KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Version 1.6.9 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

Released on 2016-02-24

• VISTA Isp limited to 15500 -17200s which can be modified in the right clickmenu. High Isp is less efficient and causes more Wasteheat to be produced
  • VISTA Power usage is integrated into main throttle
  • VISTA Engine regains 1% gimbal
  • NERVA Engine gain 1% gimbal
  • Thermal Launch Nozzle is fully tweakscalable
  • Fixed issue for reactor where it would continue to use fuel while deactivated

6 hours ago, ShadyAct said:

@FreeThinker Are there any simple explanations you can think of for having hydrolox available in fuel tanks but not nozzles?

Edit: In sandbox mode.

Hydrolox is a mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen which require special adaptations in the Nozzle as the Oxygen is added in the Nozzle after super-heating the Hydrogen. You cannot heat up Oxygen directly as this would corrode and leak the reactor in a mater of seconds. The Thermal Launch Nozzle is suited with this technology, better know as LANTR, the original short Nozzle is only suitable for vacuum usage or un Ramjet mode in which atmosphere is directly exposed to the heat exchanges.

lantr.jpg

Edited by FreeThinker

hi,

I have a question of the "Somebody-has-probably-already-asked-this"-variety.. but I honestly couldn't find any definitive answer to it.

Are there known issues between this mod and the Umbra Space Industries Mods? Or more precisly the whole mining apsects between the two mods. I have been trying to make a somewhat self sustainig hopper/lander to scout out the surface of Minmus. But I cannot figure out how to make it refuel itself. How do I extract ressources from the surface? How do I even knwo they are there? Are the different mods' ressources compatible with one another (especially water which USI only uses to make supplies(food and stuff)) where as I would like to split it up into Liquidfuel and Oxidizer. Is there a current Wiki page covering this? So I would not have to get on your nerves quite so much...

EDIT: also I tried using the ISRU Refinery (2.5m) and i didn't get it to work at all... i tried to start the Water Electrolysis process on the launchpad (with ample water on the vehicle) and it just complained about being out of water

Edited by bertibott

Well KSPI Focuses on real resource and is there more compatible with Real IRSU and Real Fuels than USI which uses abstract resources. My goal is to have better interaction with these mods one day but  currently my hands are full. regarding Water on minimus, there only a few location which contain water. You should be able to detect it using the specialized water detector. In the future I want to integrate with Scan sat, but everything takes time. BY the way, f anyone think it should be sooner and have the skills, you are free to help achieve this.

I'm probably missing something here, but I seem to have a problem with the Molten Salt reactor. When I add it to my ship, the radiator max heat dissipation drops massively - about 85%, and in the meantime, the total heat production increases accordingly with the reactor.

It's only the molten salt though, not the Gas Core or others, leading me to believe it's unintended.

Also, all the props in the world to you for keeping up the good work!

Playing with configs and resources. What O/F ratio is used behind the methane engine? Can't figure that out.

On 25 February 2016 at 3:46 AM, FreeThinker said:

Well KSPI Focuses on real resource and is there more compatible with Real IRSU and Real Fuels than USI which uses abstract resources. My goal is to have better interaction with these mods one day but  currently my hands are full. regarding Water on minimus, there only a few location which contain water. You should be able to detect it using the specialized water detector. In the future I want to integrate with Scan sat, but everything takes time. BY the way, f anyone think it should be sooner and have the skills, you are free to help achieve this.

Recently got into Real Fuels Stockalike. Don't really like how some things are like. I have only done simple copy-paste-edit on configs using MM before but I plan to start trying some modding, especially between stock, USI and Real stuff. 

Edited by Koverpk

7 minutes ago, Koverpk said:

Playing with configs and resources. What O/F ratio is used behind the methane engine? Can't figure that out.

Recently got into Real Fuels Stockalike. Don't really like how some things are like. I have only done simple copy-paste-edit on configs before but I plan to start trying some modding, especially between stock, USI and Real stuff. 

Well I would support any custom modding, I would even be willing to reference to your modification or integrate them if possible

When testing a little script that was supposed to parse the ModuleManager cache, I stumbled over a few errors in config files of this mod:

In WarpPlugin/RealPlume/Quantum Vacuum.cfg there are a lot of compound nodes without a name. From the context, I assume they are all missing "PLUME" before the opening brace, only the first one has it. Though ModuleManager does not complain, it seems to get confused by this nevertheless, as I see literal "@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]" in its config cache after those erroneous nodes. For example:

electric_qvp
  {
    {
      name = Hydynelox-A7
        transformName = TT
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,1
        fixedScale = 4
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
  }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @name = ModuleEngineFX
        !runningEffectName = DELETE
        %powerEffectname = Hydynelox-A7
    }
  }

20 minutes ago, Thorbane said:

The base costs for the cyrostats are pretty broken, a 2.5 meter one set up for pure He3 storage costs more than 8 million, empty.

I can confirm this, empty  costs  scale unreasonable(Deut empty 30k H3 empty 8mil.), also InterstellarFuelSwitch don´t calculated the price new if you switch contact. For example if you scale it to 2.5m Deut then empty and afterward switch to H3 it only costs 30k

10 hours ago, SpaceNomad said:

When testing a little script that was supposed to parse the ModuleManager cache, I stumbled over a few errors in config files of this mod:

In WarpPlugin/RealPlume/Quantum Vacuum.cfg there are a lot of compound nodes without a name. From the context, I assume they are all missing "PLUME" before the opening brace, only the first one has it. Though ModuleManager does not complain, it seems to get confused by this nevertheless, as I see literal "@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]" in its config cache after those erroneous nodes. For example:

electric_qvp
  {
    {
      name = Hydynelox-A7
        transformName = TT
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,1
        fixedScale = 4
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
  }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @name = ModuleEngineFX
    }
  }

I haven't created this part. Please tell me how to correct it

7 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I haven't created this part. Please tell me how to correct it

Well, as I already said, it's probably missing the "PLUME" before the opening braces. This is only an educated guess based on the fact, that the first such block in the file is a PLUME node. I don't know for sure what it actually does (If I had to guess again, based on the name I would say it's responsible for the engine effects) The cited node should probably be

electric_qvp
  {
    PLUME
    {
      name = Hydynelox-A7
        transformName = TT
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,1
        fixedScale = 4
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @name = ModuleEngineFX
    }
  }

And the remaining nodes in this file are also missing the "PLUME".

If there was a github repository, I could have just sent you a pull request.

15 minutes ago, SpaceNomad said:

Well, as I already said, it's probably missing the "PLUME" before the opening braces. This is only an educated guess based on the fact, that the first such block in the file is a PLUME node. I don't know for sure what it actually does (If I had to guess again, based on the name I would say it's responsible for the engine effects) The cited node should probably be

electric_qvp
  {
    PLUME
    {
      name = Hydynelox-A7
        transformName = TT
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,1
        fixedScale = 4
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @name = ModuleEngineFX
    }
  }

Sound logical. It appears all other nodes are missing the same plume. Perhaps it isn't needed

Either-way, if you want to do a pull request, you can do so at https://github.com/sswelm/KSPInterstellar/

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker

I figured out the cryostat cost problem is caused by tweakscale.  The base 1.25 meter tank's cost are correct (except for the D/He3 combo setup), but when you scale it up things go wonky.  The root cause is probably how the cost adjusting code reacts to tweakscale.

Also their surface attach point is off.

Edit:  And displayed radiator masses are incorrect.

Edited by Thorbane

14 hours ago, SpaceNomad said:

electric_qvp
  {
    PLUME
    {
      name = Hydynelox-A7
        transformName = TT
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition = 0,0,1
        fixedScale = 4
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @name = ModuleEngineFX
    }
  }

I created this file, it tries to change the plume of the Quantum Vacuum thruster if you have Real Plume installed. Sadly, it never worked for this engine. I think that PLUME node is not needed, as also Felger didn't say nothing about that.

I've recently started an new career mode with Interstellar first the first time since the old (pre-KSP 1.0) version. I just got to the point where I am unlocking interstellar parts, and I've got some serious sticker shock going on. Are the prices listed on the first post meant to be accurate for the current version? Reactors are seriously more expensive than listed (not dealing with fuel here). I looked forward in the tech tree now and am seeing some seriously weird numbers - couple of examples:

Type Unlock Cost Part Cost First Post Cost
Molten Salt 74,250 742,500 50,000
Pebble Bed 100,000 371,800 100,000
Tokamak 600,000 600,000 600,000
DUMBO 150,000 164,800 150,000
Open Cycle Gas Core 600,000 542,200 300,000

There are a couple that match, like the Tokamak, or close to match like the DUMBO, but many are totally out of wack, especially the Molten Salt. In case any of them are known to have compatibility issues that I have missed, here is my current mod list (pulled from CKAN export):

Spoiler

"name": "Antennas"
"name": "BetterBurnTime"
"name": "Chatterer"
"name": "ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech"
"name": "CrewManifest"
"name": "DistantObject"
"name": "DistantObject-default"
"name": "KAS"
"name": "KerbalAlarmClock"
"name": "KerbalEngineerRedux"
"name": "KSPInterstellarExtended"
"name": "PersistentRotation"
"name": "PlanetShine"
"name": "ProceduralDynamics"
"name": "RemoteTech"
"name": "StageRecovery"
"name": "TACLS"
"name": "TACLS-Config-Stock"
"name": "KIS"
"name": "FilterExtensions"
"name": "ModuleManager"
"name": "ContractConfigurator"
"name": "CommunityResourcePack"
"name": "Toolbar"
"name": "InterstellarFuelSwitch"
"name": "InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core"
"name": "TweakScale"
"name": "PlanetShine-Config-Default"
"name": "Impact"
"name": "TacFuelBalancer"
"name": "StockBugFixPlus"
"name": "PreciseNode"
"name": "KerbalJointReinforcement"
"name": "Protractor"
"name": "KerbalFlightIndicators"

Hi, I'm currently going though a new play-though with SETI and Interstellar Extended and I've run into some weirdness...

If I create a rocket with just a probe core, the X16 tank, and a CANDLE engine I've noticed that both the ElectricCharge and Power usage on the tank are maxed out and not dropping.  If I remove the engine, ElectricCharge begins to drop as expected and when it's gone the tank starts to rapidly boil off.

It does the same thing with the NERVA engine.  Should the engine be providing power at all?  I was under the impression I would also need a generator for the the reactor to generate anything.

Also if I run the game under time compression everything seems to work normally (without power loss) until I hit the second to highest or highest speed settings, after which the tank will suddenly drop to 0 power and begin to boil.  If I switch back to normal time the power gauge quickly returns to 100% power.

Edited by RzTen1

Noticed something last night - all the ISRU parts will only work when focused.  I have a hydrazine refinery on Duna, near the poles (where there's water to dig up).  I set up the 4 processes needed to turn water and atmospheric nitrogen into hydrazine.  Then I go to the space center, do something else for a few days, come back to my refinery.. it's sitting idle.  hasn't done jack and all the ISRU processes have stopped like they were never turned on... everything's just off.

Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?

Could someone help me understand why my Craft has 0.01 Thrust in Space ? I built a 160t Spacecraft in Space with an Nuclear Lightbulb (not upgraded) as the Enginge. I´m using Liquid Fuel and it should do around 600kN with ~1400 Isp. Mechjeb says the TWR in Space should be 0.35.

If i fire up the Engine i get the nice animation but no Thrust, no Fuel consumed, core Temp. isn´t rising. It seems like the Thrust of the Enigne is affected by the Mass of the Craft. If i get rid of a few parts and test it it has about 400kN.

Did I miss something ? of course the TWR goes down with more weigth but why does the actual Thrust of the rocket go down too ?

I searched with google for quite a while now but couldnt find any explanations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.