KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Looks good to me, I commited the code. I don't have time to verify it, but I assume you know what your are talking about. Perhaps you can also help with other functions. I really appreciate all the help I can get because KSPI is simply too big to be maintained in one person freetime. I want to play KSPI in KSP 1.0 also you know ;)

I discovered it while pulling out the sail as a standalone solar sail navigation plugin. I know what you mean about wanting to play. I want to get the sail working as a practical transportation system (in the game too ;) ). I can take a look at other parts, too.

I discovered it while pulling out the sail as a standalone solar sail navigation plugin. I know what you mean about wanting to play. I want to get the sail working as a practical transportation system (in the game too ;) ). I can take a look at other parts, too.

Well traveling with a solarsail is everything but practical. It's kind of like using Electric Engines with an extremely low thrust. The only advantage is that you can increase timewarp. I found it only practical for putting a Solar Power station in a very low orbit around the Sun. This is where the solar Sail truely shines, as it's cheap and very light. Doing the same without a solar sail requires insane large amount of Delta V, especialy with Higher Scales.

Edited by FreeThinker

Well traveling with a solarsail is everything but practical. It's kind of like using Electric Engines with an extremely low thrust. The only advantage is that you can increate timewarp. I found it only practical for putting a Solar Power station in a very low orbit around the Sun. This is where the solar Sail truely shines, as it's cheap and very light. Doing the same without a solar sail requires insane large amount of Delta V, especialy with Higher Scales.

I was wondering how to make solar sails useful. That's a very good idea!

I prefer you the modders to create the mod of compatibility with ksp 1.0 which will work with all mods ever seen, what you think about this?

That's simply not possible because we are forced to use methods/properties are are very specific to version. Only part Mods could achieve this, or highly specialized tools

Well traveling with a solarsail is everything but practical. It's kind of like using Electric Engines with an extremely low thrust. The only advantage is that you can increate timewarp. I found it only practical for putting a Solar Power station in a very low orbit around the Sun. This is where the solar Sail truely shines, as it's cheap and very light. Doing the same without a solar sail requires insane large amount of Delta V, especialy with Higher Scales.

KSP has very nice tools to plan high thrust maneuvers by showing you what the new orbit looks like after the planned burns. I'm working on doing the same for sails by predicting what the trajectory and final orbit will be after executing a series of attitude maneuvers (which determines thrust with a sail). Without knowing where you're going, yes, low thrust isn't practical.

I have not seen this problem yet. Have you updated to KSP 1.0? Have you removed TechManager?

I am also having the same issue. I'm running the x86 version on Linux. I have not tried on my windows machine. Also I have removed the Tech Manager

as for the deleted models. you could take them from the old KSP version and package them with the mod as a temporary measure. I wish I was any good at modeling to help, but I'm not.

With regard to the engine models, at least, you can grab a download I made here. It contains the simian engines pack, which has quite nice engine models with designs inspired by the warp nacells from Star Trek, as well as a series of MM patches [under the name StarLion Industries (because my given name means 'Lion' :cool:)] that converts them into the various KSPI engines.

Changing:

fx_exhaustFlame_blue_small = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

To:

fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

Gave this:

screenshot2_zpsyi8vqbwv.png

Anything more than that would need a custom effect I think. That would be possible, but I'm not sure how to achieve it at the moment, so would need to look into it.

Oh, also there seems to be big problems for me getting the Vista to work in 1.0. I had to drop in to a saved 0.90. Everything seems fine until lighting the engine, and it immediately flames out and all the fuel tanks start reporting their current level as "NaN".

I seem to be having an issue on 1.0 that causes me to be unable to attach many objects from the interstellar mod. The issue isn't attaching it to a stock part, it's when I try to attach it to another interstellar part (for instance, a generator to a reactor will not attach for me, but a reactor will attach to any stock part).

Oh, also there seems to be big problems for me getting the Vista to work in 1.0. I had to drop in to a saved 0.90. Everything seems fine until lighting the engine, and it immediately flames out and all the fuel tanks start reporting their current level as "NaN".

I fixed all Part note connecting issues, upgrated to the latest CRP and implemented Tweakscale for most parts now.

However, it appears the Several engines no longer work. They also want to blow up. This going to take longer than I hoped it would.

I declare KSPI 1.0 broken for now.

Edited by FreeThinker

so, the modders needs to remake their mods to the new parts system, textures in .dds format is a good thing to make game so much more stable and lagless, and loading time much short than before, i'm still waiting for KW Rocketry, KSPI-E, etc. which will be converted to 1.0 game version, i hope this will not take long time. So, fly safe :D

I was trying to produce power using the small Electric Generator with an OMEGA Fusion reactor, but I'm always given the message "Fusion plasma heating cannot be guaranteed, reducing power is recommended," and the generator produces no power. Using the reactor to power other things, like the turbojet seems to work fine, and the generator will work fine with fission reactors, so why is it not working with the fusion one?

I have been playing with KSPI since 0.24, I can't even touch the game until mod is updated for new version. Thanks so much Freethinker for taking the task of maintaining mod.

I write this since you ask for contribution. I am not good at graphic design or programming but i can say a thing or two about science. Its a great mod but there is one concern for me. Game becomes too easy when i get fusion and vista engine. I can simply go anywhere without thinking about dV anymore. It becomes too overpowered at some point.

That's the whole point of using atomics.

log_scale.png

Now think about the energy density of Anti-Matter...

That's the whole point of using atomics.

Now think about the energy density of Anti-Matter...

Thanks for nice picture. I believe realism is not the issue here, but fun is, the sense of challenge. struggle to reach next cornerstone in space etc. If i feel overpowered again, I will find a multiple solar system mod and use the mod with its name, truly interstellar.

KSP has very nice tools to plan high thrust maneuvers by showing you what the new orbit looks like after the planned burns. I'm working on doing the same for sails by predicting what the trajectory and final orbit will be after executing a series of attitude maneuvers (which determines thrust with a sail). Without knowing where you're going, yes, low thrust isn't practical.

Perhaps I should put it in a seperate download, like I did for Interstellar Fuel Switch, so people who like Solar Sails can use it without installing KSPI Extended

Edited by FreeThinker

Thanks for nice picture. I believe realism is not the issue here, but fun is, the sense of challenge. struggle to reach next cornerstone in space etc. If i feel overpowered again, I will find a multiple solar system mod and use the mod with its name, truly interstellar.

That's because everything in KSP is scaled to about 10% of what it is in the real world.

In reality, going to the other planets with manned missions is just about impossible using chemical rockets. The distances are vast, the dV required immense. And using Hohmann transfers, takes many years.

Edited by SymbolicFrank

I was trying to produce power using the small Electric Generator with an OMEGA Fusion reactor, but I'm always given the message "Fusion plasma heating cannot be guaranteed, reducing power is recommended," and the generator produces no power. Using the reactor to power other things, like the turbojet seems to work fine, and the generator will work fine with fission reactors, so why is it not working with the fusion one?

Because you need to switch on your generator to KTEC Solid State generator, then message will not display anymore :)

Changing:

fx_exhaustFlame_blue_small = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

To:

fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

Gave this:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/Citizen247/screenshot2_zpsyi8vqbwv.png

Anything more than that would need a custom effect I think. That would be possible, but I'm not sure how to achieve it at the moment, so would need to look into it.

Looks like an improvement, thanks.

Looks like an improvement, thanks.

I've started to understand how the particle system works, it's basically a Unity particle system saved as a .mu. I'm going to try and put something together tonight, though I only have a copy of unity 5 so I'm not sure how compatible it'll be, but I'll give it a try.

Perhaps I should put it in a seperate download, like I did for Interstellar Fuel Switch, so people who like Solar Sails can use it without installing KSPI Extended

I have an alpha quality standalone plugin running already. I should be able to post it soon. I changed the partmodule name so it shouldn't conflict with "ModuleSolarSail" in KSPI-E if that's loaded too. I'm working on getting KSPI-E compiling on my system so that I can test that my plugin doesn't conflict and help look for bugs.

That's because everything in KSP is scaled to about 10% of what it is in the real world.

In reality, going to the other planets with manned missions is just about impossible using chemical rockets. The distances are vast, the dV required immense. And using Hohmann transfers, takes many years.

Amen, brother. Not that I don't sympathize with yafeshan's desire to keep the game interesting, but I'm a huge advocate of having access to better-than-chemical rockets for this game (after a hefty science and funding curve, of course, to climb the various eras to space!) that enable the potential travel times and power that we'd need in real-life to do anything of consequence in a human timeframe.

My personal gameplay preference (and role play preference) is to use those high delta-v engines to get places faster, not to explore the entire system in one go (in 50 years). I like the idea of a riding fire for a Duna rendezvous in 2 weeks followed by 180 spin, hard braking, and a docking/refuel mission. The VISTA's were great for that! As long as you remember to put other engines on too for minor maneuvers in close quarters (oops...). I will compromise and say I don't mind some kind of simplistic "depth" mechanism to put some long-term limitations on certain parts, as long as they aren't so restrictive/realistic that they ruin the fun of the part.

The best parts of KSP to me are the initial missions, the first lander, the first NERVA drive, the first nuclear turbojet, the first NTJ SSTO, and then the first fusion SSTO that can make it to Minimus (or Duna). Once I get past the NERVA/ion, I'm ready for more. Like replaying a long-played RPG with an imported level 20 character - let's see what real power can do!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this has been a strange issue of mine (irreproduceable, alas, as I'm running vanilla 1.0 to try it out anew), but I've always had a hard time with keeping fusion reactors powered. They seemed to be able to generate enough power for ignition, *sometimes*, but once in flight they would slowly run out of thermalpower, then megajoules, and stall in sub-orbital. Or during warping. Or sometimes would not ignite at all.

Would you ever consider a different mechanism for powering reactors and generators? Like if a generator (and a rocket or turbojet nozzle) is attached to a fusion reactor, there's a check involved and instead of having the thermal power resource compete between the turbojet and the generator, it simply reduces the thermal output of the reactor by 25% (or some value) but keeps it running without having to run into wierd thermal power demand juggling issues? (Did that mess make any sense?)

I just found the more recent versions hard to consistently use without some kind of weird "flame-out" happening, or without some strange operating rules.

I could also be using them wrong, but I don't recall Fractal's version of them having this problem. Just plug a generator on, and they never bleed themselves dry of thermalpower while under thrust. (Not a criticism, I just don't know how you made all the new stuff work behind the scenes..)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.