KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

16 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

Your speed in your navball always shows your speed relative to the body whose SOI you are in.  So you leave kerbin and it says 2500 m/s, that's relative to Kerbin, not to the star, Kerbol.  When you get to Duna, your speed relative to the *star* will be preserved.  20km/s is about right if Duna is on the far side of the star from where you started.  You can use the star's gravity to burn off the speed for you if you warp in close to the star at the right point, wait a few hours for gravity to do its job, and then warp to your destination.  If you can do vector addition you can figure it out, and mechjeb can help you calculate it if you come out of warp near the star and 'match velocity with destination' (ie, Duna) at a fixed time of 0 seconds - this will show you the vector and dV differential you need to make up.

So at this point it seems that it's working as intended; at least it's working as it's always worked for me, and how it's "supposed to".  If Duna is ideally positioned you can get away with 3km/sec for your insertion burn, but it seems you're doing the trip at the worst possible time :)

Also, don't use liquidfuel/oxidizer, if you still are.  Those fuels are entirely obsolete with this mod.  I find that hydrazine works best with pretty much every KSPIE engine - the VASIMR and ATILLA seem to be the most efficient, if you have the antimatter reactors unlocked, which of course you do since those unlock before the warp drives :)  It's not impossible to make a spaceplane that can go single stage to Duna and burn off the 20k dV even under non-ideal conditions.  You might have to refuel for the return trip, however, if you're needing 20k :)

W8 w8 so warp drive in kspi dont mantain the oryginal starting speed and direction , but in relation to a target body? it take transit ( in this case sun ) orbit speed too? WHAT?!

and i use liquid fuel because it is most efficient / weight and isp with thermal turbojet wich i use . With 105 tones mk3 spaceplane i got 35k delta-v for less than 7k units of liquid fuel , and i didnt know mechjeb warp plugin is so usefull for calculation i thout it only disable warp drive at fixed time.

Edited by gary85

1 hour ago, gary85 said:

W8 w8 so warp drive in kspi dont mantain the oryginal starting speed and direction , but in relation to a target body? it take transit ( in this case sun ) orbit speed too? WHAT?!

and i use liquid fuel because it is most efficient / weight and isp with thermal turbojet wich i use . With 105 tones mk3 spaceplane i got 35k delta-v for less than 7k units of liquid fuel , and i didnt know mechjeb warp plugin is so usefull for calculation i thout it only disable warp drive at fixed time.

It keeps your real speed, not your speed relative to any body.  Different planets orbit stars at different speeds.  when you switch planets, you could be traveling at starkly different speeds compared to what you were originally. 

17 hours ago, EnigmaG said:

Try slowly throttle up, not start with 100%

Unfortunately does not help. I can not make turbofans working either, I can start with some GigaWat powered engines as ATILLA or Vasimir on sea level, but their efficiency is too low :/

6 hours ago, kavi said:

Im having problems with engine fx

With the magic of the Exotic Matters I smoked a little ago, I think you have Smoke Screen installed. If that the case, remove it and everything will be back to normal, otherwise, provide us with some more information, or will not be able to help you.

Edited by Nansuchao

I got frustrated trying to mix Interstellar and Mk3 parts, so I used the fuel mod to make the fuels switchable--and then realized (again) the fuel volume varies significantly between vanilla and Interstellar. I went ahead and bumped Mk3 up to match Interstellar volumes. I know liquid fuel is generally lower thrust and ISP than liquid methane. But... I still feel like I'm cheating pretty heinously. Is there a reason why Interstellar boosts the fuel volumes so much? (And more to the point, am I a cheater-pants for doing the same??)

Edit: I guess my question is, is a vanilla engine + fuel tanks carrying ten times the fuel somehow overpowered contrasted with an interstellar engine + Interstellar fuel tanks? I do notice vanilla fuel tanks + Interstellar engines regularly run out of juice... but maybe that's just me sucking.

Edited by nezumi

1 hour ago, nezumi said:

I got frustrated trying to mix Interstellar and Mk3 parts, so I used the fuel mod to make the fuels switchable--and then realized (again) the fuel volume varies significantly between vanilla and Interstellar. I went ahead and bumped Mk3 up to match Interstellar volumes. I know liquid fuel is generally lower thrust and ISP than liquid methane. But... I still feel like I'm cheating pretty heinously. Is there a reason why Interstellar boosts the fuel volumes so much? (And more to the point, am I a cheater-pants for doing the same??)

Edit: I guess my question is, is a vanilla engine + fuel tanks carrying ten times the fuel somehow overpowered contrasted with an interstellar engine + Interstellar fuel tanks? I do notice vanilla fuel tanks + Interstellar engines regularly run out of juice... but maybe that's just me sucking.

Most things in interstellar have been caculated based on their size and mass.   I think hydrogen tanks are lightweight on purpose.  You will find the fuels have varying degrees of ISP and total thrust, with hydrogen having huge ISP but low total thrust and carbon dioxide having great total thrust and thrust but bad ISP.  Other than that, I do not know if the units are the same. 

13 hours ago, Profit- said:

It keeps your real speed, not your speed relative to any body.  Different planets orbit stars at different speeds.  when you switch planets, you could be traveling at starkly different speeds compared to what you were originally. 

"real speed" in this case being your speed relative to the sun.  Also, I'm not talking about using MJ2's warp plugin.  that has to do with timewarp, not this.  MJ2 is not aware of KSPIE at all and in some cases actively screws things up, like timing burns on a magnetic nozzle.  I'm just talking about the maneuver planner, "match velocities with target at current time" - note that you have to be outside of Kerbin's SOI for this to work, and you'd have to have Duna targeted.

4 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

With the magic of the Exotic Matters I smoked a little ago, I think you have Smoke Screen installed. If that the case, remove it and everything will be back to normal, otherwise, provide us with some more information, or will not be able to help you.

smokescreen definitely breaks KSPIE's engine effects.  If you install B9 from CKAN, it comes along with it.  You'll want to manually remove the SmokeScreen folder from your GameData to fix that - do NOT let CKAN uninstall it or it'll take B9 out as well.  B9 parts still work without it, not sure if B9 engines show effects or not without it.  I'll have to try the liquidfuel thing, as far as I've seen, hydrazine is the most efficient fuel for any of these engines...

6 hours ago, nezumi said:

To use spaceplanes or any other fuel tank in the games with the Interstellar Fuel Tank Plugin, you'll want to use this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/118688-starlion-industries-kspi-ifs-compatibility-patches-for-fueltanks-spaceplanes-more-ckan/

3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

To use spaceplanes or any other fuel tank in the games with the Interstellar Fuel Tank Plugin, you'll want to use this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/118688-starlion-industries-kspi-ifs-compatibility-patches-for-fueltanks-spaceplanes-more-ckan/

Thank you thank you thank you! I spent about forty minutes hunting for "mk3" updates with no luck at all. I was ready to spend an hour making manual changes, but this is DEFINITELY easier (and already tested and appropriately balanced).

On 12/17/2015 at 6:40 PM, Nansuchao said:

Thanks!!

Playing career mode, just unlocked Gas Core reactor (High Efficiency Nuclear Propulsion).  The gas core reactor with thermal rocket nozzle runs 700 ISP in vacuum at low throttle, and 1900 at full throttle.  Why is this?  Oh, and is there a reason the Gas Core reactor cannot be attached to a generator?

Edited by EMPeror
(specify nozzle), add generator question.

15 hours ago, EMPeror said:

Playing career mode, just unlocked Gas Core reactor (High Efficiency Nuclear Propulsion).  The gas core reactor with thermal rocket nozzle runs 700 ISP in vacuum at low throttle, and 1900 at full throttle.  Why is this?  Oh, and is there a reason the Gas Core reactor cannot be attached to a generator?

I assume by Gas Core reacor you mean  the NUclear Light Bulp, as stated on the Reactor table, it requires Improved Nuclear Power to unlock thermal electric power generating

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

I assume by Gas Core reacor you mean  the NUclear Light Bulp, as stated on the Reactor table, it requires Improved Nuclear Power to unlock thermal electric power generating

I actually am talking about the "Gas Core Reactor"(in game)/"Open Cycle Gas Core" (Table), but now I see they both have the same issue according to the table.  The Reactor table does not appear to match the pricing or names of what's in game.  I think what you're referring to what in-game is called the "Closed Cycle Gas Core Engine".  That explains the no-power issue, any explanation for why the ISP varies directly with throttle?  (It plays havoc with the Delta-v displays in Mech-Jeb)

I understand your confusion. You can use the generator in the construction but it will not work without the right techs unlocked. One way to solve the confusion would be to have the electric power generator require Improved Nuclear Power instead of Large Electrics. However this would create another problem with the Salt Core Reactor, which require a electrical generator to be useful. A solution would be to integrate the power generator into the reactor, like we integrate the nozzle in the reactor. This would require a new reactor part model, or borrow from another Mod.

Also note that the Open Gas Reactor is a highly specialized early access reactor which only works effectively for transfering of orbits. Do not attempt to use the Open gas reactor for launching as any significant G forces will cause buoyancy effects in the gas reactor core causing the uranium to mix with the fuel, causing it to lose power and spew deadly radiation out of the back

Edited by FreeThinker

i think i found another bug when i use my spaceplane after i turn off antimater reactor my charge in antimater tank dont go down and electric charge goes down only by 1 for few min. my 4k electricity last for days ( i guess mechjeb or sas drains it ) and when i click stop charging it says no charge required and tank is full.

mTfCUBx.jpg

And i got personal favor , can someone make a warping tutorial because burning each time 10 15k/ms of delta-v is realy annoying and i have no idea when to warp and from what orbit to get lowest afterwarp burn.

Edited by gary85

8 hours ago, gary85 said:

And i got personal favor , can someone make a warping tutorial because burning each time 10 15k/ms of delta-v is realy annoying and i have no idea when to warp and from what orbit to get lowest afterwarp burn.

While I do not have a (well ok I made one but not a good one) tutorial, You can use very careful warping and a strong gravity well or a very shallow series of atmospheric braking maneuvers to bring your craft inline with the speed of the planet you are trying to match. 

The gravity well solution only works well on Jool.  Atmospheric braking obviously requires an atmosphere, and very high speeds are extremely hard to pull off without craft destruction. 

To match speeds the closest  wait till planets align (around the circle anywhere) like this and then warp directly across, like in this image. I think you will be going faster than DUNA at this point so you will want to be behind it) You will only have to burn off about 2.5K with this maneuver if you do it right from Kerbin to Duna, and that is manageable with an aerobraking maneuver. 

image.png

Edited by Profit-

18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I understand your confusion. You can use the generator in the construction but it will not work without the right techs unlocked. One way to solve the confusion would be to have the electric power generator require Improved Nuclear Power instead of Large Electrics. However this would create another problem with the Salt Core Reactor, which require a electrical generator to be useful. A solution would be to integrate the power generator into the reactor, like we integrate the nozzle in the reactor. This would require a new reactor part model, or borrow from another Mod.

Also note that the Open Gas Reactor is a highly specialized early access reactor which only works effectively for transfering of orbits. Do not attempt to use the Open gas reactor for launching as any significant G forces will cause buoyancy effects in the gas reactor core causing the uranium to mix with the fuel, causing it to lose power and spew deadly radiation out of the back

Thanks to tweakscale I can get around the power problem by using a tiny molten salt for power, so I'm ok with needing an upgrade for electrical power.

The buoyancy effect would explain the exact opposite of what I'm seeing.  (I see thrust vary directly with throttle, not inversely). 

AND, Any buoyancy effect should only kick in when greater than 1 G, otherwise the reactor wouldn't function at all on the surface of a Kerbin. 

After you upgrade, does its electrical output reduce under acceleration?

Edited by EMPeror
typo

so I haven't done science/non-sandbox in a while.. which tech node in community tech tree unlocks the ATILLA (augmented arcjet) ability to use Atmosphere as a propellant?  I can do it in sandbox mode, but I thought I had all the tech unlocked in my science save but it's still not showing as an option ><

Also what unlocks the ResistoJet RCS blocks' ability to use atmospheric mode... I could swear I unlocked everything relevant ><

Edited by ss8913

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.