KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

One more thing - well, kinda 2... I notice the MJ2 forum thread has been locked on Mar 20 (no idea why, can't find any info)... I notice that my framerates get progressively slower as I play KSP, and I find that in my logs, I find a ton of:

[LOG 00:38:45.869] [MechJeb2] Exception in MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation(): System.Exception: FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage reached max step count of 100
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage (Single throttle, Double staticPressure, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateAllStages (Single throttle, Double staticPressureKpa, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation (System.Object o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I know MJ2 has a lot of trouble with KSPIE's engines.. I'm not sure if the framerate hit is coming from something that MJ2 is doing or not doing, or if the problem is coming from the *logging*.. is there a way to turn off logging for a module?  I'm thinking I may have to scrap MJ2 but that would make things very, very, very uncomfortable for me.  I was hoping to open a discussion with Sarbian on how to get MJ2 to play nicer with KSPIE's engines, but... he may be gone now, I have no idea.  Any help appreciated.  Telling me to get bent, while not appreciated, wouldn't be completely unexpected, and I'd understand :)

It appears the latest update has broken beamed power somehow?  I don't know if it was the 21 or 22 update, I only got the 22.  My save had a beamed power network running just fine - ground-based station positioned 1.5km off the launchpad at KSC.  I tested just now - on KSPI-E 22 a simple test craft(pod core, thermal receiver) has its input power flicker rapidly(rapidly enough that I can't actually see how much power it's peaking at, whether it's the proper value or not), downgrading KSPI-E to 19 fixes the issue and power sits at the normal level with no flickering.

36 minutes ago, DGerry said:

It appears the latest update has broken beamed power somehow?  I don't know if it was the 21 or 22 update, I only got the 22.  My save had a beamed power network running just fine - ground-based station positioned 1.5km off the launchpad at KSC.  I tested just now - on KSPI-E 22 a simple test craft(pod core, thermal receiver) has its input power flicker rapidly(rapidly enough that I can't actually see how much power it's peaking at, whether it's the proper value or not), downgrading KSPI-E to 19 fixes the issue and power sits at the normal level with no flickering.

Weird. Exactly what transmitter and receiver did you use and by what was it powered?

Edited by FreeThinker

I was using the large multi-bandwidth transciever dish powered by a stellarator fusion reactor running the standard D-T fuel sandwiched between a direct conversion generator and a thermal generator, the receiver was a standard in-line thermal receiver of the standard size(though tweakscaled up or down didn't change the result), in the I believe long infrared band?

3 hours ago, DGerry said:

I was using the large multi-bandwidth transciever dish powered by a stellarator fusion reactor running the standard D-T fuel sandwiched between a direct conversion generator and a thermal generator, the receiver was a standard in-line thermal receiver of the standard size(though tweakscaled up or down didn't change the result), in the I believe long infrared band?

Alright, you were spot on, fount the culprit and fix it. I will upload a fixed version soon

41 minutes ago, ToastyOats said:

Are there any known conflicts with the 1.2.2 versions of OPT & OPT Legacy?

In relations to the fuel tanks being Interstellar Extended compatible? I tried a MFT.cfg replacement but I'm looking at "double" fuel swap entries on a lot of things now.

Hey man, I am using OPT and can't report any issues or conflicts. Only thing missing is Interstellar Fuel Switch support by OPT (It uses Firespitter by default).
This patch was made by ABZB, and it makes everything perfectly compatible xD, but make sure you don't have Firespitter installed, coz it that case it would do nothing =)

//sets up these parts to be handled by the main patch file

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel],@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]|@RESOURCE[MonoPropellant],!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],#author[K.Yeon]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:FIRST
{
	OPTRsave = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
	@OPTRsave += #$/RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
	!RESOURCE[Oxidizer]{}
	amIforIFS = TRUE
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#amIforIFS[TRUE]]:AFTER[OPT]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]{}
	!MODULE[FSmeshSwitch],*{}
	!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],*{}
	%RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
	{
		%amount = #$/../OPTRsave$
		%maxAmount = #$/../OPTRsave$
	}
}

How precisely would you install that "patch" cosmo? Am I going to have to crawl through a specific file?

I should've mentioned I've got no problem code crawling, I just don't know what I should do with all that specifically.

Edited by ToastyOats

Version 1.12.22 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-04-11

• Added reduced text size of ISRU and Reactor window
  • Balance: Increased amount of lithium6 in MCF and Stellarator
  • Balance: Reduced Mass Stellarator from 32t to 28t
  • Fixed Beamed Power Receiver functionality
  • Fixed display bug in Power Management

1 hour ago, ToastyOats said:

How precisely would you install that "patch" cosmo? Am I going to have to crawl through a specific file?

I should've mentioned I've got no problem code crawling, I just don't know what I should do with all that specifically.

Just save it as *.cfg anywhere in GameData folder. Name doesn't matter.

@FreeThinker any ideas on the compressedAir issue?  There have been a couple of posts from me and at least one other person, they kind of got buried in all of the [also much appreciated posts/updates regarding beamed power, that's a really sophisticated system you've built here and it's great] but I and apparently some others are concerned about what that conversion slider does/how it is supposed to work, and the usability of compressedair in practice.

I can't help as to getting the whole intakeatm->compressed air thing working properly but I believe it's based on the same functionality as converting liquid->gas for the cryogenic fuels like methane, ammonia etc.  The reason I bring that up is that the cryogenic tanks don't seem to convert to/from the liquid form all that intuitively - if you have the slider at "-100"(the liquid side) in the VAB, when you launch the vessel it won't actually start converting until you move the slider back and forth some.  It also seems to happen fairly slowly, and I can't figure out what(if anything) the ISRU refrigerator does as far as converting gases to liquids.

I also noticed today that the ATTILA thrusters use "liquid water" but the thermal ramjet/turbojet engines just use "water"(and yes, these are different resources).  I recall that these two resources were differentiated a long time ago to serve the purpose of representing "pure" and "not pure" water for the purposes of life support.  I could be wrong there, but regardless - is it intended(and if so, is it necessary or useful) to specify different water resources on different parts?  It seems that "water" is the standard among other mods, so it would make sense to me to just change all "lqdwater" or "liquid water" references to just "water" both for simplicity and interoperability sake.

I'm sure it's been asked but I can't be bothered to scroll through 341 pages of comments (and no sane person could either), is there a way to easily re-enable the Rontogen Nuclear Thermal jet engine and the intakes on the Engine Pre-Cooler and (presumably) the Engine Nacelle? Also, are there any aerodynamics/physics/part mass changes in this mod, my planes that normally fly well in stock don't fly well with this (and I know I don't have any physics mods installed)

The planes tend to spin out in midair on hard turns. They use the "modern fighter" design motif, with the center of thrust below the center of mass and large delta wings

Edited by Fireheart318

Is it normal/expected behavior for the Quantum Singularity Reactor to "modify" the mass of other parts?

Example, I put a Mk1-2 pod, Heavy Alcubierre drive, and 4 supercapacitors in, I'm at ~29 tons. Add a Magnetohydrodynamic Elec Generator, I'm at ~38 tons. All good so far. Add a 64 ton QSR and suddenly I'm at ~306 tons. I check the parts and see that the generator has gone from being 9t, to being 213.333 tons! This part will remain 213t even if I remove the QSR. 

I realize I'm sticking a (miniscule) black hole on my ship, but it's odd to me that it would modify the mass of other parts, unless I'm missing something. I noticed this bug when I attempted adding a QSR to a ship that worked to warp up to 4c, but ran out of power there. Suddenly, instead of adding 64t, I added 267t to total mass.

Thanks in advance for any help or explanation, and thanks a ton for this awesome mod!

17 minutes ago, Submho said:

Is it normal/expected behavior for the Quantum Singularity Reactor to "modify" the mass of other parts?

Example, I put a Mk1-2 pod, Heavy Alcubierre drive, and 4 supercapacitors in, I'm at ~29 tons. Add a Magnetohydrodynamic Elec Generator, I'm at ~38 tons. All good so far. Add a 64 ton QSR and suddenly I'm at ~306 tons. I check the parts and see that the generator has gone from being 9t, to being 213.333 tons! This part will remain 213t even if I remove the QSR. 

I realize I'm sticking a (miniscule) black hole on my ship, but it's odd to me that it would modify the mass of other parts, unless I'm missing something. I noticed this bug when I attempted adding a QSR to a ship that worked to warp up to 4c, but ran out of power there. Suddenly, instead of adding 64t, I added 267t to total mass.

Thanks in advance for any help or explanation, and thanks a ton for this awesome mod!

It's not a bug but a feature. Did you noticed that the mass of the generators doesn't change if you scale them? That is correct IRL and correctly reported in KSPIE.

I can see there was a minor change done to some radiator panels... 

changes.png

*Yes that is more than a tenth of a square mile of surface area... No idea why they grew so big. 

Edited by Profit-

17 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

It's not a bug but a feature. Did you noticed that the mass of the generators doesn't change if you scale them? That is correct IRL and correctly reported in KSPIE.

It's a feature to make a generator that previously had 9t of mass suddenly have 213t of mass when I attach it to a QSR? I can't even launch anymore! :)

16 minutes ago, Submho said:

It's a feature to make a generator that previously had 9t of mass suddenly have 213t of mass when I attach it to a QSR? I can't even launch anymore! :)

LOL! Well, it change depending the reactor attached. But maybe 213 tonnes it's too much.

Edited by Nansuchao

20 minutes ago, Submho said:

You are not supposed to connect it directly to a generator, it has build in energy converters which convert the generated hawking radiation and charged particles directly into energy,( no need to use 21 century technoloy in a 23 century reactor...) The fact that a external generator was able to be affected at all is the real bug.

Edited by FreeThinker

Edit: Disregard everything I posted about the MTFR, I keep forgetting you require a secondary power source of considerable energy to maintain the fusion reaction, or at least start it.

While I'm here acting, I was also wondering. Where can I find an explanation of how Interstellar handles Electric Charge > MegaJoules/MegaWatts etc

Edited by ToastyOats

2 hours ago, ToastyOats said:

While I'm here acting, I was also wondering. Where can I find an explanation of how Interstellar handles Electric Charge > MegaJoules/MegaWatts etc

The Super capacitator and Computer core have an automated Electric Charge to MegaJoules converter, but the stored Megajoules can only be used for power storage or to power medium power (MJ)  parts like the ISRU parts and RCS. Basicly you set a preverence like 50% and it will automatically convert Electric Charge to Megajoules or the oposite

Edited by FreeThinker

PSA: the build 691 mechjeb build works better with KSPIE than the official release.  Mostly in that it understands the higher torque available from the KSPIE RCS and can actually make use of it.  Landing guidance is still really really broken, but I think that has more to do with the graduated response of the KSPIE engines than anything else.  I think.

@FreeThinker - I realize that the AI Core is limited to 3.75m for balance reasons... would it be amiss to ask for one with the same overall mass and volume, but with a smaller diameter?  ie, a 1.25m one that is longer, same weight, but.. 1.25m?  also 2.5... I know I can edit the part.cfg and allow tweakscale to scale them now, but, for game balance reasons I'd think it better to have native versions, kind of like with the antimatter tanks?

I love the AI core for scanner probes... but with the 3.75m limit, I have to make a really big spaceplane to deploy them, would rather have it in a smaller more compact size so I can fit them into cargo bays more easily.

hmm.. @FreeThinker something seems to be wrong with the "Winged Edge Radiator - Med" part in this release.  Updated KSPIE today, loaded KSP.. loaded a ship that worked fine 2 days ago, and now in the editor it says that the mass is about 5 billion tons and the launch cost is 72 quintillion credits.  The winged radiator parts are either showing up massive (like 100x the size of the VAB) or tiny (0.1 scale), and.. I'm perplexed.  the behavior is definitely bad, but it's also inconsistent, and I can't find anything useful in the logs.  Tweakscale hasn't been updated in the last 2 days, so it's not that... I haven't tried it with all my craft yet, since after trying it on 2, loading ships affected by this bug caused KSP to crash in an unrecoverable state, and I'm having to restart my PC to clean it up and re-launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.