KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

On 7-5-2016 at 3:58 PM, Dante Montana said:

Hello
thanks Freethinker for all the updates and your work with this mod.
The last few days I extended the NFTradiators.cfg that comes with KSPI as a MMpatch for the NearFutureRadiators, so that it fits to the HeatControlMod which includes the radiators for NFT now. All new radiators added, also a check for the HeatControl folder added. For some radiators I changed the flag "isDeployable = true" in order to activate the automatic (so far it seems to work - if this is wrong, please correct me). Who will test this keep an eye open for errors.

@PART[radiator-conformal-1]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.02
		isDeployable = true
		radiatorArea = 10
		upgradeCost = 5
		upgradeTechReqMk2 = heatManagementSystems
		upgradeTechReqMk3 = advHeatManagement
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 2000
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-conformal-2]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.08
		isDeployable = true
		radiatorArea = 40
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 8000
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-conformal-3]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.5
		isDeployable = true
		radiatorArea = 250
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 50000
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-fixed-1]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.025
		isDeployable = false
		radiatorArea = 10
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 2500
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-fixed-2]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.005
		isDeployable = false
		radiatorArea = 2
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 500
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-fixed-3]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.5
		isDeployable = false
		radiatorArea = 200
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 50000
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-fixed-4]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 1.875
		isDeployable = false
		radiatorArea = 750
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 187500
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-surface-125-1]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.013
		isDeployable = false
		radiatorArea = 5
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 1300
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-surface-25-1]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.025
		isDeployable = false
		radiatorArea = 10
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 2500
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-surface-375-1]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.038
		isDeployable = false
		radiatorArea = 15
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 3800
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-universal-1]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.19
		isDeployable = true
		radiatorArea = 60
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 19000
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-universal-2]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 1
		isDeployable = true
		radiatorArea = 300
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 100000
    	}
}

@PART[radiator-universal-3]:NEEDS[HeatControl]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = FNRadiator
		partMass = 0.76
		isDeployable = true
		radiatorArea = 230
		upgradeCost = 5
	}

RESOURCE
    	{
		name = WasteHeat
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 76000
    	}
}

Have fun testing this.

Neat trick, I will verify

14 hours ago, captinjoehenry said:

What tech do you need to unlock to get the upgraded pebble bed reactor?

First note, the Pebble Bed reactor does not have a sngle upgrade tech but actualy has 4 tech levels. The upgraded techs are  normaly any tech following the tech which unlocked this first version. They gradualy make the reactor more powerfull with higher Isp.

On 8-5-2016 at 8:34 PM, Nansuchao said:

Ok, now that happened to me too. I have to admit that is funny (at the beginning)

RN1Yd1c.jpg

THis should be fixed with the latest version

Yes, it's fixed now. However in the last version I'm unable to set a TTJ in "Atmospheric mode" when attached to a Omega reactor, is it intended? 

Another weird and annoying thing, the Closed Cycle Gas Core Engine miss the Yaw-Gimbal.

I noticed another issue, it is the plasma core antimatter reactor, it occurs when you are playing sience mode and don't have any upgrades for it, when right clicking it in the VAB, the menu locks upp and only displays "New Text" (alot of them)

In sandbox everything works fine (guess it is because you have the upgrade)

Picture of how it looks: http://postimg.org/image/comiqsxn5/full/

3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Yes, it's fixed now. However in the last version I'm unable to set a TTJ in "Atmospheric mode" when attached to a Omega reactor, is it intended? 

Another weird and annoying thing, the Closed Cycle Gas Core Engine miss the Yaw-Gimbal.

No, apparently I forgot to add oxygen as a compatible propellant for this reacotor.

But about oxygen , there is a problem with stuff at very high temperature, it become super reactive. The problem is that any oxydising propellant which includes air, water and CO2, the reactor needs an anti oxidising coating prevent is from oxidising the reactor. However, in order to use any reducing agent like Hydrogen , you need a anti reducing agent.

Current Turbojet allows you to switch from air intake to, hydrogen. In reality this is a problem as you cannot use both a reducing coating and anti oxidating coating. At least not a very long time. I'm thinking about limiting the thermal turboject to oxydising (and inert) propellants only.

Edited by FreeThinker

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Exactly in what situation are you getting this effect. Notice there might be other effects involved like core temperature which need yo heat up and atmospheric effects

This is in space and as the engine has so much thrust it is run for less than a minute in almost all burns.  Its core temperature hangs around 200/2500 and the BaseMaxISP and the CaculateISP never changes as far as I can tell.

Ok now there is another issue.  When I send the data from my AI cores to my science lab my science lab does not gain any data and I lose the science and such from the ai core

Edited by captinjoehenry

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

But about oxygen , there is a problem with stuff at very high temperature, it become super reactive. The problem is that any oxydising propellant which includes air, water and CO2, the reactor needs an anti oxidising coating prevent is from oxidising the reactor. However, in order to use any reducing agent like Hydrogen , you need a anti reducing agent.

If it were for a real spacecraft, superheated pure oxygen would probably be the last thing I would like to have around. ;-)

I've an issue with the nuclear ramjet. If I have any fuel tanks on board whatsoever, even if they're emptied before the flight, then the ramjets will go to liquid fuel mode and can't be changed back to atmospheric. Everything works fine if I just don't have any fuel tanks on board though. Is there something I'm missing?

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Current Turbojet allows you to switch from air intake to, hydrogen. In reality this is a problem as you cannot use both a reducing coating and anti oxidating coating. At least not a very long time. I'm thinking about limiting the thermal turboject to oxydising (and inert) propellants only.

As someone who still remembers quite a bit of their High School chemistry classes, as well as working at my dad's auto repair shop, I have a few reasons to disagree with limiting the thermal turbojet (or thermal engines of any kind) to using only oxidizing propellants, even if they primarily operate in the atmosphere.

Firstly, an oxyacetylene cutting torch works because of 2 things:

1. The metal has been heated above a certain temperature by the oxygen-acetylene flame.
  2. The jet of oxygen gas combines with the metal in a violent oxidation reaction, and the products are blown out of the cut by the force of the gas jet.
  • In other words, the only purpose of the flame is to get the metal hot enough that it will burn when the oxygen is introduced, the oxygen does the real work.

Secondly, so long as the propellant isn't Fluorine, every current and proposed metal alloy that I can think of that is suitable to use in the high-temperature/high-pressure environment inside of a thermal turbojet is practically immune to chemical attack by reducing propellants. This isn't even something that was designed in over years of research and development, it's simply due to the fact that reducing most metals is harder than oxidizing them.

In fact, the years of research and development on alloys suitable for use in aerospace engines were mostly devoted to making those alloys stronger, retain that strength at high temperatures, and resistant to OXIDATION.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that oxidation is the much larger problem here, so it doesn't make sense to limit the thermal turbojet to only oxidizing or inert propellants. As far as the materials of the thermal turbojet are concerned, the reducing propellants are "inert" enough to not make a difference one way or another.

36 minutes ago, SciMan said:

As someone who still remembers quite a bit of their High School chemistry classes, as well as working at my dad's auto repair shop, I have a few reasons to disagree with limiting the thermal turbojet (or thermal engines of any kind) to using only oxidizing propellants, even if they primarily operate in the atmosphere.

Firstly, an oxyacetylene cutting torch works because of 2 things:

1. The metal has been heated above a certain temperature by the oxygen-acetylene flame.
  2. The jet of oxygen gas combines with the metal in a violent oxidation reaction, and the products are blown out of the cut by the force of the gas jet.
  • In other words, the only purpose of the flame is to get the metal hot enough that it will burn when the oxygen is introduced, the oxygen does the real work.

Secondly, so long as the propellant isn't Fluorine, every current and proposed metal alloy that I can think of that is suitable to use in the high-temperature/high-pressure environment inside of a thermal turbojet is practically immune to chemical attack by reducing propellants. This isn't even something that was designed in over years of research and development, it's simply due to the fact that reducing most metals is harder than oxidizing them.

In fact, the years of research and development on alloys suitable for use in aerospace engines were mostly devoted to making those alloys stronger, retain that strength at high temperatures, and resistant to OXIDATION.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that oxidation is the much larger problem here, so it doesn't make sense to limit the thermal turbojet to only oxidizing or inert propellants. As far as the materials of the thermal turbojet are concerned, the reducing propellants are "inert" enough to not make a difference one way or another.

Thanks for this bit of info.  It is really nice to hear from someone with what amounts to real life experience with this type of thing.

There seems to be an issue with the warp drives in my install. Whenever I select one in the VAB, this:

[LOG 18:25:09.778] KSPI - AlcubierreDrive Master -401740 Started
[EXC 18:25:09.802] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    FNPlugin.AlcubierreDrive.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 18:25:09.803] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
[EXC 18:25:09.822] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
[EXC 18:25:09.842] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

is spammed continuously in the log until the part is removed, or until it causes the game to crash, which will always happen after a minute or so. I'm not sure what's happening here. I uninstalled all other mods to check that it wasn't a conflict, and I tried a clean install of KSP and the mod, but no cigar. Help will be much appreciated, and if you need more of the log, just let me know and I'll link it to you with pastebin.

For anyone that wishes to update my new magnetic nozzle with working fairings, replace the modulejettision section with:

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleJettison
	jettisonName = fairingL
	bottomNodeName = bottom
	isFairing = False
	jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
	jettisonForce = 1
	jettisonDirection = 0 -1 0
}
MODULE
{
	name = ModuleJettison
	jettisonName = fairingR
	bottomNodeName = bottom
	isFairing = False
	jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
	jettisonForce = 1
	jettisonDirection = 0 1 0
}

RN1Yd1c.jpg

20 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

THis should be fixed with the latest version

yeeaaa, nope. i still have this problem. (downloaded most recent version a few hours before posting). trying to use omega/thermal jets to make water-jet speed boat.

1 hour ago, Rushligh said:

RN1Yd1c.jpg

yeeaaa, nope. i still have this problem. (downloaded most recent version a few hours before posting). trying to use omega/thermal jets to make water-jet speed boat.

please describe the exact steps to replicate

any time i use the thermal electric generator or the omega reactor my ship slowly begins to rise from the point of each part (as though attached to some invisible string and baloon). I'm going to try the link on spacedock again with a fresh version of 1.1.2 and see if i have the same issue. perhaps it's a problem with tweakscale?
i AM using them in 1.25m size.

7 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

please describe the exact steps to replicate

it's really easy. In SPH/VAB select a probe as root part, scale the thermal generator to 1.250, attach a same size reactor and launch. You'll have correct mass in editor and negative mass in flight.

1 minute ago, Nansuchao said:

it's really easy. In SPH/VAB select a probe as root part, scale the thermal generator to 1.250, attach a same size reactor and launch. You'll have correct mass in editor and negative mass in flight.

Are you using the latest Tweakscale ...there might be compatibilty issue if you use an old version.

9 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Are you using the latest Tweakscale ...there might be compatibilty issue if you use an old version.

I can check now, I have the latest dev version of Tweakscale. Just give me a few minutes.

EDIT: It is fixed for me.

Edited by Nansuchao

11 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

I can check now, I have the latest dev version of Tweakscale. Just give me a few minutes.

EDIT: It is fixed for me.

With the latest tweakscale? If so, then the latest version is a requirment for KSPI and IFS, which rely on the same mechanism to maintain the conrect mass

Edited by FreeThinker

10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

What about Tweakscale Version v2.2.10 , this is the version I test agains

I'll download it and test.

EDIT: With the latest Tweakscale it seems to work correctly.

Edited by Nansuchao

Sorry for reporting this, but there is a little bug in Interstellar Extended .

1.8.16 seems to contain a broken Solar Sail copy. Solar Sail still hasn't been updated for 1.1.2.

Edited by _Astra_
little

2 hours ago, _Astra_ said:

Sorry for reporting this, but there is a little bug in Interstellar Extended .

1.8.16 seems to contain a broken Solar Sail copy. Solar Sail still hasn't been updated for 1.1.2.

Mmm, so It doesn't work anymore? That too bad but I do not intend to fix it as there is another mod SolarSailNavigator , which has replaced it with an improved version also introduced a  Navigation tool, something KSPI never had.

3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

I'll download it and test.

EDIT: With the latest Tweakscale it seems to work correctly.

Alright, at what version of Tweakscale did you have the weird floating problems?

Btw, could anyone confirm KSPI-E work on CKAN again?

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.