KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Uploaded beta 1.14.7 which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added Replaced Proprietary Acceleration mechanic by stock mechanic, making more compatible with other KSP control tools

* Added Increased Thermal/Nuclear Turbo engine acceleration depending on connected reactor and unlocked jet engine technology

* Added x2 and 3x extended Graphene Wrapper for reduced part count

* Fixed thermal engine power starvation problem

Uploaded beta 1.14.9 which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added Gravity  Breaking to Alcubiere warpdrive which allow momentum reduction when dropping out of warp near celestial bodies

* Added improved maneuverability for Alcubiere warpdrive during warp

* Balance : Reduced minimum warp speed Alcubiere warpdrive to 1/1000 of speed of light

* Fixed unexpected dropping out of Alcubiere warp when increasing speed higher than available power

* Fixed Power buffer drain during  Alcubiere warp charging

Uploaded a new release of KSP 1.14.10 which currently can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added Gravity  Breaking to Alcubiere warpdrive which allow momentum reduction when dropping out of warp near celestial bodies

* Added improved maneuverability for Alcubiere warpdrive during warp

* Balance : Reduced minimum warp speed Alcubiere warpdrive to 1/1000 of speed of light

* Fixed unexpected dropping out of Alcubiere warp when increasing speed higher than available power

* Fixed Power buffer drain during  Alcubiere warp charging

* Fixed Power unbalance on vessels with multiple active antimatter reactors

If anyone interested, I like to hear what you think of the alcubiere gravity breaking mechanics. I have some plans to make it even better by improving the interface and add jump beacon which you can use to home in the warp vessel into a particular orbit, rather then the adjusted initial momentum you start with.

Edited by FreeThinker

23 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

If anyone interested, I like to hear what you think of the alcubiere gravity breaking mechanics. I have some plans to make it even better by improving the interface and add jump beacon which you can use to home in the warp vessel into a particular orbit, rather then the adjusted initial momentum you start with.

I tried yesterday to warp from kerbin to galene, in IA revived. Well, I came as near as I can to Galene before running out of power at low warp speed. Resulting orbit was a 43km/sec escape orbit from the starsystem.

I must have missed something here....

32 minutes ago, Ciro1983811 said:

I tried yesterday to warp from kerbin to galene, in IA revived. Well, I came as near as I can to Galene before running out of power at low warp speed. Resulting orbit was a 43km/sec escape orbit from the starsystem.

Gravity breaking currently works best with big airless planets, as it allows you to get very close to the surface to maximise the gravity effect. Ideally, you fly into deep crater or sink hole to cancel all speed. But I admit it might need some tweaking and balancing

32 minutes ago, Ciro1983811 said:

I must have missed something here....

Note you can repeat the gravity breaking by first jumping out of the SOI into system space and jump back to Galene

Edited by FreeThinker

Uploaded a new beta that addresses the main issues of the previous beta and can be downloaded from here for evaluation

Changelog

* Added Display Expected Exit speed during warp travel

* Added improved collision prevention at high warp speeds

* Added Dynamic Reaction wheel bones strength during warp travel based on mass to warp ratio

* Fixed extreme slowdown when warp-drive is forced to slow down while insufficient power

@FreeThinker

Hey FreeThinker, I got my Visual Studio to work and got a little more experience with C# under my belt, and I was thinking of adding some things to KSP-I that I have been wanting, and wanted to run it by you to see if it's something you'd be interested in putting in the mod for everyone.

There's two things I want to do,

1.) Add a toggle option to the anti-matter collector so it can also collect anti-hydrogen as well as anti-matter.

2.) A double and triple stack of the capacitor, for reducing part counts on larger ships. I would basically just go into blender and copy the model and make a double and triple stack.

On a similar note, my attempts to add the anti-Hydrogen into  "KSP-Interstellar-Extended/FNPlugin/InterstellarResourcesConfiguration.cs" did make it successfully gather anti-hydrogen, but it also made the reactors not use anti-matter or anti-hydrogen. Is this because of the method you used to implement anti-hydrogen as a variant of antimatter? Since I haven't been able to wrap my head around how you are implementing anti-hydrogen, could you suggest some advice on how to add in anti-hydrogen so that I can call it with these two,

-   PartResourceLibrary.Instance.GetDefinition(InterstellarResourcesConfiguration.Instance.AntiHydrogen);

and

-   part.RequestResource()

If you're interested, I can make my commits and pull requests to the GitHub when I'm finished.:D

15 hours ago, Chase842 said:

1.) Add a toggle option to the anti-matter collector so it can also collect anti-hydrogen as well as anti-matter.

Although I appreciate your initiative, adding an option to collect antihydrogen directly from space, is not the right direction as I already explained antihydrogen and antimatter are essentially the same matter except for beeing in a different state. Instead, it should harvest (a new resource called) antiprotons which must be first cool down before they can be combined with (another new resource called ) positrons to create antimatter/antihydrogen. That would be the correct way to do it, but I was waiting for the implementation until an artist would provide be with a suitable set op models.

15 hours ago, Chase842 said:

2.) A double and triple stack of the capacitor, for reducing part counts on larger ships. I would basically just go into blender and copy the model and make a double and triple stack.

I like your idea, but wouldn't it be a far more practical implementation to simply create a part with the capacitator stacked by making multiple model references. This is easy and save disk space. This is how I made several parts already like the truss parts and skin radiator

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello folks,

I'm actually having a problem in career-mode with the TORY Nuclear Ramjet Engine: I'm unable to get it working, it always states: Flame out! and Air-combustion failed. On top of this, I can't change the fuel/propellant that is used, neither in VAB/SPH nor on the runway/launchpad. Also there is no difference between no relative speed and speeds exceeding 20m/s. I tried it in sandbox-mode only with a MK1 pod an 2 Radiator Panles (Large) and it worked just fine on atmospher, hydrogen and liquid fuel as propellant. Why not in career-mode? What do I miss?

Here is also a list of all mods installed/managed with ckan:

• Community Category Kit
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Community Tech Tree
  • Easy Vessel Switch (EVS)
  • Filter Extension - Plugin
  • Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch Core
  • Kerbal Attachment System
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • Kerbal Inventory System
  • Kerbal Planetary Base Systems
  • KSP Interstellar Extended
  • MechJeb 2
  • Module Manager
  • TwakScale - Rescale Everyhing!
  • Universal Storage

I just unlocked the Nuclear Propulsion after both requirements (Heavier Rocketry and Advanced Fuelsystems) were met.

I hope anyone can help me with that.

New feature:Warp Control Interface

Nizwt63.png

Charge up

onLXjvo.png

Activate warp

UqZfZwO.png

Speed up to maximum warp in the orbital view, maneuver arround sun and reduce speed when approaching our destination

F2OxLVS.png

Drop out of warp at the right moment end end up in in orbit around our destination.

Edited by FreeThinker

You can play with the new interface in the latest beta which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added new dialog: Warp Control Interface

* Balance doubled number of warp speed steps

* Fixed display Surface gravity unit of measure

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

You can play with the new interface in the latest beta which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added new dialog: Warp Control Interface

* Balance doubled number of warp speed steps

* Fixed display Surface gravity unit of measure

Great work, i'll try it now.

Maybe the warp drive would benefit of a little graphical revamp to the warp effect. I know you are not a graphical artist... Maybe if @RoverDude agree, you could use the warp bubble effect of his standalone warp drive... that's wonderful ...

3 hours ago, Geestbiker said:

Hello folks,

I'm actually having a problem in career-mode with the TORY Nuclear Ramjet Engine: I'm unable to get it working, it always states: Flame out! and Air-combustion failed. On top of this, I can't change the fuel/propellant that is used, neither in VAB/SPH nor on the runway/launchpad. Also there is no difference between no relative speed and speeds exceeding 20m/s. I tried it in sandbox-mode only with a MK1 pod an 2 Radiator Panles (Large) and it worked just fine on atmospher, hydrogen and liquid fuel as propellant. Why not in career-mode? What do I miss?

Here is also a list of all mods installed/managed with ckan:

• Community Category Kit
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Community Tech Tree
  • Easy Vessel Switch (EVS)
  • Filter Extension - Plugin
  • Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch Core
  • Kerbal Attachment System
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • Kerbal Inventory System
  • Kerbal Planetary Base Systems
  • KSP Interstellar Extended
  • MechJeb 2
  • Module Manager
  • TwakScale - Rescale Everyhing!
  • Universal Storage

I just unlocked the Nuclear Propulsion after both requirements (Heavier Rocketry and Advanced Fuelsystems) were met.

I hope anyone can help me with that.

In order to run in non atmospheric mode (like liquid fuel) you also need to have unlocked advanced nuclear propulsion

13 hours ago, Ciro1983811 said:

Maybe the warp drive would benefit of a little graphical revamp to the warp effect. I know you are not a graphical artist... Maybe if @RoverDude agree, you could use the warp bubble effect of his standalone warp drive... that's wonderful ...

That  seems unlikely, but even if he allowed it there are some balance problems as Roverdude warp buble is one of the main mechanism to balance his warp mod to some degree as the warp vessel needs to stay inside the bubble. Instead I might opt to integrate the warp effects by IWDS, which largely based on KSPI.  I will admit he inspired me to improve KSPIE alcubiere interface, which was honestly quite awkward to use. But given the fact that there is virtual no positive feedback from my latest inprovment to the Alcubier drive, I think my time is better spend improving other aspects of KSPIE.

Edited by FreeThinker

20 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

In order to run in non atmospheric mode (like liquid fuel) you also need to have unlocked advanced nuclear propulsion

You mean the Improved Nuclear Propulsion for 550 science points? Because it isn't even possible to run the TORY in atmospheric mode.

22 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

That  seems unlikely, but even if he allowed it there are some balance problems as Roverdude warp buble is one of the main mechanism to balance his warp mod to some degree as the warp vessel needs to stay inside the bubble. Instead I might opt to integrate the warp effects by IWDS, which largely based on KSPI.  I will admit he inspired me to improve KSPIE alcubiere interface, which was honestly quite awkward to use. But given the fact that there is virtual no positive feedback from my latest inprovment to the Alcubier drive, I think my time is better spend improving other aspects of KSPIE.

This will be a great improvement in graphics effect too.

Personally I think that last upgrades in warp mechanics are great, but I agree with you that kspi-e excels in realistic and near future technologies, and warp drive is just the candy at the end of the effort of developing all the techtree.

@FreeThinker
Hi there,
a while ago someone asked you about the NFE patch and you answered that you will upscale the performance of that mod to KSP-IE but until then, how do I manually disable the downscaling to NFE levels?
I want to use both mods but don't want to run 2x8t ramjet engines on a plane to only get 0.5 TWR when with a panther jet engine I can get like 3xTWR. Besides that, kerbal engineer freaks out because the scaling probably happens after it's calculations giving me wrong predictions.
Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, Pake said:

@FreeThinker
Hi there,
a while ago someone asked you about the NFE patch and you answered that you will upscale the performance of that mod to KSP-IE but until then, how do I manually disable the downscaling to NFE levels?
I want to use both mods but don't want to run 2x8t ramjet engines on a plane to only get 0.5 TWR when with a panther jet engine I can get like 3xTWR. Besides that, kerbal engineer freaks out because the scaling probably happens after it's calculations giving me wrong predictions.
Thanks in advance.

Trust in both case should be equal. You should expect the same performance with or without NFE .If it doesn't it a bug which should be fixed

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Trust in both case should be equal. You should expect the same performance with or without NFE .If it doesn't it a bug which should be fixed

Then probably my understanding of how the ramjet works or how the patch affects KSP-IE is wrong. 
I thought that ramjet engines got their thrust from thermal power and the patch scaled any kind of power produced by reactors by a factor of 500. So if my ramjet produces 1.33MW insted of 640MW (in game display), then I get less thrust.
Where I am wrong?

6 minutes ago, Pake said:

Then probably my understanding of how the ramjet works or how the patch affects KSP-IE is wrong. 
I thought that ramjet engines got their thrust from thermal power and the patch scaled any kind of power produced by reactors by a factor of 500. So if my ramjet produces 1.33MW insted of 640MW (in game display), then I get less thrust.
Where I am wrong?

In the alternate dimension of of KSP / NF , electric engines require about about 500 times less times of power that they should have to produce the trust they do. In NF both power production as power consumption is reduced by 500. The performance should be the same, just the numbers are lower. This allows you to use a KSPI reactor with a NFelectric engine in fair manner, otherwise a tiny nuclear reactor would enough power to power 100 times the engines you would normaly be.

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, Ciro1983811 said:

Personally I think that last upgrades in warp mechanics are great, but I agree with you that kspi-e excels in realistic and near future technologies, and warp drive is just the candy at the end of the effort of developing all the techtree.

True but a large part of KSPIE players only play in Sandbox mode, so it makes sense to give some extra attention to endgame tech, which supposes to make feats possible which were unobtainable before.

Although functionality and user friendliness trump eye candy, you cannot go without good looks either

Edited by FreeThinker

I uploaded an fixed version of the latest beta 1.14.13, which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Included Recompiled version of hanger extension

* Balance: Increased gravity breaking area of effect for of high gravity planets

* Fixed Alcubiere drive ability to correctly start, stop and change speed during time acceleration

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.