KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

NFT-E wasn't installed but SETI was.  I pulled it and nothing changed so I pulled almost every other mod I had loaded and the numbers went back to normal.  Something else appears to be messing with just those three reactors for some reason, I'll try and track that down later.

I still can't get the lithium radial to attach though.  Is there another tank that will accept lithium?

20 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Are you sure you haven't installed NFT-E or SETI? it reduces all reactors power by a factor 500. But I will verify the 2 Antimatter reactor still work. Something might have broken

I had removed SETI, but I missed one of the contract packs for it.  I've narrowed it down to this section of module-manager code from SETI-Contracts:

@CONTRACT_TYPE[KerbinLanding]:FOR[SETI]:NEEDS[RealChute]
{
}

Yes, seriously, just that.  If I comment those three line out, I get 120GW.  Load it back in and the antimater reactor drops to 480KW.  I don't see anything in the module manager that would account for this behavior.  Even more oddly, only pre-1.7.0(e) appears to have issues. 1.6.9 works regardless of this patch existing.  I've tried both my local compiled copy and the one from git and they both do the same thing.

Best guess:  FOR[SETI] causes MM to set the flag that indicates that SETI is installed, even though it isn't.  Another config file has to be changing the reactor values.

Edited by RzTen1
more info

Yep, it's this section that's doing it: (Patches/USI_NF_Mode.cfg)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FNAntimatterReactor]]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical|SETI]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
        @MODULE[FNAntimatterReactor]
        {
                @upgradedPowerOutput *= 0.002
                @neutronEmbrittlementDivider *= 0.002
                %fuelUsePerMJMult = 500
                %wasteHeatMultiplier = 0.002
                %powerOutputMultiplier = 0.002
        }
}

Should this be making the change for SETI as well?  I understand tweaking the values if NearFuture is there so that it's more in line with their reactors, but I don't believe vanilla SETI is changing any power/thermal numbers.  It also seems somewhat inconsistent as it's only tweaking some of the reactors (looks like just the anti-mater) but not all of them.  Plus, with these settings thermal nozzles would need a massive boost to be even minimally useful.

14 hours ago, RzTen1 said:

NFT-E wasn't installed but SETI was.  I pulled it and nothing changed so I pulled almost every other mod I had loaded and the numbers went back to normal.  Something else appears to be messing with just those three reactors for some reason, I'll try and track that down later.

I still can't get the lithium radial to attach though.  Is there another tank that will accept lithium?

I tested myself and did not encounter any problem. It will be interesting to know what caused the anomalies

Hello all,

Have a strange one, the ThermalRocket and the Thermaljet don't show up the LFO option, don't know why, even not attach to the part it show the option to use LFO, it shows all other fuel types but not LFO.

Any ideas ??

thank you, best regards

17 minutes ago, custume said:

Hello all,

Have a strange one, the ThermalRocket and the Thermaljet don't show up the LFO option, don't know why, even not attach to the part it show the option to use LFO, it shows all other fuel types but not LFO.

Any ideas ??

thank you, best regards

for LFO / Hydrolox mode You need to use the launch nozzle, the bigger thermal nozzle. The Smaller Nozzle is more suitable for Vacuum usage. Alternativly use the NERVA engine which gain LFO mode with improved nuclear proplsion

Edited by FreeThinker

16 hours ago, RzTen1 said:

Yep, it's this section that's doing it: (Patches/USI_NF_Mode.cfg)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FNAntimatterReactor]]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical|SETI]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
        @MODULE[FNAntimatterReactor]
        {
                @upgradedPowerOutput *= 0.002
                @neutronEmbrittlementDivider *= 0.002
                %fuelUsePerMJMult = 500
                %wasteHeatMultiplier = 0.002
                %powerOutputMultiplier = 0.002
        }
}

Should this be making the change for SETI as well?  I understand tweaking the values if NearFuture is there so that it's more in line with their reactors, but I don't believe vanilla SETI is changing any power/thermal numbers.  It also seems somewhat inconsistent as it's only tweaking some of the reactors (looks like just the anti-mater) but not all of them.  Plus, with these settings thermal nozzles would need a massive boost to be even minimally useful.

Well it's never going to be perfect but to understand what I try to accomplish you need to take note off all changes, both for reactors and engines, and then you will notice, the enresult / performance is mostly the same. So an thermal nozzle in SETI/NFE will perform the same as in KSPI-E pure mode.KSPI-E riginaly consisted only of a set of confige to make NFE and KSPI play together in a balanced way. Lather when it became clear Fractal, the original designer of KSPI would not return (he never actualy said so, hech I haven't even spoken with him) I kind of took over.

Edited by FreeThinker

hope this is the right place for my question but I'm having some trouble with the NERVA engines. If I use two radially attached with symmetry they won't have the same thrust. If they're throttled just a little the thrust values are the same but starts to deviate more when they're throttled up and send my ship into a spin. at full throttle the thrust values are the same but they reach max thrust at different times. Is there possibly something I'm doing wrong? any help is appreciated.

20 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

for LFO / Hydrolox mode You need to use the launch nozzle, the bigger thermal nozzle. The Smaller Nozzle is more suitable for Vacuum usage. Alternativly use the NERVA engine which gain LFO mode with improved nuclear proplsion

Hello, thx for the info, but I have all the updates and can use even water but not LFO, and I have the NERVA, and I not using thermal nozzle but thermal turbojet and rocket.

That's why is strange, I can use metal ox, h2 , o2, liquid fuel, ammonia etc etc, but not LFO

Thank you for the help

8 hours ago, archenemy_6 said:

hope this is the right place for my question but I'm having some trouble with the NERVA engines. If I use two radially attached with symmetry they won't have the same thrust. If they're throttled just a little the thrust values are the same but starts to deviate more when they're throttled up and send my ship into a spin. at full throttle the thrust values are the same but they reach max thrust at different times. Is there possibly something I'm doing wrong? any help is appreciated.

I will look into it.

55 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well the Thermal Turbo Jet cannot operate in LFO mode. LFO mode require special addaptation which would not fit in the thermal turbojet. Only Thermal Launh Nozzle and Nerva can run in LFO mode

So is a feature and not a error, hmmm...

well they use LFO before, (I'm talking about the old interstellar mod) and give a lot of power, so its a new thing , got it, I prefer the LFO mix and not only liquid but its ok I can work around that.

Thank you for the info

EDIT : by the way my old plane (the one in the "land on duna" event) use that engine and on LFO.

Edited by custume

3 hours ago, custume said:

So is a feature and not a error, hmmm...

well they use LFO before, (I'm talking about the old interstellar mod) and give a lot of power, so its a new thing , got it, I prefer the LFO mix and not only liquid but its ok I can work around that.

Thank you for the info

EDIT : by the way my old plane (the one in the "land on duna" event) use that engine and on LFO.

Alright, there is a hack for that. Open the engine cfg you use for you vessel and add the folowing line to the ThermalNozzleController

afterburnerTechReq = improvedNuclearPropulsion

rhis will allow it to use the engine in LFO mode

Edited by FreeThinker

Hi FreeThinker, I'm trying to figure out how the magnetic nozzles are supposed to work properly... I tried both the inertial confinement fusion reactors, and antimatter reactors with them, and both seem to give only 2.4 KN of thrust and similar, if not the same ISP's. What am I supposed to do to get 100KN of thrust out of them? 

On 4/3/2016 at 10:37 AM, Wisniowka said:
41 minutes ago, keys72 said:

Hi FreeThinker, I'm trying to figure out how the magnetic nozzles are supposed to work properly... I tried both the inertial confinement fusion reactors, and antimatter reactors with them, and both seem to give only 2.4 KN of thrust and similar, if not the same ISP's. What am I supposed to do to get 100KN of thrust out of them? 

Radiators can cause different results in career and sandbox mode. Here is the same ship in 2 mode. What's the problem with it ?  Sandbox & Career

Thanks..

Are you using the Charged Particles Generator?

In order to use the Magneic Nozzle Run at maximum efficiency, you need the following:

1 Reactor that is capable of generating charged paricles (Any Fussion, Fission Fragment or Antimatter reactor)

2 A Thermal Thenerator to generate enough power to keep the reaction active and power the magnetic nozzles

3 Enough radiiator capacity to keep the thermal electric generator opeate sufficient amounts of power

4 One or more Magnetic nozzles with combined surface area that matches the reactor surface area (to much or too little will negativly effect the performace)

also note, the mgnetic nozzle continues to accelerate durring time warp. This makes it potentialy extremely fast if you know how to do handle it.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

In order to use the Magneic Nozzle Run at maximum efficiency, you need the following:

1 Reactor that is capable of generating charged paricles (Any Fussion, Fission Fragment or Antimatter reactor)

2 A Thermal Thenerator to generate enough power to keep the reaction active and power the magnetic nozzles

3 Enough radiiator capacity to keep the thermal electric generator opeate sufficient amounts of power

4 One or more Magnetic nozzles with combined surface area that matches the reactor surface area (to much or too little will negativly effect the performace)

also note, the mgnetic nozzle continues to accelerate durring time warp. This makes it potentialy extremely fast if you know how to do handle it.

Yeah thank's for the help, I was using the charged particle generator instead of the thermal... Is there a difference between the ISP and thrust for the magnetic nozzle using different reactors? Is the antimatter reactor the best, or is that overkill, and something like the omega reactor good enough?

Off cource Antimatter is the most powerfull solution, but it is also te most expansive. In a campaign, you will likely not use it unless for special missions. Antimatter is very veritile, it can be used for either low, Medium or very very high Isp at extreme power levels. No other reactor can match that.

However, there is one thing that antimatter is realy bad at, which is enturance. Despite antimatter beeing very energenic, storing the stuff is very hard which mean you will never be able to collect large quantities. If you use it for power production, it will be consumed very rapidly. Therefore it is adviced to have a secondary power source which take over power production from your antimatter reactor durring timewarp or you risk losing everything in a matter of weeks

Edited by FreeThinker

Cool, I'm starting to get it, how exactly does the alcubierre drive work with my space plane? First I couldn't even get the thing to charge, because my warp mass was too heavy. After I fixed that problem, and I'm fully charged, it only does anything warp at 1.00c, while saying max is .015c, setting the warp to .015 says I don't have enough power...
So what I'm asking is what's the power requirements for a 500 tonne warp mass craft? Should I have multiple antimatter reactors, or is just 1 have antimatter reactor the same size as the alcubierre enough?

5 minutes ago, totos_totidis said:

I think i have a bug that makes all my techs not upgraded eaven though i am playing in sandbox. Could anyone help?

I think they could be separate reactors in sandbox... I was able to find separate non-upgraded parts playing around with the manufacturer's tab in vab or sph... I'm just speculating though because I don't play sandbox very often.

5 minutes ago, keys72 said:

I think they could be separate reactors in sandbox... I was able to find separate non-upgraded parts playing around with the manufacturer's tab in vab or sph... I'm just speculating though because I don't play sandbox very often.

There could be but my radiators. They aren't upgraded as well

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.