KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Hey guys I love the concept to this mod and can appreciate how massive an undertaking something like this is, so before I critique anything I just wanted to say thanks for making this and I have no idea how I could offer to help but if I can I'd like to.

Having said that I'd like to ask some question about what this mod is supposed to do. I've been playing this (with a bunch of other mods) for the last several weeks and on the balance I've had a huge amount of fun. But as I've gotten deeper into the tech tree I've hit some game play balance problems that just don't make sense to me. First off as of the latest version 1.9.11 how balanced do you guys consider the reactors / generators to be? Are they working as intended or are you still in the middle of overhauling values? I'm asking because if your in the process of tweaking stuff I don't want to point out problems. If you're considering this area to be WAD then... either I'm getting some serious operator error another mod is causing conflicts or interstellar needs another balance pass.

First off on costs there is practically no way to justify the costs, or even achieve the funds needed for the reactors in career mode. I've played around a lot with the thermal engines and plasma engine using beamed power from low solar sats with relays around kerbin. And while it feels a little over powered considering I've sunk about 6-8 mil in funds to establish that beamed power it feels fun from a game play perspective. And for any target from Duna inwards this network works well. And in all honesty even though nothing but the beamed power seems to really be working effectively that alone makes the game way more fun. (and yes I had to cheat and turn on transmit = true for several of the other transmitters that say they are supposed to be transmitters :P)

However now that I'm wanting to start sending stuff to the outer planets I've realized I need some power around kerbin or even further out so that I can still use a reasonable amount of beamed power. And here's where the first problem comes in. My solar sippers inside the orbit of Moho can produce several 100 megajoules. Even after I cut the costs of reactors by 1/10 and did the same to radiators there is no reasonable cost efficient way to get that kind of power generation except for with sun hugging solar blankets. Yes I just went into the mod file and lopped a 0 off the end of ever cost figure and the reactors are still unbalanced/overpriced.

Now part of the problem is that I don't believe the upgrade system is working. I'm up to fusion power on the tech tree and my understanding is that my reactors should be mk3 or mk4. Because I've suspected a bug I went in and modded the figures for the pebble bed so that the base power output for mk1 is the same as base power output for mk3. Guess what it almost makes sense to use this reactor now. Also I've double checked this in sandbox and by cheating and giving myself unlimited science. None of the reactors generators or other parts show any improvement as I unlock the tech tree. This compounds the problem as mk1 radiators add to the cost as well.

Another balance problem I've found lie's in tweaking the size of the thermal engines. As long as I have enough power a .625m size thermal ramjet/rocketjet produces almost as much thrust as a 5.0m but the .625 has an isp over 1000 the 5.0m has an isp less than 200. Can someone else confirm this or is this a mod conflict?

I've just now begun to play around with the engines other than the thermal and plasma ones... I can't seem to get the Vasmir to work and the nuclear light bulb can barely get itself off the ground even with only a few 100 delta/v of fuel (concidering the wiki says this thing should be able to put 100 tons into orbit something isn't working there) and the deadalus at 72 tons has so little thrust I can't imagine any application where it would ever be useful. 

I'm fairly confident that my experiences are not limited tome or caused by another mod conflict. watch this series https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-vgoVjgUTW-WVJULZHORw  particularly episode 4 and 5 

and you can see him run into alot of the same problems. There are a number of engines that are amazing, and there are a number that are effectively worthless. The same holds true with the reactors.

Lastly there are some outdated tables on the wiki https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Reactors that list power output in MW. How much that that equate to in mega joules if I beam it out from a power station in orbit and are those figures supposed to be accurate for the mod as it stands right now?

Oh one other thing that I'm a little confused on. All of the documentation talks about the thrust and ISP of REACTORS but which thermal nozzle or engine is that in reference too as each of them has slightly different performance? The reason I ask is when I attach a thermal rocket or turbo jet to various different reactors I do get varying amounts of thrust but I'm not noticing different values for isp (other than changing based on size which I feal is a bug?)

5 hours ago, Sresk said:

*snip*

funds for ship parts - make ships for free in space using raw materials using mods like extraplanetary launchpads and USI stuff.  Transmitters are works in progress i assume after the changes made to them i.e. rectenna transmits.

solar panels work better the closer you are to the sun, is a feature cause its a pita to get there =)

if i could not build a ship in space / moon and launch it from there i would have to resort to building it in pieces and launching them into space and assembling there as the good engines for motherships do not work in atmo - vasmir for example.

i havent gotten a chance to try the newest version for upgrading parts, but does the output change even if the mk3 title does not?

thermal engines do not produce heat for thrust. reactors do. so you'd need a bigger source of heat for bigger thermal engines.

Vasmir does not work in atmo

im gonna say... "what?" to the nuclear lightbulb not exploding your face off on its way to orbit.. thats my primary recoverable rocket booster there. size it up to 3.74 

the deadalus engine runs off fuels you can create in a fusion reactor, using a Deterium Deterium fusion reaction creates Tritanium so its ideal for big motherships using other fuels for smaller craft for various purposes its an interstellar drive not a "to the mun and back" engine, im also pritty sure its ment to be used while timewarping having not used it yet (or have other stars to visit in my mods... yet...)

finding it best to test each thing individually like my upsized fusion reactors! And the last time i did a write up for engines and power and whatnot freethinker changed them and broke it XD *flails*, probably not on purpose however

my petpeeve is having so many parts on my ships after getting them slimmed down. only having to put a horde of radiators on it to make it function,seriously need some metagaming radiators here not all my ships can have a 10m wide circular radiator and still look cool... looking cool is a thing! .. also i hate stacking radiators XD

Ok then we're not talking about the same lightbulb :) This ship has a lightbulb a command pod a radiator and a transmitter

http://imgur.com/a/s1p0r 

Of the 62 tons of rocket 44 of it is the light bulb and a TWR of 2 without a payload is no where near blow your face off territory. I've built some thermal nozzle rocket with beamed thermal power from my sun satellites and accidentally pushed 15+ g's. This thing barely gets itself off the ground.

And on the upgrades I'm pretty positive it's broken unlocking new nodes in the tech tree didnt change any stats or performance that I could see.

And on the beamed power from the low orbiting sun sippers (as I like to call them) that's actually my favorite feature. Like I said I hacked the mod so that most of the arrays can transmit and I agree with you it's such a pain to get them there and so expensive to set it up that the pay off of having over powered thermal receivers feels justified. And they have their limits.

I tried to run a mission to dres with a probe, had 10k+ delta V and almost a 1 TWR when I left orbit had less than .3 delta TWR when I got there and only if I was oriented correctly... which incidently was NOT retrograde :P I spent almost 25 mins and 1000's of wasted delta v burning at 45 degree to retrograde in slow circles just so my receivers could get power. That felt like good game balance and made me want to set up some good power generators at orbits far away from the sun 

Edited by Sresk

I play kspi-e with realism overhaul and costs look pretty reasonable. Hybrid thermal rocket is the only viable kspie launch rocket in my view. Other costly parts of kspi-e is reasonable when you think about what you are getting out of it. They give incredible amount of dV with good design.

Do you mean the thermal launch nozzle? Try building some SSTO planes with the ramjet nozzle and beamed power that thing cooks. But you still reinforced my point. If there are only 1 or two viable options then all other other parts are added complexity without any game play benefit. They are toys no one with play with because they aren't good for anything. 

It's my point about the reactors. Solar beamed power is fun and has a real use but alot of draw backs. The reactors can't get themselves into space and don't come close to competeing with solar beamed power, so there is no viable way to use them.

Oh also said you play with realism over hual does that include real fuels or smurf?

I am not sure if this is a bug or something I am doing wrong (1.2 Pre).

I have built a simple ship with a vista engine, nuclear reactor, and thermal electric generator, used the thermal helper to make sure it has enough radiators, added the computer asas thingy as that looked important.

When I launch the craft whatever I do all the electric charge drains from the ship and when I click on the reactor control window button the window pops up but it is blank with no controls.

The engine works but only produces a 70kn on a touch of throttle, any more throttle and it cuts out.

I am reading through the guides for this mod but I can't find anything to do with a blank reactor control window or why the reactors wont start.

On 24-9-2016 at 4:30 AM, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Does anyone know what are distance penalties in setting up a microwave power network in interstellar mod ... i.e how far a Gw is still a Gw before it dissipates to a Kw? 

What is important to realize that the overall efficiency is dependent on 7 variables,

1 transmission efficiency (90% for microwave)

2 receiver efficiency (90% for microwave)

3 transmitter aperture diameter

4 receiver dish diameter

5 wavelength size (shorter wavelength translate into less dispersal and therefore longer effective wavelength)

6 wavelength atmospheric absorption (4% going straight up)

7 atmospheric pressure of transmitter/receiver

For detail you should look at the Beamed Power table on the first page.

But the short story is that microwave power is suitable best for short range power transmission , within the atmosphere and low orbit It's main intended purpose are launches and SSTO space planes. Infrared beamed power is less efficient, but capable of send thermal power within Kerbin SOI. To reach nearby planets, you need to transmit in UV wavelength, which thanks to it short wavelength able to reach much longer distances at the cost of lower efficiency when transmitting or receiving. Note that the UV/Visible wavelength can also be used by regular solar cells to send power all the way to Jool.

2 hours ago, kerbal Space said:

How to Change active raw power to power output mk 5 in every reactor ?

For career mode it is important to understand, the reactors become more powerful as more technology is unlocked. For details look at the first page reactor table.

Edited by FreeThinker

20 hours ago, Sresk said:

watch this series https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-vgoVjgUTW-WVJULZHORw  particularly episode 4 and 5 

Interesting video, especially when the author got confused what to do but still managed to learn from initial mistakes, still he didn't overcome some major ones which lead to wrong conclusions.

First of, you mainly used the Molten Salt reactor, although this is an easy to use(with a build in Thermal Electric Generator) , it is a first generation reactor which main purpose it long term power production, not launching rockets into orbit or power interstellar engines. In terms of power it's actually one of the weakest. There are many more advanced reactor which has easily solved all power and thrust problems you encountered. Note that most of therm require a separate thermal electric generator.  You would have easily found these parts if you had used the Interstellar Filter Extension (second last above Squad).

When he tried the launch nozzle, at one point, he didn't receive any propulsion because it couldn't overcome atmospheric static pressure. KSPI nozzles actually use real physics for calculating thrust. The problem was that besides using the weakest reactor, you use Hydrogen, which has highest Isp, but has the lowest possible thrust. If you had used any other propellant, like for instance Hydrolox (Hydrogen + Oxygen) you would have had three times the thrust at only 62% of max Isp. There are even more advanced propellant available that give even higher thrust and isp.

The Deadalus engine is intended for interstellar travel, to do this effectively, you need to supply with a stable power supply of Megajoules. The most effective reactors are other fusion reactor mend for electric power production, like a Magnetic Confine Fusion Reactor (in D-He mode) or Colliding Beam Fusion Reactor. Also note this engine has a time warp functionality. To activate, simple increase throttle a bit and accelerate, you will note you will shoot by Jool in a matter of seconds as it start to accelerate to ridiculous high speed, if you supply it with sufficient power and propellant you can reach up to half the speed of light.

The Magnetic nozzle is technically one of most efficient engines if you know how to use it. First of, you need to be connected directly or indirectly to a reactor that generates charged particles, this can be a Fission Fragment Reactor, Magnetic Confinement Fusion, Antimatter initiated Fusion reactor or a Beam core Antimatter reactor. Second, you need to power it with Megajoule of power. Similarly to the original Vista, you can increase, and decrease thrust. At it lowest thrust setting, and therefore highest Isp, it will effectively not use any Hydrogen propellant, effectively making it run on fusion alone.

Edited by FreeThinker

Those weren't my video's I mainly linked them because they are some of the only video's about KSPI from this year. Obviously scott manley's interstellar quest is way better but it's also very outdated. The main reason I linked it was as a reference that someone else is running into similar problems. 

Since posting yesterday I've been playing around more with the reactors in a new career mode (with liberal science cheats) and hyper editing them into orbit to test things. I'm confident that at least for me the upgrade system isn't working at all. Do you know of any other mods that conflict with KSPI's ability to upgrade as nodes are unlocked? I am using the CTT and installing everything through CKAN so I know MM is up to date as well. So absolutely part of my problems that the reactors are under powered stems from radiators and reactors not getting any improvements... everything is mk1 which makes everything feel unreasonably weak in comparison to beamed solar power.

I'm still going to stand by my opinion that from a purely game play perspective that all of the reactors are horribly over priced. I suppose it makes a little sense to build things in orbit ( I haven't tried doing that yet) but then really all that tells me is that the low cost to build things in orbit is over powered. IRL the cost benefit to building something in situ is the savings on the launch. You still need the materials. So just because Kerbals don't have an economic model for the man hours and materials costs needed to mine and manufacture in space doesn't justify the horrible costs of the reactors.

To me it kind of feels like you've tried to extrapolate the real world costs of a fictional tech and slap it into a fictional game, but you've ignored the game's costs for everything else. For the game effects reactors give the costs just aren't balanced against other kerbal engines.

But back to the actual engines. I was able to get an antimatter reactor a little fuel and a magnetic nozzle up into space and get everything working. With no payload and a tiny fuel tank,95% of the crafts mass was just the reactor and engine, I was able to get 100k+ delta v (which is nuts!) but sub .01 TWR it was going to take a 2 DAY long burn jut to get from LKO to solar orbit. Is that WAD? Did I do something wrong? If that's WAD then it's poor design, it might be realistic but it's not fun and anything that needs that long of a burn is functionally worthless from a game play perspective. If I did something wrong it highlights how poor the documentation and tutorials are.

Lastly on documentation, I understand the design choice for creating the new resource megajoules. It makes alot of sense because of the huge powers we're dealing with and it's great design that it stops your engines and transmitters from draining your batteries dry. (although that does still sometimes happen and I have to energy cheat to fix things) But I don't understand the design choice for having reactors produce Giga Watts of power and then have generators turn that power into mega Joules, not do I understand the extra part of the generator to begin with. You've added 2 extra completely unnecessary parts (the generators) without adding any meaningful choices to players. the generators always need to be attached to get power and they always need to be the same size or things seem to break. So if there is no choice in having them they should just be included by default and build straight into the part. At best these parts create unnecessary complexity without adding game play depth. At worst they are one more point of failure either in bugs or players ability to understand the mod. To compound this it makes designing reactors in the VAB very difficult. If I want to generate and beam 50 mega joules of power with solar I know that I will need 50,000 e/c that's easy to plan for. But If I want to accomplish the same thing with reactors I have no clue how many Gigawatts of reactor power I need and can't really find a way to figure it out without slapping something together and then doing a test launch. And of course this gets further compounded when we move away from power generation into nozzles. The nozzles themselves show an ISP and thrust. but that documented ISP and thrust is no where near close to actual performance once the rocket is launched.

oh one other thing in the WarpPluginSettings.cfg file did you realize that thrust is misspelled as trust? and does that matter?

GlobalThermalNozzlePowerMaxTrustMult = 1
    GlobalMagneticNozzlePowerMaxTrustMult = 1
    GlobalElectricEnginePowerMaxTrustMult = 1
    MaxAtmosphericAltitudeMult = 3.61912
    MinAtmosphericAirDensity = 0.000001
    ElectricEnginePowerPropellantIspMultLimiter = 1
    ElectricEngineAtmosphericDensityTrustLimiter = 0

hmm I just went back and reread that I genuinely hope that doesn't sound like a rant, I genuinely enjoy the concept of this mod and really would like to help make it better if all of my problems stem from not knowing how the game mechanics work so be it help me figure it out and assist with getting some better documentation/tutorials. If there are minor game-play balance issues I can assist with I'd love to help on that end as well.

Alright, regarding the cost of the engines/reactor I open to suggestions. You say that reactor are too expansive I think I can relate to that, exactly which one are you referring to, there are a lot.

Currently I have given incrementing cost depending on technology and power, I might have gone too far with them.

Edited by FreeThinker

Let's ignore the cost issue for the time being, as I'm not familiar enough with what stock interstellar is designed/should feal like. I don't have hard numbers or justifications for those numbers only a gut feeling and game design sense that they are too high. And likely too high by a factor between 2x and 10x, especially once you factor in the costs of the exotic fuels. 

I guess the question I would pose to you is for power production measured in transmitted megajoules, should reactors be more expensive and more powerful than solar panels in low solar orbit or less so, or some combination?

As it stands right now they are orders of magnitude more expensive and orders of magnitude less powerful and heavier. Is that your design intention? Basically what I'm asking is are you familiar with the concept of a power curve in game design, think of the 2/3 creature for 2 mana in either hearthstone or magic. That's considered to be on curve. Either low orbit solar SATs with beamed power are way over the curve or reactors are way under the curve. But it's your design I don't know where you intend that curve to be.

But until I get things working as designed on a thrust and ISP standpoint then there's no point trying to balance the cost. I'm about to copy over my whole file and start over with a clean install with no mods but KSPIe. I've been playing with this all afternoon and I know for a fact ive got some weird bugs. I've already had to uninstall FAR as it's giving me phantom forces when ever I open up cargo bays, background processes had to go as it was giveing me NaN viruses once I got out of kerbal's SOI and I'm thinking I may need to uninstall MechJeb as I'm pretty sure it's also giveing me NaN errors on flight recorders. I'm also getting negative masses on parts when I tweakscale them larger so I'm pretty sure there's a bad interaction there somewhere and the electric generators go from 6 tons to some insane values when I place them. And like I said I know for a fact I'm not seeing any benefits from tech upgrades everything is at mk1 performance. So I don;t know if these bugs are KSPIe's fault or some other bad interaction with other mods.

And really man I don't want to tell you what I think the values should be this is your baby and I have a huge amount of respect for the enormous amount of work that has gone into it, I've barely begun to dive into these figures and start figuring out what certain values in the mod do. But if you haven't had time to test and balance and you want feed back I think I can help, first off though I do kinda need to under stand you vision of how you feel it should be balanced. Do you haev a design doc or have you thought of a power curve that parts should be balanced against?

Edited by Sresk

OK I can confirm I was getting a bad mod interaction. Reinstalled with only the bare minimum of mods to make KSPI run plus Eve and Kerbal engineer. I'm getting totally different values and effects and upgrades appear to be working. so put on hold any complaints I may have had... let me see if I can figure out what's breaking what.

To save me some time does anyone know are the following compatible? :

Community tech tree - Check

!!! Near future - something in here is breaking the whole thing I'm not sure if it's just NF electrical, NF propulsion or anything named near future. This is way none of the game balance made sense to me . And just removing the mod didn't fix the problem had to completly wipe the folder and start over with a fresh install. !!!

B9

Smurf - with real fuels from RO don;t want to install both, pretty sure they conflict

UkS/usi life support- Tested this works fine

Realism Over hual and all the associated mods seem to work fine (real fuels is the one that has me the most worried going to double check that but so far so good)

Kerbal Engineer - Check

FAR - not sure yet used to get some wierd phantom forces going to double check this one

Edited by Sresk

3 hours ago, Sresk said:

-snip-

Far works fine with KSPIE. You just need to care with radial radiators, a bad positioning can cause some phantom forces.

With Near Future Installed all the reactors are buffed by a great factor to keep the two mods balanced.

If you have Realism Overhaul you can't install SMURFF too, they'll conflict.

9 hours ago, Sresk said:

!!! Near future - something in here is breaking the whole thing I'm not sure if it's just NF electrical, NF propulsion or anything named near future. This is way none of the game balance made sense to me . And just removing the mod didn't fix the problem had to completly wipe the folder and start over with a fresh install. !!!

Note that KSPI-E has a feature  called NearFuture compatibility mode which will lower all power output and consumption  by a factor of 1/20 or more . This is implemented with Module Manager. The aim of this alteration is to make them work together better while maintaining the same gameplay. It used to work well, but new updated version might have broken gameplay. Could you please be more descriptive in exactly what is broken when NF Electrics is installed?

14 hours ago, Sresk said:

Lastly on documentation, I understand the design choice for creating the new resource megajoules. It makes alot of sense because of the huge powers we're dealing with and it's great design that it stops your engines and transmitters from draining your batteries dry. (although that does still sometimes happen and I have to energy cheat to fix things) But I don't understand the design choice for having reactors produce Giga Watts of power and then have generators turn that power into mega Joules, not do I understand the extra part of the generator to begin with. You've added 2 extra completely unnecessary parts (the generators) without adding any meaningful choices to players. the generators always need to be attached to get power and they always need to be the same size or things seem to break.

The Gigawatts you see on the reactor is just a representation of power output, The unit of work are ThermalHeat, , Charged Particles, Megajoules and Wasteheat.

The generator are not mandatory, they are optional. You only need them if you desire to produce large amount of electric power for electric propulsion or beamed power, otherwise if you only want to use it for direct thermal propulsion, you don't need any generator.. Note the reactor  themselves also produce some Electric Charge but it will be insufficient to run any KSPI Electric Engine

Edited by FreeThinker

9 hours ago, Sresk said:

Let's ignore the cost issue for the time being, as I'm not familiar enough with what stock interstellar is designed/should feal like. I don't have hard numbers or justifications for those numbers only a gut feeling and game design sense that they are too high. And likely too high by a factor between 2x and 10x, especially once you factor in the costs of the exotic fuels.

The Exotic fuels (LqdHelium3 and LqdTritium) are scheduled to be reduced by 90%. I will also make the advanced reactors less expansive (especially the Antimatter reactor, which is reduced to 1 million instead of 3 million). See the Reactor table for details.

Edited by FreeThinker

Decreasing cost of antimatter reactor is bad idea because ships using antimatter are generally good enough to come back and refund its cost or they are core power generation units of beaming power stations.  It is not supposed to be 1 time expense.

I just reinstalled KSPI to notice the radiators have been changed. Is it possible to get the old trapezoidal folding radiators to work again somehow? I downloaded the 1.0.5 version but the animation no longer works in 1.1.3. These things looked awesome for sci-fi builds.

kspi_radiators.jpg

kspi_radiators2.jpg

Edited by Jimbodiah

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Note that KSPI-E has a feature  called NearFuture compatibility mode which will lower all power output and consumption  by a factor of 1/20 or more . This is implemented with Module Manager. The aim of this alteration is to make them work together better while maintaining the same gameplay. It used to work well, but new updated version might have broken gameplay. Could you please be more descriptive in exactly what is broken when NF Electrics is installed?

The Gigawatts you see on the reactor is just a representation of power output, The unit of work are ThermalHeat, , Charged Particles, Megajoules and Wasteheat.

The generator are not mandatory, they are optional. You only need them if you desire to produce large amount of electric power for electric propulsion or beamed power, otherwise if you only want to use it for direct thermal propulsion, you don't need any generator.. Note the reactor  themselves also produce some Electric Charge but it will be insufficient to run any KSPI Electric Engine

well a factor of 1/20 sounds about right but honestly it may be closer to 1/100 from what I was experiancing! And the difference of the Mega watts of power vs Mega joules of power that was so confusing also makes sense! Its why I felt that solar power was stronger by an order of magnitude than generator power. It's because generator power was being nerfed by an order of magnitude :) 

So I'm not sure if it's all of the Near future mods or just near future electrical but at least with that one, the power out put that was available to be beamed wit the molten salt mk1 was only like 3 or 4 megajoules, where's now I'm seeing it's 444 mw? And then of course there was the problem that was cuaseing none of the upgrades to work.

So again since I was clearly playing with a broken install please let me table this for a week or two and play through with a working install. I absolutely still feel there is room for improvement from a career perspective especially in the area of costs but give me a little time to taste it the right way :)

Edited by Sresk

12 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Far works fine with KSPIE. You just need to care with radial radiators, a bad positioning can cause some phantom forces.

With Near Future Installed all the reactors are buffed by a great factor to keep the two mods balanced.

I've opted against realism overhaul and I'm going without smurf too as it does weird things to tanks with hydrogen. And I'm not sure what it is but FAR cuases phantom forces when I open cargo bays so as much as I love that mod I'm steering away from it.

12 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

I've opted against realism overhaul and I'm going without smurf too as it does weird things to tanks with hydrogen. And I'm not sure what it is but FAR cuases phantom forces when I open cargo bays so as much as I love that mod I'm steering away from it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.