KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

I figured something was missing from the VISTA Engine, something big

VISTA is the Vehicle of Interplanetary Space Transport Application, from a study by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. It looks like a tiny flying saucer in the diagrams but it is actually freaking huge. Blasted spacecraft is taller than Godzilla.

Tiny pellets with a deuterium-tritium compount core surrounded by about 50 grams of propellant drop out of the bottom of the cone. At the pellet target position a battery of laser modules zap the pellet with enough energy to initiate a fusion explosion. The propellant blast bounces off the 12-Tesla superconducting magnetic coil to provide thrust. Thrust is throttled by varying the pellet detonation rate from 0 to 30 detonations per second.

With 100 metric tons of payload, VISTA can travel to Mars and back to Terra in six months flat.

Unfortunately about 75% of the fusion energy is wasted, creating no thrust (escaping as neutrons and x-rays). But the remaining 25% is more than powerful enough to give the ship 200 kilometers per second of delta V. The spacecraft is shaped like a cone in an attempt to minimize how much of the wasted energy hits the ship as deadly radiation (only about 4% of the wasted energy irradates the spacecraft).

Considering the Vista Produces 1100 kN at 15500 isp, it means it's effective Thrust power must be 83.64 GW . The amount of Energy produced in neutrons/x-rays is 3 times as that meaning 250.92 GW in Deadly Neutrons and X-Rays is produced! Thanks to the Wedge shape of the Vista Engines, only 4% is the engine, meaning 0.04 * 250.92 = 10.04 GW is generated in WasteHeat !!

Edited by FreeThinker

[h=2]Version 0.9.8 for Kerbal Space Program 0.90[/h] Released on 2015-04-26

• The Fusion generated by the Vista Engine now creates 10 GW Wasteheat from Neutron exposure
  • Added Large Heat-sink to Vista Engine
  • When Insufficient power for the Vista Engine, fusion will be proportional to the Forth Power
  • Allows more parts to be free scaled

Does this mean I won't see tanks magically refilling?
Correct and it now also works in the VAB, which means you can fill your tanks to specific level, save it, load it and it should be the same again. If you want to sane on fuel cost, you can even start with empty tanks, suck the moist out of the air with an atmospheric scoop and convert it to Hydrogen and Oxygen with your Refinery. Off course this will require some time when you have a lot of tanks ...

Hello, sorry for my English. I really appreciate your work with this mod.

But I have a small problem with it and Near Future. All reactors are scaled down from GW to MW, but not the ATILA and Vista. They still want enormous power and produce large amounts of heat (vista) which can not be handled with scaled down radiators.

Thermal rocket nozzle and thermal turbojet appear normal, but magnetic nozzle provides enormous amounts of thrust: 2,5m Fussion reactor (6 MW charged particles) + 2,5 magnetic nozzle = 28 195 kN (3,75 parts provide over 100k kN).

If it helps, I also have FAR, B9 and MKS installed.

I figured something was missing from the VISTA Engine, something big

Considering the Vista Produces 1100 kN at 15500 isp, it means it's effective Thrust power must be 83.64 GW . The amount of Energy produced in neutrons/x-rays is 3 times as that meaning 250.92 GW in Deadly Neutrons and X-Rays is produced! Thanks to the Wedge shape of the Vista Engines, only 4% is the engine, meaning 0.04 * 250.92 = 10.04 GW is generated in WasteHeat !!

Wouldn't the impacting neutrons themselves provide thrust? It wouldn't be a lot compared to the rest of the reaction, but it's still 10GW of neutrons.

Edited by Thorbane

Hello, sorry for my English. I really appreciate your work with this mod.

But I have a small problem with it and Near Future. All reactors are scaled down from GW to MW, but not the ATILA and Vista. They still want enormous power and produce large amounts of heat (vista) which can not be handled with scaled down radiators.

Thermal rocket nozzle and thermal turbojet appear normal, but magnetic nozzle provides enormous amounts of thrust: 2,5m Fussion reactor (6 MW charged particles) + 2,5 magnetic nozzle = 28 195 kN (3,75 parts provide over 100k kN).

If it helps, I also have FAR, B9 and MKS installed.

Good points, I will fix it. Remmeber, it's actualy reports like this which help the Mod get's developed. I simply don't have the time to test everything myself.

[h=2]Version 0.9.9 for Kerbal Space Program 0.90[/h] Released on 2015-04-27

• Fixed minor issue of the InterstellarFuelSwitch. switching in the VAB will always set default amount
  • Vista Engine scaled for NTF/ SETI KW Mode , requiring less power and producing mush less wasteheat
  • Electric Engines scaled for NTF/ SETI KW Mode
  • Atmospheric scoop addaped for NTF/ SETI KW Mode, requiring less power
  • Atmospheric scoop will not consume power when there is no storage room

[h=2]Version 0.9.10 for Kerbal Space Program 0.90[/h] Released on 2015-04-27

• Added Neon an Krypton as electric propellants
  • Added Stack and Radial Interstellar Gas Tank which can switch between several gas resources
  • Updating cost/density of resources to CRP 2.0

Thank you for quick fix, but still some problems with vista.

It consumes any amounts of liquid deuterium and liquid trtitium instantly and shows something like NaNM/2400 in resourse window.

Engine reports Status: Flame-out, Cause:LqdTritium deprived. Deuterium/Tritium Cryostats show that they have NaN/600 but with full green bar.

For experiment I tried to have multiple cryostats, several of them were disabled in VAB, but after start of the engine any tank with these resources shows NaN. (even a tank of a fusion reactor).

And again something about ATILA and Plasma engine. I see that they provide their thrust based on original interstellar values but i play with Near Future mods and my reactors are scaled down.

For example interstellar wiki on github says that plasma engine provide 0.0131 kN per megawatt with liquid hydrogen and it's exactly what i see ingame.

I tested plasma engine with 3.75 antimatter reactor + 3.75 generator. They provide 550.8 megawatt and engine has thrust of 7.21 kN. (550.8*0.0131=7.21548).

However limits on these engines are not scaled too and still allow me to put in 15 and 25 GW respectively for 1.25 modules.

So this provides integration between KSP-I and all NFT mods like your old KSPI-NFT Integration mod did? It still changes all the NFT reactors and stuff to function as KSP-I reactors/generators?

So this provides integration between KSP-I and all NFT mods like your old KSPI-NFT Integration mod did? It still changes all the NFT reactors and stuff to function as KSP-I reactors/generators?

Yes, and similar to KSPI-NFT, you receive some bonusses allowing you to have more fair performance

Yes, and similar to KSPI-NFT, you receive some bonusses allowing you to have more fair performance

Where are the cfgs to change the NFT stuff?

I see in the Resources folder there is a NFTEnginesFix cfg but it seams to only change the NFT engines to use Megajoules when NFT-E isn't installed and make a few changes to the KSP-I engines to use NFT engine effects.

Tech tree modding is now doable via stock. the stock techtree file is at:

\Squad\Resources\TechTree.cfg

MM FTW

EDIT:

look at \Squad\Resources\Ore.cfg - stock support for by-biome resources. looks like it will integrate (hopefully) seamlessly with Kopernicus, too.

Edited by ABZB

I hope you people have made a backup because updating to 1.0 is going to take a while. I'm getting lot's off build errors. Many of the old Ksp properties/methods are no longer available

Edit: Alright, Things are compiling again

Edited by FreeThinker

[h=2]Version 0.9.10 for Kerbal Space Program 0.90[/h] Released on 2015-04-27

• Added Neon an Krypton as electric propellants
  • Added Stack and Radial Interstellar Gas Tank which can switch between several gas resources
  • Updating cost/density of resources to CRP 2.0

AWESOME as always!

I just wanted to make a list of future priorities at this point:

(1) Add additional ISRU Reactions (Solid Oxide CO2 Electrolysis, Reverse Water Gas Shift Reaction, Methane Pyrolysis, and various RealFuels-specific reactions from THIS list)

(2) Compile a complete one-shot download that includes the latest files from the Boris 0.90 branch, so that players can just install KSP-I Extended directly, without having to install anything else first...

(3) Remove all "LiquidFuel" tanks from the new one-shot download as well as anything else that is obsolete or refers to deleted assets.

(4) Code cleanup and optimization.

I think that's about it for now... I also need to get you data on the Ammonia/Hydrazine Thrustmultipliers for arcjets- which might take me a while... Speaking of which, do you have any accurate data on the internal temperatures reached by propellant in an arcjet thruster? I need reliable/definitive data on this in order to properly calculate the energy released when breaking down Ammonia/Hydrazine at very high temperatures (it will be a LOT more than released at the temperatures of a thermal rocket, although as E = 1/2 mv2 it will actually lead to a relatively smaller increase in Thrust and ISP...)

Regards,

Northstar

Version 1.0.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0

Released on 2015-04-27

• Updated to KSP 1.0. Note, you need to remove Techmanager for KSP to start!
  • Added Universal Storage Interstellar Fuel Wedge

- - - Updated - - -

I think that's about it for now... I also need to get you data on the Ammonia/Hydrazine Thrustmultipliers for arcjets- which might take me a while... Speaking of which, do you have any accurate data on the internal temperatures reached by propellant in an arcjet thruster? I need reliable/definitive data on this in order to properly calculate the energy released when breaking down Ammonia/Hydrazine at very high temperatures (it will be a LOT more than released at the temperatures of a thermal rocket, although as E = 1/2 mv2 it will actually lead to a relatively smaller increase in Thrust and ISP...)

I only noticed what I read on the Atomic Rocket site who mention 10.000K and 12000K

- - - Updated - - -

(1) Add additional ISRU Reactions (Solid Oxide CO2 Electrolysis, Reverse Water Gas Shift Reaction, Methane Pyrolysis, and various RealFuels-specific reactions from THIS list)

(2) Compile a complete one-shot download that includes the latest files from the Boris 0.90 branch, so that players can just install KSP-I Extended directly, without having to install anything else first...

(3) Remove all "LiquidFuel" tanks from the new one-shot download as well as anything else that is obsolete or refers to deleted assets.

(4) Code cleanup and optimization.

Once I have the feeling it is stable enough for a release, I will upload the full version. For now I need a lot of Test help and verify it works.

One problem I'm haven;t which can;t be solved by myself it the techmanager which seems broken. When I tried to recompile the Techmanager, I'm running into some major difficulty which Technodes which have had a major overhaul. But perhaps we no longer need Techmanager and can do it with stock alone

- - - Updated - - -

Tech tree modding is now doable via stock. the stock techtree file is at:

\Squad\Resources\TechTree.cfg

MM FTW

EDIT:

look at \Squad\Resources\Ore.cfg - stock support for by-biome resources. looks like it will integrate (hopefully) seamlessly with Kopernicus, too.

Alright, perhaps we can recreate the Techtree, could you try to copy the Community Tech Tree at the higher technodes which I need for KSPI?

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: yes this is what we can edit now

TechTree
{
RDNode
{
id = start
title = Start
description = The technology we started out with.
cost = 0
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node0_start
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_start
pos = -2568,1199,-1
scale = 0.6
}
RDNode
{
id = basicRocketry
title = Basic Rocketry
description = How hard can Rocket Science be anyway?
cost = 5
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node1_basicRocketry
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_rocketry-basic
pos = -2385,1257,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = start
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = engineering101
title = Engineering 101
description = How hard can Aerospace Engineering be anyway?
cost = 5
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node1_engineering101
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_emgineering101
pos = -2385,1142.3,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = start
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = survivability
title = Survivability
description = The art and science of landing and walking away from it.
cost = 15
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node2_survivability
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_survivability
pos = -2209,975,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = engineering101
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = stability
title = Stability
description = Reaching for the stars starts with keeping our spacecraft pointed generally in the right direction.
cost = 18
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node2_stability
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_stability
pos = -2170,1201,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = engineering101
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = basicRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = generalRocketry
title = General Rocketry
description = More engines, more fuel, more ambitious ideas.
cost = 20
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node2_generalRocketry
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_rocketry-general
pos = -2128,1438,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = basicRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = aviation
title = Aviation
description = The art and science of keeping heavier-than-air objects aloft for extended periods of time.
cost = 45
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node3_aviation
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_aerospaceTech
pos = -1946,1201,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = stability
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = basicScience
title = Basic Science
description = We are going to ask all the big questions of the Universe... eventually. For now, we're starting with these.
cost = 45
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node3_basicScience
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_scienceTech
pos = -1946,846.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = survivability
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = flightControl
title = Flight Control
description = Tumbling out of control may be fun, but our engineers insist there's more to rocket science than that.
cost = 45
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node3_flightControl
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_control-flight-advanced
pos = -1946,1051.4,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = survivability
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = stability
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advRocketry
title = Advanced Rocketry
description = A new step ahead in rocket technology.
cost = 45
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node3_advRocketry
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_rocketry-advanced
pos = -1946,1551,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = generalRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = generalConstruction
title = General Construction
description = New equipment to help out in keeping things stable, especially useful when the size of the spacecraft defies the current bounds of sanity.
cost = 45
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node3_generalConstruction
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_construction-general
pos = -1946,1355,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = stability
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = generalRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = propulsionSystems
title = Propulsion Systems
description = A positively different approach to existing trends in rocketry. These small, lightweight propulsion systems may not seem as exciting, but they might prove just as useful.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_propulsionSystems
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_propulsionSystems
pos = -1723,1551,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = spaceExploration
title = Space Exploration
description = To boldly go where no green man has gone before.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_spaceExploration
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_evaTech
pos = -1723,963.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = basicScience
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advFlightControl
title = Advanced Flight Control
description = The latest advancements in keeping the correct end of the ship pointing towards where you want it to go.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_advFlightControl
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_control-flight
pos = -1723,1051.4,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = flightControl
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = landing
title = Landing
description = Our Engineers are nothing if not optimistic.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_landing
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_landing
pos = -1723,1142.4,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = flightControl
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = aviation
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = aerodynamicSystems
title = Aerodynamics
description = New breakthroughs from C7 Aerospace allow for new types of craft to be built. We're looking into hiring some of their engineers as well.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_aerodynamicSystems
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_aerodynamicSystems
pos = -1723,1243,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = aviation
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = generalConstruction
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = electrics
title = Electrics
description = We did know about electricity before inventing space flight. The big breakthrough here was combining the two.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_electrics
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_electrics
pos = -1723,711.1,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = basicScience
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = heavyRocketry
title = Heavy Rocketry
description = The next logical step for rocketry technology is to just go bigger.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_heavyRocketry
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_rocketry-heavy
pos = -1723,1635,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = fuelSystems
title = Fuel Systems
description = Advancements towards a better understanding of how fuel flows through a rocket.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_fuelSystems
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_fuelSystems
pos = -1723,1470.2,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advConstruction
title = Advanced Construction
description = New advances in construction make it possible to build larger than ever before.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_advConstruction
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_construction-advanced
pos = -1723,1355,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = miniaturization
title = Miniaturization
description = These aren't your standard hobby miniature models. We've been assured they look good enough to actually fly.
cost = 90
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node4_miniaturization
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_miniaturization
pos = -1723,846.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = basicScience
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = actuators
title = Actuators
description = Perfecting the art of making things mobile, without the explicit use of explosives. Our engineers assure us, this is actually a good thing.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_actuators
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_construction-specialized
pos = -1519,1355,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advConstruction
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = commandModules
title = Command Modules
description = Flight control technology has evolved far enough that we feel we can honestly say pilots are in command now.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_commandModules
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_commandmodules
pos = -1520,1020.4,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = spaceExploration
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = advFlightControl
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = heavierRocketry
title = Heavier Rocketry
description = There may be an upper limit to how large a rocket can be built, but we're not there yet.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_heavierRocketry
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_rocketry-heavier
pos = -1519,1635,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = heavyRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = precisionEngineering
title = Precision Engineering
description = Precise engineering techniques allow for construction of ever smaller parts.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_precisionEngineering
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_engineering-precision
pos = -1519,846.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = miniaturization
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = electrics
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advExploration
title = Advanced Exploration
description = They are Self-Deploying Astronaut Mobility Enhancement Devices, I don't know what you mean by "ladders".
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_advExploration
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_exploration-advanced
pos = -1519,963.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = spaceExploration
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = specializedControl
title = Specialized Control
description = A new state-of-the-art in control technology.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_specializedControl
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_control-large
pos = -1521,1082.2,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advFlightControl
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advLanding
title = Advanced Landing
description = Further advances in landing devices, allowing for more controlled descents and a much higher number of parts still attached to the ship after touchdown.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_advLanding
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_landing-advanced
pos = -1519,1142.4,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = landing
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = supersonicFlight
title = Supersonic Flight
description = A new line of aircraft parts that allow for unprecedented maneuverability and speed.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_supersonicFlight
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_flight-supersonic
pos = -1521,1278,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = aerodynamicSystems
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advFuelSystems
title = Adv. Fuel Systems
description = Advanced Advancements towards a better understanding of how fuel flows through a rocket.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_advFuelSystems
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_fuelSystems-advanced
pos = -1519,1470.2,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = propulsionSystems
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = fuelSystems
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advElectrics
title = Advanced Electrics
description = We're fairly certain no one will ever need more than 64kw of power for anything.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_advElectrics
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_electrics-advanced
pos = -1519,711.1,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = electrics
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = specializedConstruction
title = Specialized Construction
description = Specialized construction techniques provide new ways of attaching things together, and detaching things on purpose.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_specializedConstruction
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_automation
pos = -1519,1412,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advConstruction
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = precisionPropulsion
title = Precision Propulsion
description = Any level of precision achieved in controlling the sustained explosion inside a rocket engine is nothing short of remarkable. It might be quite expensive, too.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_precisionPropulsion
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_propulsion-precision
pos = -1520.1,1551,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = propulsionSystems
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advAerodynamics
title = Advanced Aerodynamics
description = Advances in fluid dynamics research technology have allowed development of a new set of streamlined aircraft components, And also these parts here.
cost = 160
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_advAerodynamics
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_aerodynamics-advanced
pos = -1519,1207,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = aerodynamicSystems
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = heavyLanding
title = Heavy Landing
description = A good landing is one where you walk away from it. A great landing is one where you get to use the aircraft again.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_heavyLanding
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_motors-experimental
pos = -1309,1142.4,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advLanding
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = scienceTech
title = Science Tech
description = Scientific advancements allow new advanced technologies for advancing Science.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_advScience
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_telescope
pos = -1309,963.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advExploration
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = precisionEngineering
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = unmannedTech
title = Unmanned Tech
description = Warning: May contain traces of sentience.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_unmannedTech
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_unmanned-advanced
pos = -1309,846.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = nuclearPropulsion
title = Nuclear Propulsion
description = Nuclear engines don't burn fuel, they totally annihilate it. We just hope it doesn't begin any conflicts.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_nuclearPropulsion
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_propulsion-nuclear
pos = -1309,1551,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advFuelSystems
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = heavierRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advMetalworks
title = Advanced MetalWorks
description = These new construction techniques allow for craft designs that were considered insane not too long ago... and still are. But they're now possible!
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_advMetalWorks
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_metalworks-advanced
pos = -1309,1412,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = specializedConstruction
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = fieldScience
title = Field Science
description = Freedom to roam as far as curiosity will take you, or as long as batteries last.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_fieldScience
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_science-field
pos = -1309,1067,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advLanding
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = advExploration
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = highAltitudeFlight
title = High Altitude Flight
description = New breakthroughs in engine and intake development to enable flying through the upper reaches of the atmosphere.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_highAltitudeFlight
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_flight-highAltitude
pos = -1310,1278,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = supersonicFlight
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = largeVolumeContainment
title = Large Volume Containment
description = Maximize the payload capacity of your spacecraft by maximizing the size of your spacecraft.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_largeVolumeContainment
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_largeVolumeContainment
pos = -1309,1470.2,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advFuelSystems
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = composites
title = Composites
description = Lightweight and strong! and don't worry, we're sure the glue will dry off in no time.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_composites
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_composites
pos = -1309,1355,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = electronics
title = Electronics
description = Hopefully these won't become obsolete in the next couple of months.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_electronics
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_electronics
pos = -1309,777.6,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = advElectrics
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = largeElectrics
title = High-Power Electrics
description = Maximize your energy production and storage potential by maximizing the size of the electrical components on your vessels.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_largeElectrics
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_electrics-large
pos = -1309,711.1,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advElectrics
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = heavyAerodynamics
title = Heavy Aerodynamics
description = Advances in construction technology enabled new breakthroughs in aerospace materials.
cost = 300
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node6_heavyAerodynamics
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_aerospaceTech2
pos = -1310,1207,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advAerodynamics
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = ionPropulsion
title = Ion Propulsion
description = Turns out, it's not science fiction.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_ionPropulsion
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_propulsion-ion
pos = -1118,905.2,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = scienceTech
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = unmannedTech
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = hypersonicFlight
title = Hypersonic Flight
description = Push your aircraft to the upper limits of airspeed and sanity.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_hypersonicFlight
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_flight-hypersonic
pos = -1118,1278,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = highAltitudeFlight
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = nanolathing
title = Nanolathing
description = Despite the threatening appearance of the green metablobs shot out of the Nanolathing Injectors, none can argue the fact that Kerbals have indeed developed technologies at least just as dangerous as this one.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = True
nodeName = node7_nanolathing
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_generic
pos = -1118,1406,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advMetalworks
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advUnmanned
title = Advanced Unmanned Tech
description = Improvements in remote control technology for a new generation of probe designs.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_advUnmanned
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_unmannedTech
pos = -1118,846.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = unmannedTech
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = metaMaterials
title = Meta-Materials
description = An advancement in spacecraft construction so revolutionary, you won't even mind that its naming was wildly inaccurate.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_metaMaterials
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_metamaterials
pos = -1118,1355,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = composites
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = veryHeavyRocketry
title = Very Heavy Rocketry
description = While ever-larger rockets may not be the answer every time, for all other times, we've developed these.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_veryHeavyRocketry
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_rocketry-veryHeavy
pos = -1118,1635,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = largeVolumeContainment
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = heavierRocketry
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advScienceTech
title = Advanced Science Tech
description = Scientific advancements allow new advanced technologies for advancing Science.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_advScienceTech
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_scienceTech-advanced
pos = -1118,963.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = scienceTech
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = fieldScience
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = advancedMotors
title = Advanced Motors
description = Wheel technology is just rolling along now. You could even say our engineers are on a roll with it.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_advancedMotors
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_motors-advanced
pos = -1118,1067,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = fieldScience
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = specializedElectrics
title = Specialized Electrics
description = Experience the warm glow of the latest in electrical technology. Figuratively, of course, and maybe also quite literally as well. Actually, try to avoid direct exposure.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_specializedElectrics
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_electrics-specialized
pos = -1118,711.1,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = largeElectrics
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = highPerformanceFuelSystems
title = High-Performance Fuel Systems
description = Massive engines require massive fuel storage solutions.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_highPerformanceFuelSystems
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_fuelSystems-highPerformance
pos = -1118,1470.2,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = largeVolumeContainment
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = experimentalAerodynamics
title = Experimental Aerodynamics
description = Winged flight technology is soaring to unprecedented heights. It could even be said that it's properly taking off now.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_experimentalAerodynamics
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_aerodynamics-heavy
pos = -1120,1207,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = heavyAerodynamics
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = automation
title = Automation
description = We can't think of anything that could go wrong with letting an experimental AI handle every aspect of a mission.
cost = 550
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node7_automation
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_robotics
pos = -1118,777.6,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = unmannedTech
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = electronics
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = aerospaceTech
title = Aerospace Tech
description = The absolute cutting-edge in aerospace technology. Quite literally, some of those edges are very sharp. Handle with care.
cost = 1000
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node8_aerospaceTech
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_aerodynamics-experimental
pos = -956,1278,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = hypersonicFlight
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = largeUnmanned
title = Large Probes
description = The rumours of probe-led world domination are greatly exaggerated.
cost = 1000
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node8_largeUnmanned
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_probes-large
pos = -952,846.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advUnmanned
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
Parent
{
parentID = automation
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = experimentalScience
title = Experimental Science
description = Explore novel fields of science that we didn't even know were there.
cost = 1000
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node8_experimentalScience
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_science-experimental
pos = -952,963.9,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advScienceTech
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = experimentalMotors
title = Experimental Motors
description = The latest breakthroughs that are driving motor technology forwards, and in reverse, and steering too.
cost = 1000
hideEmpty = True
nodeName = node8_experimentalMotors
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_generic
pos = -952,1067,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = advancedMotors
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
RDNode
{
id = experimentalElectrics
title = Experimental Electrics
description = The very latest in electrical systems technology. Our engineers are buzzing with excitement over it. They also seem to glow in the dark now. Fascinating!
cost = 1000
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node8_experimentalElectrics
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_electrics-experimental
pos = -952,711.1,-1
scale = 0.6
Parent
{
parentID = specializedElectrics
lineFrom = RIGHT
lineTo = LEFT
}
}
}

Someone please create a version with all higher CTT technodes added to it

Edited by FreeThinker

Thanks for continuing to maintain this project. I wanted to let you know that the solar sail module has a couple errors in the force model. If the back side points towards the sun, so does the normal vector and force vector. Also, the force should be proportional to the cosine-squared of the angle to the sun, instead of just the cosine. One cosine term comes from the sail intercepting less light as it tilts. The second is because the light glances off the sail at steeper angles, contributing less to thrust. To fix it, replace the "CalculateSolarForce" function with the following code. I'd submit a Github pull request, but my connection's running painfully slow.

private Vector3d CalculateSolarForce() {

if (this.part != null) {

Vector3d sunPosition = FlightGlobals.fetch.bodies[0].position;

Vector3d ownPosition = this.part.transform.position;

Vector3d ownsunPosition = ownPosition - sunPosition;

Vector3d normal = this.part.transform.up;

if (surfaceTransform != null) {

normal = surfaceTransform.forward;

}

// If normal points away from sun, negate so our force is always away from the sun

// so that turning the backside towards the sun thrusts correctly

if (Vector3d.Dot (normal, ownsunPosition) < 0) {

normal = -normal;

}

// Magnitude of force proportional to cosine-squared of angle between sun-line and normal

double cosConeAngle = Vector3.Dot (ownsunPosition.normalized, normal);

Vector3d force = normal * cosConeAngle * cosConeAngle * surfaceArea * reflectedPhotonRatio * solarForceAtDistance();

return force;

} else {

return Vector3d.zero;

}

}

Thought I'd check this out with the 1.0 release update. Noticed Open Resource System plugin is still being used. Since 1.0 has resource system built in is this going to be depreciated?

Side question, as the new tech tree is much more in depth are there any plans to support this new stock tree?

Edited by JeffreyCor

Thanks for continuing to maintain this project. I wanted to let you know that the solar sail module has a couple errors in the force model. If the back side points towards the sun, so does the normal vector and force vector. Also, the force should be proportional to the cosine-squared of the angle to the sun, instead of just the cosine. One cosine term comes from the sail intercepting less light as it tilts. The second is because the light glances off the sail at steeper angles, contributing less to thrust. To fix it, replace the "CalculateSolarForce" function with the following code. I'd submit a Github pull request, but my connection's running painfully slow.

private Vector3d CalculateSolarForce() {

if (this.part != null) {

Vector3d sunPosition = FlightGlobals.fetch.bodies[0].position;

Vector3d ownPosition = this.part.transform.position;

Vector3d ownsunPosition = ownPosition - sunPosition;

Vector3d normal = this.part.transform.up;

if (surfaceTransform != null) {

normal = surfaceTransform.forward;

}

// If normal points away from sun, negate so our force is always away from the sun

// so that turning the backside towards the sun thrusts correctly

if (Vector3d.Dot (normal, ownsunPosition) < 0) {

normal = -normal;

}

// Magnitude of force proportional to cosine-squared of angle between sun-line and normal

double cosConeAngle = Vector3.Dot (ownsunPosition.normalized, normal);

Vector3d force = normal * cosConeAngle * cosConeAngle * surfaceArea * reflectedPhotonRatio * solarForceAtDistance();

return force;

} else {

return Vector3d.zero;

}

}

Looks good to me, I commited the code. I don't have time to verify it, but I assume you know what your are talking about. Perhaps you can also help with other functions. I really appreciate all the help I can get because KSPI is simply too big to be maintained in one person freetime. I want to play KSPI in KSP 1.0 also you know ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thought I'd check this out with the 1.0 release update. Noticed Open Resource System plugin is still being used. Since 1.0 has resource system built in is this going to be depreciated?

Side question, as the new tech tree is much more in depth are there any plans to support this new stock tree?

Yes, it is planned to be replaced by Stock/Regolith and I supported the Community Tech Tree which is an extention of the stock tech tree.

Edited by FreeThinker

Notice, that there is still lots of work to be done for KSPI. we need Artist, Programmers and Scientific Minds! If anyone is interesting in contributing to this Mod, please contact me!.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.