KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Thanks for the reply. I do have a second dish with relay mode activated, I just don't see any connections on the dish that is linked for relay.

In the first screenshot I have one dish transceiver linked for relay and a second with relay mode activated. Both read 'Enabled: False' and neither allow for selecting the bandwidth to relay. Nearby receivers aren't showing any relay connections which is why I suspect my setup is not working. I just don't see what I'm doing wrong here.

To help players with using the alcubier drive I have added 2 very useful states, exit Apoapsis and exit Periapsis which will now be visible in the Warp Control Interface

Travel to a destination of choice , slow down and get close

y5fzLPi.png

Drop out of warp when the Periapsis at abouy 100 km

btMzWY5.png

This will prevent you from crashing into your target destination

LitimX4.png

If used precisely you might even use it to perform aero breaking manouver

Edited by FreeThinker

Alright, first beta of KSP 1.15 can be downloaded from here

The backported  version of KSPI 1.5.0.3 to KSP 1.2.2 can be downloaded from here

Changelog:

* Added improved convection for submerged radiators

* Added Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion Reactor

* Added Diamagnetic Antimatter container

* Added Added Blanket Rectenna Receiver

* Added X-Ray to Beam Generators

* Added Science Dril

* Added Improve Interface Regolith Processing

* Added exit Apoapsis and exit Periapsis to Warp Control Interface

* Added resource switchers ISRU Processor

* Added IntakeLqd pump capacity to universal drill

* Re balanced cost thermal radiators

* Re-balanced beamed power

* Balance: Reduced minimum Nuclear Engines my 50%, this will also reduce Thermal Electric Power Output by 50%

* Fixed Antimatter Electric Power generation

* Fixed Reactor resource output, implicitly fixing premature actinides poisoning

* Fixed Deuterium refining from Regolith

* Fixed loss of power after docking

* Fixed spamming Universal Drill Gui

* Fixed Mass growth for Tweakaled Radiators

* Fixed Exploit staged Thermal Reactor

* Fixed active ad offline fuel usage nuclear engines

* Fixed thrust unbalance with multiple nuclear engines

Edited by FreeThinker

After poking around in the GitHub, I figured out why I was having so much trouble. Right now you need an attached beam generator set to the right wavelength in order to relay.

Specifically, MicrowavePowerTransmitter.cs:681 was using the native wavelength which defaulted to IR since it isn't set for the FELA. This value was used in MicrowavePowerTransmitter:888 to become the only supported relay wavelength in MicrowavePowerTransmitter:908. Without attaching a beam generator there is no way to set the frequency for the relay, and it will default to the active relay dish's native wavelength, or IR if that isn't set.

Attaching a UV beam generator got it functioning as a UV relay. What confused me at first was that the dish linked for relay was reporting that it saw 0/2 transmitters, but it looks like that value is nonzero only in receive mode so that part was working as expected.

Thanks for the continued great work!

Edited by ClownBot

12 hours ago, GentlyBent said:

Just Updated to the beta. It wont load ships with the umbrella radiators.

Good find, It appears I made a mistake in the cost, it cannot handle floating numbers, by manualy trunking it to a whole number it should be fixed

2 hours ago, GentlyBent said:

I tried that too, but it didn't work for me. Guess I'll keep to 1.14 until release

there is a small mistake in the config file, all you need to do is turn the cost and entry cost to a whole number

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, GentlyBent said:

After undocking, the electristatic antimatter container on the ship I just undocked from is losing containment and exploding as the ship exits physics range (2.2km). This only happens in 1.15. Any thoughts?

Was the ship sufficiently powered? When unpowered, the antimatter will start to fly into the walls and blow up the ship

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm currently considering overhauling the liquid fuel molten salt breeder reactor making more it realistic and interesting and I would like to hear people feedback.

Currently, the molten salt has 2 primary Nuclear fuel modes, Thorium, Uranium and can breed lithium-6 into Helium + Tritium ( which decays into Helium-3)

Instead, I want to 3 primary fuel modes,

• Uranium-232,
  • Uranium-235 (aka Enriched Uranium),
  • Plutonium-239

Plutonium has the highest potential power output (2.89 neutrons and larger crossection), followed by  Uranium-232 (from Thorium) and Uranium-235

liquid-fluoride-thorium-reactor-blue-rib

and 4 breeder modes,

• Thorium =>Protactinium->Uranium-233,
  • Uranium-238 (aka DepletedUranium) => Neptunium->Plutonium
  • Lithium-6 => Tritium->Helium-3
  • None

The rate of breeding depends on a combination of the reactor neutron production and breed material cross-section (Lithium Highest, followed by Thorium and Lowest with Uranium-238)

fissile_fertile-1024x492.png

The amount of power produced will depend on the combination of nuclear Fuel and Breeder material.. Running without breeder material will maximize power output, Fertile material reduces output averagely and Lithium-6 reduces power output most.

I also considering getting rid of all the Fluorite fuels, which are not really used and are more part of the reactor mechanics.

They could  be combined in any combination but some are more practical like others (like Thorium + Uranium 232 and Uranium-235/Plutonium-239+Uranium-235)

All of this will create more interesting choices, are you going to use Reliable and Good performing Thorium Fuel cycle or Min/Max with Uranium Plutonium cycle where breeding output will be low but potentially maximum performance when running in Plutonium mode

Edit: this might be a crazy idea but instead of fertile material, it might also be an idea to use basic resource to create heavier resources, like converting into water into HeavyWater, which will be useful for fusion reactors which need deuterium for many fusion modes.

648px-Common_light_element_moderators,_r

Edited by FreeThinker

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Was the ship sufficiently powered? When unpowered, the antimatter will start to fly into the walls and blow up the ship

These ships work in fine in 1.14. They have plasma beam core antimatter reactors and charged particle generators with all upgrades powering magnetic nozzles running on hydrogen. If I switch between the two ships which just undocked, the selected ship doesn't explode, only the other ship as it moves out of physics range. Thinking it has something to do with on-rails power generation maybe?

1 hour ago, GentlyBent said:

These ships work in fine in 1.14. They have plasma beam core antimatter reactors and charged particle generators with all upgrades powering magnetic nozzles running on hydrogen. If I switch between the two ships which just undocked, the selected ship doesn't explode, only the other ship as it moves out of physics range. Thinking it has something to do with on-rails power generation maybe?

Alright, did it give any message? Did you see any message in the log?

Edited by FreeThinker

Uploaded the next beta 1.15.0.5 which includes several fixes

Changelog

* Added improved convection for submerged radiators

* Added Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion Reactor

* Added Diamagnetic Antimatter container

* Added Added Blanket Rectenna Receiver

* Added X-Ray to Beam Generators

* Added Science Dril

* Added Improve Interface Regolith Processing

* Added exit Apoapsis and exit Periapsis to Warp Control Interface

* Added resource switchers ISRU Processor

* Added IntakeLqd pump capacity to universal drill

* Added Infratable Gas Tank

* Added Mean Anomaly and DeltaV or Orbit to Alcubiere Control Window

* Added Inflatable Crashpad Gas Tank

* Added Double Pivot Photostatic X-Ray Receiver

* Re balanced cost thermal radiators

* Re-balanced beamed power

* Balance: Reduced minimum Nuclear Engines my 50%, this will also reduce Thermal Electric Power Output by 50%

* Fixed Antimatter Electric Power generation

* Fixed Reactor resource output, implicitly fixing premature actinides poisoning

* Fixed Deuterium refining from Regolith

* Fixed loss of power after docking

* Fixed spamming Universal Drill Gui

* Fixed Mass growth for Tweakaled Radiators

* Fixed Exploit staged Thermal Reactor

* Fixed active ad offline fuel usage nuclear engines

* Fixed thrust unbalance with multiple nuclear engines

* Fixed Issue where vessels with antimatter would explode when being unloaded

* Fixed issue build In thermal electric generator not functioning properly, like Timerwind

* Fixed exception log spamming on Timberwind

* Fixed Interstellar Tanks Methalox container amounts

Edited by FreeThinker

I noticed there is already a plutonium resource in my radioactive resources, is this part of your future planning? I was doing mining studies of the values of various materials last night and discovered 1 m^3 of Plutonium cost around 7 million, but could not find any way to extract or produce it.

On 8/8/2017 at 2:10 AM, FreeThinker said:

Not sure if this is a good idea given base KSP has a history of timewarp/power isssues and render/power issues.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Great work with all the updates!!! Can you have a look at the research lab (the white KSPIE version) ? fully upgraded units are still producing antimatter at 0.1% efficiency, while they should be at 1%, fully upgraded. I had a look in my save file and all my part upgrades are =True. The modules themselves, while they list science conversion efficiency upgrades, mention nothing about antimatter efficiency.

Thanks for all the excellent work on what is most definitely the best KSP by far, especially with RSS, where most manned space travel is horrendously impractical with stock parts 

Is lasers and a solar sail in planning? Good diamond shaped mirrors would also be nice. I've designed this ship that's lovely, not yet done, just the super structure, it would be nice to use stationary stuff to target it and send it on its way, such as using lasers to push the solar sail. Is that even possible in KSP?

With all this talk lately of the upcoming laser powered solar sails, it would be amazing if there was a custom asteroids config placing large asteroids in interstellar space. You could place powerful fusion powered lasers on them to keep pushing the sail all the way there and eventually slow it down, and mine the asteroids for fusion fuel to make the lasers self sufficient and automated. Isaac Arthur describes such a system in his video "Interstellar Highways".

4 hours ago, Periapse said:

With all this talk lately of the upcoming laser powered solar sails, it would be amazing if there was a custom asteroids config placing large asteroids in interstellar space. You could place powerful fusion powered lasers on them to keep pushing the sail all the way there and eventually slow it down, and mine the asteroids for fusion fuel to make the lasers self sufficient and automated. Isaac Arthur describes such a system in his video "Interstellar Highways".

While I am a fan of Isaac and I am in the group, I see this idea as nonsensical and something that would never happen, but it would be nice if it was something we could do in KSP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.