KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

So I was building this ship using the vista engine when I realized there is no way to refuel liquid hydrogen tanks by mining/ISRU. Is there anything in the works to make an ISRU converter or somehow do this? Any mods out there now for this anyone know?

So I was building this ship using the vista engine when I realized there is no way to refuel liquid hydrogen tanks by mining/ISRU. Is there anything in the works to make an ISRU converter or somehow do this? Any mods out there now for this anyone know?

There are atmospheric scoops - you can fly your plasma engine aircraft like it was running on thermal atmospheric engine, although thrust would be smaller.

----------------

@Freethinker, can you make heat manager calculate waste heat from generators and not reactors? You end with too big radiators with reactors that produce charged particles mostly. Also reactors without generators should be ignored.

Thermal generators are like 40%-50% efficient and charged particles generator are like 85% efficient.

Also it would be nice if for example 1.25 (and other sizes) plasma thrusters wanted exactly enough energy, that upgraded antimatter reactor can produce.

Here's a test I did:

http://imgur.com/a/Mlp90

Mods installed:

KSPI-Extended 1.1.7

Near Future Electrical latest build

Tweakscale (wan't used)

Hyperedit

Impressions: Relays only detect solar panels and KSPI reactors as a power source. No other forms of generating electricity works with them. Also, receivers are broken.

Looks like some good testing, I will investigate what is wrong and attempt to fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that I could tell. I'll doublecheck to be sure. Are the tweakscale errors not of concern?

[WRN 14:48:11.529] [TweakScale Warning] SmallMoltenSaltReactor(Molten Salt Reactor) has no valid scale factors. This is probably caused by an invalid TweakScale configuration for the part.

TweakScale.Tools:LogWf(String, Object[])

TweakScale.TweakScale:CheckForInvalidCfg()

TweakScale.TweakScale:Update()

[LOG 14:48:11.530] [TweakScale]TweakScale{

_invalidCfg = True

_setupRun = True

isFreeScale = True

0 scaleFactors =

tweakScale = 0.625

currentScale = 0.625

defaultScale = 1.25

}

[LOG 14:48:11.531] [TweakScale]ScaleType {

name = stack_interstellar

isFreeScale = True

6 scaleFactors = 0.625 1.25 1.875 2.5 3.75 5

6 scaleNames = 0.625m 1.25m 1.875m 2.5m 3.75m 5m

8 incrementSlide = 0.01 0.025 0.025 0.025 0.05 0.05 0.1 0.1

6 TechRequired = nuclearPower nuclearPower nuclearPower largeNuclearPower largeNuclearPower largeNuclearPower

defaultScale = 1.25

}

[WRN 14:48:11.532] [TweakScale Warning] SmallFNGenerator(Thermal Electric Generator) has no valid scale factors. This is probably caused by an invalid TweakScale configuration for the part.

TweakScale.Tools:LogWf(String, Object[])

TweakScale.TweakScale:CheckForInvalidCfg()

TweakScale.TweakScale:Update()

[LOG 14:48:11.533] [TweakScale]TweakScale{

_invalidCfg = True

_setupRun = True

isFreeScale = True

0 scaleFactors =

tweakScale = 0.625

currentScale = 0.625

defaultScale = 2.5

}

[LOG 14:48:11.533] [TweakScale]ScaleType {

name = stack_interstellar

isFreeScale = True

6 scaleFactors = 0.625 1.25 1.875 2.5 3.75 5

6 scaleNames = 0.625m 1.25m 1.875m 2.5m 3.75m 5m

8 incrementSlide = 0.01 0.025 0.025 0.025 0.05 0.05 0.1 0.1

6 TechRequired = largeElectrics largeElectrics largeElectrics largeElectrics specializedElectrics specializedElectrics

defaultScale = 2.5

}

Something seem to go wrong with stack_interstellar

Edited by FreeThinker

In WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/warpAtmIntake/part.cfg & part2.cfg

I believe

model = Squad/Parts/Utility/ramAirIntake/model

should read

model = Squad/Parts/Aero/ramAirIntake/RampIntake

Thus alleviating

[ERR 15:55:36.782] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Squad/Parts/Utility/ramAirIntake/model' as model does not exist

[ERR 15:55:36.782] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 15:55:36.782] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 15:55:36.782] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[ERR 15:55:36.783] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Squad/Parts/Utility/ramAirIntake/model' as model does not exist

[ERR 15:55:36.783] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 15:55:36.783] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 15:55:36.783] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Edited by Blackbeard

- - - Updated - - -

Something seem to go wrong with stack_interstellar

I see.

Well, as I said, I have a savegame that will recreate the problem 100% of the time. If I can provide any further information or do any testing for you, I'm happy to do so.

So would I use them to replace a NERVA on an interplanetary mission, like to duna? Or should I be putting them on ascent/descent stages somehow?

Thanks for the reply!

You can easily replace the NERVA with the Plasma Thrusters for interplanetary missions. For ascent and decente stage and for every o they stage in the future, you have the VISTA, but a Molten Salt isn't enough to make it work.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a test I did:

http://imgur.com/a/Mlp90

Mods installed:

KSPI-Extended 1.1.7

Near Future Electrical latest build

Tweakscale (wan't used)

Hyperedit

Impressions: Relays only detect solar panels and KSPI reactors as a power source. No other forms of generating electricity works with them. Also, receivers are broken.

That's a bug. In previous versions it worked properly. What the GUI said when you were testing?

KSPI parts are partly put into stock node, but for more futuristic part like high tech reactor, they really need higher tech nodes, as their power is nothing like the stock engines. KSPI part are made for end games, when you have largely unlocked most of the techtree.

I'm reasonably certain that now that the tech tree is just a CFG file, you can add nodes to it to unlock the advanced features via a module manager patch. This would make it possible to incorporate this with the stock tree while still maintaining its stance as a endgame mod.

I'm reasonably certain that now that the tech tree is just a CFG file, you can add nodes to it to unlock the advanced features via a module manager patch. This would make it possible to incorporate this with the stock tree while still maintaining its stance as a endgame mod.

Well, call me weird but I like to play nice with other mods. If we all started creating our own techtree it would become a big mess. That's why I support the CTT which is basicly an extension of the stock tree with Module manager Patches

Edited by FreeThinker

Well, call me weird but I like to play nice with other mods. If weall started creating our own techtree it would become a big mess. That's why I support the CTT which is basicly an extension of the stock tree with Module manager Patches

There's nothing wrong with this, but supporting the stock game should be a priority also. You can integrate support for both using conditional MM configs; i.e, using the HAS command to identify if an install has CTT and applying the relevant nodes, or !HAS if it does not have CTT. I'd be happy to learn and write the MM script for you if you can furnish a list of all the Node names required to unlock the advanced upgrades, as well as additional nodes where Interstellar tech would be unlocked, like Fusion Power and Adv. Fusion Power, which are not present in the stock tree.

EDIT: CTT is not an extension of the stock tree; it completely reworks the tree and adds dozens of redundant nodes that take 4-5 times the Science to unlock. I recently installed KSPI-E to my current career and found that the addition of CTT caused over half the parts I had unlocked to become relocked, preventing me from using them. This is clearly not an ideal situation.

Edited by Dreadp1r4te

There's nothing wrong with this, but supporting the stock game should be a priority also. You can integrate support for both using conditional MM configs; i.e, using the HAS command to identify if an install has CTT and applying the relevant nodes, or !HAS if it does not have CTT. I'd be happy to learn and write the MM script for you if you can furnish a list of all the Node names required to unlock the advanced upgrades, as well as additional nodes where Interstellar tech would be unlocked, like Fusion Power and Adv. Fusion Power, which are not present in the stock tree.

EDIT: CTT is not an extension of the stock tree; it completely reworks the tree and adds dozens of redundant nodes that take 4-5 times the Science to unlock. I recently installed KSPI-E to my current career and found that the addition of CTT caused over half the parts I had unlocked to become relocked, preventing me from using them. This is clearly not an ideal situation.

Edited by FreeThinker

That's a bug. In previous versions it worked properly. What the GUI said when you were testing?

All the GUI displays are in the Imgur album.

Mm, you have a point, I could simply create a CTT light, which use the same technodes, but only the nodes I need for KSPI-E and would deactive itself when CTT is installed. At least this way, people are not forced to install the CTT with too many empty technodes.

One other solution is to add an MM patch for CTT that changes the cost of all the empty nodes to zero science. I think it's the solution with the least hassle and work.

All the GUI displays are in the Imgur album.

One other solution is to add an MM patch for CTT that changes the cost of all the empty nodes to zero science. I think it's the solution with the least hassle and work.

I rather not risk sabotaging other mods technodes. Simply adding my own technodes (which are are identical to CTT) should create the least amount of problems.

Edited by FreeThinker

It is not a good approach to ask for every mod should stay but itself. There are already some dependencies for kspi-e, there is no harm having ctt as one of them. If it requires more science, actually it is a good thing because getting endgame kspi-e reactors and engines should not be easy.

Collaboration between modders is a very healty thing for ksp community, dependencies like these gives us opportunity to discover nice mods.

It is not a good approach to ask for every mod should stay but itself. There are already some dependencies for kspi-e, there is no harm having ctt as one of them. If it requires more science, actually it is a good thing because getting endgame kspi-e reactors and engines should not be easy.

Collaboration between modders is a very healty thing for ksp community, dependencies like these gives us opportunity to discover nice mods.

Make them cost as much as you want, but I don't want to have to spend double the science to unlock, say, USI Kolonization modules. You have the right to dictate how much science this mod's parts require, not how much science another mod (or vanilla part) requires. Not everyone wants to play that super grindy-hard mode game. If I did, I'd learn Korean and play their MMOs.

CTT is surely a good thing, if you play with all the requested mods... Otherwise it's just a wrong choice, to use more and more science to unlock "nothing"...

Respectfully, I disagree. Difficulty should ultimately be up to the end user. CTT modifies stock part unlock positions, other mods, and of course KSP-I's upgrades. All I'm asking is that the KSP-I upgrades be added to the stock tech tree as they were in previous versions. I'm not saying get rid of CTT, just don't make it a requirement. Keep it an option for those that still enjoy it.

Respectfully, I disagree. Difficulty should ultimately be up to the end user. CTT modifies stock part unlock positions, other mods, and of course KSP-I's upgrades. All I'm asking is that the KSP-I upgrades be added to the stock tech tree as they were in previous versions. I'm not saying get rid of CTT, just don't make it a requirement. Keep it an option for those that still enjoy it.

That's exactly what I wanted to say...

Sorry for my bad english...

For example, if I wanted to unlock the Antimatter reactor, I'd have to unlock four or five 'empty' nodes that cost 550-1000-2250 science or more.

I guess you refere to the technodes.

Also note that some technodes might seem empty, but are not because they can be used by KSPI for upgrading parts

Edited by FreeThinker

I guess you refere to the technodes.

Also note that some technodes might seem empty, but are not because they can be used by KSPI for upgrading parts

Oh, I didn't think of that.

Related to the discussion, I don't lean one way or another when it comes to the CTT. I like inter-mod integration, but don't like the vastly increased Science cost for reaching the last technodes compared to 0.90.

On another topic: any updates into the Microwave receiver bug?

Oh, I didn't think of that.

Related to the discussion, I don't lean one way or another when it comes to the CTT. I like inter-mod integration, but don't like the vastly increased Science cost for reaching the last technodes compared to 0.90.

Do note they are technically more powerfull now that antimatter reactor can generate charged particles, allowing you generate a lot of electric power using direct conversion or high Isp with significant amount of thrust using magnetic noozles.

Do note they are technically more powerfull now that antimatter reactor can generate charged particles, allowing you generate a lot of electric power using direct conversion or high Isp with significant amount of thrust using magnetic noozles.

I see the justification now.

Umm.. I know you have a mountain of things on your plate right now, but can you tell me if you've gotten around to tweaking Planetary_Resource distributions? The Module Manager thread has no mention of them. I', also asking Roverdude and posting a separate thread to get an answer on how to modify the "Ore.cfg" file in Gamedata/Squad/Resources

I see the justification now.

Umm.. I know you have a mountain of things on your plate right now, but can you tell me if you've gotten around to tweaking Planetary_Resource distributions? The Module Manager thread has no mention of them. I', also asking Roverdude and posting a separate thread to get an answer on how to modify the "Ore.cfg" file in Gamedata/Squad/Resources

I don't think you need to modify the ore.cfg - you just need a cfg file with the resource nodes you want to add anywhere inside Gamedata. the Community Resource Pack has a bunch of its own already.

for example for carbon dioxide CRP has:

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = CarbonDioxide
ResourceType = 2
PlanetName = Eve

Distribution
{
PresenceChance = 100
MinAbundance = 95
MaxAbundance = 97
Variance = 0
}
}

the file also has an explanatory header:

//
// Community Resource Pack
// Resource:
//
//Resource types:
// 0 = Crustal (Stuff you dig up)
// 1 = Oceanic (Stuff in the oceans)
// 2 = Atmospheric (Stuff in the air, varies with pressure)
// 3 = Interplanetary (Stuff you find between planets)
//
//Express all numbers as percentages 0.0-100.0, not 0.0-1.0!
//

if you want to modify an existing planetary config you would have to do something like:

@PLANETARY_RESOURCE[*]:HAS[@ResourceName[<name of resource i.e. Nitrogen>],@PlanetName[<name of planet>]]
{
//modify stuff here
}

keep in mind that you can define a global resource node- then that will be the default for all bodies that do not have a specific config

for example:

GLOBAL_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Karbonite
ResourceType = 0

Distribution
{
PresenceChance = 70
MinAbundance = .001
MaxAbundance = 10
Variance = 50
}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.