KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Out of interest, do you have any plans to adapt the WasteHeat mechanism from KSPI to the stock heating system, now that's a thing?

Yes, the new stock heating system is defiantly something I want to look in for a more realistic model of the wasteheat processing. Both for transporting it away (with heat pump converting stock heat to WAsteheat) and Wasteheat back into stockheat at the radiators.

Yes, the new stock heating system is defiantly something I want to look in for a more realistic model of the wasteheat processing. Both for transporting it away (with heat pump converting stock heat to WAsteheat) and Wasteheat back into stockheat at the radiators.

So if I understand right you are shoehorning in some converters between the two systems and calling it good? or is that just a stopgap to get a working update out while everything is more thoroughly overhauled? or am I just misunderstanding everything?

Amen, brother. Not that I don't sympathize with yafeshan's desire to keep the game interesting, but I'm a huge advocate of having access to better-than-chemical rockets for this game (after a hefty science and funding curve, of course, to climb the various eras to space!) that enable the potential travel times and power that we'd need in real-life to do anything of consequence in a human timeframe.

My personal gameplay preference (and role play preference) is to use those high delta-v engines to get places faster, not to explore the entire system in one go (in 50 years). I like the idea of a riding fire for a Duna rendezvous in 2 weeks followed by 180 spin, hard braking, and a docking/refuel mission. The VISTA's were great for that! As long as you remember to put other engines on too for minor maneuvers in close quarters (oops...). I will compromise and say I don't mind some kind of simplistic "depth" mechanism to put some long-term limitations on certain parts, as long as they aren't so restrictive/realistic that they ruin the fun of the part.

The best parts of KSP to me are the initial missions, the first lander, the first NERVA drive, the first nuclear turbojet, the first NTJ SSTO, and then the first fusion SSTO that can make it to Minimus (or Duna). Once I get past the NERVA/ion, I'm ready for more. Like replaying a long-played RPG with an imported level 20 character - let's see what real power can do!

I totally agree! That's the same as I do.

I also like to use realistic near-future things in the mid-game. Like the hybrid pulse-detonation engine I made, where all performance parameters are taken from various research reports. I will release that as an add-on to KSPIE when everything is up and running.

I even fixed the various stock jet engines, because they made an error in the ISP calculation (not counting the air as part of the fuel).

But when I have done all the challenging stuff, I want the power to go places and build interesting stuff. Which requires serious power plants and engines :D

- - - Updated - - -

As it is, both forms of heat are waste heat, and interchangeable. The way KSPI handles it is quite realistic.

If you want to make a distinction, you could make two different circuits: one for the living quarters (keep between 273 and 303 Kelvin) and one for the rest (keep below their individual melting points).

But I would simply change the KSPI resource to the stock one.

Edit: as the stock heat isn't a resource, it's probably easiest to get rid of the wasteheat resource, and use the stock way.

Edited by SymbolicFrank

I was curious now that we're bringing up heating, do you have any plans to require the heat to actually be distributed? The entire craft is just kinda treated as one big heat source atm.

I don't know what FreeThinker wants to do with it, but the difference is that KSPI assumes that you have a cooling system (plumbing), while stock assumes you don't.

In stock it's just conduction heating between the structural elements, while in KSPI the heat is assumed to be collected by heat pipes and such.

KSP has very nice tools to plan high thrust maneuvers by showing you what the new orbit looks like after the planned burns. I'm working on doing the same for sails by predicting what the trajectory and final orbit will be after executing a series of attitude maneuvers (which determines thrust with a sail). Without knowing where you're going, yes, low thrust isn't practical.

If you can get that working, would it also work for long duration ion drive burns?

If you can get that working, would it also work for long duration ion drive burns?

It could be adapted to ion engines and other low thrust propulsion, if it also included a prediction of the propellant mass usage. The sail doesn't need that.

[h=2]Version 1.0.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0[/h] Released on 2015-05-02

• Fixed Part Nodes
  • Fixed Thermal Resources
  • Fixed Thermal Engine
  • ReplacedLqdHelium3 by LqdHe3
  • Replace UF4 by Enriched Uranium
  • Suppressed Toolbar start message
  • Included prototype Community Tech Tree
  • Included Interstellar Fuel Switch
  • Integrated with Community Techtree

Version 1.0.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0

Released on 2015-05-02

• Fixed Part Nodes
  • Fixed Thermal Resources
  • Fixed Thermal Engine
  • ReplacedLqdHelium3 by LqdHe3
  • Replace UF4 by Enriched Uranium
  • Suppressed Toolbar start message
  • Included prototype Community Tech Tree
  • Included Interstellar Fuel Switch
  • Integrated with Community Techtree

Beautiful! I really love the Fuel Switcher plugin.

Btw, what files should I take if I only need functional radiator panels?

Beautiful! I really love the Fuel Switcher plugin.

Btw, what files should I take if I only need functional radiator panels?

Technically only WarpPlugin.Dll, OpenResourceSystem_1_4_3, WasteHead resource definiyion, and the Radiator Part Folders. You will need a WasteHeat Pump module to to Convert KSP Heat into KSPI Wasteheat which can be radiated by KSPI Radiators. I don't know any module which does this, but it should not so hard to create it.

Edited by FreeThinker

Wow, that was quick! Thank you FreeThinker for keeing this great mod alive. Unfortunately, the game loading freezes at several parts. I tried a crude test by just deleting the problematic part and see if it loads. The list of the parts at which the loading got stuck is as follows:

"Tweakable AntiMatter Reactor"

"FNFissionFusionCatReactor"

"LargeFussionReactor"

..all of the other reactors..

"AluminiumHybrid engine"

"TweakableMagneticNozzle"

"FNMethaneEngine"

"InterstellarPlasmeThruster"

..and then I stopped trying. I'm using otherwise stock KSP 1.0.2

I followed the istructions to the point- Installed Boris KSPI 0.90, intalled TweakScale and then KSPI Extended. I only skipped step 3 (Regolith and RoverDudes warp drive). I can't find any logs - It didn't create the log files as when the game crashes, because it did techically didn't crashed -it just froze. Is there any log to be seen for these cases?

Edit: The new version 1.0.2 works just fine! Thanks.

Edited by LarssonKlaksson

* The tweakScale config for interstellarFuelSwith looks like it does not conserve the mass ratio of tanks. The TweakScale default was changed to preserve the mass ratio, so mass of stock tanks scales with scale^3 (since v2.0). Just mentioning this, in case you missed the change.

* If I understand these instructions right you're supposed to first install the latest TweakScale and then copy your bundled version (which might be older) over it? This is bound to cause problems at some point. So you should only do one OR the other. I am generally a bit skeptical about bundling because it can cause people to overwrite the mod with an older version, and keeps outdated versions alive longer than necessary.

so, with the new updated mod im able to connect reactors, generators, radiators, stock fuel tanks and modded fuel tanks (from KW Rocketry) to my ship without any troubles?

I could not help but chuckle over this.

I was trying to re-build a heavy interplanetary tug that I had in previous version. Started with a computer core for the control and then tried putting the ARM 3.75 M tanks on top and bottom.

In the initial 1.0 update, the top tank attached no problem, but the bottom one did not. I looked here and found that it was a known issue and being worked on.

I saw the 1.0.1 update, this morning, and actually managed to download the 1.0.2 update instead.

But when I try that connection now, the top tank connects to the top of the bottom connection, and the bottom tank connects to the bottom of the top connection, leaving the Computer Core clipped between 2 layers of tanks...

Like I said, I got a chuckle out of it. Good luck with catching all the bugs with this new release. I can see how what they added and changed would effect a lot of this plugin

* If I understand these instructions right you're supposed to first install the latest TweakScale and then copy your bundled version (which might be older) over it? This is bound to cause problems at some point. So you should only do one OR the other. I am generally a bit skeptical about bundling because it can cause people to overwrite the mod with an older version, and keeps outdated versions alive longer than necessary.

The bundling is just temporarily until the full release. It's just try to prevent most issues due to missing files.

- - - Updated - - -

* The tweakScale config for interstellarFuelSwith looks like it does not conserve the mass ratio of tanks. The TweakScale default was changed to preserve the mass ratio, so mass of stock tanks scales with scale^3 (since v2.0). Just mentioning this, in case you missed the change.

Thank for the heads up. Still I would have like these things not suddenly to change. I guess you have your reasons. But people like me don't expect them to change suddenly. THis is forcing me to to use my own scales.

- - - Updated - - -

I could not help but chuckle over this.

I was trying to re-build a heavy interplanetary tug that I had in previous version. Started with a computer core for the control and then tried putting the ARM 3.75 M tanks on top and bottom.

In the initial 1.0 update, the top tank attached no problem, but the bottom one did not. I looked here and found that it was a known issue and being worked on.

I saw the 1.0.1 update, this morning, and actually managed to download the 1.0.2 update instead.

But when I try that connection now, the top tank connects to the top of the bottom connection, and the bottom tank connects to the bottom of the top connection, leaving the Computer Core clipped between 2 layers of tanks...

Like I said, I got a chuckle out of it. Good luck with catching all the bugs with this new release. I can see how what they added and changed would effect a lot of this plugin

This mod is simply very large, and I don't have to time to test everything. For that I need the help of everyone that actually takes the time to report a bug. Thanks

Edited by FreeThinker

- - - Updated - - -

This mod is simply very large, and I don't have to time to test everything. For that I need the help of everyone that actually takes the time to report a bug. Thanks

And that is why I just chuckled and then posted here

[h=2]Version 1.0.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0[/h] Released on 2015-05-02

• Fixed Fuel Flow Issues Thermal Nozzle
  • Fixed Connection Nodes on Computer Core
  • Improved Power stability Fusion Reactors
  • Included updated version of ToolBar
  • Excluded TweakScale from Patch

Hello and thank you for the awesome mod and your continued work on it! This is my first post in the KSP forums, so it may be a silly question.

I am trying to build an interstellar ship in sandbox and am trying to get the Antimatter reactor paired up with a Plasma Engine running Xenon. The engine says Xenon outputs 0.102kN per MW, and with a 405,000MW 3.5 Antimatter reactor it seems like it should be putting out much more than the 131kN I am getting. Where am I either not understanding or messing this up? Alternatively, is this a bug?

Thanks!

So I havent messed with KSPI since fractal was heading the project way back. I'd like to install / test now, but I'm finding the installation a bit confusing. The latest version (1.0.3) includes only patch files for ORSresource pack and regolith. I know I need (and currently have the latest verion of) tweakscale. When installing the boris version, do I need to have OpenResourceSystem, CommunityResourcePack and techmanager ? Since patches to those don't seem to exist?

Second question, regarding Regolith, since everything it did is now stock and RoverDude doesn't plan on releasing a 1.0x update, is it necessary?

I know these are probably dumb questions, I'm just trying to get the cleanest install possible with only what is necessary to reduce memory and possibility for bugs/conflicts with ksp or other mods.

When installing the boris version, do I need to have OpenResourceSystem, CommunityResourcePack and techmanager ? Since patches to those don't seem to exist?

Nope, everything is in the patch except Tweakscale

Second question, regarding Regolith, since everything it did is now stock and RoverDude doesn't plan on releasing a 1.0x update, is it necessary?

Nope, not at the moment

- - - Updated - - -

Hello and thank you for the awesome mod and your continued work on it! This is my first post in the KSP forums, so it may be a silly question.

I am trying to build an interstellar ship in sandbox and am trying to get the Antimatter reactor paired up with a Plasma Engine running Xenon. The engine says Xenon outputs 0.102kN per MW, and with a 405,000MW 3.5 Antimatter reactor it seems like it should be putting out much more than the 131kN I am getting. Where am I either not understanding or messing this up? Alternatively, is this a bug?

Thanks!

Most likely it is. All Sophisticated KSPI engines are messed up due to they way KSP 1.0 changed the the control of EnginesFX. In my next patch I plan to fix it. Now that I have properly fixed Thermal Nozzle, I should be able to repeat the same for all engines.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.