KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Surprisingly very stable.

It was wobbling, when I had these fuel tanks for ISRU in main stack

Indeed. To my understanding, the problem is because small tanks are light and therefore not very strong. KSP has the wrong notion that mass = strength. So when it comes to Maximising the amount of tanks you want to take with you, your often better off with lots of radial attached tanks, which are also lighter, making the whole vessel lighter. The only problem of those radial tanks is their attachment strenth is limited, which means can break if you assent or decent too fast.

Edit: One more thing, why so many refineries and why not use the radial attached refineries?

Edit2: I just noticed something funny, the large refinery is significantly lighter than the radial attached refinery. it should have been the other way aroound, otherwise why would you want to ue the radial attached refinery?

Edited by FreeThinker

Hi, i have a problem, and it looks like its interstellar related... I just moded my stock KSP, and when I right click my kerbals, it shows "Rad hardness: 1" so many times i cant interact with kerbal hidden functions ;.; (no samples, flags and stuff)

http://i.imgur.com/bFkbhii.jpg

theres a list of mods i use, its screen from CKAN

http://i.imgur.com/ZoxgquH.jpg

i run 32bit KSP version on win7 64bit

Sorry if this problem was already fixed but theres 250 pages and I TRIED, but theres just too many and i got bored :sealed:

I think this is caused by Advanced Jet Engines. Try removing that mod. It worked for me, but I hope they can be made compatible soon. Freethinker, is the "Rad hardness: 1" message supposed to appear when the radiation effects are disabled?

Indeed. To my understanding, the problem is because small tanks are light and therefore not very strong. KSP has the wrong notion that mass = strength. So when it comes to Maximising the amount of tanks you want to take with you, your often better off with lots of radial attached tanks, which are also lighter, making the whole vessel lighter. The only problem of those radial tanks is their attachment strenth is limited, which means can break if you assent or decent too fast.

Edit: One more thing, why so many refineries and why not use the radial attached refineries?

Edit2: I just noticed something funny, the large refinery is significantly lighter than the radial attached refinery. it should have been the other way aroound, otherwise why would you want to ue the radial attached refinery?

I have 4 refineries because I can't run 4 processes for hydrazine (one for production of fuel, 2 for making half products for peroxide process and fourth for recycling water) at once in one refinery.

BTW is that lag I described normal thing?

Heres my specs:

Intel Core i3 3220 - 3.3 Ghz.

8 GB DDR 3 ram.

Nvidia GTX 550 Ti

and Windows 7 64 bit

Edit:

Radial tanks doesn't have peroxide mode.

Also I needed to set max temperature of thermal turbojet to 3500 kelvins, as otherwise this explodes, if I burn hydrazine at 100% - I have 5m antimatter reactor attached to it.

Edited by raxo2222

I have 4 refineries because I can't run 4 processes for hydrazine (one for production of fuel, 2 for making half products for peroxide process and fourth for recycling water) at once in one refinery.

BTW is that lag I described normal thing?

Heres my specs:

Intel Core i3 3220 - 3.3 Ghz.

8 GB DDR 3 ram.

Nvidia GTX 550 Ti

and Windows 7 64 bit

From what I heard, I heard, it realy doesn't matter how fast your PC is. Any vessel more than 100+ is doomed to suffer from lag, especially during launch, but once above 250km it should be tolerably I heard. In Ksp the most computer intensive part are the engines, but you usually don't have that many, so it can be ignored. The biggest cause if lag are exception. Have you checked you log?

- - - Updated - - -

Radial tanks doesn't have peroxide mode.

Thanks, I will add it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I needed to set max temperature of thermal turbojet to 3500 kelvins, as otherwise this explodes, if I burn hydrazine at 100% - I have 5m antimatter reactor attached to it.

I hope you do realize how much power those reactors produce, it an insane amount. This is probably the closest thing to a torch ship. Note that the Engine cooling performance is directly linked to the amount of build up waste heat. So the cooler your radiators, the better hose engines will be cooled. Perhaps you should have added more or bigger radiators

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is caused by Advanced Jet Engines. Try removing that mod. It worked for me, but I hope they can be made compatible soon. Freethinker, is the "Rad hardness: 1" message supposed to appear when the radiation effects are disabled?

It might have something to do with parts which add "kerbalEVA" specific part . I will disable the code for next version which should fix this issue permanently

Well you could convert the Magnetic Confinement Fusion reactor into a Inertial Confinement reactor with the same properties. (specificly replace InterstellarTokamakFusionReactor by InterstellarInertialConfinementReactor) The Inertial Confinement has a charge feature which allows you to jumpstart the fusion reactor. Or just use the inertial confinement fusion reactor (formaly known as omega fusion reactor)

well, the problem is i just cant get enough energy to jump start the reactor. it takes 200 megajoules, and if i dont have a way to store megajoules then it cant be done becuase electicity requires WAY WAY to many batteries and is also buggy so it doesn't even work if you get enough.

well, the problem is i just cant get enough energy to jump start the reactor. it takes 200 megajoules, and if i dont have a way to store megajoules then it cant be done becuase electicity requires WAY WAY to many batteries and is also buggy so it doesn't even work if you get enough.

I think one solution is to send up another reactor with MegaJoules to jump start it. I think that's actually fairly realistic since storing that amount of power with batteries doesn't really make sense anyways. The power to start a fusion reaction is immense and the mod reflects that by requiring a substantial power source. You could CLAW a restart ship to the original reactor or use KAS to attach the ships in orbit to transfer the power.

Another option would be to build the ship with a small molten salt reactor to supply the energy to start and stop the fusion reaction and act as a permanent power source for the vessel.

Edited by Trolllception

No don't understand. The charge ability allows you to charge power over time using Electric Charge. You only need a small surplus of electric charge. Which means you can charge even with a low tech solar panel. It ill just take a long time to charge but at time warp it will only take a day or more. The moment it has enough power to jump start the reactor, it will do so.

I think the solution is to send up another reactor with MegaJoules to jump start it. I think that's actually fairly realistic since storing that amount of power with batteries doesn't really make sense anyways. The power to start a fusion reaction is immense and the mod reflects that by requiring a substantial power source. You could CLAW a restart ship to the original reactor or use KAS to attach the ships in orbit to transfer the power.

Another option would be to build the ship with a small molten salt reactor to supply the energy to start and stop the fusion reaction and act as a permanent power source for the vessel.

i want to change the game, not the ship. it may seem unrealistic but i don't care, i just want it to be the way it used to be, so if someone could tell me how to "mod the mod" to allow this that would be great. i've been searching through the configs and cant find anything.

No don't understand. The charge ability allows you to charge power over time using Electric Charge. You only need a small surplus of electric charge. Which means you can charge even with a low tech solar panel. It ill just take a long time to charge but at time warp it will only take a day or more. The moment it has enough power to jump start the reactor, it will do so.

it doesn't work with electric charge, i tested it with a massive amount of batteries and a reactor with generators on it.

From what I heard, I heard, it realy doesn't matter how fast your PC is. Any vessel more than 100+ is doomed to suffer from lag, especially during launch, but once above 250km it should be tolerably I heard. In Ksp the most computer intensive part are the engines, but you usually don't have that many, so it can be ignored. The biggest cause if lag are exception. Have you checked you log?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I will add it.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you do realize how much power those reactors produce, it an insane amount. This is probably the closest thing to a torch ship. Note that the Engine cooling performance is directly linked to the amount of build up waste heat. So the cooler your radiators, the better hose engines will be cooled. Perhaps you should have added more or bigger radiators

- - - Updated - - -

It might have something to do with parts which add "kerbalEVA" specific part . I will disable the code for next version which should fix this issue permanently

Well there were no exceptions.

BTW how much radiators I would need to prewents engines from overheating?

Well there were no exceptions.

BTW how much radiators I would need to prewents engines from overheating?

The thermal helper mod included with KSPI will show you waste heat usage. This is accessed from the VAB/SPH by using the icon in the blizzy toolbar or by pressing the letter 'I' on the keyboard.

it doesn't work with electric charge, i tested it with a massive amount of batteries and a reactor with generators on it.

It won't work on the Magnetic Confinement Fusion reactor, but it will on the Inertial Confinement Reactor, therefore I suggest you can it.

- - - Updated - - -

Version 1.3.12 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-08-18

• Added Retractable Universal RCS Block (flat and curved), which thrust can be modified, switch between mono-propellant and will extract only when both enabled and RCS is online
  • Fixed Radiation Messages in Parts
  • Added HTP to Sphere Tank

Edited by FreeThinker

Freethinker I'm loving the RCS updates - however is a thrusterpower of 2.0 enough? The "mod" vernor engines I made which consume hydrazine and chargedparticles (probably should be megajoules) are using a thruster power of 15 (stock vernor is 12)... but with the large ships that the Interstellar mod makes possible, wouldn't we need a LOT of 2.0 power thrusters to turn one effectively?

Also I'm a bit confused on the uranium/thorium scanner. It seems to show the concentrations reliably enough when I right click, but "show hotspots" shows.. nothing. Or are there simply none available on Kerbin and Mun?

It won't work on the Magnetic Confinement Fusion reactor, but it will on the Inertial Confinement Reactor, therefore I suggest you can it

weird, must be a bug becuase it doesn't work for me. can you help me change the generators so that they can store joules/watts? im kinda good with the config files of parts but other than that i don't know much.

Do you have a generator attached to the reactor to produce Megajoules? The Attila doesn't run on KSP electric charge.

This is my test ship. It has panels, KSP electric charge, a reactor, generator, air vent(just incase) and a radiator. Still nothing. Atilla is on with my thrust on of course right now

iHfUPEd.png

Freethinker I'm loving the RCS updates - however is a thrusterpower of 2.0 enough?

When scaled using Tweakscale they have a thruster power of almost 10 kN.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my test ship. It has panels, KSP electric charge, a reactor, generator, air vent(just incase) and a radiator. Still nothing. Atilla is on with my thrust on of course right now

http://i.imgur.com/iHfUPEd.png

The Attila is a vacuum high ISP electric engine. It's probably not producing enough thrust to be measurable/ignored by the game. Try it in space, in a vacuum. I ran into this the first time I used them as well.

Freethinker I'm loving the RCS updates - however is a thrusterpower of 2.0 enough? The "mod" vernor engines I made which consume hydrazine and chargedparticles (probably should be megajoules) are using a thruster power of 15 (stock vernor is 12)... but with the large ships that the Interstellar mod makes possible, wouldn't we need a LOT of 2.0 power thrusters to turn one effectively?

Well, the Universal RCS isn't finished yet, it will be able to act with other cold gases, have different performance for each and it will require a bit of power to properly catalyze the mono propellant. But for a first version which can switch between 3 mono propellants, can be thrust adjusted and shows when it's active, and looks good on space planes, is a good step.

Regarding the Linear RCS, I intended to create a version which should have enough power to lift a light fighter.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/iHfUPEd.png

Notice you are only receiving 16 MW, this means you will not be able to overcome the static pressure with this engine. Try making the Attila small and it should start to give noticeable amount of thrust. Edited by FreeThinker

I have that in my toolbar, I thought I don't need it for thermal engine lol

Edit:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Can be Peroxide/Ammonia production readjusted, so it would be produced fast enough to supply Hydrazine production?

Peroxide process process uses 11.87 mT/hour of Ammonia and 5.76 mT/hour of Peroxide.

But other ISRU's can produce only 2.11 mT/hour of Ammonia and 5.761 mT/hour of Peroxide.

So Ammonia production should be upscaled accordingly like to 11.871 mT/hour

Also I set radiatiors so their max temp would be below 2750 degrees, but still I can't run at full thrust.

There I setup radiators so they would be in green for gas core reactor.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have deadly reentry BTW

Edited by raxo2222

Can be Peroxide/Ammonia production readjusted, so it would be produced fast enough to supply Hydrazine production?

Peroxide process process uses 11.87 mT/hour of Ammonia and 5.76 mT/hour of Peroxide.

But other ISRU's can produce only 2.11 mT/hour of Ammonia and 5.761 mT/hour of Peroxide.

So Ammonia production should be upscaled accordingly like to 11.871 mT/hour

Perhaps, but I wonder on what the values are based on.

Perhaps, but I wonder on what the values are based on.

idk, these values sounds arbitrary as duck, so ammonia production could be bumped up.

It seems like these values are around collection speed of these materials just above atmosphere - I have 8 400% big radial air scoops.

Each pair collects nitrogen, oxygen, water vapor and hydrogen.

idk, these values sounds arbitrary as duck, so ammonia production could be bumped up.

It seems the Haber process isn't that complex. Also besides Electric Power, I think we can also make it run directly on thermal heat

averillfwk-fig15_015.jpg

It does seem to produce considerable amount of wasteheat, which isn't modeled yet

I will increase the Haber Proces for the Large Refinery to 100 MW, which should allow you to produce 5x as much Ammonia.

Edited by FreeThinker

I will make the Haber Proces 100 MW, which should allow you to produce 5x as much Ammonia.

Well that still would be slightly too slow (10.55 production vs 11.87 consumption), it would be nice if it matched exactly, just like peroxide production.

It needs to be 5.63x faster - it would consume 112.6 MW - make it 120 MW consumption instead so it would be nice round number.

So basically 5.63x faster and 120 MW consumption.

There is also anothing thing, the ISRU Model. Perfonaly, I don't think it a very good model for IRSU. Instead, I'm thinking about using the Stock IRSU model instead. The Existing Refinery models could be used for something completely different. The model has a striking similarity to the microwave sphere reciever except it is located in the stack instead of the top. It could therefore be used for this purpose.

Regarding the KSPI models in general, I think it need better models, many of look simplistic and not very convinsing. I would love to replace them by better looking models.

Edited by FreeThinker

There is also anothing thing, the ISRU Model. Perfonaly, I don't think it a very good model for IRSU. Instead, I'm thinking about using the Stock IRSU model instead. The Existing Refinery models could be used for something completely different. The model has a striking similarity to the microwave sphere reciever except it is located in the stack instead of the top. It could therefore be used for this purpose.

Regarding the KSPI models in general, I think it need better models, many of look simplistic and not very convinsing. I would love to replace them by better looking models.

Hmm or you could completely scrap ISRU refineries and have tweakscale stock ISRU with interstellar capabilities.

Drill could be used for mining resources from surface/ocean

Mod ISRU refineries stil could be here, but be hidden in career and if possible in sandbox too for backward compability.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.