KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Yes off cource, I told you only to remove the parts, none of the resource files, they are required

Ahh ok, misunderstood what you meant there. Thanks, it's working now!

EDIT: Followup: The absolute minimum files needed for using the redone seismometer experiment are:

-CommunityResourcePack

-InterstellarFuelSwitch/Plugins/Scale_Redist.dll

-WarpPlugin/Patches/science.cfg

-WarpPlugin/Plugins/Interstellar.dll

-WarpPlugin/Plugins/OpenResourceSystem_KSPIE.dll

-WarpPlugin/Resources/ScienceDefs.cfg

WarpPlugin/WarpPluginSettings.cfg is not needed but without it the mod throws an error upon loading a save. The error has no actual effect, but I included the settings because the popup error window would be annoying to deal with every time.

Edited by KerbinDriveYards

I've done some more work on my mm patch and hopefully it is now in line with interstellar tanks and as well don't break stock balance...

It adds interstellar fuels and cryostates to any tank, that can contain standard LFO, while preserves the ability to contain LFO and pure LF so you have much more freedom in building.

However currently there are two problems: I had not found a way to make these modules require specific techs, so they are available in career from the begining (but I don't think that you can find many uses for example for methane early game).

And the second one is weird behaviour of drymasses with tweakscalling tanks down so I suggest to avoid this.

I've installed Modular Fuel tanks and your patch (which I may not be using correctly but I tried to follow your instructions.). The values just cannot be right. I had a vessel using liquid fuel for the thermal rockets and it had over 16000 Delta V. The exact same vessel with the tanks converted to liquid Hydrogen only got 3000 Delta V even though Liquid Hydrogen has the greater ISP. What could be going wrong?

I've installed Modular Fuel tanks and your patch (which I may not be using correctly but I tried to follow your instructions.). The values just cannot be right. I had a vessel using liquid fuel for the thermal rockets and it had over 16000 Delta V. The exact same vessel with the tanks converted to liquid Hydrogen only got 3000 Delta V even though Liquid Hydrogen has the greater ISP. What could be going wrong?

The ISP is higher, but your fuel tanks are FAR less dense giving you a lower fuel mass to your ship mass. A lower ISP is ok in theory if your fuel is more dense and the ship throws it off during acceleration.

Example:

You have 2 ships with 2 fuels. one has an ISP of 500 and the other has an ISP of 1000. The ships mass's dry (without fuel) are 100 tons. The first one contains a dense fuel, 1000 tons of it in it's tanks, but the 2nd one contains a much less dense fuel 100 tons.

The first ship has a fuel weight to dry ratio of 11 to 1, the second ship has a fuel ratio weight to dry weight of 2 to 1.

Because ISP is a measurement of force produced by the mass of a fuel, the first ship will produce nearly 500% of the total thrust of the second one. While it will be a VERY slow acceleration at the start, because of the fuel mass differences the first ship will have almost twice the delta V of the first one. (moving the fuel will be expensive in force, but eventually it will break even and exceed the ISP difference because you have so much more mass to use)

Here are some real values:

100t vessel I just created dry weight (I am using some oxygen to get it to the weight.

A full interstellar fuel tank of hydrogen only has 11.5 tons of fuel in it. With an ISP of 2262 (Gas Core reactor) you have 2798 m/sec of delta V.

The same vessel with Co2 has 190.6 tons of fuel, but an ISP of only 1071, but because it has 190.6 tons of fuel your delta V is 10328 m/sec.

Edited by Profit-

Is there some sort of fix for the ISRU so it can work again? currently there is no resource defenitions for ammonia or hydrogen peroxide.

Correction, the ISRU tried to consume and output resources that had their name changed, for example Ammonia got changed to LqdAmmonia.

Edited by Etgfrog

Ok thanks, I knew it was less dense and expected less but not anywhere near that magnitude. I already hate liquid hydrogen as a fuel source. :P I might go back to the liquid fuel but I'd have to use CO2 after every burn (soot reached 55% after only 900 DV) and have no idea how much of that I'll need yet.

Ok thanks, I knew it was less dense and expected less but not anywhere near that magnitude. I already hate liquid hydrogen as a fuel source. :P I might go back to the liquid fuel but I'd have to use CO2 after every burn (soot reached 55% after only 900 DV) and have no idea how much of that I'll need yet.

If you keep your power low you only need a tiny amount of CO2 to do the cleaning... If you are willing to exploit, currently you actually need 0... (just shut off all heat sources and throttle up)

OR... If you are willing to sacrifice some TWR, just run with 100% soot. Your ISP will be the same just your thrust will be real low (you will have to pull back in order to stop overheating)

Edited by Profit-

A full interstellar fuel tank of hydrogen only has 11.5 tons of fuel in it. With an ISP of 2262 (Gas Core reactor) you have 2798 m/sec of delta V.

The same vessel with Co2 has 190.6 tons of fuel, but an ISP of only 1071, but because it has 190.6 tons of fuel your delta V is 10328 m/sec.

You seem to forget that the tank mass at launch for a LiquidHydrogen Tank is significantly lighter. For an accurate comparison, you should take the tank dry mass into account.

You seem to forget that the tank mass at launch for a LiquidHydrogen Tank is significantly lighter. For an accurate comparison, you should take the tank dry mass into account.

I already did, both vessels with tanks had a dry mass of exactly 100 tons.

or do you mean wet mass and how much harder it is to put a 195 ton tank of CO2 into orbit than a 16 ton tank of hydrogen?

Edited by Profit-

Version 1.1.14 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2

Released on 2015-05-30

• Fixed line of sight between Microwave relays
  • Improved heat production scaling Thermal nozzle/Turbojet
  • Increased maximum Isp Thermal nozzles/turbojet
  • Lowered upgraded core temperature antimatter reactor
  • Core temperature antimatter reactor now scales linear with size and mass scales with volume, which improves TWR of small antimatter reactors
  • Radiators condition now affect ability to prevent overeating thermal nozzle/turbojet
  • Improved Efficiency Helium as electric propellant to 78%
  • Fixed Cryostat power requirement for SETI/NFT-E Mode
  • Excluded Filter Extensions from download package, you are advised to download them separately

Edited by FreeThinker

ersion 1.1.14 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2

Released on 2015-05-30

• Fixed line of sight between Microwave relays
  • Improved heat production scaling Thermal nozzle/Turbojet
  • Increased maximum Isp Thermal nozzles/turbojet
  • Lowered upgraded core temperature antimatter reactor
  • Core temperature antimatter reactor now scales linear with size
  • Antimatter reactor mass scales with volume, which improves TWR of small antimatter reactors
  • Radiators condition now affect ability to prevent overeating thermal nozzle/turbojet
  • Improved Efficiency Helium as electric propellant to 78%
  • Fixed Cryostat power requirement for SETI/NFT-E Mode
  • Excluded Filter Extensions from download package, you are advice to download them separately

Freaking sweet =)

Thanks man!

I have a couple questions because a lot here just isn't explained. How does corrosion affect things in game? What do the +'s and -'s mean on the ISRU chart? Hydrazine looks like a great propellant but I have no idea if the ISRU could produce it or where. Water also looks not bad but how does corrosion work? etc.

I have a couple questions because a lot here just isn't explained. How does corrosion affect things in game? What do the +'s and -'s mean on the ISRU chart? Hydrazine looks like a great propellant but I have no idea if the ISRU could produce it or where. Water also looks not bad but how does corrosion work? etc.

Corrosion is not implemented. Hydrazine creation is possible in the ISRU "Peroxide Process". + mean it's an advantage

Corrosion is not implemented. Hydrazine creation is possible in the ISRU "Peroxide Process". + mean it's an advantage

OK. Hydrazine has a -. So it's a disadvantage? What does that mean in game terms?

I think adding a key to that propellant chart might be an idea. I had to search through the forum to figure out exactly what the soot thing was doing, now the +0.01 and -0.01 makes sense, but it would be easier if there was a brief explanation of what the different tabs mean, even the obvious ones :) That would also help for things, like corrosion, that aren't implemented yet. Plus it could be updated once it IS implemented.

It mean it is difficult, it needs nitrogen, which is hard to find in the wild except on Kerbin/Earth

Or certain moons like Triton that have frozen nitrogen on the surface. Not sure there's an equivalent in the Kerbol system, though I guess Eeloo would come close

Hey there, I was wondering if you could make a small change, can you add a button in VAB so we can change the fuel by default of a Plasma Drive? Most of the time it gets it right, but sometimes I just want to override it.

I'm planning a big expedition to the Outer planets (mod) and I'm really in need of ISRU to avoid embarassment. Now then. What kind of propellant should I use? I have antimatter tech and warp drive but I will really need a lot of dV for braking so I'd like to be on the safe side and bring a lander with ISRU capabilities. Sooo, what propellant is the easiest to get?

This is gonna sound kinda lame, but you might just want to go with LOX (Liquid Fuel and oxidizer) or just liquid fuel. The reason why is I am unsure if the mod has things that this mods ISRU can use, but I am pretty sure there is default game ore on the planets.

You will have to deal with soot, but I am sure you can handle it.

(You can also harvest from asteroids and such, and the ore tanks have very low empty weight)

(Also consider using gravity for braking)

Edited by Profit-

Is Filter Extensions actually required for this mod? It seems to make some parts invisible in the VAB, so I'd prefer not to have it installed...

It's optional, but highly recommended as I made several custom Filters for KSPI to make building vessels with KSPI parts easier.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm planning a big expedition to the Outer planets (mod) and I'm really in need of ISRU to avoid embarassment. Now then. What kind of propellant should I use? I have antimatter tech and warp drive but I will really need a lot of dV for braking so I'd like to be on the safe side and bring a lander with ISRU capabilities. Sooo, what propellant is the easiest to get?

People might not fully have grasp what a fuel switch means, but is allow you to switch propellant during the mission. This mean you can launch to Duna on Hydrazine, om Duna switch to CO/CO2 then travel to Jool, suck the hydrogen from above atmosphere and then land on Titan, collect methane and travel home. So there is not a best propellant, it really depends on the limits of your imagination. Of course all propellant have their Advantages and Disadvantage, but none of them is perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like (according to CKAN) this conflicts with WarpShip.
How so?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, if you want to SCOOP propellant from planets with atmosphere in Outer Planet Mod, you can. About the mining on planets without atmosphere, just be patient a little more.

Good you remind me of it, this is one of those, must implement before release things. The problem is no one seem to bother testing them because how often are you going to do it? But f you can do it, it's gold

- - - Updated - - -

What's the purpose of the Pure Liquid Fuel Tank? Doesn't Fuel Switch allow to change tanks into liquid fuel-only already?

The LiquidFuel Tank is simply a low tech propellant solution which is available very early and useful for stock parts as well

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.