KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

24 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I know, I meant which one is better at producing electricity.

Well if your main goal is is to produce antihydrogen, the QSR produces an excess of positrons which you either vent into space, store for your  positron power vessels or use if for power production.

25 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Why beam core one can't be used with MHD, but just with normal thermal generator?

proton antiproton reactor is not ideally suited for MHD power production because heating up a gas is hard with hard gamma rays  which pass though it as it not there.

Edited by FreeThinker

Besides beamed photon propulsion, another big change in the solar-sail, are the effects of drag which in the case of a solar sail can be excessive which will limit their uses to high orbit, or risk dragging down to the atmosphere

Ud5D8re.jpg

Of course that might also be the intention

Edited by FreeThinker

My thermal ramjets from Interstellar, and only interstellar, are exploding from heat despite the presence of intakes on every intake.. any idea what may be causing it? I mean I've tried precoolers everywhere. Waste heat is fine, but it looks like game physics heat is murdering the thermal ramjets. Also it doesn't look like for some reason on the normal stack the liquid and compressed air are flowing to the engines through the generator or receivers anymore.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

33 minutes ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

Also it doesn't look like for some reason on the normal stack the liquid and compressed air are flowing to the engines through the generator or receivers anymore.

what do you mean by that?

10 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

what do you mean by that?

Well, it's weird. Neither will use liquid at all like it's not being provided, though intake atmosphere has no problem getting to them, and the compressed air is only being used at like .00008 / second. When intake atmosphere is used, the nozzles explode from overheating despite an abundance of pre-coolers.

The beam photon trust control is pretty straight forward

vI7r8h4.png

There are 2 controls, the beamed photon throttle float range which control the overall consumed power of available power and a switch button that controls the desired pushing direction, either forward or backward. As long as the beam of energy hits the solar sail from one side it will move in the opposite direction of the solar sail. The smaller the vessel in comparison the the beamed power station, the greater the speed can be achieved. It can be scaled down to a diameter of 10 cm, cube-sat size.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...

@FreeThinker It just looked like a fuel flow problem. It was actually a power shortage. I wasn't generating enough KN to burn the fuel/compressed air at a sufficient rate.. so it looked like it was either choking or not passing fuel. Question, as a feature, could you make some sort of warning on thermal engines when there is insufficient power to operate the engine? Something a little more obvious than the KN limit being posted because sometimes the amount of KN able to be generated isn't obvious on a complex grid. I mean the engine is obviously detecting there is not enough power to function, so should be bale to just put a quick text insert, like where the "flame-out" message occurs so the exact nature of the problem is more apparent. Be slightly more user friendly.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

@FreeThinker It just looked like a fuel flow problem. It was actually a power shortage. I wasn't generating enough KN to burn the fuel/compressed air at a sufficient rate.. so it looked like it was either choking or not passing fuel. Question, as a feature, could you make some sort of warning on thermal engines when there is insufficient power to operate the engine? Something a little more obvious than the KN limit being posted because sometimes the amount of KN able to be generated isn't obvious on a complex grid. I mean the engine is obviously detecting there is not enough power to function, so should be bale to just put a quick text insert, like where the "flame-out" message occurs so the exact nature of the problem is more apparent. Be slightly more user friendly.

thermal engines don't require power, only reactor and processors are.  In this case, the processor responsible for creating compressed air probably didn't get enough power to operate properly, causing the whole system to choke.

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

thermal engines don't require power, only reactor and processors are.  In this case, the processor responsible for creating compressed air probably didn't get enough power to operate properly, causing the whole system to choke.

They do require power, thermal power, which I wasn't generating enough of. You see I'd buy the compressor explanation, except that standard liquid fuel also wouldn't ignite either in the presence of intake air. That's what I meant by not enough power.. there wasn't enough thermal energy, or didn't appear to be, to reach the ignition threshold on those fuel types. Compressed air was being generated. I checked that on the compressors.. 1 of them.. and only 1.. was drawing any power from the thermal generator because the slow burn rate of the engine. The others were active, but with no output or electrical draw because the tanks were full. I even emptied one and it almost immediately and fully re-filled with compressed air  with a full electrical load draw of 20 MW so I confirmed the compressors were working. On low engine throttle, the generator was producing more electric than could be consumed. it was only after very extensive testing of all the components to validate their function that I arrived at the solution there was not enough power to ignite the fuel to hit the thrust threshold. Additionally, the moment I deployed a pebble bed 2 GW reactor and linked it into the relay system, the jet took off like a bat out of hell producing up to 1000 KN thrust on compressed fuel. Also The ratios of the receiver to engine were also good. Very close to 100%. The only thing I couldn't test at the point I was having trouble was the power being insufficient, because if I was right that meant either a ton more power stations that would be loathsome to deploy, or wait for the tech for pebble-bed. So I waited and when I deployed, literally the first reactor.. it worked like a charm on all fuel types.

Insufficient thermal power for thrust bearing ignition threshold.. pretty much the problem in a nutshell.

Version 1.19.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2018-06-23

• Compiled against KSP 1.4.4
  • Included new PhotonSail plugin, which reintroduces the SolarSail with improved realism and ability to be propelled by Bea med power
  • Added Replaced hard coded Field Strength modifiers by configurable modifiers
  • Fixed Magnetic Field Strength initialization (credits by Jumberjack)

Is there anyone that already is translating this mod to pt-br? If no, I can do it. Not that this will be finished tomorrow. But if it already has someone, tell me, that I won't waste my time.

20 hours ago, juanvmr said:

Is there anyone that already is translating this mod to pt-br? If no, I can do it. Not that this will be finished tomorrow. But if it already has someone, tell me, that I won't waste my time.

Nope go right ahead with Portuguese translation

On 6/26/2018 at 5:58 PM, FreeThinker said:

Nope go right ahead with Portuguese translation

Another question. How can I do this? Because portuguese has those accents in words, and other special letters which do not have on english. I saw the dictionary file from stock Squad files, and looks normal, not different from the one I'm creating. But in-game, the game does not recognizes those letters, just appears squares. I'm using windows wordpad to do it, but is there a special program that I must use?

Edit: Done. Just had to save in UTF and not Only Text.

Edited by juanvmr
Problem solved

7 hours ago, alexander_xxx said:

The code was not changed for 1.3.1?
If I compile the code from github to Interstellar.dll, it will work with 1.3.1?

Yep, as far as I can verify it, it should work in either 1.3.1 or any 1.4+. The main issue are it dependencies, which need to have the correct version, like module manager, tweakscale.

53 minutes ago, juanvmr said:

Another question. How can I do this? Because portuguese has those accents in words, and other special letters which do not have on english. I saw the dictionary file from stock Squad files, and looks normal, not different from the one I'm creating. But in-game, the game does not recognizes those letters, just appears squares. I'm using windows wordpad to do it, but is there a special program that I must use?

What is important is that you use an editor which supports UTF coding.  I would recommend notepad++ which is free and one of the best editors.

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello there. Just returned to KSP after a long break, installed my favourite KSPI and had some fun. Found a little strange patch, which makes small vanilla ion engine soooo hungry: about 17480 ec/s. Patch is applied as I have not NFT installed. Are these numbers intended?

@PART[ionEngine]:NEEDS[!NearFutureElectrical,!SETI]
{
   @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
   {
        @PROPELLANT[ElectricCharge]
        {
            //@name = Megajoules
            @ratio *= 2000
        }
   }

!MODULE[ElectricEngineThrustLimiter]{}
}

2 hours ago, Khalkion said:

Hello there. Just returned to KSP after a long break, installed my favourite KSPI and had some fun. Found a little strange patch, which makes small vanilla ion engine soooo hungry: about 17480 ec/s. Patch is applied as I have not NFT installed. Are these numbers intended?

@PART[ionEngine]:NEEDS[!NearFutureElectrical,!SETI]
{
   @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
   {
        @PROPELLANT[ElectricCharge]
        {
            //@name = Megajoules
            @ratio *= 2000
        }
   }

!MODULE[ElectricEngineThrustLimiter]{}
}

Yes, the Ion engine is a primitive electric engine (by KSPIE standards) which like all other engine has to abide the laws of physics. The great thing about the Ion engine is can function on Kilowatt rather than Megawatt like it more advanced electric engine counterparts. But that means you need to burn it for month rather than minutes. You can achieve this with the persistant thrust mod and for navigation you should use the solarsail navigator, but I agree with you this is not ideal and it would be better if the ion engine is capable of persistent thrust out of the box. What I can do is add a little configuration which will do that.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 4/6/2018 at 10:09 AM, Blackline said:

You are welcome. I had that problem as well with my mod, and I am using @Nertea's dynamic battery storage mod. It's somehow close to what KSPI-E is doing I think.

What's your plan for such a resource broker? No one did such a thing yet. Would you overwrite the stock requestResource method and catch all requests? Is that possible? Will you change effect all resources?

Ummm, actually... See: 

It does replace the stock RequestResource

The following video sparked my intrest into the subject

From my understanding they imply that a warpdrive is not a drive that will move a vessel though space time, rather it reduces mass inertia and counteracts time dilation, therefore allowing a vessel to accelerate much faster with conventional reaction drives, effectively allowing a vessel to reach much higher speeds, even traveling faster than speed of light.

So in order to maximize a vessel speed, one would have to combine the most powerful reaction drives available, with the most powerful electric power  generators while minimizing overal vessel mass.

From a game mechanistic point of view this is quite attractive concept  as the Alcubiere drive would act more like a engine booster rather than a stand alone drive system making reaction engine mostly obsolete.

One way to achieve this is by adding a custom developed TimeMassScreen partmodule, which reduces a part mass when the warp screen generator is activated. The same partmodule could also increase the mass  depending on it lightspeed when no warp screen is present.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.