KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Solar Wind processing in ISRU refrigerator suffers the same problem Regolith processing had a few releases ago: not working although having plenty of power and room for all the products, power requirement is written as 20/40MW.

I can't upload a screenshot right now but will add one when possible.

3 hours ago, kermand said:

Solar Wind processing in ISRU refrigerator suffers the same problem Regolith processing had a few releases ago: not working although having plenty of power and room for all the products, power requirement is written as 20/40MW.

I can't upload a screenshot right now but will add one when possible.

Not sure what is the problem

z3PHz7U.png

At least for me it worked with the latest beta with overflow enabled

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

At least for me it worked with the latest beta with overflow enabled

I see what i did wrong : i was expecting gaseous Hydrogen, not liquid, so i had the wrong tank on. Thank you.

I managed to extract the followings:

Liquid Hydrogen, liquid Nitrogen, liquid Helium3, liquid Deuterieum, liquid Carbon Monoxide, Gaseous Helium 4.

Sadly, although i have a tank for Neon, i don't get any. I can't find a tank for liquid Neon (not even sure it is a thing for a noble gas).

855F6078425E7FFA6C3350A4CDC479624E9C7765

Edited by kermand

I have compressed air and a ISRU convertor on board to turn it into intake atmosphere, but as soon as it engages, all 50,000 units of the compressed air appear to vanish or are immediately consumed. (I cannot tell which).  I'm not sure what is causing this behavior, is it normal? Am I just using too little compressed air? I know normal intake atmosphere only consumes about 1-3 per second so I thought this seems abnormal.

thermal ramjet directly connected to reactor overheats both on atmosphere(precoolers in place!) and on hydrogen

thermal turbojet on same plane connected indirectly(only through mk2 bicoupler) to same reactor don't overheats in same conditions (on both fuels).

fcfwF0P.jpg

also thermal launch nozzle don't want to switch to lox propellant.

p.s. still waiting when ramjet would work correctly on high speed - it's thrust should be limited only by atmosphere (from intake) presents (no speed curve, no altitude curve!)

and probably precoolers should drain power and produce wasteheat in case highspeed atmosphere, on high speed drag (from intakes and other parts) should become greater than ramjet thrust(which is constant while intakes gives enough atmosphere)

AIAA-2010-1125.pdf  (fig 5. there)

Edited by okder

practically it's very easy to prevent overheating of thermal nozzle on cryogenic fuel - just pump more fuel, this will cause loss of isp(and so internal temperature) and improvement of thurst (due to energy conservation).

P.S. non reagent cryogenic fuel i mean, i.e. no afterburner, or other chemical reactions in nozzle.

Edited by okder

On 5/21/2017 at 3:41 PM, okder said:

thermal ramjet directly connected to reactor overheats both on atmosphere(precoolers in place!) and on hydrogen

this behavior highly depends on tech researched, and on conditions in which plane was before that situation,

with all tech researched problems with critical overhearing on ascend stage gone, but after i did return from orbit (5600 m/s in my case, none of equipment was destroyed only nose parachute and capsule was very hot (75% of critical temp)) and restarted engines near surface at 300 m/s all air breathing engines started to critically overheats (almost same plane, different wings and fuel bays, twice less intakes, but also no precooler for back intakes for vertical landing).

Edited by okder

Is there any chance that at some point in the future we might get a sort of 'Scifi mode' where wasteheat is easily dealt with by super buffed radiators? Like, I get it, there are certain physics barriers to how effective a radiator could possibly be, but having a warp craft that is surrounded on all sides by 8x10meter umbrella radiators all clipping together just isn't *cool* ya know? Obviously doing it realistically with MANY small radiators or a really long 'antenna' of them just wouldn't work because of performance issues in ksp, so at some point you just have to do it in as  few parts as possible, and it just kinda feels dumb when you do it that way.

13 minutes ago, Jumberlack said:

Is there any chance that at some point in the future we might get a sort of 'Scifi mode'

i think more correctly just make that warpdrive consumes antimatter and much less amount of energy.

1 hour ago, Jumberlack said:

Is there any chance that at some point in the future we might get a sort of 'Scifi mode' where wasteheat is easily dealt with by super buffed radiators? Like, I get it, there are certain physics barriers to how effective a radiator could possibly be, but having a warp craft that is surrounded on all sides by 8x10meter umbrella radiators all clipping together just isn't *cool* ya know? Obviously doing it realistically with MANY small radiators or a really long 'antenna' of them just wouldn't work because of performance issues in ksp, so at some point you just have to do it in as  few parts as possible, and it just kinda feels dumb when you do it that way.

There are technically 2 strategies which could limit the surface amount of radiator to a minimum: minimize the amount of washeat in the first place, which means making reactors and power consumers more efficient. second is to have layered washeat management where most of the washeat is first run though radiators at maximum temperature and power production wasteheat is handled on a seperate set of radiators, this would minimize the amount of radiators and make power production more efficient. Regarding the warp drives, I'm considering making the upgraded warp drive more efficient rather than being more powerfull, that way, you would need much less radiators and become more SciFi

Edited by FreeThinker

31 minutes ago, Sokar408 said:

Why is universal storage needed for this mod? CKAN won't let me install Interstellar without it, but I don't see any why it would necessary

Technically, you are partly correct as it only requires IFS core which it uses for the ISRU auto converter for gassification or liquidfication of resources

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Technically, you are partly correct as it only requires IFS core which it uses for the ISRU auto converter for gassification or liquidfication of resources

So deleting all the parts in a mm patch would be fine?

17 minutes ago, Sokar408 said:

So deleting all the parts in a mm patch would be fine?

everything except ResourceFix  can be deleted, removing the integration patches is probably enough to solve you problem. I intend to change the CKAN config file after 1.3 compatibility patch

Edited by FreeThinker

I uploaded a Beta Version of KSPI-E 1.14 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.0 which can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-05-27

• compiled against KSP 1.3
  • updated CRP to 0.7
  • updated Tweakscale to KSP 1.3 compatible version
  • updated filter extension to KSP 1.3 compatible version
  • Balance: Replace KerpSteinDrive fuel LithiumDeuteride by LithiumHydride
  • Balance: Beam Core Antimatter reactor requires both antimatter and hydrogen (liquid or gas) to function

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I uploaded a Beta Version of KSPI-E 1.14 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.0 which can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-05-27

• compiled against KSP 1.3
  • updated CRP to 0.7
  • updated Tweakscale to KSP 1.3 compatible version
  • updated filter extension to KSP 1.3 compatible version
  • Balance: Replace KerpSteinDrive fuel LithiumDeuteride by LithiumHydride
  • Balance: Beam Core Antimatter reactor requires both antimatter and hydrogen (liquid or gas) to function

can we put hydrogen into the antimatter tank as well, so we can have equal amounts of both on board?

more about overheat bug:

thermal nozzles engines stop's cooling by conventional ksp methods (incorrect heat transfer to radiators, or other parts) when in high speed atmosphere (even if it very sparce on edge of space) engine is enabled (hydrogen usage), i.e. temperature does not lowers, but temperature of other (connected) modules grows.

Bata Version 1.14.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.0 which can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-05-29

• Updated Tweakscale to official 1.3 release (1.3.6)
  • Improved GUI Kerbstein drive to show required power in vAB and in flght
  • Balance improved mass scaling Kerbstein (to expoment 2.5)
  • Fixed premature exploding antimatter tank due to initial geeforce spike at launch
Edited by FreeThinker

9 hours ago, ShadyAct said:

Is there a real-life equivalent for 'Wall to Beam Power'?

It is often mentioned in plans for beamed power as a shortcut to represent the effective final percentage of power of grid power that is convert into beamed power (for clarification there are often any intermediate conversion steps)

8 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Basically it makes surface ISRU resource gathering much easier, just activate the drill and start collecting raw resources!!

There's more saltwater in the dirt than dirt :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.