KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

When I try to use a closed cycle gas core engine, it's always stuck in water fuel mode regardless of what I set it to in the VAB. After launch, changing the fuel mode does not seem to work and stays on water mode. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I was just trying to use liquid fuel mode.

- - - Updated - - -

According to the propellant chart, liquid fuel unlocks with the same node as the closed cycle gas engine so it should be working. I'm using standard liquid fuel tanks that aren't configurable to other fuel types.

I guess I have to find a better solution for the LiquidFuel problem as people insist on wanting to use it. I tried to model it as performance propellant, but this becomes a problem with the current tech tree.

Initialy LiquidFuel represented LqdHydrogen, however compaired to LqdHydrogen, LiquidFuel is much, much denser. Simply giving LiquidFuel the same Isp as LqdFuel would make Liquid Hydrogen way overpower in combination with other KSPI technology, which is balanced for realisitc propellants.

I'm thinking about the following solution;

I will give Liquid Fuel Isp modifier of 0.744, allow it to be used with Nuclear propulsion, remove the soot modifier but reduce the Thust Modifier to 1. At the same time I will increase the Isp of the NERVA to 967.74. Combined the NERVA will perform exactly as Porcjet NERVA with 720s Isp and 45 kN, except the LATERN mode is available with Improved nuclear propulsion

- - - Updated - - -

According to the propellant chart, liquid fuel unlocks with the same node as the closed cycle gas engine so it should be working. I'm using standard liquid fuel tanks that aren't configurable to other fuel types.

Seems to be a mistake, thanks

Edited by FreeThinker

I have also misread the chart and you were initially correct as to the problem. Sorry about that. I've been starting at a screen too long. I think people want to use liquid fuel with KSPI because the original Interstellar allowed for it. Familiarity is the best reason I can think of. It's also convenient when standard mining/fueling operations are already in place.

The problem is there in the real world a minimum amount required Enrichhed uranium to create a nuclear reactor.

Sorry to bother you directly, but have you tested the ISRU reprocessing of Actinides into Enriched Uranium in the current/next release?

I've asked earlier in the thread and there seems to be some confusion as to what is required and how it is done.

I intend to make Ammonia avialble earlier, they are clean and often refered as a propellant for nuclear propulsion. In contrast, Hydrazine is no where mentioned as a propellant for nuclear propulsion. I guess there are some technical/securty problems/risk which hold them back. The same holds for Fluorite as Oxidider, it could technically improve afterburning mode

Edited by FreeThinker

I intend to make Ammonia and Nitrogen an early propellant again, they are clean and often refered as a propellant for nuclear propulsion. In contrast, Hydrazine is no where mentioned as a propellant for nuclear propulsion. I guess there are some technical/securty problems/risk which hold them back. The same holds for Fluorite as Oxidider, it could technically improve afterburning mode

I don't understand because I've used Hydrazine as a propellant before with a nuclear reactor/thermal nozzle combination. The propellant chart also says hydrazine is unlocked in the node "efficient nuclear propulsion". This was an older KSPI build. In that build I could put any KSPI fuel into any tank with modular fuel tanks. I'd like to do something similar again.

- - - Updated - - -

I intend to make Ammonia avialble earlier, they are clean and often refered as a propellant for nuclear propulsion. In contrast, Hydrazine is no where mentioned as a propellant for nuclear propulsion. I guess there are some technical/securty problems/risk which hold them back. The same holds for Fluorite as Oxidider, it could technically improve afterburning mode

Here is a screenshot of the current build. Hydrazine appears to work fine as a nuclear propellant. I just want to know which mod will allow me to put it into stock tanks without having to use real fuels because I don't want to deal with limited ignitions and ulage motors. Modular fuel tanks used to do it, but no longer does.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r52/thenewpav/screenshot47.png

- - - Updated - - -

sorry about that mess. Some mistake with copy/paste.

Here is a screenshot of the current build. Hydrazine appears to work fine as a nuclear propellant. I just want to know which mod will allow me to put it into stock tanks without having to use real fuels because I don't want to deal with limited ignitions and ulage motors. Modular fuel tanks used to do it, but no longer does.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r52/thenewpav/screenshot47.png

- - - Updated - - -

sorry about that mess. Some mistake with copy/paste.

Well then, I suggest you find out how it worked in the old version and post your findings on the forum so I can add them as a patch

Well then, I suggest you find out how it worked in the old version and post your findings on the forum so I can add them as a patch

I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with how mod building works but Modular fuel tanks used to allow KSPI fuels in any tank and it no longer does so something has changed about how one or both mods handle resources.

- - - Updated - - -

I retained my install with the older build and just ran it to check. It uses KSP_Interstellar_Extended-1.1.20, and Interstellar_Fuel_Switch-1.11. I was mistaken about modular fuel tanks. When I go into it's UI, I get no option to add KSPI fuels, however, the stock tanks in that build work with the standard Interstellar fuel switch interface "next tank setup" so the change is in interstellar fuel switch. Do you know why it would allow stock tanks to be configured in 1.11 and not in 1.16?

I'll see what I can find out. I've spent the last couple hrs going through part configs trying to figure out what the difference may be. Do you have future plane to allow interstellar fuels in stock parts? It would be a shame if not. It's a great mod and being limited to only a few tanks would greatly reduce design choices and the effectiveness of the mod as a whole.

I'll see what I can find out. I've spent the last couple hrs going through part configs trying to figure out what the difference may be. Do you have future plane to allow interstellar fuels in stock parts? It would be a shame if not. It's a great mod and being limited to only a few tanks would greatly reduce design choices and the effectiveness of the mod as a whole.

My patch (also available off of CKAN) adds IFS (with all liquid & gaseous KSPI fuels) to various stock fuel-tanks. If you have MFT or RF installed, it will limit itself to only the tanks that have only liquidfuel. If you do not, it will add itself to all tanks (and retain the stock LFO/LF/MonoPropellant options).

Edited by ABZB

Thanks ABZB! This will help quite a bit but I'm stumped as to why my previous interstellar build (on KSP 1.02) allowed all tanks to work with IFS and not now in the new build (All versions KSP, Interstellar, IFS up to date). I need to find a way to get that functionality back as among my designs I'm pretty much using all tank types.

- - - Updated - - -

It allowed me to make really neat things like this: http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r52/thenewpav/screenshot550.png

A nuclear, hydrazine fueled ship and lander for a mission to Moho.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.