher, does it mean the part will get the power first ?

No, lower number means this part will get power first.

And I found out that KSPI-E RCS thruster plume appears at the opposite direction of what it should be

For example, when the forward thrust is on, the plume appears on the same direction of accelaration, where it shouldn't be.

Another bug related to plume: plasma nozzle has no plume

Edited by Iso-Polaris

18 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I'm aware that Antimatter can be collect by the ring thing, but how do i get positron

Positrons can be generated with the Free Electron Laser

14 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

And I found out that KSPI-E RCS thruster plume appears at the opposite direction of what it should be

For example, when the forward thrust is on, the plume appears on the same direction of accelaration, where it shouldn't be.

Does it still generate thrust in the right direction?

Mach Effect Thruster + QSR is just glorious.

I have 5m sized ship and radiators set at equiblirum of 3700 K at worst case.

As it accelerates its propellant efficiency increases because it goes faster.

As propellant efficiency increases it consumes more power and accelerates harder.

As acceleration increases temperature of radiators increase lowering thermal efficiency of engine.

Relativistic/thermal effects will slow down engine after some time.

CoKKKfU.jpg

GDIL4Yd.jpg

EJvQbVg.jpg

q1sMbPs.jpg

hexwe1j.jpg

SvNhsv5.jpg

xNnLgyP.jpg

03HiQCL.jpg

yHZMpDJ.jpg

EzDNj8J.jpg

4Ascqh7.jpg

TIkf5XM.jpg

Cc3F9QZ.jpg

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Positrons can be generated with the Free Electron Laser

Does it still generate thrust in the right direction?

I thought Laser is for power transmition. How do I generate positron out of it?

The RCS still generate thrust in the right direction, just the plume is all wrongg

@FreeThinker Vasimr consumes more power at 10% throttle than 100% throttle due to propellant efficiency.

Basically if propellant efficiency is higher then engine will consume more power, is it intentional?

That happens to all electrical engines even with temperature cheat.

Edited by raxo2222

love the mod mate, however.. um thought i might let you know.. you might of not put the decimal in the right spot on the dawn xenon engine in this release... i uhhh... noticed this while trying to move one of my satellites around.. XD o well unlimited power cheat till that gets fixed on those guys

now i might be wrong.. but something tells me this wasnt intended .. XD 

https://imgur.com/eli4MMq

( thought i would post it here as well)

Edited by stephen95s

13 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Just curious,if I put the latest KSPI-E release into 1.3.1 ksp, will it work?

im gessing the same as if you use a version for 1.3.1 in 1.4.3
the game never loads
that wat happened to me, the loading stopped on vasmir

Hello! I just wanted to say thank you for all the hard work put into this mod. I haven't played a game of KSP with Interstellar since back when Scott Manley's Interstellar quest was still in progress. I have finally got a career mode game towards the end of the tech tree so I can start using the more advanced parts from this mod, and wow there have been so many changes. I used to be pretty competant with Interstellar back in .18, but now there is so much more content in this mod. It's going to take me a long while to relearn this mod. I had no idea that there was so much work done on here, and so far, I really like the changes that I have come across. I haven't been this excited playing KSP in a very long time! I'm plan on taking my time unlocking techs and gradually learning.

Sofar I have unlocked all the fission reactors and set up an orbital power station and figured out how to refuel it.

My next step will be to start experimenting with beamed power. I want to use beamed power to power my crew transports and perhaps my ore miners going to and from LKO and the moon.

I've already seen that beamed power is much more complicated than I am used to. I haven't started on it yet, but if anyone has any advice before I start I would appreciate it.

11 hours ago, Rabada said:

I've already seen that beamed power is much more complicated than I am used to. I haven't started on it yet, but if anyone has any advice before I start I would appreciate it.

Well regarding beamed bower, you need to match your ambition with what technology is available. Initially, beamed power will be very limited but gradually with more advanced tech unlocked, when more powerful transmitters, shorter wavelength and high efficiency becomes active it can become mindblowing powerful.  There is a wide array of transmitters and receivers available, each has specific advantages and disadvantages. The trick is not to find the right tool for the job but to think ahead. Beamed power should not be viewed as a single mission tool, but part of your space infrastructure.  You can go crazy building solar system wide beamed power network but you should never forget that the primary goal of beamed power is to make space travel cheaper, initially with electric engines and solar cells, later with rectennas, x-ray receivers and photon sails.

My advice strategy is to initially as a way to supercharge your existing solar cell powered electric craft. The trick is to combine KSPIE ability to accelerate high isp engines during timewarp with Persistent rotation to spiral out of the system fast, then at your destination planet, you put a beamed power station in a high polar orbit. After you placed a beamed power station in a planet orbit you can make cheap electric power ships as a fast ferry between Kerbin and the planet.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 5/12/2018 at 11:54 PM, Iso-Polaris said:

Just curious,if I put the latest KSPI-E release into 1.3.1 ksp, will it work?

No, but is there are a particular reason you need it to work in KSP 1.3.1?

On 5/9/2018 at 7:17 PM, raxo2222 said:

Mach Effect Thruster + QSR is just glorious.

I have 5m sized ship and radiators set at equiblirum of 3700 K at worst case.

As it accelerates its propellant efficiency increases because it goes faster.

As propellant efficiency increases it consumes more power and accelerates harder.

As acceleration increases temperature of radiators increase lowering thermal efficiency of engine.

Relativistic/thermal effects will slow down engine after some time.

Technically speaking yes, but I recently learned it does not scale as optimistic I have it currently implemented. Rather it scales with relativity factor, meaning as you approach the speed of light, you gain more relativistic mass which in the case of the Mach effect would make the engine to appear to gain strength while from outside reference frame it remains the same.

One major problem is that the Mach effect is limited by the density of the actuators. Ideally, you use something which has super high density. Something like a singularity might work. @kerbiloid Idea was to vibrate the magnetic field holding the singularity might do the trick.

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@kerbiloid

That's because Im using KSPI-E on a RSS-Scale planet pack (actually it's 10.625x rescaled GPP)

KSPI usually overshoots the DV in a stock-sized system.

since Sigma-Dimension only works with 1.3.1, i would have no choice.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:27 PM, FreeThinker said:

Technically speaking yes, but I recently learned it does not scale as optimistic I have it currently implemented. Rather it scales with relativity factor, meaning as you approach the speed of light, you gain more relativistic mass which in the case of the Mach effect would make the engine to appear to gain strength while from outside reference frame it remains the same.

One major problem is that the Mach effect is limited by the density of the actuators. Ideally, you use something which has super high density. Something like a singularity might work. @kerbiloid Idea was to vibrate the magnetic field holding the singularity might do the trick.

As propellant efficiency increases power consumption increases and thrust increases... doubly.

It is case for all electric engines, that they consume more power if they are more propellant efficient.

On 5/19/2018 at 1:39 PM, FreeThinker said:

I see, Alright, I uploaded a backport to 1.3.1 for the latest KSPIE 1.9.2 release. It is just a recompile and did not verify in game. Please let me know if it works

I just wanted to add my thanks for this. For all us RSS users maintaining a "release behind" is really appreciated.

(Note I haven't had a chance to test and might not for a while, but I still appreciate the effort.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.