FreeThinker

[1.7.3/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5/1.3.1] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.23.8 Continued Development Thread

Recommended Posts

I am havin a problem with radiator's upgrades... my radiators, even in Sandbox mode, do not advance beyond mk2 but there should be up to mk5. 

Also, my maximum heat dissipation changes with the type of reactor attached to the ship. If I attach a Quantum Singularity Reactor, I get 50GW dissipation, a molten salt reactor only gets 4.3?

Sorry if I made some stupid mistake but I could't find anything about this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackline said:

Danfarnsy on page 169 mentioned a way to get rid of waste heat in favour of the stock heat system. did this venture go well? I am asking, because maybe we (other mod developers) could learn a lot from that.

Cheers

Well I experimented with stock heat, but it wasn't a big success. There is also the problem of lack of good documentation which prevents me from implementing it. But even if I make it work, there would still be the issue of timewarp

56 minutes ago, Run Seven said:

I am havin a problem with radiator's upgrades... my radiators, even in Sandbox mode, do not advance beyond mk2 but there should be up to mk5. 

Also, my maximum heat dissipation changes with the type of reactor attached to the ship. If I attach a Quantum Singularity Reactor, I get 50GW dissipation, a molten salt reactor only gets 4.3?

Sorry if I made some stupid mistake but I could't find anything about this...

Non graphite radiators only upgrade to mk2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some pictures of the upcoming models for the Magnetic Confinement Fusion Reactor (Tokamak) and Magnetized Target Fusion Reactor:

UiCMOx9.jpg

6r90NKu.jpg

Model for a Stellarator is also in progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Eleusis La Arwall said:

Here are some pictures of the upcoming models for the Magnetic Confinement Fusion Reactor (Tokamak) and Magnetized Target Fusion Reactor:

UiCMOx9.jpg

6r90NKu.jpg

Model for a Stellarator is also in progress.

Ooooo. I was also planning on doing some fusion reactors. Your fit the KSPI aesthetic much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the level of detail look superb, they kind of put the old kspi models to shame in comparison.

Just look how much the  Magnetised Target Fusion Reactor look like the real thing

gf3.png

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's space porn.

 

Sidetracking back to the subject of bugs or something I don't understand: ISRU Refinery - I'm trying to fill some Hydrogen tanks by proscecing Ore, but after filling up with LqdNitrogen the proscess shuts down. Is it intended behaviour? Can it be bypassed?

Edited by AtilaElari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AtilaElari said:

Sidetracking back to the subject of bugs or something I don't understand: ISRU Refinery - I'm trying to fill some Hydrogen tanks by proscecing Ore, but after filling up with LqdNitrogen the proscess shuts down. Is it intended behaviour? Can it be bypassed?

Well you could dump excess nitrogen and the other resources should start flowing in again

 

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh there it is. I couldn't remember the name of this mod for the life of mine. Still, it's weird that the process shuts down when one of the resources fills up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I have suggestion: Make engines while on air-breathing mode and active air scoops overheat, when going at very high speeds.

It seems to be weird that I can use Atilla or Vasmir or air scoops, when going at 10 mach and for example 15 km without them overheating.

Also radiator coolant pipes should leak some heat to parts, that are between radiators and wasteheat generators.

I don't think irl they are 100% efficient - I bet when they are transporting liquid/gas 3600 K hot you could fry something by placing something at them :P


Edit: If you downscale thermal turbojet, then it instantly overheats and explodes.

I connected it to molten salt reactor.

Here's craft: https://ufile.io/90615 - a 0.625m molten salt on uranium burnup mode powered rover. It has thermal turbojet to achieve higher speeds.

Why ARCJET is so inefficient?

I want to make small VTOL, but using 1.25. fusion reactor generating 325 MW of power arcjent on atmospheric mode only generates 4 kN of thrust.

To lift and hover my 4 ton hovercraft at 0 vertical speed I need around 40 kN - that is 40 kW of power.

 

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game seems to have trouble getting accurate burn times with the setup I am using (Atilla thruster, beam power, hydrazine). I'm sure it's hard for the game with variable ISPs and variable power inputs. Is there a straightforward way to calculate burn times with a known ISP, known thrust, and known initial mass for a particular dV? It's been 25 years since I studied physics or calculus.

I have tried using the rocket equation (with dV, ISP, and initial mass) to calculate the final mass, and then use the thrust to calaclate initial acceleration with initial mass and then acceleration at the end of the burn with the final mass.

With that info I then calculate average acceleration.  I realize this is an approximation.  Surely there must be a formula?  While it would be satisfying I think it would take me a long time to derive it so if someone would help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BBM said:

The game seems to have trouble getting accurate burn times with the setup I am using (Atilla thruster, beam power, hydrazine). I'm sure it's hard for the game with variable ISPs and variable power inputs. Is there a straightforward way to calculate burn times with a known ISP, known thrust, and known initial mass for a particular dV? It's been 25 years since I studied physics or calculus.

I have tried using the rocket equation (with dV, ISP, and initial mass) to calculate the final mass, and then use the thrust to calaclate initial acceleration with initial mass and then acceleration at the end of the burn with the final mass.

With that info I then calculate average acceleration.  I realize this is an approximation.  Surely there must be a formula?  While it would be satisfying I think it would take me a long time to derive it so if someone would help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks

For the Delta-V, you can use the good, old Tsiolkovski formula, it always works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v

For the acceleration, you can derive it to your situation using the TWR formula: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Thrust-to-weight_ratio

As a side note, with the Interstellar engines, it's difficult to have a TWR greater than one at sea level, except for the thermal engines. The electric engines are better suited to orbital maneuvers, where you don't need a great TWR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

For the Delta-V, you can use the good, old Tsiolkovski formula, it always works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v

For the acceleration, you can derive it to your situation using the TWR formula: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Thrust-to-weight_ratio

As a side note, with the Interstellar engines, it's difficult to have a TWR greater than one at sea level, except for the thermal engines. The electric engines are better suited to orbital maneuvers, where you don't need a great TWR.

I have the dV, the maneuver node tells me that when I set up the burn. I'm trying to get a more accurate burn time (the ones provided by the game are way off). I am using the Better Burn Time mod- maybe this is part of the issue?  Anyway without an accurate burn time it's hard to know when to start the burn.

The TWR can give me the instantaneous acceleration but because the mass changes a lot over a long burn, the TWR changes too.   What I have tried to do is average the initial acceleration with the final acceleration as a rough estimate but to get a better burn time number, I believe that there needs to be an integration step.  I'm pretty rusty on that stuff... It's been a while. 

Edited by BBM
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question, what does the rapier MM patch do? I've noticed rapiers were overheating since I decided to give this mod a go and removing that patch fixed that problem. So, er, does that patch do anything other than making the rapiers overheat? And why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Question, what does the rapier MM patch do? I've noticed rapiers were overheating since I decided to give this mod a go and removing that patch fixed that problem. So, er, does that patch do anything other than making the rapiers overheat? And why?

Well it has to do with the pre-coolers capacity , which have to match with the number  of intakes, otherwise, it would start to overheat at high speed

However, this functionality has been with KSPI before Stock heating was implemented, but stock heating only heats up the intakes, engine overheating is still ignored.

At least I can tell you *besides loss of realism)  no real harm will be done if you disable or remove it, since it is not used anywhere else in KSPI

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2016 at 2:33 AM, FreeThinker said:

 

Hey All I'm trying to build a microwave power network. I have done all I can think of to do but when I get something set up I don't have the option to transmit the power anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Guantar said:

Hey All I'm trying to build a microwave power network. I have done all I can think of to do but when I get something set up I don't have the option to transmit the power anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. 

You need to connect it with a Beam Generator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2016 at 9:06 AM, Eleusis La Arwall said:

Here are some pictures of the upcoming models for the Magnetic Confinement Fusion Reactor (Tokamak) and Magnetized Target Fusion Reactor:

UiCMOx9.jpg

6r90NKu.jpg

Model for a Stellarator is also in progress.

Truly beautiful, but what's the poly count on the second model?:0.0: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ev0 said:

Truly beautiful, but what's the poly count on the second model?:0.0: 

The Magnetized Target reactor has about 15K tris. The rams (cylinders around the sphere) take about 10K already.
First concepts exceeded 20K by far. In my madness I've tried 12-sided cylinders for the rams :wink: Now they are 8-sided on top and the smaller end-pipes are 4-sided "cylinders". Usually I try not to exceed 10K tris but in this case I think it's worth it.

The Tokamak and Stellarator also have about 10K tris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Eleusis La Arwall said:

The Magnetized Target reactor has about 15K tris. The rams (cylinders around the sphere) take about 10K already.
First concepts exceeded 20K by far. In my madness I've tried 12-sided cylinders for the rams :wink: Now they are 8-sided on top and the smaller end-pipes are 4-sided "cylinders". Usually I try not to exceed 10K tris but in this case I think it's worth it.

The Tokamak and Stellarator also have about 10K tris.

Doesn't KSP has a limit of 255 per part?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eleusis La Arwall said:

The Magnetized Target reactor has about 15K tris. The rams (cylinders around the sphere) take about 10K already.
First concepts exceeded 20K by far. In my madness I've tried 12-sided cylinders for the rams :wink: Now they are 8-sided on top and the smaller end-pipes are 4-sided "cylinders". Usually I try not to exceed 10K tris but in this case I think it's worth it.

The Tokamak and Stellarator also have about 10K tris.

And here i was worried when i hit around 4k on my em drive. Admittedly though mine didn't need a bazillion beam emitters. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.