KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

3 hours ago, dlrk said:

Hey, got a couple questions about other solar system mods for KSPI.

What is the best, or recommended, mod for adding a new solar system to KSP, to travel to using KSPI's parts? Can one be added to an existing save?

I have only tried one but thus far I think its awesome.  Its the OPM mod (Outer Planets Mod) and it adds Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus analogs with Moons.  The travel time using conventional rockets can be several decades long (the farthest is ~35 to 100 years) and just begs for some KSPI love.  I was able to remove it and put it back in once without loosing anything.  Just have to make sure you dont have any ships around the OPM planets or the stock Eeloo (cause it gets moved by the mod) and back up your save first.  Be aware that most if not all popular planet packs depend on the Kopernicus mod which is version locked.  When KSP updates you will not be able to use the planet pack until Kopernicus is updated.

nuYvn8O.png

Edited by Uberns

3 hours ago, dlrk said:

Hey, got a couple questions about other solar system mods for KSPI.

What is the best, or recommended, mod for adding a new solar system to KSP, to travel to using KSPI's parts? Can one be added to an existing save?

Take a look at "To Boldly Go" it procedurally generates an entire galaxy. The mod is still in early development, but gets my vote for best new mod for sure. 

3 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

Take a look at "To Boldly Go" it procedurally generates an entire galaxy. The mod is still in early development, but gets my vote for best new mod for sure. 

Looks interesting yes :)  there's also interstellar adventure continued, w h iChat isn't related to this mod but adds some .. farther stuff as well.

Still having problems with ftl speeds over 6.3c and time warp above 100x though... without persistent rotation it's less catastrophic but I'm still mysteriously losing parts off the ship in transit with nothing logged.  Might be an old issue, never need to use time warp much with ftl if staying within the kerbol system... now that I am, it's biting me in the butt.

Version 1.11.19 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-01-17

• Added Hybrid Wings (credits to Charon Moloch) which are wings that at the same time can also function as fixed radiator or as a thermal receiver
  • Added Regolith mining (Replacing surface SolarWind mining) which can be processed to useful resources including Helium3 (credits to EvilGeorge)
  • Added support for To Boldly Go, a procedural galaxy generator
  • Fixed a bug which prevented any beamed power receiver not to function correctly after undocking
  • Fixed configs of several beamed power receivers, possibly preventing them from operating as designed
  • Fixed connection between reactor and thermal nozzle
Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker, are you interested in combining with 

it would make scientific progress with kspie  and science lab less cheating, currently lab code has no options, but i could add them as required, for example more speed for kspie lab, or slightly more bonus.

3 hours ago, Chase842 said:

I haven't seen any containers that hold regolith, am I missing something here?  On another note, the drills, do indeed mine regolith, but have no where to put it.

:) 

@EvilGeorge Perhaps we forgot something?

Edit: I checked and there should be at least a Regolith storage on the drill and on the ISRU part ...

Edited by FreeThinker

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Liquid5n0w said:

Hydrogen is the reference propellant in KSPI, xenon is generally avoided for very poor ISP.  Give it a shot with Hydrogen as well.

Ok I gave LqdHydrogen a try with the ATILLA. Thrust is significantly reduced, but ISP is about 10x improved (~3500) still the tank of ~6000 units drains in just a few minutes  (just over 5 according to KER) Im still not sure that is right, but it is more manageable. LqdNitrogen provides similar thrust to xenon and ISP close to hydrogen, but limits which tanks can be used. 

With some design changes I have managed to produce a small craft with enough dV to transport 3 kerbals almost anywhere in the solar system, and land on several moons, before returning. 

56 minutes ago, Aaron Also said:

Ok I gave LqdHydrogen a try with the ATILLA. Thrust is significantly reduced, but ISP is about 10x improved (~3500) still the tank of ~6000 units drains in just a few minutes  (just over 5 according to KER) Im still not sure that is right, but it is more manageable. LqdNitrogen provides similar thrust to xenon and ISP close to hydrogen, but limits which tanks can be used. 

With some design changes I have managed to produce a small craft with enough dV to transport 3 kerbals almost anywhere in the solar system, and land on several moons, before returning. 

LqdHydrogen gives the best ISP, but being not so dense at all, you need bigger tanks to hold enough of it.

On 5-1-2017 at 8:03 PM, ss8913 said:

Hm. It has an intake when it's first.unlocked in career... but the updated version seems to remove.the intake :(  that's what I'm seeing in my career game with it, anyway.

mm, that part is just mend as a placeholder (in the past), from which I removed most of them, apparently I forgot about a few

On 16-1-2017 at 11:30 PM, Uberns said:

I have only tried one but thus far I think its awesome.  Its the OPM mod (Outer Planets Mod) and it adds Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus analogs with Moons.  The travel time using conventional rockets can be several decades long (the farthest is ~35 to 100 years) and just begs for some KSPI love.  I was able to remove it and put it back in once without loosing anything.  Just have to make sure you dont have any ships around the OPM planets or the stock Eeloo (cause it gets moved by the mod) and back up your save first.  Be aware that most if not all popular planet packs depend on the Kopernicus mod which is version locked.  When KSP updates you will not be able to use the planet pack until Kopernicus is updated.

nuYvn8O.png

Well with the new persistent trust feature of electric engines, this should be very feasible, but you do have to unlearn standard tactic of using huffman transfer which simply take way too long. You should at least spend double the delta V when planning a planet interception course, and subsequently spend double to get into orbit. That way your vessel will not slow down to a crawl when it approaches your target planet.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Well with the new persistent trust feature of electric engines, this should be very feasible, but you do have to unlearn standard tactic of using huffman transfer which simply take way too long. You should at least spend double the delta V when planning a planet interception course, and subsequently spend double to get into orbit. That way your vessel will not slow down to a crawl when it approaches your target planet.

The other way to go is to use the MechJeb transfer calculator, but instead of using minimal dV, just change the transfer time to be much shorter and it will calculate a transfer window in that transfer time using much more dV than an ideal Hohmann.

10 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@EvilGeorge Perhaps we forgot something?

Edit: I checked and there should be at least a Regolith storage on the drill and on the ISRU part ...

Yep, sorry about that :confused:

I've already fixed that in my branch (added regolith storage capability to ore containers), it just hasn't found it's way into the master because I am still working on something related to this.

Hey everybody,

Just wondering how people are managing their beamed power networks/crafts without Infernal Robotics. Are we limited to using the wide angle receivers and/or stick antennae in all directions on our beam powered craft? My first playthrough with KSPI, so I could be missing something basic.

14 hours ago, Swedishish said:

Hey everybody,

Just wondering how people are managing their beamed power networks/crafts without Infernal Robotics. Are we limited to using the wide angle receivers and/or stick antennae in all directions on our beam powered craft? My first playthrough with KSPI, so I could be missing something basic.

KSPI-E support a wide range of receivers but regarding direction coverage we can make the following classes

• Static Dishes have the most narrow direct. They only work  if you point it in the right direct with about 90% variance (an example is the radial thermal dish receiver)
  • Static Flat Surfaces have up a 180% receival but at steep angle the receival is very bad (example include the Phased Arrays)
  • Single Pivoting / Cone shaped receiver have a 360 degree receive in one axis but from the sides it can become 0 (a explode is Thermal/Solar Pivoting receiver )
  • Double Pivoting / Spherical shaped receiver has a 320 degree coverage in 2 axes, but is has a blind spot from the back

Although static receiver have a much more narrow receiving coverage, they are generally significantly lower in mass, making them the ideal choice if you wish to maximize receiver strength

Experienced player  could potentialy improve the coverage of the static receiver using the pivot from Infernal Robotics, but they have to aim it manually

Edited by FreeThinker

I am getting annoying with the ram up time when lighting the nuclear engines because of how it affects the KER and Mechjeb calculations.  The specific engine I'm looking at is the gascoreengine.

I have found where in its cfg to turn off the buoyancy effects(which I am leaving on), but I really don't like how the ISP changes and the max thrust calc changes in the first two seconds the engine goes full throttle.  Is there a way I can change my config so on full throttle it keeps the same ISP the whole time while it ramps up?  or is it totally dependent on the reactor core temp which takes time to ramp?

Hey guys ! 

I was flying my testcraft and i tried, to launch the warp drive. It charge, charge, charge, and juste before 100 % (99.80 % i saw) All the charge does poof and i have to restart the load,, to get the same result. 

I would be very happy if i can visit all these beautiful planets with my "stickcraft".

here is a screenshot from my game (no integrated, sorry , click the link)

http://pasteboard.co/2p74mTidJ.png

Could someone experience with KSPIE create a bunch of example craft for me which I can include in the download package

The goal is to give inexperienced players some good example on how to use KSPIE parts correctly Preferable the craft file consists only out of stock and KSPI-E parts.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.