KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Hi There

I was just wondering if anyone else is having trouble connecting microwave relays?  I'm playing in career mode and cannot for the life of me get relays to relay... I don't know if it's me or what but here's a pic of the relay I'm trying use.  If anybody knows what I'm doing wrong could you please let me know?  

Awesome mod btw!!!

relay

dyNj4RWm.jpg

1 hour ago, Watercooled said:

Hi There

I was just wondering if anyone else is having trouble connecting microwave relays?  I'm playing in career mode and cannot for the life of me get relays to relay... I don't know if it's me or what but here's a pic of the relay I'm trying use.  If anybody knows what I'm doing wrong could you please let me know?  

Awesome mod btw!!!

relay

dyNj4RWm.jpg

The picture is too small to be able to make any observation but if you try to make a relay network, it's important that at least one of you relay is in direct line of sight of the transmitter which must be able to pivot when stationed on the surface.

Just now, FreeThinker said:

The picture is too small to be able to make any observation but if you try to make a relay network, it's important that at least one of you relay is in direct line of sight of the transmitter which must be able to pivot when stationed on the surface.

ooops. Sorry about that.  I am doing a 4 relay omni network at 777 km above Kerbin and the Transmitter is orbiting at 330km.  It says there is relays and they do have line of sight but it keeps stating that 0/3 relays are connected.  I don't have all the relays up yet as I wanted to make sure they were working first.  But with the ones in orbit even with LOS they don't connect it seems.  

Is this better?  Sorry I am new lol

Thank-you

IdyNj4RWh.jpg 

2 hours ago, Watercooled said:

I am doing a 4 relay omni network at 777 km above Kerbin and the Transmitter is orbiting at 330km.

777 km? Do  you realize at long range the  microwave network will not be very inefficient due to the high dispersion unless you use very large receivers? Microwave is very efficient at short distances (< 100 km) and in atmosphere, in higher orbit you require huge receivers. A good alternative for Geostationary orbit, is to use Infrared transmitters, their wavelength is much narrower while still relatively efficient to transmit, allowing you to effectively beam power all the way to minmus.

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

777 km? Do  you realize at long range the  microwave network will not be very inefficient due to the high dispersion unless you use very large receivers? Microwave is very efficient at short distances (< 100 km) and in atmosphere, in higher orbit you require huge receivers. A good alternative for Geostationary orbit, use Infrared transmitters, their wavelength is much narrower while still relatively efficient to transmit, allowing you to effectively beam power all the way to minmus.

Gotcha.  I figured I was doing something wrong.  I don't have the IR transmitters yet so I will just finish putting the relays in orbit and leave them there until I get that tech unlocked. I'll drop the power station too to under 100 km because it's not beaming much power where it is.  I was following a tutorial I found on Youtube and I'm guessing it's very outdated.  

Thanks for clarifying.

18 hours ago, okder said:

@ZTeeVeRyea it feels like KSPie leaking someway(more probably at each load scene), so when it's leaks much enough garbage collector slowdowns a game, but power balancing bug is more significant (no option to reserve) as i think.

Working on it, power control was suppose to not only affect power output, but also power requirement, allowing player to balance power when insufficient power is available

I will also look into if auto adjusting is feasible, at least for reactors that are not connect to a generator but only serve for propulsion

Edited by FreeThinker

How does microwave transmitting work? I have not played KSPI since 0.9x days, and it has certainly changed since then. https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/wiki/Microwave-Power-Transceivers seems very outdated

Random trail and error seems to be that there are 3 different types of beam, visible, microwave, infrared. Which appear to be Gyrotron=Microwave, Free Electron=Infrared, DiodeLaser=Visible. But then most receivers don't mention which they can pick up, or what each type is good for using. The front page gives some info, although it is still not clear what each thing does, and many things ingame have old descriptions or are just blank. Also the info on the front page includes listing wave lengths in Ghz for some rows.

Edited by Thurak

Version 1.10.12 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2

Released on 2016-10-22

• KSPI-E now requires CTT 3.0.1 (included in package)
  • Included experimental version of HideEmptyTechTreeNodes which only hide empty technodes (including no upgrade placeholders)
  • Removed integrated CTT which could potentially cause conflict with other mods that added technodes (like KW rocketry)
  • Included updated version Filter extensions, making KSPI part menu fully accesable again
  • Including updated version Tweakscale, fixing scaling behavior in VAB
  • Included updated version IFS, fixing exceptions in mirrored parts
  • Added Improved manual power control for inertial fusion engine (OMEGA and NIF) allowing
Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, DrScarlett said:

Hi FreeThinker,

Nertea's CTT 3.0.1 is now available for me in CKAN. Is it OK to install it from there, no issues because it is already included in KSPI_E?

No, when people use CKAN to install KSPI-E, CTT needs to be available separately, it cannot be retrieved from the KSPI-E Package file.

Edited by FreeThinker

Fantastic work, FreeThinker.  I have no idea how you manage to keep up with this, and that just makes it even more impressive.

As such, I really hate to add to the burden.

We need inertial dampening for the added G-Force gameplay.  I just liquified Jeb on my new 1.2 games first FTL mission.  haha!  The flight log shows a massive G-Force structural failure.

Is this possible?

Edited by Occams Chainsaw

Ok, ran into a issue with the release of 1.10.12.

After installing it i noticed my solar panels from near future solar have disappeared from my parts list.  I have tracked it down to CTT tho (i removed all directorys from *.12 and loaded up *.11 that didnt have CTT and they showed up there). I have a ship that has them on it but im unable to toss em on a new ship.  Ill go over and post in near future and let him know since he does both that and CTT it looks like. Figured id say something here in case anyone else has that problem untill its resolved.

I dont know if there are any other parts that disapear, but those are the only ones that i noticed.  i tried loading up once without Hide empty tech trees and they didnt show up, so i pretty sure its related to CTT tho.

10 hours ago, Occams Chainsaw said:

We need inertial dampening for the added G-Force gameplay.  I just liquified Jeb on my new 1.2 games first FTL mission.  haha!  The flight log shows a massive G-Force structural failure.

Is this possible?

Perhaps if I can find a way of temporarily disabling the stock G-force kill switch during warp acceleration.

Edited by FreeThinker

is there a way to isolate a ship electrical system from the megajoule part? 

trying to create a solar station and have the transmitter turned down to 1 and it sucks all the ec outta everything instead of just using the megajoules. 

would assigning the megajoules resource to the powerxmitter module keep it from using ec? or would the dll stuff override everything. 

5 minutes ago, COL.R.Neville said:

is there a way to isolate a ship electrical system from the megajoule part? 

trying to create a solar station and have the transmitter turned down to 1 and it sucks all the ec outta everything instead of just using the megajoules. 

would assigning the megajoules resource to the powerxmitter module keep it from using ec? or would the dll stuff override everything. 

My first though was it should be with the existing power transmission slider, but I checked and it does not work. I fixed and and next version there will be 2 sliders, one to control reactor power transmission and a second for solar beamed power transmission.

k ill try that not using a reactor though. thats why i was asking about making just the xmitter module use megajoules as a resource once they run out it would just not xmit anything anymore until more were available but not drain the power system down to where all the radiators stop 400 million meters from the sun hehe. 

Aha, found out the problem i had.  With your change with CTT, it has moved the part i was having a error with down the tech tree.  It was the px-stat 1x4 and 1x2 panels.  there showing up for me in basic electonics and down in super duper advance electronics now.

On a new game start if shows them only in the advance electronics area now.  So all is good now.

On 21-10-2016 at 8:10 PM, Thurak said:

How does microwave transmitting work? I have not played KSPI since 0.9x days, and it has certainly changed since then. https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/wiki/Microwave-Power-Transceivers seems very outdated

Random trail and error seems to be that there are 3 different types of beam, visible, microwave, infrared. Which appear to be Gyrotron=Microwave, Free Electron=Infrared, DiodeLaser=Visible. But then most receivers don't mention which they can pick up, or what each type is good for using. The front page gives some info, although it is still not clear what each thing does, and many things ingame have old descriptions or are just blank. Also the info on the front page includes listing wave lengths in Ghz for some rows.

Yes you are right on all accounts, Beamed power is still very much in development, and documentation is  insufficient. Next update I hope to improve this and give a clearer overview off all the parts available and their advantage/disadvantages. There will still have to be a lot of balance and tweaking to be done, but I'm confident we are getting there.

Could you possibly add a simple part that acts as a very long range antenna so people can send probes and such to the stars in my mod, Constellations? At the moment, with KSP 1.2, its pretty much impossible to send anything to my stars because you need a connection to Kerbin (or Earth in my case). Part making is not really my forte, so I figured I'd pitch the idea to you.

9 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Could you possibly add a simple part that acts as a very long range antenna so people can send probes and such to the stars in my mod, Constellations? At the moment, with KSP 1.2, its pretty much impossible to send anything to my stars because you need a connection to Kerbin (or Earth in my case). Part making is not really my forte, so I figured I'd pitch the idea to you.

Well the near future plan is to add special light-sail that will be propelled by the IR laser beam network or Conventional Light Sail with UV Laser network. It should effectively allow you to accelerate probes to a fraction of light speed, allowing fly by scans through star systems in the galactic neighborhood.

Edit: Alternative solution  you can cheat by simply changing a value in the main config file

Edited by FreeThinker

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well the plan is to add special light-sail the will be propelled by the IR laser beam network or Conventional Light Sail with UV Laser network. It should effectively allow you to accelerate probes to a fraction of light speed, allowing fly by scans through star systems in the galactic neighborhood.

But that wouldn't solve the communications problem, would it?

12 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

But that wouldn't solve the communications problem, would it?

Oh, you want to use the huge dishes to act as communication transmitters, that would certainly work as well , even though that was not their main intended purpose. Their beam would be extremely narrow, and require a lot of power, but that is ideal for transmission from extra solar systems to earth. I will add them as secondary functions.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.