KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

52 minutes ago, Charon Moloch said:

That was cool, you made your game look beautiful even tho it takes a toll on the frame rate, hydrazene is nice and dense as a fuel, but it's expensive!, on the landing I'm not a pro, but from what I see your craft is very heavy, and for such a tonnage 7 m/s was a bit rough, you could increase the lift, that's what I'd do, to make smoother landings easier, or just land next to the runway like a noob and taxi on it for 100% recovery, the ground can't be crushed by 100t.

Actually that was the worst landing I had with this spaceplane. In the past I just lost the TORY and nothing more, landing in different bases around Kerbin. The two times I landed at the KSC, I destroyed the Runway. Yes 7 m/s was a bit rough, I needed to burn more fuel, probably. 

I don't care about funds, that is in SCIENCE mode :kiss:

Edited by Nansuchao
Typo

23 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Actually that was the worst landing I had with this spaceplane. In the past I just lost the TORY and nothing more, landing in different bases around Kerbin. The two times I landed at the KSC, I destroyed the Runway. Yes 7 m/s was a bit rough, I needed to burn more fuel, probably. 

I don't care about funds, that is in SCIENCE mode :kiss:

I had the same issue with the Nuclear Turbojet engine that i used for my Duna plane.  The way I resolved it was to get low and parallel to the ground and then deploy parachutes to stop me.  The chutes stopped slowed my forward motion and I would just sort of drop out of the sky for those last 10 meters and land evenly on all 4 wheels.  I think the chutes were also preferentially supporting the weight of the engine and help to keep it from dipping down and touching the ground.  For landing on the hilly surface of Duna, I would wait until i crested the top of a hill at low speed to deploy the chutes then land evenly on all 4s on the downhill side.  It is very tricky to do on that kind of surface but not too bad once you get the hang of it and best of all the engine stopped going boom (most of the time haha).

And +1 for going Science mode haha.

Edit: Although now i think of it.  My situation was slightly different in that the plane was not built to be ssto and was therefore much lighter.  Couldnt hurt to give it a try though.

Edited by Uberns

14 minutes ago, Uberns said:

I had the same issue with the Nuclear Turbojet engine that i used for my Duna plane.  The way I resolved it was to get low and parallel to the ground and then deploy parachutes to stop me.  The chutes stopped slowed my forward motion and I would just sort of drop out of the sky for those last 10 meters and land evenly on all 4 wheels.  I think the chutes were also preferentially supporting the weight of the engine and help to keep it from dipping down and touching the ground.  For landing on the hilly surface of Duna, I would wait until i crested the top of a hill at low speed to deploy the chutes then land evenly on all 4s on the downhill side.  It is very tricky to do on that kind of surface but not too bad once you get the hang of it and best of all the engine stopped going boom (most of the time haha).

And +1 for going Science mode haha.

Edit: Although now i think of it.  My situation was slightly different in that the plane was not built to be ssto and was therefore much lighter.  Couldnt hurt to give it a try though.

Good trick, I used it very often with FAR with big SSTOs after KSP 1.1, due to the broken wheels and terribles brakes. However without FAR I can land safely most of the times. I guess that if I can tweak a little the position of the TORY and the fuel distribution during landing, I'll solve the issue. I have a couple of ideas I'll try in the next few days.

Meanwhile, a much bigger brother of this SSTO, is currently orbiting Eve, with the goal to land...

Worst case scenario, I'll freeze the crew with a DeepFreeze pod and send a rescue mission, but I hope I have not to.

My problem with time warping engines is now solved. It seems it was a conflict with another mod, which was caused by my own configs.

But now I'm trying to learn about beam power. Most of what I've learned came from the KSPI-E github wiki. But it seems alot of the info there is outdated and/or incomplete.

I've learned a bit from this thread as well. For example, I had the same problem as facloon with the Dual Mode Thermal Sphere Receiver. It wouldn't receive any power. But now I understand it requires a TEG (I'll have to research that a bit more to see what it is) to work.

Right now I have 5 probes in orbit. One is a power station with an antimatter reactor and electric generator. The other 4 are relays. All 5 probes use the Phased Array Microwave Tranceiver. The power station is set to transmit, the relays are set to relay. (From my understanding, size and position don't matter when transmitting or relaying)

When I send a test probe up with a receiver (again a Phased Array Microwave Tranceiver) and a plasma engine, it seems to be able to receive a bit of power. When I "point" the receiver to the power station probe, it receives about 750MW of power. (it should be able to receive 1-3GW, I can't figure out why it isn't receiving the full amount.) When I point the receiver at one of the relays, it only receives about 25MW of power. That's another thing I can't understand, shouldn't my relays be able to relay roughly the same power as the power station transmits?

All of this is happening pretty close to kerbin, so I don't see distance being an issue. (Power station is at 85km, relays are at 240km, and test probe with receiver is at 100km.)

All of that brings me around to my biggest issue: not knowing where to look for info. On the github wiki there seem to be 2 seperate systems for beaming power. There is the Beamed Power page and the Microwave Power Transceivers page.

I haven't been able to make much sense of the Beamed Power page, it seems like beaming power with Microwaves is an older (and easier to use) system. But I'm kind of confused as to why both systems are included in the mod of that's the case.

Does anyone know of a more detailed/accurate/up-to-date source of information? All of the other videos and tutorials seem to be quite old, don't talk about beamed power, or offer very little information.

Thanks

3 hours ago, slontone said:

My problem with time warping engines is now solved. It seems it was a conflict with another mod, which was caused by my own configs.

But now I'm trying to learn about beam power. Most of what I've learned came from the KSPI-E github wiki. But it seems alot of the info there is outdated and/or incomplete.

I've learned a bit from this thread as well. For example, I had the same problem as facloon with the Dual Mode Thermal Sphere Receiver. It wouldn't receive any power. But now I understand it requires a TEG (I'll have to research that a bit more to see what it is) to work.

Right now I have 5 probes in orbit. One is a power station with an antimatter reactor and electric generator. The other 4 are relays. All 5 probes use the Phased Array Microwave Tranceiver. The power station is set to transmit, the relays are set to relay. (From my understanding, size and position don't matter when transmitting or relaying)

When I send a test probe up with a receiver (again a Phased Array Microwave Tranceiver) and a plasma engine, it seems to be able to receive a bit of power. When I "point" the receiver to the power station probe, it receives about 750MW of power. (it should be able to receive 1-3GW, I can't figure out why it isn't receiving the full amount.) When I point the receiver at one of the relays, it only receives about 25MW of power. That's another thing I can't understand, shouldn't my relays be able to relay roughly the same power as the power station transmits?

All of this is happening pretty close to kerbin, so I don't see distance being an issue. (Power station is at 85km, relays are at 240km, and test probe with receiver is at 100km.)

All of that brings me around to my biggest issue: not knowing where to look for info. On the github wiki there seem to be 2 seperate systems for beaming power. There is the Beamed Power page and the Microwave Power Transceivers page.

I haven't been able to make much sense of the Beamed Power page, it seems like beaming power with Microwaves is an older (and easier to use) system. But I'm kind of confused as to why both systems are included in the mod of that's the case.

Does anyone know of a more detailed/accurate/up-to-date source of information? All of the other videos and tutorials seem to be quite old, don't talk about beamed power, or offer very little information.

Thanks

I'll quote myself so you know the problem I was having and where I am now.

I think I understand the reason for my relays not working correctly. The spot size of the microwave beam is too large for my relays. (I think. I included distances and the transmitters/receivers I'm using in the quoted post so you can see if I'm correct.)

If I am correct, that would mean that I would need to decrease the spot size. Either by using a shorter wavelenght and/or reducing the transmit aperature.

But that brings me to another question. I know the spot size has to be smaller than the receiver diameter. So if I had a 5m receiver with a spot size of like 0.05m, according to the wiki it should receive the full transmission power. But that doesn't make much sense, so I think I'm getting something mixed up. It also mentions distance. It says it will receive less power the further it is from the transmitter, but I can't see a way to calculate that.

How does distance affect the power received? And does a very small spot size have any affect on the power received?

Thanks

@slontone First of all - you want to use this wiki - https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki

The other one looks like an old version, not updated anymore. Few pages earlier I wrote to author that the link on first post is wrong, but for some reason it was not changed yet.

12 hours ago, slontone said:

I had the same problem as facloon with the Dual Mode Thermal Sphere Receiver. It wouldn't receive any power. But now I understand it requires a TEG (I'll have to research that a bit more to see what it is) to work.

It doesn't require TEG. You just need to fix this one line of code in .cfg file where wavelength is set to 0. After that, it started recieve very small amount of power. I didn't figured it out yet why the amount is so small (much smaller than expected), because I'm tired of testing for now, but it works.

8 hours ago, slontone said:

If I am correct, that would mean that I would need to decrease the spot size. Either by using a shorter wavelenght and/or reducing the transmit aperature.

Not reducing - increasing.

Spot size = distance-to-spot * wavelength / (aperture diameter of transmiter)

So if you want smaller spot size, you need to use bigger transmiter or shorter wave, or both

Edited by falcoon
update

6 hours ago, falcoon said:

@slontone First of all - you want to use this wiki - https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki

The other one looks like an old version, not updated anymore. Few pages earlier I wrote to author that the link on first post is wrong, but for some reason it was not changed yet.

That link should not be on the first page because that wiki is actually the outdated one for a different mod. It is the old wiki for FractalUK's original KSPI, not the wiki for FreeThinker's KSPI-E.

Edited by singlet
formatting error

7 hours ago, falcoon said:

It doesn't require TEG. You just need to fix this one line of code in .cfg file where wavelength is set to 0. After that, it started recieve very small amount of power. I didn't figured it out yet why the amount is so small (much smaller than expected), because I'm tired of testing for now, but it works.

I think it does require a TEG since it is set to only receive thermal power. I need electrical power, so I would need to convert the thermal beamed power to electrical power.

But that brings me around to another question.

I have a transmistter attached to my power station. The power station has a generator converting thermal energy to electric. Its being sent on ka-band microwave. Is it transmitting thermal or electrical?

1 hour ago, singlet said:

That link should not be on the first page because that wiki is actually the outdated one for a different mod. It is the old wiki for FractalUK's original KSPI, not the wiki for FreeThinker's KSPI-E.

Really? Sorry for causing confusion then, but there are still many useful info that cannot be found in new version.

Any idea what caused the ThermalRamjetNozzle part to be duplicated in my save file so many times (see below).  And I just want to confirm that I can safely delete all of these duplicates.

Tech
		{
			id = advNuclearPropulsion
			state = Available
			cost = 1000
			part = ThermalRamjetNozzle
			part = TweakableThermalTurbojet
			part = KspiLightbulb
		}

Anyone else noticing a problem with the electric engines and ISP

Ive tried the Plasma, Vasimir, and ATILLA. All seem to report excellent thrust and ISP, but then they burn through a tank of xenon filled with 1360units in 10secs or less. Even at low throttle the tank still drains much faster than a Poodle on an orange tank. 

It seems as if the flow rate/consumption stays the same regardless of what the ISP is supposed to be. The Vasimir engine is draining 8.8 xenon per sec. The feeling is as if there an order of magnitude mis-calculation happening and that should be draining 0.88 xenon per sec. 

Is that right? 

4 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Maybe it's some other mods conflicting with the Claw. I use it together with KSPI-E without issues.

Dito, snatched me up a Class E astoriod that was 63days from impact with Kerbin, just yesterday. Ship was mostly KSPIE parts. Didnt give me any troubles the claw at least, that rock is freaking huge!

5 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

Anyone else noticing a problem with the electric engines and ISP

Ive tried the Plasma, Vasimir, and ATILLA. All seem to report excellent thrust and ISP, but then they burn through a tank of xenon filled with 1360units in 10secs or less. Even at low throttle the tank still drains much faster than a Poodle on an orange tank. 

It seems as if the flow rate/consumption stays the same regardless of what the ISP is supposed to be. The Vasimir engine is draining 8.8 xenon per sec. The feeling is as if there an order of magnitude mis-calculation happening and that should be draining 0.88 xenon per sec. 

Is that right? 

Have you tried the same thing with the Hydrogen from KSPI(LqHydrogen I believe)? or try nitrogen, that definitely comes from this mod and not from something else.

2 hours ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Have you tried the same thing with the Hydrogen from KSPI(LqHydrogen I believe)? or try nitrogen, that definitely comes from this mod and not from something else.

No honestly I have not because Xenon should be considered the reference propellant because it is stock however your point does beg the question as to whether or not it's the fuel tank from another mod I am using. I will test with stock Xenon tanks and report back.

Just now, Aaron Also said:

No honestly I have not because Xenon should be considered the reference propellant because it is stock however your point does beg the question as to whether or not it's the fuel tank from another mod I am using. I will test with stock Xenon tanks and report back.

Hydrogen is the reference propellant in KSPI, xenon is generally avoided for very poor ISP.  Give it a shot with Hydrogen as well.

7 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

Dito, snatched me up a Class E astoriod that was 63days from impact with Kerbin, just yesterday. Ship was mostly KSPIE parts. Didnt give me any troubles the claw at least, that rock is freaking huge!

same, but I did notice the claw wouldn't pivot, did it pivot ok for you?

Hey, got a couple questions about other solar system mods for KSPI.

What is the best, or recommended, mod for adding a new solar system to KSP, to travel to using KSPI's parts? Can one be added to an existing save?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.