KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

17 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

The new beta, KSPIE 1.18.0 can finally be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Compiled against KSP 1.4.1

* Added improved Near Future Electrics integration: NF-E reactors now feed Interstellar Megajoule Power Management (credits by @Arivald Ha'gel)

* Added Double Cyclotron part, which can create heaver isotopen from lighter isotopes

* Added Low tech Fission Reactor (credits by @SpaceMouse)

* Added 3 Additional Photovoltaic technodes

* Added Oversized Thermal Microwave Transceiver

* Added improved Model for Muon Catalized Fusion Engine

* Balance: moved more advanced Photovoltaic  receiver higher into tech tree and improved their maximum achievable efficiency

* Balance: modified tech upgrade requirements of many reactors, which depending on their characteristics depend on different tech nodes for upgrades

* Balanced tech upgrades of thermal electric generator which higher efficiencies are now unlock by the new Photovoltaic technodes

* Balance: increase minimum tech requirement Molten Salt Reactor to Advanced Nuclear Power

* Balance: changed all Near Future-Electric nuclear reactors tech requirement to first nuclear power techmode

* Balance: changed power divider in NF mode from 500 to 100

* Fixed UF4 Ammonolysis (credits by Arivald Ha'gel)

* Fixed Timberwind Black artifact exhaust problem

* Fixed missing textures (credits by Arivald Ha'gel)

* Fixed Molten Salt Swap Fuel issue (credits by Arivald Ha'gel)

* Structural: Split parts inside Microwave folder into separate sub folders

* Structural: replaced internal PartModule configuration by Module Manager script  (credits by Arivald Ha'gel)

Thank you so so very much for all of the hard work that I KNOW goes into keeping all of this up to date. It's definitely appreciated!!

Added a new beta KSPIE 1.18.1 which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added: Filter Extension Submenu Microwave split up into Transmitters and Receivers submenu

* Fixed in NF mode, VAB power output will be displayed at 1/100 scale

* Fixed Filter Extension submenu for Generator will now only show stand alone electric generator and Capacitors

* Fixed Filter Extension submenu for Reactor will now only show stand alone reactors

* Fixed size of Wasteheat buffers for generator and microwave receivers in NF mode

Edited by FreeThinker

On 3/24/2018 at 12:59 AM, FreeThinker said:

Added a new beta KSPIE 1.18.1 which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added: Filter Extension Submenu Microwave split up into Transmitters and Receivers submenu

* Fixed in NF mode, VAB power output will be displayed at 1/100 scale

* Fixed Filter Extension submenu for Generator will now only show stand alone electric generator and Capacitors

* Fixed Filter Extension submenu for Reactor will now only show stand alone reactors

* Fixed size of Wasteheat buffers for generator and microwave receivers in NF mode

scaling first reactor change to negative mass and anything you want to build with wheels just explode and don't move or rip apart and reactor float after that. also all thermal jets at low tech produce heat and radiators can't dissipate it, so, with or without radiators is the same. beta 1.18.1 and ksp 1.4.1

Edited by Acvila

4 minutes ago, Acvila said:

scaling first reactor change to negative mass and anything you want to build with wheels just explode and don't move or rip apart and reactor float after that. also all thermal jets at low tech produce heat and radiators can't dissipate it, so, with or without radiators is the same. beta 1.18.1 and ksp 1.4.1

Sorry, could you clarify? what do you mean by first reactor?

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Sorry, could you clarify? what do you mean by first reactor?

first on tech, solid fuel fission reactor.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:37 AM, Acvila said:

Because 1.4.1 happened i start a new campaign and after researching first reactor, first turbojet, first transmitter, first receiver and so on, i managed to get from transmitters(laser diode, i think) only 30 MW from a 300MW reactor with 20tones(450MW dissipation) radiators which give just 60MW power? then the plane i made with mk1 receiver and thermal jet and the plane keep heating(worst with radiators) till explode? i thought thermal jets doesn't heat, is it normal? kspi 1.18.1 beta

the part with low power i think it's because of low tech, and only 20% efficiency, but i don't understand why receiver connected to a thermal jet produce heat which can't be dissipated(at least with radiators that let me fly the plane)

LE

seems that over heating on thermal jet appear when i get low power from transmitters, like 50-60MW, at over 100-150MW disappear, i did test with inline mk1 receiver 1 and 2, results better with 2 and they were scaled down to 1.25m

LLE

also thermal jet attached to solid fuel fission reactor does not provide any power, reactor stay at 1% no waste heat delivered to engine.

Edited by Acvila

22 hours ago, Acvila said:

the part with low power i think it's because of low tech, and only 20% efficiency, but i don't understand why receiver connected to a thermal jet produce heat which can't be dissipated(at least with radiators that let me fly the plane)

Alright, so we are talking about stock heat, which was too high to dissipate quickly enough. Exactly what size was the thermal jet?

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, so we are talking about stock heat, which was too high to dissipate quickly enough. Exactly what size was the thermal jet?

very smal, but i see this happening with all planes when they get low power, when power it's high they don't overheat at full speed, only when you are far from transmitter and get low power they start overheating. if you make a very low powered transmitter at abot 50MW and try a small plane you will see what i talk about. if you want craft files i will make something stock + kspi

Edited by Acvila

The latest beta  1.18.2 can be downloaded from here

* Added Open Cycle Gas Core Rocket (Model & Texture by @TiktaalikDreaming)

* Added Made Upgrades in Tech screen have a green background, making them easier to identify from parts

* Added Daedalus, Bussard and Epstein Fusion engine thrust now depend on a wide range of high tech nodes

* Balanced: Made power upgrades Open Cycle Gas Core reactors depend on Thermal Management tech nodes

* Fixed Solid Fission Reactor mass scaling issue

Edited by FreeThinker

Hi All.

I think I'm doing something VERY wrong.

1. I'm only getting 1.2 GW from the QSR - even though it's 100% active and burning 2.5g/hour.  I think I should be getting closer to 500 GW.

2. The Plasma Beam Antimatter Reactor is only getting 2 GW MAX and never goes above 4% (76 MW) - even though I'm burning 1g / hour.    I should be getting closer to 1000 GW.

3. Positron Antimatter Reactor seem to do nothing even though it shows Active.

4. I can't find the Muon Catalyzed Fusion Reactor anyplace - I think I'm missing a MOD.

The WasteHeat seems controlled - so I don't think that's an issue. I'm also using a X-Ray laser to consume lots of power.

thanks!

wrong.png

On 12/12/2017 at 9:53 PM, raxo2222 said:

Lets see who can get more power on pure Hydrogen.....

Muon Catalyzed Fusion Reactor or QSR reactor.

QSR is so energetic, that only Wrapped Microwave Thermal Receiver is big enough to be comfortably used as radiator.

iMFTkxd.jpg

Lets normalize Hydrogen usage to 1g/hour:

Muon Catalyzer reactor: 60  MW

QSR: 25960 MW

QSR can get 433x more power from same amount of Hydrogen.

This means if pure p-p muon catalyzed fusion powered by solar wind can function at 1 AU, then QSR would be fine at 21 AU!

That is Uranus orbit distance!

I guess aliens don't need Dyson spheres, as they can fuel their QSRs with solar wind.

Lets see how antimatter reactors fare in mass -> energy conversion.

HujPM43.jpg

Positron Antimatter Reactor consumes electron and all it produces is high energy photons.

500 GW produced, if consumption was 1g of positron per hour.

Antiproton Antimatter Reactor - this one produces whole mess of particles.

16.3 GW produced for 0.5g of protons + 0.5g of antiprotons per hour consumed.

QSR produces 26 GW if consumption was 1g/hour.

With KSP 1.4.2 and  KSPI-E 1.18.2 the game is stuck at loading the VASIMR2;

QFansN2.png

[EXC 10:17:13.434] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Workshop.Recipes.WorkshopRecipeLoader+<LoadPartRecipes>d__4.MoveNext ()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

LOGFILE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu8drxdco3mph98/KSP.log?dl=0

Edit: deleting the Part folder "VASIMR2" in subdir "Engines" --> hangs on VASIMR...

Edit 2: scratch it, might be another mod...

Edit 3: it was EL or OSE Workshop, and both are not 1.4.x ready, so my fault!

Edit 4: it was @Aelfhe1m's OSE

Edited by Blackline

Nevermind that thing before, i have another issue: the molten salt reactor is not showing up if i research nuclear power. But it shows up in the VAB if i unlock one more node. 

The parts cfg says: TechRequired = largeNuclearPower, but why does it show up in one node earlier then??

5 hours ago, celestis said:

Hi! Installation instruction says to install Heat Control, but it is only available for 1.3.1. What should I do?

Heat Control is only used for it model and art files, so it doesn't matter if isn't available in 1.4.1

6 hours ago, enewmen said:

1. I'm only getting 1.2 GW from the QSR - even though it's 100% active and burning 2.5g/hour.  I think I should be getting closer to 500 GW.

Well before KSPIE 1.18, it used a divider of 500 in NF mode so 1.2 GW  (640 GW / 500 =  1.28) sounds about right if you have Near Future Electrics installed

After KSPIE 1.18, is uses a divider of 100 in NF mode, which would mean you should have 6.4 GW of power in Near Furure mode. Since you haven't it appears you use an pre 1.18 version

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, enewmen said:

2. The Plasma Beam Antimatter Reactor is only getting 2 GW MAX and never goes above 4% (76 MW) - even though I'm burning 1g / hour.    I should be getting closer to 1000 GW.

The Plasma Beam antimatter fusion reactor can only be used at full power when used for propulsion with a magnetic nozzle. When used for electric power is limited to only 4%. The reason for this is because of balance and realism. The amount of power would simply too high for your vessel to handle

Edited by FreeThinker

KSP doesn't bother with the needed radiators for my low tech atomic jet, but why in hell do i need soooooo much radiators for a simple setup like this? If i don't use those huge radiators, my turbojet engine just overheats and explodes... Setup is 2x ( thermoelectirc generator + moltensalt + thermal turbojet) @1.25m radius

YNzX0aR.jpg

Oh and btw, those radiators are still not enough... they only cool 1.6MW, although the ingame description says 93MW and the helper settles somehwere inbetween at ~21MW. Why has all the Energy has to be cooled away? Arent the Engines here to use that heat?

SlHc9ZR.png

Yay, i found a stable configuration:

rGdoGLN.jpg

And why is the thermoelectric generator always ulitizing 20% of the reactors thermal power production, no matter if actually any EC is needed or not? Where does the energy/EC go? Why not throttle down the power utilization and save Uranium?

Edited by Blackline

from what i know in previous version thermal jet didnt't need any radiators, radiators only for electric consumers. now they heat... just try with bigger reactor without radiators, it work for me. from what i see in your picture reactors are small and engines big... try reactors big and engines 0.625 metres. add radiators only for electric supply, so, something small.

LE,

EC goes in radiators for cooling :)

Edited by Acvila

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well before KSPIE 1.18, it used a divider of 500 in NF mode so 1.2 GW  (640 GW / 500 =  1.28) sounds about right if you have Near Future Electrics installed

After KSPIE 1.18, is uses a divider of 100 in NF mode, which would mean you should have 6.4 GW of power in Near Furure mode. Since you haven't it appears you use an pre 1.18 version

This explains a lot. Thank you !

I hope the 1.18 can go on CKAN soon.  I don't mind manual downloading, but CKAN gets confused easily if I mix CKAN vs manual downloading mods.

Edited by enewmen

1 hour ago, Blackline said:

And why is the thermoelectric generator always ulitizing 20% of the reactors thermal power production, no matter if actually any EC is needed or not? Where does the energy/EC go? Why not throttle down the power utilization and save Uranium?

This is because the  Molten Salt Reactor has a minimum utilisation.

59 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I'm having trouble reproducing this problem. Could you create a minimum part setup where this problem occurs?

I'm on mobile now, but don't forget, I did it in science mode, with only the molten salt and the 3 nozzles unlocked. No fancy updated parts yet! I wrote about that tech node problem above as well (molten salt not showing up if it's researched, only if one node later is also researched)

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I'm having trouble reproducing this problem. Could you create a minimum part setup where this problem occurs?

i had the same problem with low power input in thermal jets, if you have like 50MW they overheat over 100MW is good to go. i tested with thermal receiver mk1. in his picture he surely don't have more than 50MW, those reactors are small. first picture show only 11MW... that's why overheat, he should put bigger reactors to work without radiators.

Edited by Acvila

1 hour ago, Acvila said:

i had the same problem with low power input in thermal jets, if you have like 50MW they overheat over 100MW is good to go. i tested with thermal receiver mk1. in his picture he surely don't have more than 50MW, those reactors are small. first picture show only 11MW... that's why overheat, he should put bigger reactors to work without radiators.

Ok, with what logic should I ever come to that conclusion? That must be a bug, right? 

Low power --> overheating stuff --> ok let's add more power ???

And btw, how can a 1200K core temp overheat my jet engine to 2700K??? Something is very wrong here...

Edited by Blackline

8 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Ok, with what logic should I ever come to that conclusion? That must be a bug, right? 

Low power --> overheating stuff --> ok let's add more power ???

And btw, how can a 1200K core temp overheat my jet engine to 2700K??? Something is very wrong here...

i saw that first time in 1.4.1, i also think it's a bug, because without radiators and increasing reactor heat disappear... also, solid fuel fission reactor doesn't provide any thermal power to thermal engines. however for now just increase reactors size and attach them to wings...

Edited by Acvila

7 minutes ago, Acvila said:

i saw that first time in 1.4.1, i also think it's a bug, because without radiators and increasing reactor heat disappear... also, solid fuel fission reactor doesn't provide any thermal power to thermal engines. however for now just increase reactors size and attach them to wings...

Ok, thanks. Let's wait for @FreeThinker if he's able to reproduce and fix that nasty logic-breaker. Especially the cold reactor heating stuff up beyond 2700K breaks any thermodynamic law there is (no heat transfer from cold to warm, you would need time to run backwards for that)

edit found it, it's the second thermodynamic law :-)

Edited by Blackline

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.