KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

[h=2]Version 1.5.5 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4[/h] Released on 2015-09-19

• Fixes a black screen after loading Nuclear Ramjet with FAR installed

- - - Updated - - -

I use CKAN to manage my KSP Mods and it's getting a download error for KSP Interstellar Extended as it's trying to download version 1.5.3 from KerbalStuff and not finding the previous version.

mmm, I was not aware that removing a version could cause this problem. I did it often in the past so why would it suddenly be a problem, I guess the problem will correct itself automatically after it updates itself

This is as intended. LFO is now reserved for only the NERVA/LATERN engine and Thermal Nozzle. In the past the Thermal Turbojet could do everything the Thermal nozzle could but more. Now the Thermal nozzle can do something the thermal turbojet cannot imitate. This creates some interesting design choices. Go for the flexibility of the thermal turbojet which is powerful in the lower atmosphere, or for the raw power of the Thermal nozzle with it's powerfull LFO modes.

Btw, has anyone played around yet with the new NERVA / LATERN engine? My intention is to give the player a choice during his KSPI career, to go for the quick win with propulsion technology which offers useful nuclear engines or choose the longer nuclear energy path, which will eventually result in much more powerful and versatile engines.

The Nuclear propulsion research path now offers 3 different engine, Nuclear Ramjet which allows you to around Kerbin for Months, NERVA / LATERN engine which can be used for getting into orbit with afterburner and travel to the moon in NERVA mode. And finally the Nuclear Light Bulb which can be used as an upper stage and is efficient enough to travel to nearby planets. Of course all of this can be done with chemical or electric engines, but not as easy.

Edited by FreeThinker

A message appears saying:

"Switching Propellent, Missing Resource LqdHydrogen"

When I click the blue buttons to try and switch the resource back to hydrazine, nothing happens

This is my test setup in the VAB: http://imgur.com/AgAWz5P

I am using the latest version of the mod, obtained by CKAN, career mode.

EDIT: PROPELLANT MODES ARE NOW UNLOCKABLE PLEASE PUT THIS INFORMATION ON THE FRONT PAGE

Thanks! Great mod.

- - - Updated - - -

The Nuclear propulsion research path now offers 3 different engine, Nuclear Ramjet which allows you to around Kerbin for Months, NERVA / LATERN engine which can be used for getting into orbit with afterburner and travel to the moon in NERVA mode. And finally the Nuclear Light Bulb which can be used as an upper stage and is efficient enough to travel to nearby planets. Of course all of this can be done with chemical or electric engines, but not as easy.

I agree with the approach. Having some more advanced, but simple engines makes the learning/career curve less steep. I am playing a career game now where I am comparing the LATERN vs. a basic thermal setup, but the thermal is causing me problems (see prior post).

Edited by herman

In career game there a technology steps for FuelModes now.

Yep, KSPI-E technology is now made available earlier but in a limited way. This is good both from a realism point of view as well as a gameplay point of view. Most early nuclear propulsion focuses on the usage of Hydrogen as a propellant because it offers the highest Isp. However this comes at the cost of storage difficulties. Hydrolox and other single atom propellant requires some advancement in nuclear propulsion and are therefore unlocked with improved nuclear propulsion. The high performance propellants Ammonia, Hydrazine and Methane requires even advanced propulsion adaptations and are therefore are made available after unlocking efficient nuclear propulsion.

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm getting errors. KSPI-E 1.5.5, "Exception caught adding to: {Lists all intake parts} part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at FNPluginHelper.Update()[0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0"

"[Error]: Cannot find Module 'ModuleResourceIntake' (-859566458)"

alright, seems its a conflict with the Advanced Jet Engine mod.

edit -------------------

response from Blowfish

" Tell them this: if they try to find intake modules by name, they're not going to find AJE intakes properly. They need to use FindModulesImplementing<ModuleResourceIntake> or similar."

Edited by Ford6

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="vQN8B"><a href="//imgur.com/vQN8B">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Someone please tech me how to post an album

icffsrG.png

- - - Updated - - -

After switching to propellant:

WCcYIBe.png

Edited by FreeThinker

Beautiful! What is that GUI in the right corner?

It's an improvement, but how to make it bigger?

Right corner? I guess you mean left corner. It's the onscreen Joystick. It's idea for controlling Jetplanes at high speed

Btw, how are those graphics going, I would like to improve FX in the next patch

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, good to know, can you take it out of the list at the SPH/VAB, too.

Good Idea, I will include it in the next release

Edited by FreeThinker

Guys I'm at a loss here, back in 0.90 I used almost exclusively the Thermal Rocket and Thermal Turbojet engines in combination with antimatter / antimatter reactor and LFO tanks and they pretty much took me anywhere I wanted, now with KSPI 1.5.5 I can't seem to get either of those engines to work.

The following setup always used to work with the Thermal Rocket/Jet engines now it just doesn't, any ideas would be very much appreciated, am I missing something?

The engine only produces 35kN at full throttle? That can't be right.

In this test rig I have a filled antimatter containment device, an antimatter reactor, the rocket stuck to that reactor, an electric generator, an LFO tank and a heat dissipator, everything is active and working, yet next to no thrust.

2015-09-21_18-23-53.jpg

I can't reproduce your problem. Pleace check your log

Something is not well in your installation. Notice the containment information is empty and Temperature, Isp/THrust multiplier isn't shown

PLease make a fresh install

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed, however Im not sure why but that doesn't happen! Is it possible some other addon breaks Interstellar?

Possible, I would very much like to know who is responsible for this terror

Possible, I would very much like to know who is responsible for this terror

Preliminary tests indicate that something from the B9 aerospace package (5.2.8) borks Interstellar, I will try to narrow it down to which part of B9 breaks it.

So after a while of testing, I have isolated which plugin breaks Intertellar.

It is the SmokeScreen [link] pluggin. I double tested it with and without it, it definitely breaks Interstellar

Again this plugin is included in the B9 aerospace pack, for anyone having the same issues as me, remove it :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.