KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

52 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes that would be very helpful, my acces to PC with KSP is currently very limited

Here's a ground station test. It also has a competing orbital station.
https://imgur.com/a/hDHAnrq

I still trying wrap up how to get beams to merge. Then again, my relay system was rudimentary at best. But it does work.

Edited by TheRag

@TheRag  I guess you tried to post this https://imgur.com/a/hDHAnrq

Excelent work, I'm sure some poeple will be very glad it hear Relay has been restored. I guess I did code optimalisation but never correcty verified it still worked. Unity Code often doesn't work as you think it works. Due to the complexity it can be hard to verify relay as you might get false reading from another beamed transmitter which is also in line of sight, making you  thinking false it works. This is also the reason why I added the receiver view, allowing me to give a clue what is going on.

Edited by FreeThinker

11 minutes ago, TheRag said:

I still trying wrap up how to get beams to merge.

The general  idea is that a transmitter is able  to both relay and transmit extra power into the network. So If you had 4  Transmitters each 1 GW the combined power would be 4 GW minus losses

17 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@TheRag  I guess you tried to post this https://imgur.com/a/hDHAnrq

Excelent work, I'm sure some poeple will be very glad it hear Relay has been restored. I guess I did code optimalisation but never correcty verified it still worked. Unity Code often doesn't work as you think it works. Due to the complexity it can be hard to verify relay as you might get false reading from another beamed transmitter which is also in line of sight, making you  thinking false it works. This is also the reason why I added the receiver view, allowing me to give a clue what is going on.

I checked distances, and the seemed to work out correctly based on distance. It isn't phantom distance either, because microwaves would only give me kilowatts at that range, with the same set up. So it is actually taking into account the relay path. I also kept the transmitters identified. The album does have a instance were all power that was received was completely relayed, with transmitters being on the other side of the planet. I confirmed this by shutting down the relay, which stopped power from reaching the receiver.

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

The general  idea is that a transmitter is able  to both relay and transmit extra power into the network. So If you had 4  Transmitters each 1 GW the combined power would be 4 GW minus losses

Ah, okay, so for example.

Power Station is on the ground. It generates 5 GW

Four Orbital transmitters are linked for relay and generate power each generate 1 GW.

The receiver is at Duna across the solar system.

What should happen is that Power Station transmit power to the closet transmitter Linked for Relay. The orbital relays then transmit their power to the transmitter that has either a direct or shortest path to the receiver (such as mirrors in various solar orbits). The beams should merge and generate a 9GW laser to the intended target. Correct?

Okay, Beam Merging works too. I was a little confused on how the GUI displays it. At first I thought it would only show one transmitter, which would be the source of the beam merger satellite. However, after realizing that the beamed power would strictly relay instead of direct connection, that showed that the satellite was merging the beams of the two satellites.

Great, that means the Dyson Swarm project is an official go.

Next release of KSPIE will update the Kerbalsim  Emiter of all radioactive emitters

For example a staged stock NERVA produces about 0.028 rad/h

dT26DJt.png

And When at full power it generates about 72 rad/hour

Zam9bM9.png

this is about 4000 times as much radiation when throtled down. I'm not sure if this is excessive or not. I'm open to any advice

This might seem a lot but there are methods of propulsion that produce a lot more radiation for the crew (Like Open Cycle  Gas Core which fission products are highly radioactive)

But I wonder if there are any upper limit to the amount of radiation that will cause Kerbals in Kerbalsim to die instantly.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to improve KSPIE Filter Extension Part Categorisation

LCcGjDo.jpg

list = 0,Pods
    list = 1,Structural Parts
    list = 2,Fuel Tanks
    list = 3,Radioactive Storage
    list = 4,Antimatter Storage
    list = 5,High Power Storage
    list = 6,RCS    
    list = 7,Chemical Propulsion
    list = 8,Electric Propulsion
    List = 9,Nuclear Propulsion
    List = 10,Fusion Propulsion
    list = 11,Photon Propulsion
    List = 12,Thermal Nozzles
    List = 13,Magnetic Nozzles    
    list = 14,Reactors
    list = 15,Radiators
    list = 16,Electric Power Generators
    list = 17,Beam Generators
    list = 18,Beamed Power Transmitters
    list = 19,Thermal Power Receivers
    list = 20,Photovoltaic Power Receivers
    list = 21,Rectenna Power Receivers
    list = 22,Phased Array Transceiver
    list = 23,IRSU
    list = 24,Science    
    list = 25,Warp Engines

• 2 weeks later...

KSPIE 1.22.0 for KSP 1.7.3  is now available from here

Changelog

* Compiled against KSP 1.7.3

* Added Support for Kerbalsim Radiation

* Added more part catagories for Filter Extension

* Added Symmetry Fuel Switching for Thermal Nozzles

* Added Plasma Antimatter Power Generator

* Added afterburner fuel modes to Thermal Aerospike TurboJet

* Added support for USI LF to Particle Accelerator Habitat Centrifuge

* Added Orbital Assembly Docking Ports

* Added CommandCenter Dome

* Added Limited 2.5m Tweakscale  to Particle Accelerator Habitat Centrifuge

* Added Icons for extended Extended Techtree

* Added IX Command Module

* Added additional decription QSR

* Added Aeris 4A N Example Ship

* Fixed Volume and Surface area Particle Accelerator Habitat Centrifuge

* Fixed VAB thermal engine prediction

* Fixed issue where Solar Panels would not produce or consume power in combination with Kerbalism

* Fixed issue where radiators would heat up to maximum at the edge of atmosphere

* Fixed issue where first selected propellant for RCS was oxygen gas which is used in lifesupport to keep Kerbals alive

Edited by FreeThinker

I started using KSPI with the Mandatory RCS mod for the "timewarp rotation stop" stock behavior, and introduce a few related features like keeping the vessel oriented toward the SAS selection in timewarp and when switching vessels / reloading the game, it's really quite handy for my next orbital beam power station build , and It was really awesome. It's like a modern version of persistent rotation  mod.  

Yes, but it only provide stabilization 

35 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Ok so it nerves reaction wheels. What about the Reaction wheel durring FTL flight, do they still work?

18 hours ago, Targus said:

Are you sure, because durring FTL, its reaction wheel are supposed to become active, with the strength proportional to the vessel mass. You realy don't want your vessel starting to tumble durring FTL

Edited by FreeThinker

8 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Are you sure, because durring FTL, its reaction wheel are supposed to become active, with the strength proportional to the vessel mass. You realy don't want your vessel starting to tuble durring FTL

Sorry, I'm not sure though. but how can I test it? 

1 hour ago, Targus said:

Sorry, I'm not sure though. but how can I test it? 

Enter Interstellar FTL and fly arround without RCS. You are manipulating the shape of space itself, no need to turn

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Enter Interstellar FTL and fly arround without RCS. You are manipulating the shape of space itself, no need to turn

Actually, it works well, I outfitted it with 2 Advanced Reaction Wheel  just to be sure 

zyHXn22.png

You should be able to manouver without any additional reaction wheels. The build in reaction wheel are only active durring warp.The Warp drive is probably the most OP part in KSP, you simply aim to you destination, hit engage and after a short peroid you will drop out automaticly at your destination in orbit. There is nother like it except perhaps hyper edit

Edited by FreeThinker

10 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You should be able to manouver without any additional reaction wheels. It build in reaction wheel are only effective durring warp.The Warp drive is probably the most OP part in KSP, you simply aim to you destination, hit engage and after a short peroid you will drop out automaticly at your destination in orbit. There is nother like it except perhaps hyper edit

I tried it with no additional reaction wheel 

zSjcQBf.png

0yvLjlJ.png

one main reason I use mandatory rcs in conjunction with kspi is to make the beam relay vessel keep pointing at one location  even you going to and from another vessel and timewarps  adFGzwM.png

Edited by Targus

4 hours ago, Targus said:

one main reason I use mandatory rcs in conjunction with kspi is to make the beam relay vessel keep pointing at one location  even you going to and from another vessel and timewarps 

Intresting, what I could do is integrate this functionality into KSPIE so people are not forced to use RCS only

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Intresting, what I could do is integrate this functionality into KSPIE so people are not force to use RCS only

Wow, why I didn't think of it sooner :D, actually, there's a mod that does that kind of functionality, the name of the mod is persistent rotation but I can't use it because it's not updated to use for 1.7.1 up, that is why I use the mandatory rcs instead, and yes  it would really nice to integrate it into KSPIE. 

56 minutes ago, Targus said:

Wow, why I didn't think of it sooner :D, actually, there's a mod that does that kind of functionality, the name of the mod is persistent rotation but I can't use it because it's not updated to use for 1.7.1 up, that is why I use the mandatory rcs instead, and yes  it would really nice to integrate it into KSPIE. 

persistent rotation should work in KSP 1.7.1, 1.7.2 or 1.7.3 just fine

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.