KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

16 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You are not looking correctly, notice the field Beamed power, it sais 7.549 GW, which appears to be correct because you need the remaining 0.915 to keep the Fusion Reactor active. Only the receiver if offline, which is correctly behavior because it can only receiver or transmit. Notice that in future version, this part is not suitable for transmitting on the surface, it needs to be able to pivot to have this ability

I am very very sorry, my mistake... wrong type of electric generator! I needed direct thermal one... not charged particles... now I'm getting about 58 GW but it drops slightly with accumulation of waste heat... shouldn't radiators deal with that? Same thing with transmitter... when it reaches top amount of waste heat it shuts down...I can stop the waste heat gauge but will it blow up later?

Edited by NeverEnoughFuel!!

8 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

I made a quick test. TweakScale, Toolbar and IFS doesn't seems to work at all, and Filter Extension gives some graphical glitch in the editor.

In flight, I had no UI from reactor, generator or everything else, as you can see in the screen.

http://imgur.com/a/H0QL6

Where is you thermal electric generator? Target Fusion Reactor only produce heat, no charged particles ...

It appears I forgot to include IFS in the package, You have to download IFS separately, then you should be able to create this:

SLAe16r.png

Edited by FreeThinker

9 hours ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

I am very very sorry, my mistake... wrong type of electric generator! I needed direct thermal one... not charged particles... now I'm getting about 58 GW but it drops slightly with accumulation of waste heat... shouldn't radiators deal with that? Same thing with transmitter... when it reaches top amount of waste heat it shuts down...I can stop the waste heat gauge but will it blow up later?

No,  It simply stops functioning, just make sure you add enough radiators, this is not Near Future where you can get away with a tiny radiators, your deleing with Gigawats here, you need a lot of radiators. In fact, a large part of your  vessel needs to consists out of radiators. People are spoiled by startrek that do not show any radiators at all.

Edited by FreeThinker

Is there an obvious reason why canTransmit = false for the deployable phased array microwave receiver (or any of the microwave parts for that matter)? I'm generating megajoules and have radiators on my craft. Is it likely a bug, mod-incompatibility, or a design problem? Ubuntu ksp 64 bit. 

I could use a little help.

My goal is to be able to use liquid hydrogen as a fuel for fusion in the field. As far as I can tell, this means it has to be converted to gaseous hydrogen first. I can't figure out a way to do that.

The reactors don't appear capable of running off liquid hydrogen directly, and although a part called a "Universal Gasifier" is in WarpPlugin/Utilities, it appears to be currently unimplemented. As I can only get liquid hydrogen from water electrolysis, this leaves me in a bit of a bind. I could probably go change all the reactors to run off liquid hydrogen, but I really don't want to have to do that if I can avoid it.

Is there some sort of part that has been added since 1.9.2 that allows the transformation of gases to liquids and back? (Just updated to KSPI-E 1.9.11) Or is there some way to run a reactor off liquid hydrogen? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by smithblack_0

7 hours ago, smithblack_0 said:

Is there some sort of part that has been added since 1.9.2 that allows the transformation of gases to liquids and back? (Just updated to KSPI-E 1.9.11) Or is there some way to run a reactor off liquid hydrogen? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes there are, a universal gasifier and a universal liquifier

6 hours ago, sentania said:

For compatibility with sigma dimensions what are you doing for seconds in the day and the speed of light?   And why?

The scale component affect speed of light while Time parameter affecs information representation

Got it on the time.

why change the speed of light though?  If you rescale by 10.618 to get "real size" kerbin , etc why do you need to change it?   I'm just trying to understand why you change is for sigma dimensions but not RSS 

Got it on the time.

why change the speed of light though?  If you rescale by 10.618 to get "real size" kerbin , etc why do you need to change it?   I'm just trying to understand why you change is for sigma dimensions but not RSS 

I have been away from this mod for a long time but thought I would give it a go in sandbox and test out some stuff.  I seem to be having a problem with plasma thruster operating in quantum vacuum mode ... or am not understanding something.  My test vehicle has a 1.25m antimatter reactor, charged particle gen, & a plasma thruster in quantum vac mode.

Reactor Stats: Charged Power 586MW / 4.5GW (Why isn't it generating more?)

Generator Stats: Current Power 507MW of  3.89GW 

Thrust:  0.8kN with max throttle power: 507MW (Is this all that the thruster can do?  Is it limited in the power it can output?)

I kind of assumed I would get more thrust out of it since the wiki states this:

When upgraded, the plasma engine is capable of pushing against the quantum vacuum itself to provide thrust. This mode only functions while not in an atmosphere and has the same performance as liquid fuel.

I am certainly not seeing the same performance as liquid fuel ... so whats going on exactly.  Thanks for any information.

vBcsPsM.png

Edited by AeroEngy

17 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes there are, a universal gasifier and a universal liquifier

The scale component affect speed of light while Time parameter affecs information representation

As I said, I tried to use these parts after digging around in this post and the config files for KSPI-E, but they appeared to be broken. I certainty couldn't get them to show up in the VAB in creative mode. For me at least they don't work.

I freely admit I know little about KSP modding, but I do know coding in general and I know that a part without a model isn't going to work. In this case the part doesn't have one. While basically every other part in KSPI-E has an associated Model.mu file in the part with the file, these parts don't. 

There is a weird line pointing towards "UniversalStorage." Is it dependent on it? It almost looks like it is getting it's model information from that mod... I'll go test that now.

Source:

/WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/Gasifier/UniversaGasifierWedge.cfg

/WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/Liquidficator/UniversalLiquidficatorWedge

EDIT: Test Results.

It appears the Gasifier and Liquidficator are indeed dependent on UniversalStorage. The UniversalGasifier showed up just fine as soon as I put it in, abit by hijacking one of UniversalStorage's models. 

For anyone in the future with this problem, install Universal Storage to resolve it.

Search Tags: Hydrogen, Liquid Hydrogen, Gas. 

Edited by smithblack_0
Tested, Got it to work

@AeroEngyFor optimal performance, the super conductors of the the engine of the microwave resonance engine need to be cooled. Use radiator with larger surface area

Also, for higher performance, add a thermal electric generator, otherwise 20% of all antimatter energy is converted directly into waste-heat.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, smithblack_0 said:

As I said, I tried to use these parts after digging around in this post and the config files for KSPI-E, but they appeared to be broken. I certainty couldn't get them to show up in the VAB in creative mode. For me at least they don't work.

I freely admit I know little about KSP modding, but I do know coding in general and I know that a part without a model isn't going to work. In this case the part doesn't have one. While basically every other part in KSPI-E has an associated Model.mu file in the part with the file, these parts don't. 

There is a weird line pointing towards "UniversalStorage." Is it dependent on it? It almost looks like it is getting it's model information from that mod... I'll go test that now.

Source:

/WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/Gasifier/UniversaGasifierWedge.cfg

/WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/Liquidficator/UniversalLiquidficatorWedge

EDIT: Test Results.

It appears the Gasifier and Liquidficator are indeed dependent on UniversalStorage. The UniversalGasifier showed up just fine as soon as I put it in, abit by hijacking one of UniversalStorage's models. 

For anyone in the future with this problem, install Universal Storage to resolve it.

Search Tags: Hydrogen, Liquid Hydrogen, Gas. 

Great, you found the answer, I should have been clearer, I have this mod always installed and I wrong fully assumed every has.

Note that the converted is a temporary stop gap, the plan it to make reactor accept both resources.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

@AeroEngyFor optimal performance, the super conductors of the the engine of the microwave resonance engine need to be cooled. Use radiator with larger surface area

Also, for higher performance, add a thermal elecctric generator, otherwise 20% of all antimatter energy is converted directly into waste-heat.

I wasn't to worried about waste heat in this test. I  was just trying to get a feel for the performance level of the quantum vacuum mode.  I just needed it to not shut down for <  1 minute.

I was mainly curious if this very low thrust level is typical in quantum vac mode? Why max throttle power is only ~500MW when the reactor/generator combo can produce up to 3.9GW.... what is limiting the power output to the thruster?

18 minutes ago, AeroEngy said:

I wasn't to worried about waste heat in this test. I  was just trying to get a feel for the performance level of the quantum vacuum mode.  I just needed it to not shut down for <  1 minute.

I was mainly curious if this very low thrust level is typical in quantum vac mode? Why max throttle power is only ~500MW when the reactor/generator combo can produce up to 3.9GW.... what is limiting the power output to the thruster?

Electric engines is mainly limited my heat produced / engine mass. Heat production is directly tied to efficiency, higher efficiency means higher potential power for the same size of engine. The efficiency the quantum vacuum is quite low, as a result the amount of heat produced is increases, which will limit maximum  power consumption and saturate the radiators faster with Wasteheat, which will limit maximum  output further, until a balance is achieved. To produce more thrust, get more radiators and use a bigger engine. (you can scale it up) or use multiple engines..

The balance is mainly created for Nuclear/Fusion reactors. Antimatter reactor are a bit too powerful  to use for this purpose, I will address this problem in a future update where I will introduce more powerful engines that can handle the power of antimatter engines. Note that based the engine strength on published power but they only managed to build a 100 KW at best, KSP emgine are a magnitude 100 times stronger, but they can only achieve this with superconductors which need to be cooled.

Edited by FreeThinker

Thanks for the information.  I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get back into this mod.  I haven't played KSP for over a year so lots of new things to get back into.

16 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Antimatter reactor are a bit too powerful  to use for this purpose, I will address this problem in a future update where I will introduce more powerful engines that can handle the power of antimatter engines. 

What??? No such thing as too much power!  Actually I was messing around and put 2x antimatter reactors / thermal turbojets on a MK2 plane.  It was ~10g at full throttle in atmospheric mode off the runway and I killed Jeb pretty quick.  I had a hard time keeping the throttle low enough for it to be controllable ... might have been a tad of overkill.

Thanks again.

On 18.9.2016 at 11:03 PM, FreeThinker said:

For anyone interested, I have just uploaded a Alpha version of KSPI compiled against KSP 1.2 prerelease which can be downloaded from here.

The package contains a KSP 1.2 compatbile version of Tweakscale and Toolkit (IFS needs to be downloaded seperately).

Noe that any MM script require an updated version of Module Manager

I would really appreciate any help in finding any new or existing bugs

I was messing around with your pre-release earlier this evening to familiarize myself with the changes to the microwave systems...and failed gloriously. First it took me some time to figure out which parts actually to what in the current version and which part combinations are required to get a power transmission running. (Part Descriptions are kind of a mess atm and the words transmitter/transducer/reciever/relay are for my eyes randomly spread among the parts)
In terms of gameplay I managed to get some power stations running in orbit (Gyrotron+Transducer+Fusion Reactor/Generator) and other craft could recieve that power with various parts.

The game became however pretty unstable when trying to use beamed power to launch a rocket. The craft attached to the post is kind of a random combination of recieving parts and a thermal launchnozzle. (Note that it doesn't actually work since there are no radiators on the craft - I removed those to narrow the problems down). Steps to reproduce a freeze or crash:

1. Launch attached craft

2. stage thermal launch nozzle or activate manually

In some cases the screen will just turn black, in some the game will crash and in other the skybox will be shown. 

Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B088tTghL16sQ184OWxkNjQzams

Craft: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B088tTghL16sZlA5ck43TEk2a1U

I'll continue messing around tomorrow - If you want me to check out any specific areas let me know...I'd be glad to help debugging the new version

Edited by Amnesy

On 22-9-2016 at 2:05 AM, Amnesy said:

I was messing around with your pre-release earlier this evening to familiarize myself with the changes to the microwave systems...and failed gloriously. First it took me some time to figure out which parts actually to what in the current version and which part combinations are required to get a power transmission running. (Part Descriptions are kind of a mess atm and the words transmitter/transducer/reciever/relay are for my eyes randomly spread among the parts)
In terms of gameplay I managed to get some power stations running in orbit (Gyrotron+Transducer+Fusion Reactor/Generator) and other craft could recieve that power with various parts.

The game became however pretty unstable when trying to use beamed power to launch a rocket. The craft attached to the post is kind of a random combination of recieving parts and a thermal launchnozzle. (Note that it doesn't actually work since there are no radiators on the craft - I removed those to narrow the problems down). Steps to reproduce a freeze or crash:

1. Launch attached craft

2. stage thermal launch nozzle or activate manually

In some cases the screen will just turn black, in some the game will crash and in other the skybox will be shown. 

Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B088tTghL16sQ184OWxkNjQzams

Craft: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B088tTghL16sZlA5ck43TEk2a1U

I'll continue messing around tomorrow - If you want me to check out any specific areas let me know...I'd be glad to help debugging the new version

good feedback, it's true about the beamed network isn't finished yet, I didn't call it Alpha without any reason, I have hardly been able to test it myself, so it's very well possible things are broken/non functional

Looking at the log, I see many problems are caused by the lack of Community Tech Tree, which you need to have installed before Module Manager is made avaialable for KSP 1.2

Edited by FreeThinker

I hyperedited a generator ship to orbit with all possible power beaming antennas and same antennas on other ships to receive that power.

Only microwave beam transmitters are usable, other antennas do not even have transmit options. Microwave power have have greatly reduced efficiency in space( I guess this was intended) but other wavelengths do not have option to transmit or I could not find correct antennas somehow.

Edited by yafeshan

For clarification, the other transmitter need a beam generator

like in this picture, the Gyrotron under Microwave Transducer

SLAe16r.png

Note in order to use the Laser turret you either need the Diode Laser or the Free Electron Laser.

The FELA dish can work with either Gyrotron , Diode Laser or Free Electron Laser

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.