KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

The *only* new resource any of these need is Carbon Monoxide (the rest already exist in KSP-I Extended, or in RealFuels where appropriate)- which could be skipped if we coupled the Fischer-Tropsch Reaction with the Reverse Water Gas Shift Reaction automatically, although I would not recommend that as it would take away a lot of flexibilit from how players implement their ISRU...

No we need it because beside usefull in ISRU, it's also usefull as a propellant. Could you provide a resource definition?

Edited by FreeThinker

The issue is with x.x.17 the methane engine cause log spam of "can't find config in warppluginsettings". I removed the methane engine folder just to verify that was the cause of the spam. When I removed the engine folder and load the game there were no errors in the log. Hope that makes sense. I don't know directly what is causing it just that the methane engine is involved and it can't find something it's looking for in warppluginsettings. Again I use realfuels if that matters.

I am unable to reproduce this without RealFuels. Unfortunately, I have a couple mods that are incompatible with RealFuels so I can't test it.

No we need it because beside usefull in ISRU, it's also usefull as a propellant. Could you provide a resource definition?

I'm not so sure about the "useful as a propellant" part (unless you're referring to the CO/O2 rockets I mentioned earlier- which have an ISP in the 200 second range and are only really useful as they can be refueled with nothing but the atmosphere of Duna/Mars and some electric/thermal power...), considering its molecular weight (28) makes it interchangeable with Nitrogen for Thrust/MW and ISP, but it isn't nearly as easily collected from the environment. Actually, its Thrust/MW and ISP should be almost *exactly* the same as for Nitrogen- it's a propellant with the same molecular weight and even heat capacity (29 J/mol*K) as Nitrogen, making it an essentially identical propellant.

Except for its storage characteristics- Carbon Monoxide is slightly easier to store as a cryogenic liquid than Nitrogen (its boiling point is -191.5 C vs. -195.8 C for Nitrogen)- CO has absolutely no advantages over Nitrogen as a thermal rocket propellant. Even its cost is much higher (I'm getting wholesale figures no lower than $20/kg for compressed CO gas- compared to as little as $0.07/kg for compressed Nitrogen gas...) than Nitrogen...

Anyways, if you wanted a resource config, it should be:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = LiquidCO
density = 0.000790
unitCost = 0.0021
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = True
}

This is based on a cost a bit less than $20/kg in 2015, with 1965-->2015 inflation taken into account, and is probably even a little over-optimistic...

For a Thermal Rocket config it should be identical to Nitrogen:

BASIC_NTR_PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidCO
guiName = Carbon Monoxide
ispMultiplier = 0.3273
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidCO
ratio = 1
DrawGauge = True
}
}

Regards,

Northstar

[h=2]Version 0.8.20 for Kerbal Space Program 0.90[/h] Released on 2015-04-16

• Added CarbonMonoxide as a NTR propellant
  • Electric Generator maxamount for MegaWatt and ElectricCharge depend on amount of maximum power produced by generator and timewarp
  • Electric Generator has a dynamic wasteheat storage which ammount depends on timewarp
  • Intake Atmosphere should behave more like IntakeAir and scale with physics warp

Edited by FreeThinker

Version 0.8.20 for Kerbal Space Program 0.90

• Intake Atmosphere should behave more like IntakeAir and scale with physics warp

I guess I really did need to test that more. It does seems to correctly scale with physics warp, but the amount of IntakeAtm collected seems to be quite a bit lower than IntakeAir. I almost worked it out before running out of time, but I'll get it right tomorrow.

Can you take another look at the radiators please?

For example the inline and radial radiators seem to be very ineffective/inefficient.

The flat radiator panel can deal with 425kW, while the small inline raditor (0.625m diameter) can only deal with 1.86kW, although it even has a higher outer surface area than the panel, not counting the stack top and bottom and the interior ribs.

Also the 1.25m inline radiator can only deal with 7.43kW, while the 62.5cm inline radiator can deal with 17.02kW.

A whole radiator review would be great.

Edited by Yemo

Can you take another look at the radiators please?

For example the inline and radial radiators seem to be very ineffective/inefficient.

The flat radiator panel can deal with 425kW, while the small inline raditor (0.625m diameter) can only deal with 1.86kW, although it even has a higher outer surface area than the panel, not counting the stack top and bottom and the interior ribs.

Also the 1.25m inline radiator can only deal with 7.43kW, while the 62.5cm inline radiator can deal with 17.02kW.

A whole radiator review would be great.

They are not created equal. The Inline radiator is an early tech radiator which is only suitable for atmospheric usage. It has about the same performance as radial version but is more streamlined. But it seems wrong they they do not scale consistent with size

Edited by FreeThinker

Removed the entry for the 2.5m cryo in the KSPI_Scale_Fixes.cfg, edited costs to correct prices.

Also there is a bit of a bug with the FuelSwitch if you have 2 tank setups with different amounts of the same resource, it doesn't set the amount on that resource correctly when changing between them.

And FuelSwitch doesn't recalculate the cost based on the new fuel costs, which means that the He3 tanks are insanely expensive.

Edit: and the Radioactive Decay module doesn't take well to starting a flight with no Tritium, I'm guessing this will also affect loading vessels with their tanks configured for stuff other than tritium.

Would it also be possible to get the FuelSwitch module to scale properly with tweakscale?

Removed the entry for the 2.5m cryo in the KSPI_Scale_Fixes.cfg, edited costs to correct prices.

Also there is a bit of a bug with the FuelSwitch if you have 2 tank setups with different amounts of the same resource, it doesn't set the amount on that resource correctly when changing between them.

And FuelSwitch doesn't recalculate the cost based on the new fuel costs, which means that the He3 tanks are insanely expensive.

Edit: and the Radioactive Decay module doesn't take well to starting a flight with no Tritium, I'm guessing this will also affect loading vessels with their tanks configured for stuff other than tritium.

Would it also be possible to get the FuelSwitch module to scale properly with tweakscale?

I fixed the tank size issue and the radioactive decay issue. FreeThinker has done some work on InterstellarFuelSwitch TweakScale support, but I don't know if he's done or not.

The cost problem with the FuelSwitch still needs to be fixed though.

I strongly feel that there should be a version that completely removes the KSPI Alcubierre Drive in favor of RoverDude's.

KSPI support 3 kinds of Warpdrives, and the availability depends on what you have installed:

• GigaWatt WarpEngine is available when both KSPI Extended and USI WarpDrive (but not NFT-E)
  • MegaWatt WarpEngine is available if you have only KSPI installed (and not USI WarpDrive)
  • KiloWatt WarpEngine is available if you have both USI WarpDrive and NFT-E installed

MAJOR UPDATE:

[h=2]Version 0.9.0 for Kerbal Space Program 0.90[/h] Released on 2015-04-18

• Added Interstellar Fuel Tanks which can store interstellar CRP 2.0 propellants at cryogenic temperatures at reduced mass but increased power requirements
  • Disabled several cryogenic tanks
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch is now compatible with Tweakscale
  • Cryostat Storage Boil-off and electric Power requirement now depends on ambient temperature and propellant boiling temperature
  • Cryostat Storage Boil off and electric Power requirement correctly scales with Tweakscale using Surface Area scale
  • Included SETI Renaming for Interstellar Parts
  • Fixed radioactive decay interaction with Interstellar Fuel Switch (by Mr Nukealizer)
  • Fixed Atmospheric Intakes (by Mr Nukealizer)

FreeThinker, I've been having issues with parts expanding infinitely in the VAB screen, it's making it a hassle to work with Interstellar ATM. I've found that this is a common problem, but the recommended fix of adding the ModuleSAS code in the part's config doesn't seem to be working for me. Do you know how to handle it?

FreeThinker, I've been having issues with parts expanding infinitely in the VAB screen, it's making it a hassle to work with Interstellar ATM. I've found that this is a common problem, but the recommended fix of adding the ModuleSAS code in the part's config doesn't seem to be working for me. Do you know how to handle it?

That generally indicates something about the part isn't loading correctly. If you can post your KSP.log after a session when it happens, I could probably figure out what's wrong.

Another option is this mod. I've heard it still works on 0.90, but no promises, and it's kind of a Band-Aid anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.