KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

I finally tracked down a bug with the radiators I have been looking for to tell you about. When you have 4 or more microwave receivers and you activate them all, sometimes the radiators heat will top out at 1584K. If you shut down all the receivers and activate a single one they will operate normally.

In a related report, I am unable to restart a molten salt reactor that did an emergency shutdown with a level 4 engineer kerbal. And... having thought about it I am a little unsure of why we cannot restart them with just some electric charge, real reactors have control rod drive mechanisms that are remote controlled and even after a SCRAM they are brought back online with only commands from a computer.

Hi, I'm getting back to ksp after a while, and would like to install KSPI along with realism overhaul. However, CKAN won't allow me to install KSPI Extended once RO is already installed. I suspect that it's an incompatibility with Real Fuels. When I installed RO, it did install Interstellar Fuel Switch Core. Can I get around this? Is there an actual incompatibility, or is this just a CKAN problem?

If you are trying to do it right after shutdown, you have to wait until heat decay is finished.

Also range of restarting is rather small, you have to be as close as possible (other options may appear far from reactor, but for restarting you have to come closer)

If you are trying to do it right after shutdown, you have to wait until heat decay is finished.

Also range of restarting is rather small, you have to be as close as possible (other options may appear far from reactor, but for restarting you have to come closer)

Yes tried to be right on top of it and no option to turn it on appeared. Very strange. It was a test at the launch pad so the reactor was never turned on. Tried about everything I could think of.

Hi, I'm getting back to ksp after a while, and would like to install KSPI along with realism overhaul. However, CKAN won't allow me to install KSPI Extended once RO is already installed. I suspect that it's an incompatibility with Real Fuels. When I installed RO, it did install Interstellar Fuel Switch Core. Can I get around this? Is there an actual incompatibility, or is this just a CKAN problem?

Please ask in the same question in the real fuels threat. I did not make it impossible, someone else did

Yes tried to be right on top of it and no option to turn it on appeared. Very strange. It was a test at the launch pad so the reactor was never turned on. Tried about everything I could think of.

I think by default reactors are on and if I remember correctly when they are sitting on the lauchpad they are in pre-launch state, so no manipulations are available...

About microwave power

As always I don't know whether it is a bug with my installation or just intended behaviour due to some technical difficulties, but right now I see no reason in place power stations in orbit for microwave network. For me it seems that the efficiency is only depends on place in the atmosphere of reciever, no matter where is transmitter/relay as long as it is in line of sight.

PS I know that if we are talking about network, relays have to be in orbit in order to provide wide coverage, but heavy reactors with radiators and generators can be on the ground right now.

Got a little bit of a buglet to report: if you launch a refinery and reactor set-up but neglect the generator or other actual electrical source, you'll get a status of "Out of water" for the refinery when you attempt electrolysis instead of a message about the lack of power. This is with tanks properly set-up with water and storage for the results of the process; add a generator and it kicks right into action. I haven't tested with all the other processes yet but the Haber process at least gives the proper "Insufficient Power" status message.

Not a big deal by any stretch of the imagination but it could be confusing to people who haven't figured out what's really wrong with their set-up.

Also I suppose inline microwave reciever is missing some scale components. It is correctly scaled up and down and has increased/decreased collector area, but KSPI always reports that it is 2.5 radius, so big engines get penalties...

Edited by Khalkion

Also I suppose inline microwave reciever is missing some scale components. It is correctly scaled up and down and has increased/decreased collector area, but KSPI always reports that it is 2.5 radius, so big engines get penalties...

Good find, I will correct it next patch

Please ask in the same question in the real fuels threat. I did not make it impossible, someone else did

Thanks, I did post it in the real fuels thread. I'm going to attempt to make these two work together since I really liked playing with KSPI and RO together in the past. Here's the response I got from the other thread. If you can give me any additional insight, I'd really appreciate it. Especially where those Rad Hardness lines might be coming from.

Below is the copy from the RealFuels thread.

Should be easily doable with some NEEDS clauses but I don't imagine either mod wants to take responsibility for that, although IMO it belongs in KSPI-E because it involves stomping on KSPI-E's configs.

The following should do the trick on any Interstellar Fuel Switch tank:

:NEEDS[!RealFuels&!ModularFuelSystem]

Thanks for the replies undercoveryankee, and regex. I'm not THAT familiar with modulemanager, so I'm not sure where exactly to apply that NEEDS line. If you'd be kind enough to give me a specific example for one tank, I'd be happy to apply it to all the tanks and then share the fix with others. Part of the problem is that with fuelswitch, all the .cfg files are empty (0-bytes) except for two parts files. Should I make a separate .cfg file, or are those two parts the only ones that need to be modified?

EDIT: I also noticed that if I manually install KSPI-E over RO, the VAB seems to slow down noticeably, and all the command pods have hundreds of Rad Hardness lines attached to them in the VAB descriptions. Like right-clicking on the Mk1 results in about 200 "Rad Hardness:6.00" lines in the description.

I'm going to post this in the KSPI-E thread as well to see if they might be able to provide some insight.

Thanks, I did post it in the real fuels thread. I'm going to attempt to make these two work together since I really liked playing with KSPI and RO together in the past. Here's the response I got from the other thread. If you can give me any additional insight, I'd really appreciate it. Especially where those Rad Hardness lines might be coming from.

Below is the copy from the RealFuels thread.

Thanks for the replies undercoveryankee, and regex. I'm not THAT familiar with modulemanager, so I'm not sure where exactly to apply that NEEDS line. If you'd be kind enough to give me a specific example for one tank, I'd be happy to apply it to all the tanks and then share the fix with others. Part of the problem is that with fuelswitch, all the .cfg files are empty (0-bytes) except for two parts files. Should I make a separate .cfg file, or are those two parts the only ones that need to be modified?

EDIT: I also noticed that if I manually install KSPI-E over RO, the VAB seems to slow down noticeably, and all the command pods have hundreds of Rad Hardness lines attached to them in the VAB descriptions. Like right-clicking on the Mk1 results in about 200 "Rad Hardness:6.00" lines in the description.

I'm going to post this in the KSPI-E thread as well to see if they might be able to provide some insight.

huh - I am running realfuels, and realengines, and I have not had those issues. Had some teething problems with making ion-engines RealEngines configs, but I finally tracked them down to an obscure MM typo I made (I basically made the stock (and some other mods) ion engines be cheaper-but-lower-ISP (and be locked to a single fuel) compared to the first KSPI ion-y engines, and the stock ones max out at a still-not-quite-as-good techtree node, before the KSPI engines attain their full upgrades. also, This way I can have ion engines for probes before I have reactors unlocked.

huh - I am running realfuels, and realengines, and I have not had those issues. Had some teething problems with making ion-engines RealEngines configs, but I finally tracked them down to an obscure MM typo I made (I basically made the stock (and some other mods) ion engines be cheaper-but-lower-ISP (and be locked to a single fuel) compared to the first KSPI ion-y engines, and the stock ones max out at a still-not-quite-as-good techtree node, before the KSPI engines attain their full upgrades. also, This way I can have ion engines for probes before I have reactors unlocked.

huh..So do you have both realfuels and interstellar fuel switch installed. Did you do it with CKAN or manually? Maybe it's a problem with RO then, and not realfuels?

I think I've made some progress in getting KSPI-E and RO to work together, but I'm not all the way there yet. This is all on 64-bit Linux btw.

First I did a clean install with just RO and dependencies installed through CKAN, I got ~50 fps at KSC

Then I did a clean install with just KSPI-E and dependencies installed through CKAN, I got ~50 fps at KSC

Then I did a clean install with RO through CKAN, and KSPI-E installed manually, and I dropped to ~25 fps at KSC

But then I modified KSPI-E's RealfuelsFix.cfg to look like in the quotes below, and my fps jumped back up to ~50 fps.

I ran some quick tests, and it appears that all the engines, and fuel tanks are operating normally.

The remaining problem is that the command pods each have a couple of hundred entries for Rad Hardness, which makes them unusable since when you right-click on one in flight the entire dialog is filled with Rad Hardness instead of options for crew reports, etc. So, any ideas about where the Rad Hardness entries might be coming from and how I might remove them?

//Interstellar-RealFuels configs

@WARP_PLUGIN_SETTINGS

[*]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

@HydrogenPeroxideResourceName = HTP //H2Peroxide

}

@TANK_DEFINITION

[*]:NEEDS[RealFuels,!ThunderAerospace]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

TANK //Adds KSPI Water if TACLS is not present

{

name = Water

mass = 0.000012

utilization = 1

fillable = True

amount = 0.0

maxAmount = 0.0

}

}

@TANK_DEFINITION[serviceModule,Fuselage,Jet,Xenon]:NEEDS[RealFuels&!ModularFuelSystem]:FOR[WarpPlugin]:Final

{

TANK //Add ArgonGas to all pressurized tanks. Values are based off of XenonGas.

{

name = ArgonGas

mass = 0.000095

utilization = 100

fillable = True

amount = 0.0

maxAmount = 0.0

note = (pressurized)

}

}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Cryogenic,BalloonCryo]:NEEDS[RealFuels&!ModularFuelSystem]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

TANK //Add LqdCO2 to Cryogenic tanks.

{

name = LqdCO2

mass = 0.00006

utilization = 1

fillable = True

amount = 0.0

maxAmount = 0.0

temperature = -56

loss_rate = 0.000000000006

note = (has insulation, pressurized)

}

TANK //Add LiquidNitrogen to Cryogenic tanks. Values are based off of LqdOxygen.

{

name = LqdNitrogen

mass = 0.0000112

utilization = 1

fillable = True

amount = 0.0

maxAmount = 0.0

temperature = -183

loss_rate = 0.00000000002

note = (has insulation)

}

}

@TANK_DEFINITION[serviceModule,Fuselage]:NEEDS[RealFuels&!ModularFuelSystem]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

TANK //Add LiquidCO2 to ServiceModule and Fuselage tanks.

{

name = LqdCO2

mass = 0.00008

utilization = 1

fillable = True

amount = 0.0

maxAmount = 0.0

temperature = -56

loss_rate = 0.000000000006

}

TANK //Add LiquidNitrogen to ServiceModule and Fuselage tanks. Values are based off of LqdOxygen.

{

name = LqdNitrogen

mass = 0.00008

utilization = 1

fillable = True

amount = 0.0

maxAmount = 0.0

temperature = -183

loss_rate = 0.00000000002

}

}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Default,Balloon]:NEEDS[RealFuels&!ModularFuelSystem]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

TANK //Add LiquidCO2 to standard tanks.

{

name = LqdCO2

mass = 0.000062

utilization = 1

fillable = True

amount = 0.0

maxAmount = 0.0

temperature = -56

loss_rate = 0.000000002

note = (lacks insulation, pressurized)

}

TANK //Add LqdNitrogen to standard tanks. Values are based off of LqdOxygen.

{

name = LqdNitrogen

mass = 0.000014

utilization = 1

fillable = True

amount = 0.0

maxAmount = 0.0

temperature = -183

loss_rate = 0.00000001

note = (lacks insulation)

}

}

//Part catch-all updates

@PART

[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[H2Peroxide]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

@RESOURCE[H2Peroxide]

{

@name = HTP

}

}

//Resource Definition updates

@OCEANIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

[*]:HAS[#resourceName[Ammonia]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

@resourceName = LqdAmmonia

}

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

[*]:HAS[#resourceName[Ammonia]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

}

@OCEANIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

[*]:HAS[#resourceName[H2Peroxide]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

@resourceName = HTP

}

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

[*]:HAS[#resourceName[H2Peroxide]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

@resourceName = HTP

}

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_PACK_DEFINITION[interstellarAtmosphericPack]:FINAL:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION[KerbinOxygen]

{

resourceName = LqdOxygen

}

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION[KerbinHydrogen]

{

resourceName = LqdHydrogen

}

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION[JoolHydrogen]

{

resourceName = LqdHydrogen

}

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION[LaytheOxygen]

{

resourceName = LqdOxygen

}

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION[DunaOxygen]

{

resourceName = LqdOxygen

}

}

//Remove duplicate entry for LqdMethane

!RESOURCE_DEFINITION[LqdMethane]:HAS[#density[0.00186456]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

@density = 0.00042262

}

//Specific part fixes

@PART[FNMethaneTank*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdMethane],@RESOURCE[Oxidizer],!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleFuelTanks

temp = 0

volume = 0

type = Cryogenic

@temp = #$../RESOURCE[LqdMethane]/maxAmount$

@temp *= 4.412

@volume = #$temp$

@temp = #$../RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$

@temp *= 5

@volume += #$temp$

!temp = 0

}

!RESOURCE[LqdMethane] {}

!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}

}

@PART

[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FNModuleResourceExtraction]]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

@MODULE[FNModuleResourceExtraction]:HAS[#resourceName[Ammonia]]

{

}

}

//Make ISRU refinery tanks insulated and modular

@PART[FNRefinery]:NEEDS[RealFuels&!ModularFuelSystem]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleFuelTanks

volume = 1750

type = Cryogenic

}

}

@PART[FNInlineRefinery]:NEEDS[RealFuels&!ModularFuelSystem]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleFuelTanks

volume = 1750

type = Cryogenic

}

}

@PART[FNInlineRefineryLarge]:NEEDS[RealFuels&!ModularFuelSystem]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleFuelTanks

volume = 11000

type = Cryogenic

}

}

Edited by mkrco

About microwave power

As always I don't know whether it is a bug with my installation or just intended behaviour due to some technical difficulties, but right now I see no reason in place power stations in orbit for microwave network. For me it seems that the efficiency is only depends on place in the atmosphere of reciever, no matter where is transmitter/relay as long as it is in line of sight.

PS I know that if we are talking about network, relays have to be in orbit in order to provide wide coverage, but heavy reactors with radiators and generators can be on the ground right now.

Actualy, I made it so that the source of the power also recieves a efficency penalty, when it is in the atmosphere. So I'm a bit surpized to hear this. But perhaps some of it's calculation are wrong. I will find out what might have gone wrong.

Edited by FreeThinker

Hm... May be my issue is due to planet pack?.. I'm playing with New Horizons.

But right now I recieve the same amounts of power, whether my powerplant with transmiter is in orbit or on the ground (all tests around Kerbin).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.