KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Sure but don't forget graphene radiator don't perform well in thick atmosphere, they perform best in space

here's my secret formula for nuclear spaceplanes... I use antimatter reactors which get pretty hot... so here's what I do:

Get the winged edge medium radiators, place them INSIDE your wings.. like clip them into the wings so they just poke out the front.  maybe 3 on each side, offset up and down so you have like a stack of three inside each wing.  you'll need to tweakscale them to fit of course.
Then, put the large folding radiators on top and bottom of each wing (ie two on each wing, one ventral, one dorsal) - and disable automation so they don't extend on the ground and break on the runway.  

This gives you enough heat buffering to get into space, where you can extend the folding radiators and go from there.  You'll have 50%-75% wasteheat buildup by the time you get to orbit usually, but that's fine, you can just dump the heat in space :)

Can you please provide the projects from the models that are used in this mod? I want to modify the TORY model, its a bit too long, and I wanna make it shorter.

What programs do I need to modify or create these models?

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Sure but don't forget graphene radiator don't perform well in thick atmosphere, they perform best in space

Well its fault of AIM reactors for heating radiators to over 2000 K when using thermal turbojet - AIM reactors are far away from thermal turbojets (that will get fixed).

When I gave fusion reactors thermal generators and disabled AIM reactors altogether radiators barely heated up in atmosphere.

Also they heat up more in space than in atmosphere:

4x reduction of surface area on surface is lesser effect than no convention in space...

This means graphene radiators still work better on surface than space >.>

Is possible to cap their max temperature depending on oxygen partial pressure?

Edited by raxo2222

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

4x reduction of surface area on surface is lesser effect than no convention in space...

This means graphene radiators still work better on surface than space >.>

Is possible to cap their max temperature depending on oxygen partial pressure?

Yes, I aware of this, but next release I will further nerve graphene radiator atmospheric performance, eventualy they will be pretty useless at sea level ..You are right that I should cap their maximum temperature, but this has some nasty technical side effects which I need to get around.

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, ss8913 said:

so here's what I do:

Get the winged edge medium radiators, place them INSIDE your wings.. like clip them into the wings so they just poke out the front.  maybe 3 on each side, offset up and down so you have like a stack of three inside each wing. 

This is technically a form of cheating, which I frown on, but I'm curious, do stock heat radiators still function when inside a wing?

Regarding wings, I have some plan to add fuel storage to them, which especially with light propellant like LqdHydrogen, should make them more useful.

Edited by FreeThinker

44 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

This is technically a form of cheating, which I frown on, but I'm curious, do stock heat radiators still function when inside a wing?

Regarding wings, I have some plan to add fuel storage to them, which especially with light propellant like LqdHydrogen, should make them more useful.

1. I've literally never used stock radiators.  I've been using KSP Interstellar since before stock radiators existed, and I just kept using yours.
2. Many stock wings such as the Big-S Delta wings which I use for pretty much everything, already have fuel storage (stock) and IFS lets me put hydrazine in them, so that's what I'm doing :)  ie, I think you've already accomplished your goal here, via IFS.

What would be really useful is a scalable skin that fits over the Big-S stock wings, and acts as a radiator.

... or, dare I say it... procedural radiators?

Edited by ss8913

Issues with Tory.

I find that using two Tory engines always makes my craft unstable.

It appears to be because the amount of intake air differs between them even though they are symetrically placed. I suspect this is not intentional?

I built a test-rig consisting of fuel tank, cockpit, and two Torys. 

The tests show that even on the ground the amount of intake Atm between the two sides differ. This gets worse as velocity increases.

Screenshot shows intake atm differing by 0.2 with full throttle and stationary on the ground.

Cap1.PNG?dl=1

Edit: Oh, and the temperature also differs..

Edited by Tobbs

@Tobbs What realy count is the thrust, which are equal. The amount of intake only has a minor effect is  not actively managed by by KSPI-E, but by stock KSP. At workst it create a mass inbalance.

Edit: I might try to balance it activlely

Edited by FreeThinker

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, I aware of this, but next release I will further nerve graphene radiator atmospheric performance, eventualy they will be pretty useless at sea level ..You are right that I should cap their maximum temperature, but this has some nasty technical side effects which I need to get around.

Can we get flat version of titanium or other radiator, that can function well in oxygen-containing atmosphere?

Edited by raxo2222

9 hours ago, Tobbs said:

Issues with Tory.

I find that using two Tory engines always makes my craft unstable.

It appears to be because the amount of intake air differs between them even though they are symetrically placed. I suspect this is not intentional?

I built a test-rig consisting of fuel tank, cockpit, and two Torys. 

The tests show that even on the ground the amount of intake Atm between the two sides differ. This gets worse as velocity increases.

Screenshot shows intake atm differing by 0.2 with full throttle and stationary on the ground.

Cap1.PNG?dl=1

Edit: Oh, and the temperature also differs..

This happens with a lot of engines.  It's a roundabout way of KSP telling you that you don't have enough intakes on the craft.  Ideally the Tory's built-in intake should be sufficient for itself, but... add some more intakes and that will usually solve it.

For anyone interested and willing to help development, I uploaded a beta , KSPI-E 1.12.26 which can be downloaded from HERE

changelog:

* Added ability to switch Electric power generation priority

* Added Integrated Low-efficiency Thermal Electric Alternator which runs at idle power supply to Nuclear Propulsion Engines

* Added MHD generator lost is direct charged power converter but now have the capacity to function at maximum reactor core temperature

* Added Ability of Multi-wavelength dishes to control pivot and rotation animation state

* Added Ability of Gas Core Reactors to use UF4 or Enriched Uranium

* Balance Prioritize Reactor meant for power production, for power generation above reactors meant for propulsion

* Balance: Vista D-T fusion is now available with Fusion Rocketry

* Balance: Daedalus Fusion engine now available with Advanced Fusion

* Balance: Increased Tech requirement of Charged Particles Electric Generator to High Power Electrical Systems

* Fixed Atmospheric Composition at alien worlds

* Fixed ISRU Processes

Edited by FreeThinker

5 hours ago, ss8913 said:

This happens with a lot of engines.  It's a roundabout way of KSP telling you that you don't have enough intakes on the craft.  Ideally the Tory's built-in intake should be sufficient for itself, but... add some more intakes and that will usually solve it.

You can also throttle down to start. Once you get moving, the intakes pull in more air.

It would be nice if we had fusion turbojet/ramjet - essentially it would be one part in four: air intake + precooler + thermal fusion reactor (one that doesn't produce charged particles) and thermal turbojet/ramjet.

Of course it would need external power so fusion reactor in it could work, but it would be lighter and more heat resistant.

It would be rescalable like existing parts.

Edited by raxo2222

Ok, I'm having a little trouble installing as I do not get all the parts... I was looking for the ISRU refinery, yet it didn't seem to exist along with a lot of other parts. On install, I downloaded from Spacedock and simply dragged the folders from the GameData folder from the zip into the Gamedata Folder in the KSP Directory. I have the 000 folders, WarpPlugin, Fuelswitch and Module manager installed, every file in the Gamedata was dragged into the Gamadata in the directory, where did I go wrong...

34 minutes ago, Matchlight said:

Ok, I'm having a little trouble installing as I do not get all the parts... I was looking for the ISRU refinery, yet it didn't seem to exist along with a lot of other parts. On install, I downloaded from Spacedock and simply dragged the folders from the GameData folder from the zip into the Gamedata Folder in the KSP Directory. I have the 000 folders, WarpPlugin, Fuelswitch and Module manager installed, every file in the Gamedata was dragged into the Gamadata in the directory, where did I go wrong...

Most likely you copied the entire gamedata folder into gamdata, you should copy only the contents of the gamedata into you gamedata folder or allow it to overwite your exisitng gamedata folder

19 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Most likely you copied the entire gamedata folder into gamdata, you should copy only the contents of the gamedata into you gamedata folder or allow it to overwite your exisitng gamedata folder

I apppreciate you replying fast, but No, I did not copy the Gamadata folder in the Gamadata in the directory, I did infact copy the contents of the Gamedata into the gamedata in the directory, just like how you would install most mods...

I released another beta 1.12.27, which can be downloaded HERE

changelog:

* Added LqdAmmonia to Ammonia conversion to Refrigerator

* Balance: Reduced Graphene radiator performance in atmosphere by 50%

* Balance: Converted Inline and Radial Radiator into Convector Radiators, giving them extremely well performance in atmospheres

* Fixed bundled Persistent Rotation folder structure

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

Release another beta 1.12.27, which can be downloaded here

changelog:

* Balance: Reduced Graphene radiator performance in atmosphere by 50%

* Balance: Converted Inline and Radiator Radiator into Convector Radiators, giving them extremely well performance in atmospheres

* Fixed bundled Persistent Rotation folder structure

I'm sorry? I don't understand...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.