KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

4 hours ago, WaYa said:

"Duel Mode Thermal Sphere Receiver" does not appear to work.  So far all the other microwave receivers I have tried appear to work fine.

edit: this is with 1.11.4 (and 1.11.3), ksp 1.2.1 (and 1.2.2)

Both electric and thermal modes don't work at all? I will look into it

36 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Both electric and thermal modes don't work at all? I will look into it

on that part they will say "Satalite 0/1" even if I put it right next to the satalite with the power production, and that is for both modes.  (I really wanted to use that part too)

Going from 1.11.3 to 1.11.4, the "phased array transceiver" (both types) lost the ability to be used as a relay. tested on both ksp 1.2.1 & 1.2.2

edit: Looking at the part file, nothing is changed between .3 and .4, it still has the proper module, so my guess is the button for activating relays was disabled.

edit 2: you can still set up action groups to enable/disable use as a relay but neither button to enable/disable is available right clicking on the part

Edited by WaYa

On 5/12/2016 at 11:36 AM, FreeThinker said:

Methane is indeed the highest performing propellant for launch, but the trade off is indeed  soothing of the heat exchanger., effectivly reduce engine power. To get rid of the soothing, you could switch to CO propellant in low thrust (high thrust will make it worse) or use water. There resources can be either taken with you or produced from atmosphere/orcean mining

But can you switch fuels mid-flight? I've tried in sandbox (albeit with the 1.2.1 compatible version while running 1.2.2) and while the button to change fuel type is in the engine, it doesn't do anything.

Also, what tank hold diborane? I was trying to make a rocket with it but I didn't find it listed among the fuel types in the normal fuel tanks, although it does show up as an option in the engie

23 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

But can you switch fuels mid-flight? I've tried in sandbox (albeit with the 1.2.1 compatible version while running 1.2.2) and while the button to change fuel type is in the engine, it doesn't do anything.

It only works if you have unlucked the required nuclear propulsion technology

25 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

Also, what tank hold diborane? I was trying to make a rocket with it but I didn't find it listed among the fuel types in the normal fuel tanks, although it does show up as an option in the engie

this feature isn't fully implemented. The idea is that only very high core temperature rectors like the Gas Core reactor are capable of using the propelant effectivly

2 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

I gave it a quick test last night the radial microwave reciever has been broken since before 1.22 only major one I'm aware of. I've just been testing a beamed power network, guessing visible light cannot be received on planet due to atmosphere?

Have you configured the wavelength in the VAB  to the correct bandwidth , they need to be compatible otherwise it won't work

Looking at more parts, I found 2 more buggy parts:

"Folded Radial Rectenna Receiver" has only one bandwidth option:  "**Not Found** Beamed Power"

Oversized Aluminium/gold thermal dish receivers: didn't work until in orbit (description needs updating?), even when receiving visible light (and it registers as working in a way) it will still say "microwave" when you right-click. When generators are turned off, when the receiver is deployed, it magically generates electric charge in both "electric" or "thermal" mode.  (description indicates you have to attach a thermal generator)

Circular Thermophotovoltaic Receiver:  not connecting to beamed relay network (tried UV and MW), gets message on right-click screen "Status: Blocked by Circular Thermophotovoltaic"

Edit: it seems to be tracking the sun, not the satellites.  if a relay is in the direction of the sun it'll connect, otherwise it'll either give a blocked message or not appear connected

Unrelated Edit: Some of the parts, when you right-click, have so much information that it doesn't fit in the game window. (such as the above part). it may be worth having some of the details in a separate pop-up window like how the reactors work.

Edited by WaYa

This seems like a fuel switch problem, but I haven't changed any mods but this one: nuclear ramjets set to atmospheric mode. As soon as I stage them to take off, they switch to liquid fuel automatically and I have to manually change them back. Action group to toggle propellant suddenly doesn't work anymore.

Magnetohydrodynamic Electric Generator:

This part works but a few notes:

the description only indicates "Direct Conversion" so needs to be updated to indicate it is a dual-function generator that does both direct-conversion and thermal-conversion.

It would also be extremely useful to improve the activate/deactivate buttons so they indicate which reactor they cycle on/off , as well as within the action groups (i'm guessing that would require some reworking the code). This would allow turning the 2 generators in the part on/off without guessing what button does what to optimize overall output during various operations.  (IE turn off direct conversion when using a particle based thruster, and turning it back on when done with maneuvers to optimize reactor fuel use)

Magnetized Target Fusion Reactor:

Description say's it only delivers thermal power, but every mode has charged particles, furthermore other than not having a generator and being heavier, everything else seems to be identical to the tri-alpha colliding beam fusion reactor

Version 1.11.5 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2016-12-10

• Updated to KSP 1.2.2
  • Updated IFS to 2.3 (fixed cost bug)
  • Added Methane Pyrolysis to ISRU refinery by EvilGeorge
  • Fixed Sensitive bandwidth for Wrapped Panel receiver
  • Fixed stock Gigantor to act as beamed power receiver

@FreeThinker a couple of observations:

1. earlier today KSPIE and IFS were available on CKAN, and now they are not; 1.11.5 was available on CKAN even and now it isn't. like not even in the 'incompatible' list; I hear there's a CKAN bug where if a dependency is not compatible it can cause the mod to not show up, but I'm not sure what other dependencies they have...? anyway, that's more a thing for the CKAN folks
2. I notice that with the new reactor, the propellant types for any engine attached to it are limited to Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and Diborane.  Is that intentional?  connecting the same engine to a pebble bed reactor makes things back to normal
3. Not sure if this is related or not, but as soon as I got the 1.11.5 update, my game just kind of... freaked the hell out.  like anytime a spaceplane exceeds 10 m/s over the ground, the entire thing detaches from the root part, sometimes causing a normal crash, sometimes causing a complete failure of Unity requiring a game restart, and showing absolutely nothing in the logs either way.  I'm not sure if this is a KSPIE issue but it did start at exactly the same time as the update loaded; however it could have been a bad update since it was from CKAN, and, see #1, now CKAN doesn't even think it exists.

OK, #3 I'm still not 100% sure what's causing it; I reinstalled everything, mostly by hand... any craft built prior to doing so still exhibit this behavior, any craft built after the reinstall seem to work.

However I did uncover one thing... the graphene winged-edge radiators, while they have no animation and are a fixed unit, if you activate cooling in the atmosphere, they will disintegrate as though they were folding radiators, due to the dynamic pressure of the air.  That doesn't seem correct for a fixed non-folding winged-edge radiator?

Edited by ss8913

@ss8913

1) Yes, it has dependencies that need to be updated. Most likely Tweakscale and CTT. Technically they just need a recompile and an upload, so it shouldn't take that long

2) Yes,, this is intentional

3) Lol, yes this indeed looks like an unintended side effect of all radiators behaving the same effects, I will fix this ASAP

Version 1.11.7 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2016-12-11

• Fixed Bug where fixed radiators would be ripped off at high speed atmosphere conditions when activated
  • Fixed issue where version number was not properly updated
  • Fixed Graphite radiator maximum radiator tech to exotic radiators
  • Removed depreciated part files
Edited by FreeThinker

Bug report: inconsistency between FreeElectronLaser/FreeElectronLaser.cfg and FreeElectronLaser/Upgrades.cfg.

Both files contain matching information between the available wavelengths and the tech nodes, but the information is inconsistent.

Example:

• near UV capability requires highEnergyScience in FreeElectronLaser.cfg and longTermScienceTech in Upgrades.cfg,
  • middle UV capability requires highEnergyScience in  FreeElectronLaser.cfg and scientificOutposts in Upgrades.cfg.

36 minutes ago, singlet said:

Bug report: inconsistency between FreeElectronLaser/FreeElectronLaser.cfg and FreeElectronLaser/Upgrades.cfg.

Both files contain matching information between the available wavelengths and the tech nodes, but the information is inconsistent.

Example:

• near UV capability requires highEnergyScience in FreeElectronLaser.cfg and longTermScienceTech in Upgrades.cfg,
  • middle UV capability requires highEnergyScience in  FreeElectronLaser.cfg and scientificOutposts in Upgrades.cfg.

Thanks, I have fixed it now.

KSPI-E is killing the MM configCache every time:

[LOG 17:15:26.630] [ModuleManager] SHA generated in 0.884s
[LOG 17:15:26.630] [ModuleManager]       SHA = 3F-55-E2-6C-6E-BD-16-1F-6C-D6-27-90-37-5A-6A-ED-B3-6D-1C-6D-5F-DA-BF-6E-C5-36-92-27-35-D3-31-17
[LOG 17:15:26.933] [ModuleManager] Changes :
Added   : WarpPlugin/Parts/Microwave/RadialMicrowaveReceiverDish/part .cfg
Added   : WarpPlugin/Parts/Microwave/RadialThermalReceiverDishAluminium/part .cfg
Deleted : WarpPlugin/Parts/Microwave/RadialMicrowaveReceiverDish/part.cfg
Deleted : WarpPlugin/Parts/Microwave/RadialThermalReceiverDishAluminium/part.cfg

This happens even if I merely start the game and then quit immediately after the main menu shows up. Not a nice thing with 18000+ patches

1 hour ago, MaxRebo said:

KSPI-E is killing the MM configCache every time:

[LOG 17:15:26.630] [ModuleManager] SHA generated in 0.884s
[LOG 17:15:26.630] [ModuleManager]       SHA = 3F-55-E2-6C-6E-BD-16-1F-6C-D6-27-90-37-5A-6A-ED-B3-6D-1C-6D-5F-DA-BF-6E-C5-36-92-27-35-D3-31-17
[LOG 17:15:26.933] [ModuleManager] Changes :
Added   : WarpPlugin/Parts/Microwave/RadialMicrowaveReceiverDish/part .cfg
Added   : WarpPlugin/Parts/Microwave/RadialThermalReceiverDishAluminium/part .cfg
Deleted : WarpPlugin/Parts/Microwave/RadialMicrowaveReceiverDish/part.cfg
Deleted : WarpPlugin/Parts/Microwave/RadialThermalReceiverDishAluminium/part.cfg

This happens even if I merely start the game and then quit immediately after the main menu shows up. Not a nice thing with 18000+ patches

This appears to be some kind of module manager bug. I suggest you raise the issue there...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.