FreeThinker

[1.8.1, 1.7.3/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5/1.3.1] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.24.3 Continued Development Thread

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

hey, just wondering, where does the text "maxOperationalTemp" come from?

Edit: It appears to be part of Deadly reentry, not sure what they do but it doesn't look good for radiators

Deadly Reentry added it.

It is temperature when part start burning.

 

By the way FAR is incompatible with large parts like solar sails, magnetic scoop and certain deployable radiators/receivers.

 

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Deadly Reentry added it.

It is temperature when part start burning.

1

definitely not a good thing for radiators, going to remove it on radiators

4 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

By the way FAR is incompatible with large parts like solar sails, magnetic scoop and certain deployable radiators/receivers.

 

Could you make a list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed something last night that probably can't be changed but might be worth mentioning. I Aerobraked a giant asteroid through Kerbin's atmosphere and all the heat it built up passed through the ship into the radiators part temperature. I was still able to run the engine after without overheating the radiators which i probably shouldn't have been able to. Any way to link the part temp with KSPI's actual wastheat system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

I noticed something last night that probably can't be changed but might be worth mentioning. I Aerobraked a giant asteroid through Kerbin's atmosphere and all the heat it built up passed through the ship into the radiators part temperature. I was still able to run the engine after without overheating the radiators which i probably shouldn't have been able to. Any way to link the part temp with KSPI's actual wastheat system?

Yes, I think I could do that, it already has a facility for that but it currently ignores stock heat, but I could change that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, I think I could do that, it already has a facility for that but it currently ignores stock heat, but I could change that 

Cool. I think my 4400k radiators were probably running at 6-8000k equivalent. Very glowy but otherwise happy. That's not right. :confused:

Edited by SpaceMouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I guess I should simply remove this broken feature, it is pretty much replaced by the stock research lab.

i liked that feature tho, you could send out a probe with the core ai and after awhile recover it and put the science in a lab to process.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aaronsta1 said:

i liked that feature tho, you could send out a probe with the core ai and after awhile recover it and put the science in a lab to process.. 

When did it work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

When did it work?

a few versions back.. maybe 1.3? i dunno it hasnt worked for awhile.. i did make a post about it before.

 

also about the thermal turbojet.. it seems to be broken all together now.. it blows up

 

 

 

Edited by aaronsta1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aaronsta1 said:

 it doesnt use any good fuels anymore like hydrazine.. so all i can get is like 50 m/s delta V from a tank of hydrogen or methane.

There is now a distinction between reducing and oxidising propellants. As an alternative for the turbojet you might try Hydrogen/IntakeAir LFO mode on the thermal nozzle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

There is now a distinction between reducing and oxidising propellants. As an alternative for the turbojet you might try Hydrogen/IntakeAir LFO mode on the thermal nozzle

yeah i cant get it to work at all no matter what fuel i try.. as soon as i power up, it explodes.. the log says it was over 10,000K 

and the startup sound is REALLY LOUD. :/

PS, i really liked the Krusader engine.. yeah it was sort of cheaty since it put out like 50,000 KN of thrust with the positron reactor and had like 10,000 DV with just a 3.75 tank of hydrazine. but this game really has no other option for doing something large scale.. instead of taking it out you could have just made it really expensive.

Edited by aaronsta1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2018 at 9:36 AM, SpaceMouse said:

Cool. I think my 4400k radiators were probably running at 6-8000k equivalent. Very glowy but otherwise happy. That's not right. :confused:

I think that's my problem.. 7 GW worth of cooling.. and stock heat still detonates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next release will add the graphene blanket radiator

CMQu7aW.png

For solving all you extreme cooling requirements

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 1.20.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 is available from here

Released on 2018-09-30

  • Added Graphene Blanket Radiator
  • Added Hydrogen/Fluorine LFO mode to thermal nozzle
  • Added Intake Air + Hydrogen afterburner mode to Turbo/Ramjet Nozzle
  • Balance: Limited Positron Antimatter Reactor , Gas Core Reactors and Lightbulb to Single Atomic propellants
  • Balance increased overall maximum temperatures radiators
  • Balance: increase none graphene radiator maximum temperature to 3200K
  • Fixed excessive wasteheat production when Thermal nozzle is connected to Positron Antimatter reactor
  • Fixes most of the excessive Thermal Nozzle/Turbojet/Ramjet Heat issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.20.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 is available from here

Released on 2018-09-30

  • Added Graphene Blanket Radiator
  • Added Hydrogen/Fluorine LFO mode to thermal nozzle
  • Added Intake Air + Hydrogen afterburner mode to Turbo/Ramjet Nozzle
  • Balance: Limited Positron Antimatter Reactor , Gas Core Reactors and Lightbulb to Single Atomic propellants
  • Balance increased overall maximum temperatures radiators
  • Balance: increase none graphene radiator maximum temperature to 3200K
  • Fixed excessive wasteheat production when Thermal nozzle is connected to Positron Antimatter reactor
  • Fixes most of the excessive Thermal Nozzle/Turbojet/Ramjet Heat issues

High surface radiators at 3200 K would have funny effects on atmosphere :p

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.20.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 is available from here

Released on 2018-09-30

  • Added Graphene Blanket Radiator
  • Added Hydrogen/Fluorine LFO mode to thermal nozzle
  • Added Intake Air + Hydrogen afterburner mode to Turbo/Ramjet Nozzle
  • Balance: Limited Positron Antimatter Reactor , Gas Core Reactors and Lightbulb to Single Atomic propellants
  • Balance increased overall maximum temperatures radiators
  • Balance: increase none graphene radiator maximum temperature to 3200K
  • Fixed excessive wasteheat production when Thermal nozzle is connected to Positron Antimatter reactor
  • Fixes most of the excessive Thermal Nozzle/Turbojet/Ramjet Heat issues

hmmm, I just tried it and Thermal Turbojet/Thermal Nozzle aren't exploding when on reactors but when putting on a Thermal Receiver they blow up nearly instantly. 
Am I doing something wrong or is it still releated to this bug/imbalance?

I have just a H2 Tank, Mk1 Inline Thermal Receiver and the Thermal Rocket Nozzle with a few Radiators. But it explodes faster than the radiators can heat up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tobimai said:

hmmm, I just tried it and Thermal Turbojet/Thermal Nozzle aren't exploding when on reactors but when putting on a Thermal Receiver they blow up nearly instantly. 
Am I doing something wrong or is it still releated to this bug/imbalance?

I have just a H2 Tank, Mk1 Inline Thermal Receiver and the Thermal Rocket Nozzle with a few Radiators.

2

Could you try the following, open WarpPlugin\Parts\BeamedPower\Thermal\MicrowaveThermalPowerReceiver\MTER-S.cfg

and lower the engineHeatProductionMult until it no longer explodes?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tobimai said:

 But it explodes faster than the radiators can heat up. 

 

Wait, at what tech level is your heat control? Also, do you have any mods installed that alter maximum part temperature?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my personal 1.20.2-issues: (tested in new sandbox@max tech)

PlasmaJetMagnetoIntetialFusionReactor + Turbojet/Ramjet/Krusader = very limited fuel selection, no air/atmo intake possible,  Krusader overheats with minimal thrust, jets got 0.0 thrust, 
PositronAntimatterReactor + Turbojet/Ramjet/Krusader = very limited fuel selection, no air/atmo intake possible, 

Edited by comchris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, Huston, very very very very... weird..! :o

I was about to report the same problem that tobimai is describing(Youtube: Thermal Turbojet still overheating), but then I thought "lets see, how it behaves without a thermal generator.." (because its generating thrust even if its not directly connected to a thermal power receiver)

-> Thermal Turbojet generating thrust without a heatsource

(I tried to modify the config files, but it didn't changed anything.)

Thanks again for your work!

Edit: Now I have done a Test with a totally virgin installation(1.4.5) with only the kspi-e patch(contend of the zip-file) added: Dosen't matter, the Turbojet-engine is still giving thrust without a reactor or a thermal receiver attached.

Edited by BadlyDrawnBoy
additional information added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BadlyDrawnBoy, although I was able to view your image, I recommend that in the future you should host your screenshots on Imgur instead - unlike Online-Speicher/web.de, Imgur does not have a file expiry date, and Imgur images can be directly embedded into forum posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sumghai said:

@BadlyDrawnBoy, although I was able to view your image, I recommend that in the future you should host your screenshots on Imgur instead - unlike Online-Speicher/web.de, Imgur does not have a file expiry date, and Imgur images can be directly embedded into forum posts.

Okay, I wasn`t aware of it - right, I guess, they must have added the limit in the last few years - my experience withe the ad-driven 'free' ones was always the issue what you talking about - so over all it's a service I'm paying for.. (and right now my real place, my webspace, is temporary down).

Edited by BadlyDrawnBoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Download Version 1.20.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 from here

Released on 2018-10-03

  • Compiled against KSP 1.4.5
  • Added Triangle Solar Receiver
  • Improved matching radiator energy transfer with maximum radiator temperature
  • Balance: Increased power output Target Fusion Reactor and Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Reactor
  • Balance: restored Positron Antimatter reactor ability to use air and non cryogenic propellants
  • Fixed thrust of thermal nozzle not connected to thermal source
  • Fixed instant overheating Thermal Nozzle connected with inline thermal receiver
  • Fixed buoyancy of convection radiators which now sink in water
  • Fixed Part filters
Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that some of the major problems have been solved, we can think of more content. One Thing I always wanted to add to Interstellar was contract support

There are several kinds of contracts I can think of, ranging from exploration, infrastructure, mining and eventually colonization

The problem is that development would require quite some time, which I simply don't have much of.

So I wonder if anyone is willing to help me create some interstellar oriented contract using 

 

So who wants to volunteer?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.