KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Just getting the thing to work seems complex enough, thank you.

Were you talking about KSPI transmitters or Remote tech, because remote tech already has the distances from the start point to each relay to the next to the end point, I would assume from that you can add a calculation to calculate how much power you should save/reclaim/keep... I'm not sure on what word I should use there.

Edited by etheoma

Were you talking about KSPI transmitters or Remote tech, because remote tech already has the distances from the start point to each relay to the next to the end point, I would assume from that you can add a calculation to calculate how much power you should save/reclaim/keep... I'm not sure on what word I should use there.

The 'thing' is to use solar panels or Near Future reactors to store ElectricCharge in a battery. You would then activate part A on ship A and target part B on ship B. Electric current is consumed from ship A and appears in ship B, with losses calculated appropriately.

Currently, this is exactly what KSPI's Microwave transceivers do, except they transmit MegaJoules and produce WasteHeat. My objective is to find a way for them to use ElectricCharge and produce stock Heat.

Your suggestion of using RemoteTech seems needlessly complex. Just to gain a UI, we have to build a power distribution system from scratch with practically zero knowledge of C# and .dlls

Adding a little ModuleAlternator to the Microwave Transcievers that converts ElectricCharge into MegaJoules, and the reverse in the Microwave Receivers, seems much easier.

The 'thing' is to use solar panels or Near Future reactors to store ElectricCharge in a battery. You would then activate part A on ship A and target part B on ship B. Electric current is consumed from ship A and appears in ship B, with losses calculated appropriately.

Currently, this is exactly what KSPI's Microwave transceivers do, except they transmit MegaJoules and produce WasteHeat. My objective is to find a way for them to use ElectricCharge and produce stock Heat.

Your suggestion of using RemoteTech seems needlessly complex. Just to gain a UI, we have to build a power distribution system from scratch with practically zero knowledge of C# and .dlls

Adding a little ModuleAlternator to the Microwave Transcievers that converts ElectricCharge into MegaJoules, and the reverse in the Microwave Receivers, seems much easier.

Oh, no sorry, my suggestion was for regular full sized interstellar. The ability to build a proper network is , for me at least, hindered by my in ability to get some kind of confirmation that I did it right. I just prefer the visuals.

No it's not, it should still be available with the right tech or in sandbox, last time I checked it still worked

I went back to take a closer look given what you said and apparently I had forgotten you had to be in space to be able to select quantum vacuum. Thanks for keeping this mod alive!

I had also came back to ask another question. Does tweaking the anti matter collector size affect its collection rate given all other parameters are equal?

I have not been able to replicate the revert bug raised by Krakenfour. Put all my stupid kerbals in a tower of flaming death but they survive the revert smiling.

This is just a quibbling bug I have noticed with the interstellar fuel tanks, where the tank info field lists the contents. If adding multiple radial tanks then changing the contents of one this field does not change. The contents do. Picture probably is more explanatory

. SlRVd50.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I went back to take a closer look given what you said and apparently I had forgotten you had to be in space to be able to select quantum vacuum. Thanks for keeping this mod alive!

I had also came back to ask another question. Does tweaking the anti matter collector size affect its collection rate given all other parameters are equal?

Yes Freethinker made some changes to it recently to better scale with size and consequently surface area. Couple pages back if you wanna check out specifics

I built bigass rocket, but it has waaaaaay too much inertia - stock RCS and these torque wheels even with tweak scale were completely useless - I couldn't rotate at all.... On other hand this 10m plasma engine with nine antimatter reactors pack nice punch - ~1 G with quantum plasma and up to 15 G with CO2

Heres ship: http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/NLG3fs3v/file.html

You may need ship manifest to get antimatter though :P

Edit: So can you make 10x - 1000x stronger supercharged RCS/torque wheel for big rockets?

Edited by raxo2222

Prices and sizes of the blue radial tanks/cryostats are really strange.

Black cryostat with 2000 units of deuterium only costs 5512, while radial one with 600 units costs 1270090. Radial version is also heavier for some reason. Empty radial helium3 bottle costs 620000, while empty lithium one costs 0.

Also ThF4, UN and UF4 tanks have the same size visually, but full thorium tank is 9.5tons, while full uranium nitride is 0.6t, and uranium ftoride tank doesn't even have uranium, only depleted fuel.

I built bigass rocket, but it has waaaaaay too much inertia - stock RCS and these torque wheels even with tweak scale were completely useless - I couldn't rotate at all.... On other hand this 10m plasma engine with nine antimatter reactors pack nice punch - ~1 G with quantum plasma and up to 15 G with CO2

Edit: So can you make 10x - 1000x stronger supercharged RCS/torque wheel for big rockets?

If you use tweakscale together with tweakeverything you can do this.

But be warned it can break maximum allowed values on reaction wheels by going forward and backward in size.

You can end up with a 0.625 reactionwheel with 5e+57436583 torque

The directory GameData\WarpPlugin\FX contains two files with texture puff.dds and puff.tga. (1.1.6 version)

You should leave one or the other not both file.

I re-added puff.tga after the fx disapeared. The dss seems to be ignored, but I will revove it to prevent confsion

- - - Updated - - -

I have not been able to replicate the revert bug raised by Krakenfour. Put all my stupid kerbals in a tower of flaming death but they survive the revert smiling.

This is just a quibbling bug I have noticed with the interstellar fuel tanks, where the tank info field lists the contents. If adding multiple radial tanks then changing the contents of one this field does not change. The contents do. Picture probably is more explanatory

. http://i.imgur.com/SlRVd50.jpg

Weird, do you see any exception in the log?

- - - Updated - - -

Having that line/cone transmission overlay would be pretty sweet tho. Also be a good excuse to add some variety to the transmitters.
THe best I can do is give some feedback on the Reciers, tell telling you possible connections and efficency

- - - Updated - - -

Prices and sizes of the blue radial tanks/cryostats are really strange.

Black cryostat with 2000 units of deuterium only costs 5512, while radial one with 600 units costs 1270090. Radial version is also heavier for some reason. Empty radial helium3 bottle costs 620000, while empty lithium one costs 0.

Also ThF4, UN and UF4 tanks have the same size visually, but full thorium tank is 9.5tons, while full uranium nitride is 0.6t, and uranium ftoride tank doesn't even have uranium, only depleted fuel.

Yes the tanks still need fixing

- - - Updated - - -

Note there is another reason why MegaJoule is seperate resource apart from MJ and that is to prevent starvation issues of critical system, like probe power. MJ power system are soo power hungry that is you would even run out, the critical systems would fail causing all kinds of problems.

Edited by FreeThinker

Delete the CommunityTechTree folder from your GameData folder and it should be fine.

Will doing this still allow unlocking the advanced modes/upgrades for the reactors, etc? Back in the day we had to use Treeloader to get the Interstellar Tech Tree, which was more complicated than stock tech tree but less complicated (and expensive) than CTT.

I remember using Boris' maintenance version in .90 and it had an option in the Tech Tree which tech tree to use; you could select Unofficial KSP-I and (supposedly) the upgrades would still work. Any info would be helpful!

I tested the game without KSPI and still got the revert bug.

Re-installed and had no problems. Something must have broken somewhere.

THe best I can do is give some feedback on the Reciers, tell telling you possible connections and efficency

Note there is another reason why MegaJoule is seperate resource apart from MJ and that is to prevent starvation issues of critical system, like probe power. MJ power system are soo power hungry that is you would even run out, the critical systems would fail causing all kinds of problems.

A small UI for the Microwave relays would be nice.

As for the ElectricCharge distribution, wasn't there an option to give certain components lower priority? Also, in my experience, completely starving a ship while it has a power supply never had any ill effects, since the batteries recharge immediately and the probe core is never 'powered down'.

If electrical generation is greater than consumption at all times, there should be no problem, right? What if the Transmitters throttled themselves to the power generation capacity they detect?

Will doing this still allow unlocking the advanced modes/upgrades for the reactors, etc? Back in the day we had to use Treeloader to get the Interstellar Tech Tree, which was more complicated than stock tech tree but less complicated (and expensive) than CTT.

I remember using Boris' maintenance version in .90 and it had an option in the Tech Tree which tech tree to use; you could select Unofficial KSP-I and (supposedly) the upgrades would still work. Any info would be helpful!

That was part of the techmanager mod which was included.

Which is not supported on 1.x anymore.

A small UI for the Microwave relays would be nice.

As for the ElectricCharge distribution, wasn't there an option to give certain components lower priority? Also, in my experience, completely starving a ship while it has a power supply never had any ill effects, since the batteries recharge immediately and the probe core is never 'powered down'.

If electrical generation is greater than consumption at all times, there should be no problem, right? What if the Transmitters throttled themselves to the power generation capacity they detect?

I believed it shows priority while building, but no options to actually change priority.

(Which probably be quite a task to implement, so might not even be an option)

Edited by Neouni

That was part of the techmanager mod which was included.

Which is not supported on 1.x anymore.

Techmanager is no longer supported because it's no longer required; the Tech tree is now a CFG file that can be modified easily with MM. I'd really like to see an MM script added to this mod so that it can be used fully with the stock science tree for those of us who don't want a super ridiculously grindy experience. I lack the know-how and time to write such a script, otherwise I'd just do it myself. :(

Have you given any thought to asking the guys from remote tech if you could use their antenna UI for the microwave relays?

I think I would make them more useable if you could target them towards specific places.

The Microwave relays is from Tesla's theories. According to his studies, you'll have no conic or target for this way of energy transmission, cause this energy is transmitted in all the space. You need an antenna to receive this energy, but IRL only a planet can stop this transmission, cause it has a different resonance from empty (almost) space.

So, while you have a transmitter station and a receiver antenna somewhere, you'll be able to receive and use this energy, no need to be in sight.

FreeThinker.

First, sorry for not being around to test your AM collector changes.. my Friday-Sundays are 100% work. So now my sore and tired body can get back to testing as I do my weekday light work and maintenance.

Ok.. so regarding the AM Collector energy cost... I always just assumed that after you charge them, the energy needed to keep them charged was minimal... so Fractal ended up not bothering with a power cost on them. Obviously no complaint could be made if you want to give them a power usage. Hell, we have to have a small reactor on any AM collector station anyways to keep the AM tanks charged.

I'm actually very excited playing with the idea of using 10m collectors and stuffing some 5m AM tanks in the middle. Less parts, more compact overall, more effective... win win win win.

Thanks for your continued work,

~Steve

The Microwave relays is from Tesla's theories. According to his studies, you'll have no conic or target for this way of energy transmission, cause this energy is transmitted in all the space. You need an antenna to receive this energy, but IRL only a planet can stop this transmission, cause it has a different resonance from empty (almost) space.

So, while you have a transmitter station and a receiver antenna somewhere, you'll be able to receive and use this energy, no need to be in sight.

that assumes you are using a transmitter functionally equivalent to a lightbulb. a transmitter that uses a reflector dish or a laser will have more of the energy arrive at the intended target.

if you let your energy spread out in every direction, you run into the inverse square law HARD.

AFAIK, Tesla' theories dealt with magnetic induction resonance, so magnetic fields. Extremely short range, useless in space.

Microwave transmission is useful because it is easy to create microwaves with great efficiency, and because they can pass through most of the atmosphere and around small solid objects unhindered.

In space... it's not the best. Lasers, infrared most likely (can pass through the atmosphere) are much more useful. Microwaves can be focused cheaply, however, with a large dish that is nothing more than aluminium with small holes in it. Lasers would have to be focused with optic arrays. Once again, microwave demonstrates its cheapness and ease of use.

that assumes you are using a transmitter functionally equivalent to a lightbulb. a transmitter that uses a reflector dish or a laser will have more of the energy arrive at the intended target.

if you let your energy spread out in every direction, you run into the inverse square law HARD.

True.

An visible laser by definition focuses energy 1 billion times more effectively than a 1m wavelength microwave.

You're right if you do that in the rough way, cause the energy is dispersed.

Doing it in Tesla's way, you don't lose anything. That's what I understood the way Fractal would that work.

so....

Any idea on how to get this moving?

yeah just edit the part.cfg file of the torque wheel you are using and you can make it any number you want

- - - Updated - - -

The directory GameData\WarpPlugin\FX contains two files with texture puff.dds and puff.tga. (1.1.6 version)

You should leave one or the other not both file.

Thanks. But I have noticed the plasma thruster effects to be more representative of POWER this version. Would the game engine render both?

Maybe the way it worked until now? It wasn't so bad...

The way it works right now is that you have to use KSPI reactors, and for those to work, you have to use KSPI radiators. I want to make Microwave relays work with Electric Charge and stock Heat.

Freethinker I have a ship using four plasma thrusters mounted around a central tank. I have both CO2 and N2 on board. Using N2 I get different amounts of thrust and spinning ship. Switching to CO2 or Vac. Plas.results in even thrust. Intended or Bug?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.