KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

1 minute ago, Profit- said:

The LqdNitrogen ends up being my go to reaction thrust though because I can gather it while launching, start off with 0% and reach orbit with 90% of my fuel tanks full. 

Wow! 

How much time does it take to refuel in place? e.g. do you manage to generate Nitrogen faster then burn it? How do you compose your craft?

BTW is there any example of ISRU-Extraction base?

Actualy it even more to it than this table appears to suggest as propellant have side effects like any propellant containing carbon will soot the thetmal heat exchangers which reduce effective thrust and overheat the engine. Other condideration are propellant cost, ISRU versitility, extraterredtrial availability, density and crygenic requirements.

All of this might seem complex but it allows the player to make intresting choices. KSPI is a hard science mod. That means you might accidently learn something.:cool:

Edited by FreeThinker

56 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

What about the efficiency of the thermal generator not changing when waste heat goes up or down, it's always stuck at 11%, unlike the molten electric which varies between ~50% with no waste heat at ~5% with almost full waste heat?

Not sure what is happening here, it might be a bug. Could you please post a few screendumps and tell me what your highest electric , thermal and reactor power technologies you have unlocked

44 minutes ago, Demeter said:

Wow! 

How much time does it take to refuel in place? e.g. do you manage to generate Nitrogen faster then burn it? How do you compose your craft?

I never timed it exactly but I add the radial scoops, switch them on with 0% in the tanks (gives a better lift off than starting full) and have a arc-jet or late game a vacuum thruster thingy and power up and fly.  Sometimes change my ascent angle to be more shallow to give it more time but usually not.   

Biggest thing is I use fusion engines on lithium-deuterium power coupled with charged particle generators.  They crank out the juice. 

Edited by Profit-

43 minutes ago, Demeter said:

Wow! 

The atmospheric scoops work both in atmospheres as in space just above the atmosphere. Just above the atmosphere the composition of the atmosphere chances. Lighter elements like Hydrogen and helium be become more abundant. If the vessel has acces to a High Isp engine it will allow you to gather these resources while not loaded. This will allow you to create self refueling fuel depots. Best locations for this to work would be at gas planets. Gas planets are a good source of Helium 3 which is the most effective fusion fuel in existance

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

The atmospheric scoops work both in atmospheres as in space just above the atmosphere. Just above the atmosphere the composition of the atmosphere chances. Lighter elements like Hydrogen and helium be become more abundant. If the vessel has acces to a High Isp engine it will allow you to gather these resources while not loaded. This will allow you to create self refueling fuel depots. Best locations for this to work would be at gas planets.

Or if you have the right type of heat shielding you can "fuel shark" and dive into the atmosphere and then pop up  while thrusting to really collect reaction mass. 

21 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Not sure what is happening here, it might be a bug. Could you please post a few screendumps and tell me what your highest electric , thermal and reactor power technologies you have unlocked

Here is with the waste heat at full, I get 4.04% efficiency on the molten salt and 11.24% efficiency with the Thermal Electric Gen connected to the gas core.

Using hyper edit to push waste heat to the bottom I get 54.88% efficiency from the molten salt and 11.92% efficiency from the gas core + thermal gen.

I have unlocked the thermal electric gen upgrade as per the 3rd screenshot, I am just before fusion power and I have the second last thermal tech unlocked.

I can attach a save file if wanted.

http://imgur.com/a/886Qb

Edited by Liquid5n0w

1 hour ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Here is with the waste heat at full, I get 4.04% efficiency on the molten salt and 11.24% efficiency with the Thermal Electric Gen connected to the gas core.

Using hyper edit to push waste heat to the bottom I get 54.88% efficiency from the molten salt and 11.92% efficiency from the gas core + thermal gen.

I have unlocked the thermal electric gen upgrade as per the 3rd screenshot, I am just before fusion power and I have the second last thermal tech unlocked.

I can attach a save file if wanted.

Molten salt has low core temp - 2500 K or so, and gas core (stand alone reactor) cant work properly under acceleration.

You need bigger radiators to cool down molten salt, so it can work with better efficiency.

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Actualy it even more to it than this table appears to suggest as propellant have side effects like any propellant containing carbon will soot the thetmal heat exchangers which reduce effective thrust and overheat the engine. Other condideration are propellant cost, ISRU versitility, extraterredtrial availability, density and crygenic requirements.

All of this might seem complex but it allows the player to make intresting choices. KSPI is a hard science mod. That means you might accidently learn something.:cool:

Is there a way to clean the soot out of the thermal nozzles or is it a permanent effect?

4 minutes ago, EleSigma said:

Is there a way to clean the soot out of the thermal nozzles or is it a permanent effect?

The most effective method to remove the Soot by using Carbon-dioxide at lot thrust but any non soothing propellant will also clean out the soot but less efficient. For details look at at propellant table on the first page

Edited by FreeThinker

i played for a while at ksp for a while with this mod installed 

yesterday i tried to create a plane with the direct cicle turbojet and it did way too much heat, so i tried to look up in the internet to know how to resolve the problem, 

i found out that my version wasnt the correct one and i didnt have the correct techtree, so i fallowed the instruction on the wiki by creating a new carreer game and selecting the intestellar tech tree, but i didnt get any prompt for it, im out of solution for it :(  

plz help me

i got a print screen of ckan mod installed

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=89574C15F51FA0B4!37908&authkey=!AEp-EfNTo0g-YKs&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng 

Edited by yugo0364

49 minutes ago, yugo0364 said:

i played for a while at ksp for a while with this mod installed 

yesterday i tried to create a plane with the direct cicle turbojet and it did way too much heat, so i tried to look up in the internet to know how to resolve the problem, 

i found out that my version wasnt the correct one and i didnt have the correct techtree, so i fallowed the instruction on the wiki by creating a new carreer game and selecting the intestellar tech tree, but i didnt get any prompt for it, im out of solution for it :(  

plz help me

i got a print screen of ckan mod installed

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=89574C15F51FA0B4!37908&authkey=!AEp-EfNTo0g-YKs&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng 

You don't need to install CTT to play KSPI-E. KSPI-E incorperates all technodes it needs. It disables this feature when CTT is installed which will add all tech nodes, even though most will be empty.

just an idea: what if engineers can remove soot from engines? (that does not mean that I am stuck somewhere with sooted engines, or does it >_<)

and there could be a limit lik e1 star can remove everything but 50%, 5 star can remove everything but 10%

12 minutes ago, nablabla said:

just an idea: what if engineers can remove soot from engines? (that does not mean that I am stuck somewhere with sooted engines, or does it >_<)

and there could be a limit lik e1 star can remove everything but 50%, 5 star can remove everything but 10%

The parts that get soot on them and are affected are surprisingly delicate, and while I think it should be possible, no earth based cleaner will really work in space so it would require some tech and probably specialized tools. .
 $(KGrHqJ,!mIE8FJSoeLoBPMp!DMRjQ~~_2.JPG

so i removed ctt and i got the old tree back like when i first downloaded interstellar

is it normal that some nodes are empty?

is it the good tree ?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=89574C15F51FA0B4!37910&authkey=!ADeC2HEGxiJB_Vs&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

when i build something with the direct cicle turbojet 

what the mk? is for (1,2,3,4,5)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=89574C15F51FA0B4!37909&authkey=!ADGy1UyvCcgkyAo&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

is it the scale ?

if not how i upgrade it?

@FreeThinker (or anyone else who can provide input): Arrowstar is going to be adding in the ability to rename and track more propellants/masses in KSP TOT. It's a big undertaking though and he asked me how many would be enough; you can see the conversation starting here:

I figured six in total would be plenty for most applications, assuming both KSPI-E *and* TAC-LS. TAC-LS takes two, leaving four "buckets" for propellants (any propellant combinations could be converted by hand to fit in one slot, like LFO already is).

If anyone can think of edge cases that come-up enough that more propellant tracking would be helpful, best get it done now, since once he's done it he won't want to do it yet again.

On 6/7/2016 at 1:04 AM, FreeThinker said:

Instead of fixed resource tank I rather prefer switchable fuel tanks.

Weird indeed. It almost sound if something went wrong durring scaling. Next time this happens, please take note of the surface area of thr radiators and temperature. It determines how effective you will be able to lose your wasteheat

it shouldn't change between the first load and a revert to launch, should it?  I'm not changing the craft in between those points, just a simple revert and suddenly it radiates heat far better?

Also following up to our previous thread on the warp drives - under *any* circumstances that gravity causes *any* slowdown of warp, instant craft destruction.  Any body, any craft, any attempt.  As soon as you get close enough to a gravity well to necessitate a reduction in speed, *boom*.  Doesn't matter if it's 2.5c to 1.0c or 0.100c to 0.063c .. just the mere act of slowing down through gravity is fatal.  Slowing down manually is fine however, and all other aspects of the warp drive function as expected.

11 hours ago, Profit- said:

The parts that get soot on them and are affected are surprisingly delicate, and while I think it should be possible, no earth based cleaner will really work in space so it would require some tech and probably specialized tools. .
 $(KGrHqJ,!mIE8FJSoeLoBPMp!DMRjQ~~_2.JPG

You need a new class of Kerbal for that.  Chimney Sweep.  5 star chimney sweep can clean damn near anything :)

19 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Molten salt has low core temp - 2500 K or so, and gas core (stand alone reactor) cant work properly under acceleration.

You need bigger radiators to cool down molten salt, so it can work with better efficiency.

The gas core is floating in orbit and getting 11% eff at all temps.  Something isn't working.

@FreeThinker I just realized the imgur album didn't attach properly.  I have edited the post and just added a link to it

19 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

The gas core is floating in orbit and getting 11% eff at all temps.  Something isn't working.

@FreeThinker I just realized the imgur album didn't attach properly.  I have edited the post and just added a link to it

From that image, your waste heat is really high. You likely need more/better radiators to cool the generator.

A heat based generator works essentially the same as a water turbine. If the water can't flow, you get no power, regardless of how much water you have available.

Edited by Txzeenath

2 minutes ago, Txzeenath said:

From that image, your waste heat is really high. You need radiators to cool the generator.

I used hyper edit to intentionally push the waste heat high to see how the efficiency changed.  The molten salt seems to work fine, but the efficiency of the thermal electric generator just stays at 11% no matter how much heat.

46 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

I used hyper edit to intentionally push the waste heat high to see how the efficiency changed.  The molten salt seems to work fine, but the efficiency of the thermal electric generator just stays at 11% no matter how much heat.

Ahh, yeah, I didn't see the extra info boxes off to the sides or the additional image. I see now :-p

I agree, regardless of your configuration, you should see an efficiency change from 0-100% simply due to how the generators work.

edit-

From the code, it looks like it might be using the efficiency of the source as well as the generator which might be causing some confusion in the display. The gas core has only about 50% efficiency. I could be wrong, I haven't looked at the code for this mod much so it's still kinda a maze to me.

Edited by Txzeenath

3 hours ago, Txzeenath said:

From that image, your waste heat is really high. You likely need more/better radiators to cool the generator.

A heat based generator works essentially the same as a water turbine. If the water can't flow, you get no power, regardless of how much water you have available.

It seems like not upgraded thermal generator.

Thermal generation efficiency is cut in half for open gas core.

20 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

It seems like not upgraded thermal generator.

Thermal generation efficiency is cut in half for open gas core.

Ah, so it gets bad efficiency no matter what?  So it's not good for launching and it's not good for generating power?  Whats the point of the open cycle generator?

26 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Ah, so it gets bad efficiency no matter what?  So it's not good for launching and it's not good for generating power?  Whats the point of the open cycle generator?

The point is high Isp with relatively high thrust propulsion with relativly low mass and dimentions. For electric propulsion it is simply not optimised. The magnetic confinement fusion reactor will perform better in this role as it is able to breed charged particles and convert directly into electric power.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.