KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

My first question was left without answer, but I'm not a type that give up easily, so you will see me more here in the next weeks, especially now when I've completed tech tree in my career so I no longer can hope, that next tech nodes will answer my doubts.

First and the most important question: Wy my reactors does not produce enough power?

Example - Molten salt

In-game description says that the basic version should generate 444 MW. The same info is on the first page of this topic, and additionally there is info that upgraded wersion should generate 1,5 GW.
In my game, Molten salt (after all upgrades) generates barely... 3 MW. 
If I scale it up power output increases to max 468,8 MW at 10m radius, which is not even close to 1,5 GW.

The same story, just different numbers, is with all other reactors.

Does it make sense to you?
Am I doing something very wrong? or it's caused by conflict with other mods? or bug?

Edited by falcoon

44 minutes ago, falcoon said:

My first question was left without answer, but I'm not a type that give up easily, so you will see me more here in the next weeks, especially now when I've completed tech tree in my career so I no longer can hope, that next tech nodes will answer my doubts.

First and the most important question: Wy my reactors does not produce enough power?

Example - Molten salt

In-game description says that the basic version should generate 444 MW. The same info is on the first page of this topic, and additionally there is info that upgraded wersion should generate 1,5 GW.
In my game, Molten salt (after all upgrades) generates barely... 3 MW. 
If I scale it up power output increases to max 468,8 MW at 10m radius, which is not even close to 1,5 GW.

The same story, just different numbers, is with all other reactors.

Does it make sense to you?
Am I doing something very wrong? or it's caused by conflict with other mods? or bug?

Do you have Near Future installed?

25 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

So, that's the reason. When you have both Interstellar and Near Future, the Interstellar reactor are tweaked to respect the power scale of Near Future. It's not a bug, but a feature.

I'm not sure I understand what is "power scale of Near Future". You mean that Near Future changes some default values and Interstellar adjust to them? So this is all intentional, no conflict, and the numbers I'm getting from reactors are correct? I can still fully benefit from all Interstellar technologies (just values will be defferent)? It won't affect beam power network and it's efficiency?

11 minutes ago, falcoon said:

I'm not sure I understand what is "power scale of Near Future". You mean that Near Future changes some default values and Interstellar adjust to them? So this is all intentional, no conflict, and the numbers I'm getting from reactors are correct? I can still fully benefit from all Interstellar technologies (just values will be defferent)? It won't affect beam power network and it's efficiency?

I'm not sure about the beam power, since that system is currently work in progress, but otherwise you'll be ok.

Greetings. I have a problem with this mod, someone please help me :)

I try to use a Molten Salt Reactor with a Thermal Electric Generator, and this pair works perfect, but only when im drive the ship where its installed, or when this pair used on the other planet base.

When i launch, for example, one or two ships with reactor and generator on board, and then switch to other object - generators stop to producing MW`s and ships die without power. So pity ))).

Very upset bahaviour for that great mod :( . Any suggestion to correct this?

8 hours ago, Charon Moloch said:

Same for me, it has always been this way so I stopped trying, I can't even find the part file to see what's wrong.

Alright, I found the reason it crashes, it is caused by the  GameData\RcsSounds folder.

So I would suggest everyone with RCS crahing problem to remove the folder

Edit: somehow it must have started crashing after the 1.2 update, because it used to work before.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, -Medved- said:

Greetings. I have a problem with this mod, someone please help me :)

I try to use a Molten Salt Reactor with a Thermal Electric Generator, and this pair works perfect, but only when im drive the ship where its installed, or when this pair used on the other planet base.

When i launch, for example, one or two ships with reactor and generator on board, and then switch to other object - generators stop to producing MW`s and ships die without power. So pity ))).

Very upset bahaviour for that great mod :( . Any suggestion to correct this?

Are you using Kerbalism?

8 hours ago, zanie420 said:

Excellent, I learn so much better by example and hope to pick your brain a little. Stay warm!

Here they are.

It took an hour to type out and make, and the silly editor (I still miss vBulletin greatly) stopped working after I inserted one picture, so kept going in and out of it to get all the images in. Hope you enjoy.

@FreeThinker I think the link to wiki on the first page is wrong. 
It's: https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/wiki (only 48 pages)
and should be: https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki (61 pages)

On separate topic... why does radiators dosen't work in atmosphere?
When in automated mode, it's on while standing on runway. Then it turns off afrter reaching ~20 m/s and turns on again at about 38k m attitude. Meanwhile, if I try to activate it manually, it just fall off the plane. Is there any other way to get rid of waste heat in atmosphere?

2 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Kerbalism doesn't support other energy source than the stock ones for the background simulation. So, it's not an Interstellar issue, but a Kerbalism one.

Yes but it is on my todo list to get background power support

14 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

Here they are.

It took an hour to type out and make, and the silly editor (I still miss vBulletin greatly) stopped working after I inserted one picture, so kept going in and out of it to get all the images in. Hope you enjoy.

My waiting bears fruit! Thank you @The Destroyer!

1 minute ago, Liquid5n0w said:

@FreeThinker I was just trying to use the Direct Nuclear Turbojet and I have unlocked the upgraded version, but when I got it into space and tried to use it with hydrogen it said flameout! and would not thrust even though I had fuel.  I tried the switch mode button to no avail.

Hydrogen or LqdHydrogen?

Also have you tried disabling the engine and re-enable it?

Version 1.11.17 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-01-10

• Added new part Deployable Array Solar Wind Collector by EvilGeorge
  • Added ISRU proces Solar Wind Processor by EvilGeorge, allowing collected solar wind to processed into propellant like LqdHydrogen
  • Added RCS thruster sounds which depending on availability of MW power sound differently
  • Fixed RCS Sounds crash bug when any KSPI-E RCS part was selected or moused over
  • Removed old RcsSounds folder from package

Is there a reason that the Solar Thermal Power Mirror Receiver no longer generates as much power as it did in version 1.11.15? It appears to generate approximately 1/40th as much power as before at the same distance from the sun. Is there something that must be changed about my vessel to achieve the same results as before?

How does the warp drive works? As far as I know the warp drive translates the spacecraft at the speed determined by its setting, while conserving its momentum before and after warp, so if we are moving at 100 m/s forward, turn 90 degrees right, warp for 100km , the ship will be still moving 100 m/s forward after warp, is it correct? The thing that if its correct is that momentum is product of mass and velocity, and velocity requires a reference frame, so which reference frame did the warp drive use? Is it with respect to the sun? How about if we go to another star in one of the interstellar planet packs at first page, can we predict its exit velocity, and in which reference frame? The thing is that first page and wiki does not have any documentation on how warp drive works.

I'm asking this because I'm currently trying to figure out how to do warp navigation, at least manually with pen and paper, and eventually when I can do C# coding, I will implement it as a helper tool for KSPI. For example, if I want to travel from low Kerbin orbit to Jool orbit, I can either select Jool as target, use SAS or Mechjeb to point at target, burn to Kerbin escape velocity, wait until the gravitational field strength is low enough for my space fighter to fire its warp drive, warp to Jool until it stops because of not enough critical power, and burn retrograde until the space fighter runs out of delta-V and make Jeb stranded on space. Or, I can escape Kerbin, warp slightly off target, then exit warp, turn then warp to a point where when the space fighter exits warp, the space fighter Jool exit trajectory intersects Jool's atmosphere, allowing me to aerobrake and save all of those precious delta-V. And yes, although I play sandbox, I refuse to use antimatter and quantum vacuum plasma thruster, so no infinite delta V for me.

EDIT: Rant mode on

Spoiler

So I tried to google warp drive navigation/FTL ship navigation, and then I found out that nobody have ever seriously think about any FTL drive navigation system, they only thinks about how it might possibly works and its effects. Even Project Rho/Atomic Rockets only have a list on how to make FTL drive that works for your universe, it does not have an instruction to go from A to B using any FTL drive, and in all scifi that I have ever watched or read, either Star Wars, Star Trek, Issac Asimov Robot series, Halo, Dark Matter, and others does not have any FTL drive navigation guide. And for scifi video games, most of the games that implements FTL drive does not implement orbital mechanics properly or at all, such as Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, or they implement proper orbital mechanics but no FTL, like Orbiter. This means that currently all FTL drive users ignores the importance of braking burn after FTL travel, and this also means that KSP with KSP Interstellar is the only video game/simulator in the world as far as I know it that simulates both orbital mechanics and FTL drive, which is, interesting

Edited by Aghanim

7 hours ago, HumanEnigma said:

Is there a reason that the Solar Thermal Power Mirror Receiver no longer generates as much power as it did in version 1.11.15? It appears to generate approximately 1/40th as much power as before at the same distance from the sun. Is there something that must be changed about my vessel to achieve the same results as before?

Well that would certainly strange, it it would. Are you sure you have enough radiators because it efficiency  to generate power depend for a large amount of it ability to lose waste-heat. Could you create a screen dump, all relevant subsystems visible

Edited by FreeThinker

15 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Hydrogen or LqdHydrogen?

Also have you tried disabling the engine and re-enable it?

Well I redid the launch with the same ship and made sure when I switched from ammonium to hydrogen(the resource was the default hydrogen in the x24 KSPI tank) that I used previous fuel instead of next fuel.  I think the problem is that I went through next fuel to atmosphere then to hydrogen, and the engine decided it was flameout when on air, but didn't reactivate.  I don't think I tried an engine shutdown and activate when it was flameout though.

While attempting to balance a ship I noticed that the description mass for the Thermal Electric Generator and the Charged Particles Electric Generator are vastly different than their actual mass.  All tweak scale masses are approximately the same as well which I suspect was not intentional.  Thermal Electric Generator description mass = 6.0t but all tweak scale sizes are 0.8888t.  Charged Particles Electric Generator description mass = 3.0t but all tweak scale sizes are 0.2222t.

I skimmed through several of the other parts and did not find any other issues.  But I have only unlocked about half of the KIE parts so far.

5 minutes ago, Uberns said:

While attempting to balance a ship I noticed that the description mass for the Thermal Electric Generator and the Charged Particles Electric Generator are vastly different than their actual mass.  All tweak scale masses are approximately the same as well which I suspect was not intentional.  Thermal Electric Generator description mass = 6.0t but all tweak scale sizes are 0.8888t.  Charged Particles Electric Generator description mass = 3.0t but all tweak scale sizes are 0.2222t.

Thermal Electric Generator and the Charged Particles Electric Generator mass depend on the connected reactor. From a gameplay perspective You could see them as reactor extensions, giving a reactor the optional ability to convert their power into electric power.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.