KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

I tried searching for an hour for an answer to this one and couldn't find it.  I've noticed a bug in KSPIE that appears to cause electrical power to disappear under 10000+ timewarp.  My hydrogen tanks and power use/gen were perfectly stable from launch to orbit, then I did an ejection burn for Dres and warped to the SOI. I noticed that anything above 10000x timewarp the tanks went from showing 4.71kw/4.71kw to 0kw and the hydrogen boiled off.  Decreasing timewarp causes it to stablize.  Also I don't use solar I have three Solid Core Nuclear Engines.  

This has to be a bug right?  Am I doing something wrong? Why would 1x-10000x timewarp be perfectly stable and anything above that is no power at all?  I also turned on infinite electricity to test and everything is stable at any timewarp.  

8 hours ago, ttussok said:

I tried searching for an hour for an answer to this one and couldn't find it.  I've noticed a bug in KSPIE that appears to cause electrical power to disappear under 10000+ timewarp.  My hydrogen tanks and power use/gen were perfectly stable from launch to orbit, then I did an ejection burn for Dres and warped to the SOI. I noticed that anything above 10000x timewarp the tanks went from showing 4.71kw/4.71kw to 0kw and the hydrogen boiled off.  Decreasing timewarp causes it to stablize.  Also I don't use solar I have three Solid Core Nuclear Engines.  

This has to be a bug right?  Am I doing something wrong? Why would 1x-10000x timewarp be perfectly stable and anything above that is no power at all?  I also turned on infinite electricity to test and everything is stable at any timewarp.  

What is probably going wrong is that is called a power buffer underrun. At normal time, KSP does a processing step every 1/50 seconds.  Durring a process cycle, it requests the required power (scaled depending on timewarp) power and if not fulfilled cryogenically cooled propellant will start to boil off. Now at normal time and 100 warp this is not a problem but at higher time warp it might be because the amount of power requested can actually exceed the amount of stored electric charge. To solve this problem you either need more electric charge storage, add KSPI reactor or a super capacitator on charge mode. But you are right this should not happen under normal circum stances and I intend to add a power buffering feature that will dynamically add an electric charge buffer which will grow at time warp.

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

To solve this problem you either need more electric charge storage, add KSPI reactor or a super capacitator on charge mode. 

When you say KSPI reactor, what qualifies?  I had the problem using the USI reactor, which seems to be basically a KSPI reactor.  Also @ttussok had the problem with the power from nuke engines?  I'm guessing anything that uses a thermal or charged particle gen doesn't have the issue?

25 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

When you say KSPI reactor, what qualifies?  I had the problem using the USI reactor, which seems to be basically a KSPI reactor.  Also @ttussok had the problem with the power from nuke engines?  I'm guessing anything that uses a thermal or charged particle gen doesn't have the issue?

If it produces Megajoules you are golden

Just now, FreeThinker said:

If it produces Megajoules you are golden

Interesting, as the USI reactors produce MJ it says, but I think in flight it only makes EC.  I have a probe on route with that gen and LqdHydrogen, I guess I will have to only warp on the tracking station.

I guess this discussion should have happened in the support thread you made, not the dev thread.

21 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Could someone experience with KSPIE create a bunch of example craft for me which I can include in the download package

The goal is to give inexperienced players some good example on how to use KSPIE parts correctly Preferable the craft file consists only out of stock and KSPI-E parts.

Brilliant! Getting to see how veteran players are using the different parts/fuels would really help with getting over the learning curve of this mod.

23 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

Is the pebble bed supposed to have an integrated electric generator? All evidence points to no, but in practice it keeps my ec full without a generator installed anywhere on the craft...

Yes it does, but the amount of power is very low in comparison to what a full generator can  produce, but it usually enough to run basic systems.

1 hour ago, gary85 said:

i noticed joint reinforcement is on with kspi now . Czn i disable it beacuse its to easy now?

Well If you don't like you can remove it. It more of an advice than a requirement. Personalty I don't consider it a cheat an rather a compensation of a shortcoming of the Unity engine which makes joint as strong as the linked part. mass.

Edited by FreeThinker

46 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well If you don't like you can remove it. It more of an advice than a requirement. Personalty I don't consider it a cheat an rather a compensation of a shortcoming of the Unity engine which makes joint as strong as the linked part. mass.

hmm maybe you can tweak it? beacuse as it is i can stall 130tons plane form 1300m/s to 0 in sec and nothing will happen so its kinda weird.

27 minutes ago, gary85 said:

hmm maybe you can tweak it? beacuse as it is i can stall 130tons plane form 1300m/s to 0 in sec and nothing will happen so its kinda weird.

What, that should not be possible. I think you have activated Unbreakable joints somehow in the cheat options.

1 hour ago, gary85 said:

No i doublechecked i try to get some video.

If you activate the pressure part limit, they break also with KJR. Actually KJR is a kind of autostrut but you don't need to do it manually. Stall that plane in the low atmosphere and some part will break, if you activate the relative option.

I've used any documentation and vods I could find on the beamed power machanic, but I am still having some issues. For example see my test power rig that, despite indicating it has MegaJoules available, will not transmit any. I also tested the rig in LKO with the same result. I understand that megajoules are for thermal power and MegaJoules for electric, but can't see any indicator for megajoules (thermal) in my resource panel (maybe relevant, maybe not).DXYRi2P.png

Edited by Swedishish
MegaJoules megajoules clarification

1 hour ago, Swedishish said:

I've used any documentation and vods I could find on the beamed power machanic, but I am still having some issues. For example see my test power rig that, despite indicating it has MegaJoules available, will not transmit any. I also tested the rig in LKO with the same result. I understand that megajoules are for thermal power and MegaJoules for electric, but can't see any indicator for megajoules (thermal) in my resource panel (maybe relevant, maybe not).DXYRi2P.png

Seems to me to me you are transmitting. Specificly because is Transmit status mentions "Transmitter Active" and Wall to Beam Power is 420.683 KW from a electric generator that produced 467.5 KW from 1.7624 MJ Thermal power.

Perhaps you were expecting more but if you have Near Future Electric installed, it will adjust it power output to be in line with Near Future Electric power levels.

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Seems to me to me you are transmitting. Specificly because is Transmit status mentions "Transmitter Active" and Wall to Beam Power is 420.683 KW from a electric generator that produced 467.5 KW from 1.7624 MJ Thermal power.

Perhaps you were expecting more but if you have Near Future Electric installed, it will adjust it power output to be in line with Near Future Electric power levels.

Thanks for the swift reply! I do in fact have NF Electrics as well. Anything I can do un-adjust the power balance without uninstalling NF electrics? Or else, any suggestions on how to build a power station that doesn't have hundreds of radiators to get a sufficient thermal gradient?

2 hours ago, Swedishish said:

Thanks for the swift reply! I do in fact have NF Electrics as well. Anything I can do un-adjust the power balance without uninstalling NF electrics? Or else, any suggestions on how to build a power station that doesn't have hundreds of radiators to get a sufficient thermal gradient?

Give me some time to verify what might go wrong.

Edit, at least in space it works without any additional mods installed

Edit 2: also with Near Future Technology install it works well...

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Ok. I'll muck around a bit in LKO and see if I can make it work.

edit: I don't have any improved performance in LKO. Did I do something differently than you or could there be another mod messing with power/electricity?n7plyOX.png

Edited by Swedishish
follow up

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Perhaps this is more illustrative of the problem. With four radiators it yields some fraction of efficiency that rounds to 0 and with 40 radiators, it yields 0.64% at 100% power. The latter rig yields about 1.86MW from the transmitter, which still isn't much for a craft that looks pretty silly (not to mention the extra load on my PC). I really love this mod and your others and the ones the you maintain. I really appreciate your help!

oqTZyBi.pngD5Uw8nF.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.