KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

[h=2]Version 1.3.4 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4[/h] Released on 2015-08-01

• Reactor are now affected by Neutron Embrittlement which is governed by the energetic value of neutrons creating during a fusion/fission reaction
  • Fusion Mode can not be changed and preset in the VAB
  • When switch fusion mode, it will skip modes which you don't have the fuel for
  • Added proton-Boron Fusion mode which is Aneutronic (and will not cause Neutron Embrittlement of the reactor
  • Added new resource Hexaborane, which acts as the Fuel for proton-Boron Fusion.
  • Increased cost Helium3 by 2.5x which makes it about 10 times more expansive as Hexaborane
  • Added support for RSS

@TheJewelOfJool - Should still be one. I still see it in the engines folder. TechRequired = cuttingEdgeSolarTech in its config if you haven't yet gotten that far in career. It looks rather a lot like a large cylinder in the parts list (actually quite a bit like the closed up soil moisture scanner from UKS) a large-ish 1.25 meter cylindrical object.

Version 1.3.4 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-08-01

• Reactor are now affected by Neutron Embrittlement which is governed by the energetic value of neutrons creating during a fusion/fission reaction

Erm, any chance of an explanation? Sounds kinda bad to me... :-)

Reactors lose power power time. When D-T fusion runs under full power, it became useless in less than one day.

Thermal engines on hydrazine have humongous 5 digit DV. Thrust is so high, that I could add 4x more fuel.

a3aVrdJ.jpg

Here is a usefull introduction:

While human beings and other living things suffer harm from nuclear radiation, inanimate objects are not fond of it either. Neutron Activation happens when an ordinary harmless atomic nucleus swallows a neutron from the radiation flux of, say, a nuclear thermal propulsion system. This changes the nucleus from a stable isotope into an unstable isotope, and all unstable isotopes are radioactive. Or the neutron can actually split the atom, with much the same results but now including bonus fission fragments and neutrons in the induced radioactivity.

Translation: the steel girders and everything else too close to the reactor will eventually become radioactive in and of themselves. Your nuclear engine will gradually turn into low-level radioactive waste. This makes it treacherous for the crew to leave the spacecraft, and drastically lowers the re-sale value. This is a good reason to make your spacecraft modular, so you can detach the nuclear engine and swap it for one that doesn't glow in the dark.

There is a nice list of common elements that can be transmuted into radioactive isotopes here, along with the half-life of said radionuclides.

Neutron activation is a good thing in a breeder reactor or a medical isotope generator, but very bad anywhere else. Heavy neutron radiation is usually never found naturally, it is found unnaturally in nuclear reactors, nuclear explosions and other artificial things made by intelligent creatures.

Neutron radiation can make some materials become brittle by neutron-induced swelling and buildup of Wigner energy. Neutrons striking metal gradually damage the metal's crystal lattice. This makes the metal more brittle and can eventually lead to failure. Steel has a so-called "ductile-to-brittle transition temperature", a temperature below which it becomes brittle. Neutron bombardment raises this temperature.

The brittleness can be healed by heating the material, this is called annealing. It might be possible to construct a reactor capable of annealing its structural members in place instead of removing it first. But of course you have to be very careful. You will be in for some real excitement if you accidentally catch the nuclear engine on fire.

In game therms it means the reactor will gradual lose maximum power and core temperature. It should be the incentive to use Aneutronic fuel modes which do not create excessive amounts of neutron radiation.

- - - Updated - - -

Reactors lose power power time. When D-T fusion runs under full power, it became useless in less than one day.

After one day? How long and at what power level did you use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thermal engines on hydrazine have humongous 5 digit DV. Thrust is so high, that I could add 4x more fuel.

http://i.imgur.com/a3aVrdJ.jpg

Yes, antimatter is realy powerful, especially in combination with hydrazine which gives addition thrust. The problem is that antimatter fuel is only 22% efficient in converting it's power into useful power. The rest, 87% is converted into deadly x-rays and gamma radiation. In order to allow the crew to survive, a significant portion of this energy needs to be converted into waste-heat. Currently we pretend it doesn't exist. :sticktongue:

Edited by FreeThinker

Here is a usefull introduction:

In game therms it means the reactor will gradual lose maximum power and core temperature. It should be the incentive to use Aneutronic fuel modes which do not create excessive amounts of neutron radiation.

- - - Updated - - -

After one day? How long and at what power level did you use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, antimatter is realy powerful, especially in combination with hydrazine which gives addition thrust. The problem is that antimatter fuel is only 22% efficient in converting it's power into useful power. The rest, 87% is converted into deadly x-rays and gamma radiation. In order to allow the crew to survive, a significant portion of this energy needs to be converted into waste-heat. Currently we pretend it doesn't exist. :sticktongue:

I ran at 100% as test for ingame day.

---

Are there better options to create more thermal energy? Like certian modes of fusion?

Or this is as good as you can get?

I ran at 100% as test for ingame day.

---

Are there better options to create more thermal energy? Like certian modes of fusion?

Or this is as good as you can get?

Well D-He creates about the same amount of overall power and produces only 5% of the neutron radiation of D-T fusion.

Also what exacly constitute useless for you?

Well D-He creates about the same amount of overall power and produces only 5% of the neutron radiation of D-T fusion.

Also what exacly constitute useless for you?

Hmm I tested it with D-T Fusion - or it was other fusion mode. And where I said that something was useless to me?

BTW it looks like thermal engine uses total power produced by reactors, not just thermal energy :P

When D-T fusion runs under full power, it became useless in less than one day.

I guess you mean 24 hours because According to my test, 1 day (6 hours at 100%, maximum upgraded) would increase embitterment to about 30%. But Perhaps this is too hard

Edited by FreeThinker

I guess you mean 24 hours because According to my test, 1 day (6 hours at 100%, maximum upgraded) would increase embitterment to about 30%. But Perhaps this is too hard

Yep. I use RSS, so 1 day is 24 hours unlike kerbin 6 hours.

[h=2]Version 1.3.5 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4[/h] Released on 2015-08-02

• Added Radiator Folding Automation which will automatically folds and unfold when possible
  • Kspi folding radiator uses black texture
  • Kspi folding radiator available earlier at a smaller size and radiator tech unlocks larger sizes
  • Kspi folding radiator mass growth factor decreased to 2.15 from 2.5
  • Wasteheat storage reactor scales with timewarp
  • Decrease neutron Embrittlement by factor of 100
  • Improved calculation required radiator capacity thermal helper

Edited by FreeThinker

I have noticed something odd, the dry mass of the large spherical KSPI fuel tank appears to be less when set to LH2 than when set to contain anything else.

is this intentional?

Seeing as the tanks are switchable in flight it seems like dry mass should be consistent whatever they are set to contain.

I dunno if the same is true of the other tanks, or the exact circumstances under which I noted it, will do some testing / take some screenies next time I boot up KSP.

I have noticed something odd, the dry mass of the large spherical KSPI fuel tank appears to be less when set to LH2 than when set to contain anything else.

is this intentional?

Yes this is intentional. The sperical tasks actualy have the best drymass/wetass ratio of 1/8 for Hydrogen . Inline tanks have a dry/wet mass ratio of 1/4 for hydrogen. The reason is that stack tanks need to be a lot stronger to carry the mass above it, radialy attached tanks onlyy have to carry them selves and it's content. Also note a spere is te strongest shape to store any lightly presurised liquid/gas, therefore it is also the lightests.

The disadvantage is that these tanks drage your rocket down and will even fail at heavy stress.

THe radionale for the lower dry tank mass for hydrogen in general despite the ability to switchi is that most structural stress occurs durring lauch. Once in space, it realy doesn't need to be as strong anymore and just need to be strong enough to hold itself together. Therefore filling Tanks which was originally intended for hydrogen with heavier substances like for example Nitrogen, should not be a significant problem.

Edited by FreeThinker

THe radionale for the lower dry tank mass for hydrogen in general despite the ability to switchi is that most structural stress occurs durring lauch. Once in space, it realy doesn't need to be as strong anymore and just need to be strong enough to hold itself together. Therefore filling Tanks which was originally intended for hydrogen with heavier substances like for example Nitrogen, should not be a significant problem.

Ok, I understand the logic.

Is a strategy of "Launch empty set to LH2 to save on mass then later switch to something else" an exploit or merely good planning?

Somewhat depends on the situation does it not? If you're final destination for the tanks is vacuum then fine I guess. . . . if landed on Eve I'd imagine they'd need the strength!

Does the dry mass change when you switch later? I'd guess not. . . . that would be weird.

For most of the time, it's a matter of good planning. There are a lot worse kind of exploits

- - - Updated - - -

Does the dry mass change when you switch later? I'd guess not. . . . that would be weird.

No, it stays the same. It would be realy weird is the tank would suddenly lose or gain mass when switching. Now that be true easy exploit if I allowed that. A possible sollution to this problem might be to make the lighter Hydrogen tank less structuraly sound, meaning, if you put too much stress on it, it will disintegrate on itself.

The switching itself is currenly done at the click of a button. Perhaps it's an idea to require a Engeneer on EVA, he might also be able to make the tank lighter/stronger.

Edited by FreeThinker

Intresting idea. Exacly how would you like this implemented?

I mean in your main post, where is list of fuels.

BTW Vasmir engines are EPIC (at least when ran on Hydrazine, didn't test other fuels for Vasmir) :D

It seems like it has 2 or 3 modes:

At 0 - 10% throttle they are as efficient as they can be, and above 60% or 70% they start to rapidly lose ISP for thrust.

My spaceship is getting 1.1 G acceleration on 10% of throttle which is nice and at 100% it accelerates at 6 G.

Here's my test:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Looks like thermal engines have higher ISP for hydrazine than plasma engines :P.

This is actualy possible if the core temperature is very high. Note that in the themral nozlle, Hydrazine effectively increases it's Isp due to higher thrust. The Plasma Thruster does not gain this advantage. Vasmir on the other hand, does favor from the thrust bonus and therefore gains both higher thrust and Isp.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Vasmir engines are EPIC (at least when ran on Hydrazine, didn't test other fuels for Vasmir) :D

It seems like it has 2 or 3 modes:

At 0 - 10% throttle they are as efficient as they can be, and above 60% or 70% they start to rapidly lose ISP for thrust.

My spaceship is getting 1.1 G acceleration on 10% of throttle which is nice and at 100% it accelerates at 6 G.

Here's my test:

http://imgur.com/a/JldHN

Yes, this is exacly as intended. It offers superiour variable thrust at the expense of efficency . At max Thrust, it's only 30% efficent. The Atilla Thruster witch has the same Isp as the VASIMR at full thrust has an efficiency of 87%. Since it also heats up the propelant, it gans about 2.5x trust compaired to the VASIMR

Edited by FreeThinker

So spent a few days getting some nice shots of Endurance mk2, hope you like it. Currently refueling in a 200km orbit of Jool... not really sure how effective/long that will take. It's quite ironic that this mk2 has beaten the mk1 to Jool even though it visited Eve first. Used a whole lot more fuel though.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I almost have flags on all of the basic KSP bodies, then it's onto the outer planets mod.

Currently refueling in a 200km orbit of Jool... not really sure how effective/long that will take.

This plan looks like a bust, after 25+ days time warping back at the space center I switched back to the Endurance and it has no more Hydrogen than it started with. Seems the atmo scoop doesn't work unless you have focus, but at 200km orbit I cannot warp more than 100x so that will take a long time at 4/s to refill 260,000 H. (1000+ minutes real time)

Is it supposed to work when time warping without focus? The AM collectors do, and I have 5g of AM now.

This is pretty disastrous for me TBH. I can always calculate what I should get and edit the save file I suppose. :-)

Edited by Hazelnut

This plan looks like a bust, after 25+ days time warping back at the space center I switched back to the Endurance and it has no more Hydrogen than it started with. Seems the atmo scoop doesn't work unless you have focus, but at 200km orbit I cannot warp more than 100x so that will take a long time at 4/s to refill 260,000 H. (1000+ minutes real time)

Actualy it should work but it needs to have a plasma thruster on the onboard. THe reason is that you need it keep in orbit, otherwise the drag would eventualy lower your orbit. The intention is that it will load all scooped resources the moment you switch back to the vessel. You should have made a little test at Kerbin first

Edited by FreeThinker

How to use warp drives properly? I warped to Venus that was on almost opposite side of solar system and I need to slow down from 50000 km/s somehow.... ship is too wobbly (its actually 2 ships docked to each other - 2000 ton interplanetary tug and 200 ton lander) to warp at 4x and I'm getting 11 FPS and 1/2 of normal speed with only ~150 parts... I would to have wait like 30 minutes of slowing down.

Heres my spaceships:

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/ksQ5LR6y/file.html (Big tug ship, needs USI Freight Transport reaction wheel)

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/08v8fRzO/file.html (Lander, its much smaller, no other mods required)

Sorry for zippy - don't know other file unloaders, that don't need registration.

Edited by raxo2222

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.