FreeThinker

[1.7.3/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5/1.3.1] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.22.8 Continued Development Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, flyguybc said:

Anyone got any tips for the above?

Questions should be asked in the KSPIE support thread but I will give you a few useful tips:

1 Regarding usage of multiple nozzles, its important to match the cumulative surface area of the diameters the nozzles with the reactor. Lets say you have a 1.25 PubbleBed reactor connected to a Thermal Ramjet. To connect it turbojet as well the diamters of the turbojet would idealy be    sqrt(1.25 * 1.25 / 2) = 0.88 m

2: When powering a targed fusion reactor, you need an external power source, or it needs to power itself by connecting it with a power generator. But a power generator will by have the capacity to convert all thermal power into electric power, but you only need a fraction of that to keep the reactor for beeinged power. In the VAB there is an option to lower the capacity of the generator, this will reduce the mass of the power generator to a significantly.

3: The thermal power helper only shows the worst conditions where you want convert all thermal energy into electric power. In that case you need a lot of radiators but for a SSTO you are generally only interested in keeping it passive heat production under control as the majority of the wasteheat is absorbed by the open cycle cooling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response! I'll move this questioning in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi first i have to say i love this mod. but resantly i have a problem i have a relly old save game from the time were thermal jet nosals can use Liquid flue so all my supply and crafts are set up. Because the new nosel cant use LF i coppyt a old save of this engin in but by exigently i deleted that. so is it possibl to reintroduce this fule tipe so that my 1000 h save file is not totaly broken ;.;.

Sorry for spelling and grama and errors :confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, Xeriastis said:

hi first i have to say i love this mod. but resantly i have a problem i have a relly old save game from the time were thermal jet nosals can use Liquid flue so all my supply and crafts are set up. Because the new nosel cant use LF i coppyt a old save of this engin in but by exigently i deleted that. so is it possibl to reintroduce this fule tipe so that my 1000 h save file is not totaly broken ;.;.

Sorry for spelling and grama and errors :confused:

Yes you can :cool:

open the part file that contains your thermal nozzle and look for ThermalNozzleController and change or add supportedPropellantAtoms = 511. That way it will support all propellants again.

Good luck.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Next release will add a patch to integrate spacekiss nuclear lightbulbs into KSPIE

uxa4oZx.jpg

This particular lightbulb differs from the regular lightbulb by its ability to run LFO mode

ziu2QAy.jpg

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any update on the network relay fix? I was trying to make a Dyson Beam network by reflecting a few dozen solar sails from low solar orbit and the beams into one ultraviolet spot size. With out reflecting and beam merging the beams are very weak because they aren't merging.  I could try figure out a work around by having several "collectors" that receive then transmit the energy, but the resultant power loss from the conversion compared to simple reflection might make the point moot.

My plan was to allow power in the outer-planets without having to haul large reactors. It also is basically maintenance free compared to my current mess of orbital power stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 7:15 PM, TheRag said:

Any update on the network relay fix? I was trying to make a Dyson Beam network by reflecting a few dozen solar sails from low solar orbit and the beams into one ultraviolet spot size. With out reflecting and beam merging the beams are very weak because they aren't merging.  I could try figure out a work around by having several "collectors" that receive then transmit the energy, but the resultant power loss from the conversion compared to simple reflection might make the point moot.

My plan was to allow power in the outer-planets without having to haul large reactors. It also is basically maintenance free compared to my current mess of orbital power stations.

Not yet, but the lossless transmission is kind of crazy as the maximum theoretical power transmission efficiency is about 85% using reflection (except when really close). For now, I suggest you build a beamed power network with separate receiver and transmitter.  You will lose a lot of power but this is more than compensated by the fact that you can use more than one relay station. Also note you can limit the loses by using big rectenna panel receivers or mega microwave dish receivers.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Not yet, but the lossless transmission is kind of crazy as the maximum theoretical power transmission efficiency is about 85% using reflection (except when really close). For now, I suggest you build a beamed power network a separate receiver and transmitter.  You will lose a lot of power but this is more than compensated by the fact that you can use more than one relay station. Also note you can limit the loses by using big rectenna panel receivers or mega microwave dish receivers.

So basically the idea will be this?

Low solar collectors will transmit to a local receiver on a lower but more efficient wavelength. I am assuming that there is a good ratio I want to target 10 to 1 or 20 to 1? Those receivers then transmit the combined power yield on large-dish ultraviolet transmitters to where ever needed.

My goal is to have 1-5 Gigawatts available with the range of Neidon for 99% of its orbit through beamed power (might need to use an X-Ray Transmitter and Receiver at Dres).

Assuming that my solar stations can generate 10 Gigawatts that mean 100 gigawatts per receiver station. I forget the conversion ratio of microwave transmitters so I go with a conservative 65%. Then assuming I get 50% due to the spot sizes of microwaves, then 35% to transmit the power into 10nm ultraviolet wavelength. So the wall to beam should be around 11 Gigawatts.

With Neidon having a semi-major axis 409,355,191,706m and using a 30 meter dish on a 10nm wavelength using the formula on the kspie wiki:

1.44*409355191706*0.00000001/30

This gives a spot size of around 200 meters. Which means the craft will have to capture 9% to 46% of the wavelength in order to meet satisfaction.

Is there anything wrong with this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tremendous admiration for KSPI Extended, and I really like using it. I especially appreciate all the different models, the sheer diversity, and the modular reactor + nozzle + generator scheme. 

 

However, sometimes one just wants to fly around in Heinleinan / The-Expanse-ish torchships. So I begin to wonder about a "KSPI Lite" edit -- based on my limited knowledge I think this could be done only with cfg file edits... or Modulemanager patch?

 

I went digging through my cfg files trying to figure out what one would push and pull at to achieve something like this , but I have not gotten very far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, kraza said:

However, sometimes one just wants to fly around in Heinleinan / The-Expanse-ish torchships. So I begin to wonder about a "KSPI Lite" edit -- based on my limited knowledge I think this could be done only with cfg file edits... or Modulemanager patch?

Module Manager would be the way to go yes. A good way would be to create a new part base on an exiting part using +PART[partname]{}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

            

title = #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope_title // #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope_title = Launch a new Triple-Z Radio Astronomy Telescope into LKO
            notes = #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope_notes // #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope_notes = The research facility must include the Triple-Z Telescope, 1 Docking Port, a science lab and an energy source.  This can be done in one launch, or multiple launches.
            title = #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope2_title // #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope2_title = Launch a new Triple-Z Radio Astronomy Telescope into Mun Orbit
            notes = #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope_notes // #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope_notes = The research facility must include the Triple-Z Telescope, 1 Docking Port, a science lab and an energy source.  This can be done in one launch, or multiple launches.

the beamed power phased array phased array1 munseeker_zzz_radiotelescope_contracts.cfg is asking for parts that dont exist. 

warpplugin\localization\parts\en-us.cfg

#LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope_title = Launch a new Triple-Z Radio Astronomy Telescope into LKO
        #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope2_title = Launch a new Triple-Z Radio Astronomy Telescope into Mun Orbit
        #LOC_KSPIE_CONTRACT_TYPE_NewTelescope_notes = The research facility must include the Triple-Z Telescope, 1 Docking Port, a science lab and an energy source.  This can be done in one launch, or multiple launches.
        

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I've really enjoyed playing this mod.  I've been 3D modeling for over a decade.  Please message me on discord (Some_stranger#5241) so we can discuss improving the quality of some of your models and textures so they are up to par with the code and gameplay. :)

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the magnetized target reactor has a description saying it's great for SSTO's, can we get a version that actually fits on a plane?  (ie. shrunk down a bit and stuffed inside a fuselage section)  It's current aerodynamics are not great to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 2:27 AM, Thorbane said:

As the magnetized target reactor has a description saying it's great for SSTO's, can we get a version that actually fits on a plane?  (ie. shrunk down a bit and stuffed inside a fuselage section)  It's current aerodynamics are not great to say the least.

You mean this one?

iRSGufh.jpg

This part is actually really aerodynamic where the bumps act like holes in an aerodynamic golf ball.

No realy, KSP does not see it, only your eyes see. I'm myself cannot fix it, only @Eleusis La Arwall Can.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Why was the Tritium tank removed from the MIF engine?  Suddenly many of my designs need an extra tank added before I launch them again.

Also the KJR version bundled with the mod is likely to break things for people running Infernal Robotics Next.  It is not compatible.

Edited by Thorbane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Next release will add the Particle Wakefield Particle Accelerator which also serves as a hamster wheel for Kerbals to keep in good shape

ShSjsFt.png

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've been trying to find a solution in the source code on fixing the network relay. On the the Github there was an issue filed on January 20 for the same problem, which referenced 1.20.5

I believe it might be related to changing the reference from relay.Vessel to relay.position. In which case the beamed power is sending to a position not a vessel, and in turn is not being received by a vessel. I will try to restore the old references in the relay section to see if anything works.

I loaded up KSPIE 1.20.2 in KSP 1.4.5 for a test and sure enough relay sats are working.

I will compile the old code back into the InterstellarBeamedPower helper to see if anything changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Victory! Yep, that was the problem. I now have relay potential now.

https://imgur.com/a/TgNjuhr

I will try to insert it against the current version.

EDIT:
The old code runs perfectly in the latest version of Interstellar now.  Relays are working in 1.7.1 and most likely 1.7.2. If you want, I can release the DLL that contains the old Beamedpower network system.

https://imgur.com/a/8MAJWgl

 

 

Edited by TheRag
Double Posted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheRag said:

Victory! Yep, that was the problem. I now have relay potential now.

https://imgur.com/a/TgNjuhr

I will try to insert it against the current version.

EDIT:
The old code runs perfectly in the latest version of Interstellar now.  Relays are working in 1.7.1 and most likely 1.7.2. If you want, I can release the DLL that contains the old Beamedpower network system.

https://imgur.com/a/8MAJWgl

 

 

Could you make a pull request which fixes the problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Could you make a pull request which fixes the problem?

Just sent the request to Github, hope it helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, TheRag said:

So I've been trying to find a solution in the source code on fixing the network relay. On the the Github there was an issue filed on January 20 for the same problem, which referenced 1.20.5

I believe it might be related to changing the reference from relay.Vessel to relay.position. In which case the beamed power is sending to a position not a vessel, and in turn is not being received by a vessel. I will try to restore the old references in the relay section to see if anything works.

I loaded up KSPIE 1.20.2 in KSP 1.4.5 for a test and sure enough relay sats are working.

I will compile the old code back into the InterstellarBeamedPower helper to see if anything changes.

Exactly which commit did you recompile?

4 minutes ago, TheRag said:

Just sent the request to Github, hope it helps.

Have you verified it worked?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Exactly which commit did you recompile?

Have you verified it worked?

The commit only changes one file, Interstellar Beamed Power Helper, I should be only pull request.

As for verification,

To the extent of my knowledge, yes, it does allow relaying, along with no adverse effects to the rest of the beamed power system. I have not tried beam merging, but it should follow the same principle. If you want, I can do a ground-geostationary test, if I can get power on the other side of the planet that would probably indicate relay is working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheRag said:

The commit only changes one file, Interstellar Beamed Power Helper, I should be only pull request.

As for verification,

To the extent of my knowledge, yes, it does allow relaying, along with no adverse effects to the rest of the beamed power system. I have not tried beam merging, but it should follow the same principle. If you want, I can do a ground-geostationary test, if I can get power on the other side of the planet that would probably indicate relay is working.

Yes that would be very helpful, my acces to PC with KSP is currently very limited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.