KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

The good news is, that NASA finally decided to invest in nuclear propulsion. Few months ago a Nuclear Roadmap was released to the public. The goal for now is a kind of propulsion similar to Nerva, while on the ISS will be tested a VASMIR thruster.

43 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

The good news is, that NASA finally decided to invest in nuclear propulsion. Few months ago a Nuclear Roadmap was released to the public. The goal for now is a kind of propulsion similar to Nerva, while on the ISS will be tested a VASMIR thruster.

So NASA is researching Nuclear Propulsion? :P

1 hour ago, Nansuchao said:

@FreeThinker is there a way to tweak the "sooting" dynamic? In RSS, with a Closed Cycle Gas Core Engine in Methane mode as a third stage rocket to LEO, I lost 50% of the thrust before the orbital insertion was completed.

Yes there are. sootHeatDivider (default 150 which controlls soot accumulation) and sootThrustDivider (default 150  controls the effect on thrust)

Higher number mean reduced effect.  150 means 66% effect,  200 would mean only 50% effect

Edit, by the way, if you edit them, I would advice to use it by Module Manager. THat way, we can also share it and we can add it to KSPI-E to improve compatibility with RSS

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker, have you seen this article by NASA? It contains a lot of good information on a number of theoretical propulsion technologies, including the engineering challenges associated with them, and a number of technologies I haven't seen discussed in this thread anywhere. it might be worth a read

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/2015_nasa_technology_roadmaps_ta_2_in-space_propulsion_final.pdf

I take it this is the correct place to ask about issues with this mod, otherwise feel free to move my post or refer me to where I can ask about issues. I seem to have a slight issue with the tech tree with certain nodes not having any parts in them at all. I started using this mod with an existing science career save, so if that's why then I'll simply have to make a new save. If this is not the cause I'd like assistance with fixing this issue. Other mods I have are Planetary Base Systems, Scatterer, Stock Visual Enhancments and Stockalike Station Parts Expansion. all are updated to the latest versions. 

Here's a screenshot of one of the empty nodes, I looked for any new parts in the VAB, but couldn't seem to find any.

20160612184859_1_zpscolqflvb.jpg

10 minutes ago, Mjarf said:

I take it this is the correct place to ask about issues with this mod, otherwise feel free to move my post or refer me to where I can ask about issues. I seem to have a slight issue with the tech tree with certain nodes not having any parts in them at all. I started using this mod with an existing science career save, so if that's why then I'll simply have to make a new save. If this is not the cause I'd like assistance with fixing this issue. Other mods I have are Planetary Base Systems, Scatterer, Stock Visual Enhancments and Stockalike Station Parts Expansion. all are updated to the latest versions. 

Here's a screenshot of one of the empty nodes, I looked for any new parts in the VAB, but couldn't seem to find any.

20160612184859_1_zpscolqflvb.jpg

Although Nanolathing itself does not unlock any new KSPI-E parts, it does improve the the performance off all graphite based radiator by 60%. In the future I will add a technode placeholder to make this clear

Edited by FreeThinker

When installing KSP Interstellar Extended the stock folding radiators are not able to cool down the stock drills to 500K anymore.

EDIT: To be more precise, no radiator at all is able to cool the drills at least a little bit...

Is this a bug or wanted behaviour?

Edited by Rob2222

I don't know if anyone were to desire it, but here is a module manager config file to add some KSPI-E extraction tech on the squad drill.  It is like 1K (Yes I know you can use it while the drill is not deployed, Just deploy it first if it bothers you). Only the big one as I didn't think the little one deserved it.   @FreeThinker  If you want to use it, feel free. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22126744/KSPI-E.cfg

Edited by Profit-

5 hours ago, Rob2222 said:

When installing KSP Interstellar Extended the stock folding radiators are not able to cool down the stock drills to 500K anymore.

EDIT: To be more precise, no radiator at all is able to cool the drills at least a little bit...

Is this a bug or wanted behaviour?

Configure the radiator for Core Cooling in the VAB

2 hours ago, Profit- said:

I don't know if anyone were to desire it, but here is a module manager config file to add some KSPI-E extraction tech on the squad drill.  It is like 1K (Yes I know you can use it while the drill is not deployed, Just deploy it first if it bothers you). Only the big one as I didn't think the little one deserved it.   @FreeThinker  If you want to use it, feel free. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22126744/KSPI-E.cfg

Is that compatible with RSS?

Edit: Looked at it, and it looks like is fully independent from ORS/CRP.

Looks like next step would be linking with CRP, so resource concentrations would be different on different planets, if CRP supports RSS.

Edited by raxo2222

Hi all, I'm wondering if someone can help me a bit with this mod? I'm new to it, currently trying my first career game with it, and have got to the point where I want to set up a microwave power network, but I can't seem to find a way to generate decent amounts of MJ. My reactors and generators seem to deliver a lot less power than the wiki and YouTube videos seem to suggest they should.

For example, I just launched a test rig in a Sandbox game, with an Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor and a Thermal Electric Generator, both at 3.75m, and put it in a low Kerbin orbit. The charts in the 1st post on this thread say that this reactor should generate 3GW of power, but I'm only getting 3MW with a maximum listed of 30MW in the reactor info tooltip. Here's a screenshot of the whole setup, any idea what I'm doing wrong?:

hReKuXq.jpg

On 6/11/2016 at 9:38 AM, FreeThinker said:

The speed of light itself requires the least amount energy. Traveling faster or slower requires move power. However speed is influenced by a large degree by the curvature of space, in other words, gravity. It means that the higher the gravity pull of any heavily body, the lower the maximum speed possible for a finite amount of power requirement. This effectively means that when a vessel is in a low Kerbin orbit, where the pull of gravity is significant, the maximum warp speed is very low. And since traveling slower than the speed of light requires more power, it means that it will be hard or impossible to generate enough power. To  get around it, you need to bring your vessel further away from the gravity source or install more warp drive power.

Warp Power is achieved by any of the 3 warpdrives in KSP, The Light Warp Engine, the Foldable Warp Engine and the Heavy Warp Engine. The amount of warp power is directly dependent on the mass of the warp drive. Warp drives also stack linear, which means it will not matter if you use 24 ton of light warp drives or a single large warp drive.

As you can see it just won't charge,

37 minutes ago, BoilingCold said:

Hi all, I'm wondering if someone can help me a bit with this mod? I'm new to it, currently trying my first career game with it, and have got to the point where I want to set up a microwave power network, but I can't seem to find a way to generate decent amounts of MJ. My reactors and generators seem to deliver a lot less power than the wiki and YouTube videos seem to suggest they should.

For example, I just launched a test rig in a Sandbox game, with an Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor and a Thermal Electric Generator, both at 3.75m, and put it in a low Kerbin orbit. The charts in the 1st post on this thread say that this reactor should generate 3GW of power, but I'm only getting 3MW with a maximum listed of 30MW in the reactor info tooltip. Here's a screenshot of the whole setup, any idea what I'm doing wrong?:

hReKuXq.jpg

The first thing I notice is that you miss the Blizzy Toolbar, that is required by Interstellar.

Do you have Near Future installed? Cause, in that way, the Interstellar reactors are tweaked to be at the same level of NF.

Just now, Nansuchao said:

The first thing I notice is that you miss the Blizzy Toolbar, that is required by Interstellar.

Do you have Near Future installed? Cause, in that way, the Interstellar reactors are tweaked to be at the same level of NF.

I do have the Blizzy toolbar, it's set to auto-hide up at the top of the screen :)

And yes, NF is installed! So does having them both installed render the KSPI reactors kind of useless? Because a 100-1000 fold reduction in output seems extreme to me.

1 minute ago, BoilingCold said:

I do have the Blizzy toolbar, it's set to auto-hide up at the top of the screen :)

And yes, NF is installed! So does having them both installed render the KSPI reactors kind of useless? Because a 100-1000 fold reduction in output seems extreme to me.

Not useless, just similar to the NF one, otherwise they're on a two different planes.

40 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

would having NF effect the reactor generator output charging the warp drive?

Well it should be, if not it's an oversight

2 hours ago, Eskandare said:

As you can see it just won't charge,

Indeed, there appears to be a mismatch in power, the Warpdrive still demand KSPI-E level power, while you only can generate Near Future power levels. I will upload an fix asp

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, Nansuchao said:

Not useless, just similar to the NF one, otherwise they're on a two different planes.

Hrmm, OK, but does that mean that things like the KSPI Science Lab can't be used if I also have Near Future installed? Since I don't seem to be able to find a way to provide enough power to operate it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.