KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

@FreeThinker,

Sorry I've been AWOL for a while, but as I have not updated to 1.0 yet (and won't be doing so until I complete a major Duna mission I have planned- giving other mods I use more time to update as a side-benefit...) I haven't been able to play-test any of the latest releases...

I noticed, though, that no progress has yet been made on any of the remaining ISRU reactions I've been bugging you about... I don't know how many times I have to say this, but not having the Reverse Water Gas Shift (CO2 + H2 --> CO + H2O) or Solid Oxide CO2 Electrolysis (CO2 --> C + O2, the graphite can be cleared with blasts of superheated CO2 much like soot...) reactions is a MAJOR deterrent to Mars Direct-style Duna missions- as the Sabatier Reaction does NOT produce enough Water/Oxygen (another issue- in KSP-Interstellar the Sabatier used to produce O2 and Methane instead of H2O and Methane- I believe this still hasn't yet been fixed...) to burn all of the Methane produced- which hurts TREMENDOUSLY your mass-leveraging ratio on Hydrogen hauled from Kerbin if you have to dump some excess Methane into the atmosphere to get enough O2 to run your Meth/LOX chemical rockets...

Also, Kalloran wants to help out with KSP-I Extended however he can. He sent me a nice message about this earlier today... Get in touch with him and see which of the tasks I e-mailed him back about he'd like to do (or something else), could you please?

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

In short the message is just- I think it'd be nice if the 1.0.9 zip was updated to include a more recent version of Filter Extensions. Unless for some reason the one on CKAN is older than what you have, then well, not sure, but for anyone else having similar problems, Filter Extensions might be the cause. Somehow.

Well I used the latest version, but perhaps that one contains an problem. Thanks for notifying me.

Now that we have conveniant Universal Storage Fuel Switch Wegdes we can finally can implement ISRU

Solid Oxide CO2 Electrolysis (CO2 --> C + O2, the graphite can be cleared with blasts of superheated CO2 much like soot...)

Shouldn't the Solid Oxide CO2 electrolyses be : CO2+2e−→1/2*O2 + CO This makes things more realistic, easier (no soot) and more usefull as the CO could be used for other chemical processes (Water Gas Shift) or propulsion.

Water Gas Shift seems also usefull on mars as you would only need to mine some subterrain water and you got everything you need to produce LFO fuel.

Now in order to perform all intrestings reactions, you need to provide me the input. How much power (in MW) requires to process/produce 1 Ton of chemicals? And how much can be processed by our Inline Reator at maximum capacity?

I can calculate the exact resource amount myself using resource density amd molecular mass. Now you only need to come up with soome usefull numbers!

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm going to change the resouce definition of Antimatter

Base of the cost 250m $ for 10 mg of antimatter (source Wikipedia) I could make the following definition

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Antimatter
density = 0.000000001
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
unitCost = 25000
}

However, this would make antimatter even more expansive then Fractal original antimatter cost of 4819.22 (credit /mg)

The main problem is not with buying, but selling as it would effectivly break the economy if you ever return back to kerbin with a full tank of AntiMatter

Boris solved it by putting the price at 1 credit /mg. which is a whole lot lower, making it very hard to make any profit from it as storing the stuff is still very hard.

As a solution, I plan to put it at 100 credits/mg which would make a full 1.25m tank a return of 100 x 10.000 = 1.000.000 Credits, which is a significant amount, but not so much as to completely break the economy

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Antimatter
density = 0.000000001
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
unitCost = 100
isTweakable = false
}

Notice I also put isTweakable on false. This would make it impossible to start with antimatter. However, I still want to allow the user to get access to Antimatter somehow, therefore I plan to allow the user to buy antimatter with Prestige. Prestige is a finite resource which should have been accumulated by the end of carreer. Your can then cash you prestige for presious Antimatter (it would still cost you credits, but at least you can get acces to it). I'm not sure how to implement it yet, but I have some ideas

Edited by FreeThinker

apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but this is a question related to making KSPIE and CKAN work together happily. i could ask this in a CKAN-specific thread, but i feel that the users here would have more experience with this specific issue...

i'm a first time poster, long time lurker. i've been using ksp w/ mods for a long time, too. however, this time around (1.0.2) is the first time i've used CKAN (i love it, almost as much as i love KSPI). basically, i know how to install mods without CKAN and i think i know how to use CKAN, but i don't know how to install this WIP mod along side CKAN without destroying everything. my question is this:

if i already have a linux-based 1.0.2 install that is modded with CKAN, how can i manually install this mod without breaking my KSP or screwing up CKAN? is it as simple as ignoring the fact that i'm running CKAN and installing this mod as described in the OP, or do i need to cherry-pick files out of this mod's .zip file? i am asking primarily because of the following instruction:

from what i understand, CKAN knows when you manually install a mod, and it won't mess with it. does this mean that the maintenance of every dependency overwritten due to step 4 (above) is now up to me, rather than being handled automatically by CKAN?

thanks in advance for any help - and thanks to everyone who is helping to maintain this awesome mod!

Now that we have conveniant Universal Storage Fuel Switch Wegdes we can finally can implement ISRU

Awesome that you finally want to work on this- but what do US wedges have to do with anything here?

Shouldn't the Solid Oxide CO2 electrolyses be : CO2+2e−→1/2*O2 + CO This makes things more realistic, easier (no soot) and more usefull as the CO could be used for other chemical processes (Water Gas Shift) or propulsion.

No need to simulate the soot buildup. As the reaction requires CO2 in the first place, just simulate the NET reaction (CO2 -- > C + O2, followed by C + CO2 --> 2 CO) which is 2 CO2 --> 2 CO + O2 to get a simpler process. No, SOC doesn't normally produce CO directly though- so the originally posted reaction is actually more realistic...

Water Gas Shift seems also usefull on mars as you would only need to mine some subterrain water and you got everything you need to produce LFO fuel.

I think you mean Hydro/LOX? Or do you mean Kero/LOX? There is nothing called "LFO" in real life...

The Reverse Water Gas Shift Reaction is normally proposed as a complement to the Sabatier Process. It allows the extraction of O2 directly from the atmosphere without having to worry about graphite buildup (which you have to periodically purge with superheated CO2). The Sabatier Reaction fails to produce enough Oxygen to burn all the Methane it produces on its own...

Now in order to perform all intrestings reactions, you need to provide me the input. How much power (in MW) requires to process/produce 1 Ton of chemicals? And how much can be processed by our Inline Reator at maximum capacity?

We have 3 separate ISRU reactors- 2.5 meter inline, 3.75 meter inline, and the oddly-shaped dome ISRU reactor. All of those would obviously be capable of different reaction-rates.

As for energy-consumption of the Reverse Water Gas Shift (RWGS) Reaction, that's entirely dependent on the reactor-setup. According to Wikipedia, the RWGS reaction could easily be run off the waste-heat from the Sabatier Reaction (which is actually exothermic and thermodynamically FAVORABLE- i.e. it shouldn't require *ANY* electricity to run at a moderate pace once initially heated up if the ISRU reactor is sufficiently insulated, much like combustion only requires activation energy and then proceeds under its own heat...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water-gas_shift_reaction#Reverse_water-gas_shift

Even without the Sabatier Reaction for wast heat, power-requirements are going to be very moderate- and should be balanced against existing ISRU reactions in KSP-Interstellar rather than against figures from real-life experiments under an arbitrary set of conditions... (power-requirements will vary by the level of insulation of the reaction chamber and the temperature the reaction is being performed at, for instance) Real-life numbers are only truly useful for ballparking ISRU reactions, as a LOT of factors (from insulation of the reaction-chamber to ambient temperature and convection- for instance exothermic reactions like the Sabatier are actually going to require more insulation or proceed more slowly inside an atmosphere due to convection of heat away from the reactor-walls) are actually going to affect power-requirements...

Here is another link on the Reverse Water Gas Shift (RWGS) Reaction, by the way:

http://www.marspedia.org/index.php?title=Reverse_Water-Gas_Shift_Reaction

I can calculate the exact resource amount myself using resource density amd molecular mass. Now you only need to come up with soome usefull numbers!

We're going to have to do a balance and realism-pass on the ISRU very soon anyways (a lot of numbers need tweaking, like the power-requirements for the Sabatier Reaction, which are unrealistically high). So just ballpark the figures by balancing against the other ISRU reactions. RWGS should have a power-requirement just slightly higher than the Sabatier Reaction (which should have very low power-requirements- as no electricity is require to heat the reaction chamber, only to separate out the products and pump in the reactants..)

Regards,

Northstar

No need to simulate the soot buildup. As the reaction requires CO2 in the first place, just simulate the NET reaction (CO2 -- > C + O2, followed by C + CO2 --> 2 CO) which is 2 CO2 --> 2 CO + O2 to get a simpler process. No, SOC doesn't normally produce CO directly though- so the originally posted reaction is actually more realistic...

Because I couldn't find any sources, I think I will go with CO2 --> CO + 1/2 * O2 for now, as it allows me to create CO as a bonus

Edited by FreeThinker

K I'm actually going to do some decent testing now and not describe the problem in so much detail and do it in a list you might want to come back to this post because I might add more after you read it.

-Antimatter Initiated Reactor, Microwave Beam Powered Receiver / Micro, Deployable / Phased Array Microwave Transceiver, IR Telescope does not node attach without Non-Strict Pat Attachment Orientation Checks.

-Large Fusion Reactors and Antimatter induced Fusion reactors seem broken

-Also some smaller bugs are that some reactors don't show the proper scale in tweek scales.

Everything else seems to be working ok, I didn't test mining or collection of any sort so that needs to be tested but everything else I think has been tested.

Edited by etheoma

Congrats on 10k DL! Popular for good reason too :)

Magnetic nozzle is working as intended for me.

Plasma Thruster stats scale with size and QV is back.

But I have been trying to track down a bug and it seems to lead to Interstellar. I have linked two modded installs, with a clean log for each session and a craft file of a vessel.

The first is with some basic mods installed to ensure their stability.

The second is with only interstellar (1.0.10) added.

When leaving the active vessel, returning to space centre and switching back to vessel via the tracking centre there is only the background image and ui, vessel is not present. Switching to map view and back again leads to crash to desktop with the log spammed:

"[LOG 23:26:19.655] dT is NaN! tA: NaN, E: NaN, M: NaN, T: NaN

[LOG 23:26:19.661] Look rotation viewing vector is zero

[LOG 23:26:19.661] Look rotation viewing vector is zero

[LOG 23:26:19.677] Look rotation viewing vector is zero

[LOG 23:26:19.677] Look rotation viewing vector is zero

[LOG 23:26:19.680] Look rotation viewing vector is zero

[LOG 23:26:19.680] dT is NaN! tA: NaN, E: NaN, M: NaN, T: NaN"

Only tested AM powered vessel with plasma thruster so far.

I have DL a fresh KSP now and will try to replicate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtd6iawocflnyfq/bzzzzz.zip?dl=0

When leaving the active vessel, returning to space centre and switching back to vessel via the tracking centre there is only the background image and ui, vessel is not present.

Tell me what you see in the log when this Happens.

@FreeThinker Isn't it best to change all the dependencies to the lastest versions before doing all this bug fixing well I'm basically just talking about Tweek scales, because as you are almost certainly aware the most recent version of tweakscales completely wrecks this.

If it works out best the other way for you I have no complaints it was just a suggestion.

Edited by etheoma

@FreeThinker Isn't it best to change all the dependencies to the lastest versions before doing all this bug fixing well I'm basically just talking about Tweek scales, because as you are almost certainly aware the most recent version of tweakscales completely wrecks this.

What laterst version of Tweakscale are you refering to? I'm using the latest stabel version v2.1 and I assume everyone uses this version and not some dev version, which is at your own risk.

[h=2]Version 1.0.11 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2[/h] Released on 2015-05-09

• Fixed ISRU Reactor Missing Resources
  • Added Overflow Button to ISRU Interface
  • Added CO2 Electrolysis
  • Added Water Shift Reaction
  • Added Reverse Water Shift Reaction
  • Implemented Overflow functionality to Water Electrolysis
  • Fixed Water Extraction Atmospheric Scoop from Kerbin Atmosphere
  • Fixed Scooping CarbonDioxide from Atmosphere

How do you restart reactors?

If you use time compression, your reactors will shut down because they (think) they're overheating. Even while they would be fine without time compression.

But I cannot find a way to get a reactor that say it's offline in its Control Window to restart even if waste heat is 0.

How do I do that?

In this case it's a Large Fission, so there are no dependencies.

I'm new to modding KSP.

I noticed that one of the dll files (GameData\TechManager\TechManager.dll) is it really empty file.

Is it a deliberate action ?

My little contribution. GoogleDriveLink

All the textures converted to DDS format, except for a few small files (png), mainly related to the user interface and the PlanetResourceData, ParticleFX directorys.

>>> Remember to remove the old textures, they have the same names as those converted to a DDS format) <<<

If you want, please use them in the next update.

Regards

Edited by InsanePlumber
Corrected link to the textures.

You mean the in game debugger?
Yep, or in the log

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed that one of the dll files (GameData\TechManager\TechManager.dll) is it really empty file.

Is it a deliberate action ?

Yes it is. It is to render the original file ineffective. The original TechManager.dll is not compatible with 1.0 It even cause KSP to Hang at startup. Simply replacing it with an empty file fixes this problem

- - - Updated - - -

My little contribution. GoogleDriveLink

All the textures converted to DDS format, except for a few small files (png), mainly related to the user interface and the PlanetResourceData, ParticleFX directorys.

Thank, they will come in handy

- - - Updated - - -

Aweome! But I don't see it as available through CKAN. Has that issue been addressed?

No, But I intend to once KSPI Extended is stable enough

Edited by FreeThinker

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Blackbeardviewpost-right.pngYou mean the in game debugger?

Yep, or immoderately in the log

The Ksp.log files I linked in dropbox are not enough?

The problem is still occurring with a fresh copy of ksp. I have been investigating running gdb on ksp to get something more meaningful. Are you able to replicate the crash with the .craft I posted?

So far seems to only happen with the plasma thruster.

With a plasma thruster equipped ship go to space centre and switch back to same ship via tracking station.

This generates a stream of "Look rotation viewing vector is zero" to the log and the entire kerbol system disappears.

Trying to then go from active ship to map view then results in crash with "dT is NaN! tA: NaN, E: NaN, M: NaN, T: NaN"

Edited by Blackbeard

I'm having the same problem as Blackbeard, and posting log and craft data.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yexwxcrjgt6ddse/KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vnm2ae680gl3ik/Untitled%20Space%20Craft.craft?dl=0

It happens after I get into orbit and try to re-focus. Long as I know it is a problem only with Ion engines. Ships with other KSPI parts loads perfectly.

Even if you only change the engine to any non-Ion engine, it loads normally. Hope the data helps. Sorry for my poor English.

P.S. AluminiumHybrid engine's node definitions seems to be wrong. Changing

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -12.5127, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2 to

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -12.5127, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2 and

node_stack_top = 0.0, 10.2547, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2 to

node_stack_top = 0.0, 10.2547, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2 lets you attach another engine underneath and a nosecone on top.

What laterst version of Tweakscale are you refering to? I'm using the latest stabel version v2.1 and I assume everyone uses this version and not some dev version, which is at your own risk.

Ok to add to the previous bug report I add that the OMEGA Fusion Reactor and "Sethlans" Particle Bed wont scale down past 1.875m when tweekscales says its 1.25m.

I wouldn't mind not being able to scale down the OMEGA Fusion Reactor and "Sethlans" Particle Bed past 1.25 but 1.875 makes it kind of useless, Also a smaller bug is that as default the Small Molten Salt, Omega Fusion and "Sethlans" Particle Bed reactors as well as the small electric generator come out at 1.875m, this isn't a big problem at all for the Small Molten Salt reactor and the Electric generator as you can just rescale them down to 1.25 or what ever you want but for the other two it is.

And my bad I didn't release you had changed the fusion reactors to only work with Direct conversion Electric Generators.

One other thing could you change water's name in KSPI because it interferes with Tac Life Support and you can easily accidentally burn up all your water which will probably mean the death of all your kerbals, Maybe H2O.

Edited by etheoma

Version 1.0.12 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2

Released on 2015-05-10

• Fixed Save Load Bug with Electric Engines
  • Electric thrusters now have Gears. First Gear with 3x Base Isp Maxes at 1/3 throtle and then Isp drops gradually to Base ISP at max throttle
  • BaseISP Arcjet (ATTILA) thruster set to 1/3 of original Isp giving it 3 times thrust at max throttle and original Isp at 1/3 throttle

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.