KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

On 2-3-2016 at 9:09 AM, RzTen1 said:

I've been looking at how other mods handle power draw under high time compression and it looks like both DMagic's Orbital Science and SCANSat drop power processing entirely when TimeWarp.CurrentRate is >= 15000.  In any case, looking at FNModuleCryostat.cs' OnFixedUpdate function I see that time compression isn't considered when drawing from ElectricCharge so that unless the craft has giant battery banks the amount drawn will quickly exceed the maximum sortable power even if there's plenty of power under normal time.  I created a craft that was mostly batteries with an ElectricCharge of 143800 to test with and the tank didn't boil even under maximum time compression.  I think kicking out under high compression would fix this, but I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it.

Reveal hidden contents

I have noticed some other weirdness that I haven't tracked down yet... the tank claims to be drawing 2.92KW and I see an ElectricCharge drain rate of 2.96, which is around what I'd expect.  That's not an insane drain rate so I threw a bunch of full cells on there that combined should be able to produce 216 EC/sec and the discharge rate remained at 2.96 until the battery banks hit 143269/143800 at which point the (dis)charge rate rapidly fluctuated between 1.82 and --9.05.  The actual stored amount remained static.  Starting/stopping more fuel cells will cause the total stored number of fluctuate by 1, but the battery banks will never return to 100% full even with the tank fully boiled off and/or disabled.

Please disregard the above section in regards to fuel cell's... I forgot they only recharge the batteries to 95%.  Throwing a solar panel on there completed the charge.

There are actualy several maganisms which counter the problems of high power usage durring high time warp, For the FNModuleCryostat it is  switching to Megajoule power source, which buffer is also expanded lineary with timewarp. THis effectively allows you to scale timewarp to 100.000.000.000 and it would still work. This is teachnically one of the main reasons why KSPI uses this resource instead of ElectricCharge which behaves highly unrealisticly.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 6-3-2016 at 11:20 PM, yafeshan said:

I was a devout KSPI-E follower when I was playing the game. I was waiting for 1.1 to start again. I will of course want to have KSPI-E but this time I want to try it with RSS, Is there anyone out there playing this great mod with RSS, if yes how compatible are they. I know it is counted as supported mod in first page but I want to learn about your experience my friends.

If you assume KSP to be 75% realsitic then RSS could considdered 99% realistic. KSPI traditionaly was about 90% realistic but for KSPI-E I'm aiming for a 95% realsim (hard science fiction) So yes, KSPI-E can be played in combination with RSS but you have to always accept a slight . If that is ok with you, KSPI-E should be great.

Edited by FreeThinker

I could not wait for 1.1 and installed kspi-e with realism overhaul yesterday. Preliminary tests in sandbox looks promissing. I know how much you try to make KSPI realistic. Thats my core reasoning to try it with RO. I had played in kspi since 0.24, you made it better everyday. The only reason kspi is not considered in ro is most items being just theories rather that realized technologies. 

I am also excited about your new engine idea.

What about new type of generators burning new resources

Reminder; KSP Interstellar Extended(Improved Realism D-T VISTA propulsion)  is very incomparable with Deadly Reentry Deadly Reentry(The Melificent Edition).  The heating models are changed by DR and are game breaking with KSPI-E.

Problem: I found that the Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet, a.k.a Porkjet's "Atomic Age" Nuclear Turbojet Engine included in KSPI-E, will cause nearby parts to severely overheat and explode.  As suggested by page one, I placed precoolers in them and also added as many different types of radiators/thermal management devices as I could to the engines and the wings/fuselages and still my parts would heat up past 570k and explode.  I could climb to 9000m, fly at 200m/s(Mach 0.66) at  0.5% throttle and survive, but that was the limit.

Solution: After my aforementioned search quest, I removed DR and could trivially attain Mach 4.5.  Max part temps went from 570k to 2000K+.  Conduction and cooling improved.  Problem solved.  Gonna miss you DR.

My problem cropped up with the Turbojet.  Eventually I found other reports related to the Nuclear Light Bulb.  Hopefully I can get some keywords down, so others can find this post and fix their issues.  Perhaps @FreeThinker could put a mod incompatibility section on the front page.

Edited by kurtu5

2 hours ago, yafeshan said:

I

What about new type of generators burning new resources

Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Perhaps you are refering to a universal methal Burner, it would be able to Oxidise anything including, Hydrogen, Hydrazine,Methan and Metals like Aluminium, Magnesium, Silicoids. It would be ideal on any lunar, rocky planet mission where you scoop the raw meterial directly from the surface, therefore there need to collect the Water from hard to reach places like on the poles ...

Edited by FreeThinker

Intresting video about VASIMIR

Notice what is said at 1:50. Seems I made a mistake here :blush:

Look at the bright side, this will make Nuclear/Thermal Ramjet/Turbojet more usefull :cool:

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Perhaps you are refering to a universal methal Burner, it would be able to Oxidise anything including, Hydrogen, Hydrazine,Methan and Metals like Aluminium, Magnesium, Silicoids. It would be ideal on any lunar, rocky planet mission where you scoop the raw meterial directly from the surface, therefore there need to collect the Water from hard to reach places like on the poles ...

My idea was about a reactor which only works in space. For example a station very close to sun or jupiter with such structure that can enable gigantic tidal power of the parent body to generate energy in reactor.It should be huge in size to be effective but it wont be using any resource. In theory its elliptical orbit should circularize in time because of lose of gravitational energy so that no more tidal energy will be created.

54 minutes ago, yafeshan said:

My idea was about a reactor which only works in space. For example a station very close to sun or jupiter with such structure that can enable gigantic tidal power of the parent body to generate energy in reactor.It should be huge in size to be effective but it wont be using any resource. In theory its elliptical orbit should circularize in time because of lose of gravitational energy so that no more tidal energy will be created.

Well the Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor only works in space, on earth gravity would causes it to lose all it nuclear fuel, causing everything to become radioactive.

Generating power from Tidal force while in orbit can be tricky at best and most likely not worth it except near a very heavy star. The closest thing to alternative power generation is solar power generation near the sun which can be beamed by infrared laser/ microwave. The closer to the sun, the more power, but of course also the hotter it gets, so you need good amount of radiators to prevent from burning up.

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, kurtu5 said:

Reminder; KSP Interstellar Extended(Improved Realism D-T VISTA propulsion)  is very incomparable with Deadly Reentry Deadly Reentry(The Melificent Edition).  The heating models are changed by DR and are game breaking with KSPI-E.

I did not know this. I've been running KSPI with deadly re-entry for a long time in my latest game and I haven't noticed any issues, although I so far I have only unlocked the fission reactors and I have not used any of the KSPI parts besides some molten salt reactors, and the radiators. Are there other issues with DR and KSPI besides turbojets? I would rather go without turbojets than go without DR. Or should I go ahead and uninstall DR to avoid future conflicts as I unlock the more advanced KSPI techs?

Also I recently updated to the most recent version of KSPI, and the green molten salt reactor disappeared from the VAB parts menu. Instead it appears that there is a molten salt reactor that uses a model that I think is by Roverdude. The odd part about this is that the green molten salt reactor still appears as purchesed by in the tech tree and my old craft that used them still load up and launch just fine, even though the craft list load menu in the VAB says the craft have missing or invalid parts.

And lastly I would like to ask for some advice. Does anyone have any suggestions for what would be they think would be the best way mid tech engines to power a re-usable transport meant to shuttle crew between Duna, Jool, and Kerbin? My crew module is around 20-30 tons with life support and I would like to give it about 4-5k dV with full reusability. 

Finally, Thank you to everyone who has worked on this mod and thanks in advance for answers to my questions.

Edit: I just vaguely remembered that I had to install a fix to get the molten salt reactors to work, and I must have overwritten it when I updated KSPI via ckan to the latest version. I guess I will have to dig through this thread and find it when I get off work.

Edited by Rabada

2 hours ago, Rabada said:

I did not know this. I've been running KSPI with deadly re-entry for a long time in my latest game and I haven't noticed any issues, although I so far I have only unlocked the fission reactors and I have not used any of the KSPI parts besides some molten salt reactors, and the radiators. Are there other issues with DR and KSPI besides turbojets? I would rather go without turbojets than go without DR. Or should I go ahead and uninstall DR to avoid future conflicts as I unlock the more advanced KSPI techs?

I didn't have any problems until I tried using a Turbojet.  I thought it just may have been career, so I switched to sand box and spammed radiators everywhere to no effect.  I hadn't tried any other nuclear parts, but from what I saw the default max temp values are 1/4 of the 'norm' when using DR.  This seems to make radiators, that work best at high temperatures, completely ineffective as the parts they are cooling blow up.

7 hours ago, Rabada said:

Also I recently updated to the most recent version of KSPI, and the green molten salt reactor disappeared from the VAB parts menu. Instead it appears that there is a molten salt reactor that uses a model that I think is by Roverdude. The odd part about this is that the green molten salt reactor still appears as purchesed by in the tech tree and my old craft that used them still load up and launch just fine, even though the craft list load menu in the VAB says the craft have missing or invalid parts.

And lastly I would like to ask for some advice. Does anyone have any suggestions for what would be they think would be the best way mid tech engines to power a re-usable transport meant to shuttle crew between Duna, Jool, and Kerbin? My crew module is around 20-30 tons with life support and I would like to give it about 4-5k dV with full reusability. 

Finally, Thank you to everyone who has worked on this mod and thanks in advance for answers to my questions.

Edit: I just vaguely remembered that I had to install a fix to get the molten salt reactors to work, and I must have overwritten it when I updated KSPI via ckan to the latest version. I guess I will have to dig through this thread and find it when I get off work.

Thank you for reporting. DR has a history of messing KSPI-E up. DR changes the thermal charasteristics of all parts, including KSPI which specificly relies on them NOT to change.. I will include some countermeasures in my next release, which should correct the problem.

Edited by FreeThinker

28 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Thank you for reporting. DR has a history of messing KSPI-E up. DR changes the thermal charasteristics of all parts, including KSPI which specificly relies on them NOT to change.. I will include some countermeasures in my next release, which should correct the problem.

I hate to say it, but I just realized that I must of uninstalled DR and forgot about it. (I have been playing this save for a long time.) That probably explains why I have not had any problems, lol. Also I somehow missed the part of your patchnotes that said you changed the model for the molten salt reactor. I like the addition of the integrated generator, but I must say that I prefer the old model for the molten salt reactor, probably because of nostalgia, so I edited the .cfg for the old reactor to put it back in the game, and to give it the integrated generator.

Thankyou for all the work you have done to KSPI, I especially love the tweakscale integration and the RCS thrusters. Great work! Please keep it up! I am at the point in my game where i am about to start unlocking and using a lot of the advanced tech in KSPI, and I can't wait to check everything out!

Edit: Well, I had to take the generator out, but I was able to get the old molten salt reactors back in the game. 

Edited by Rabada
quoted wrong post

Note, I plan to r-euse the old Salt core model for automated refuel / nuclear fuel processing. It should allow you to extend the reactor lifetime and keep it in good condition longer.

Edited by FreeThinker

I was research MPD in more detail and found an intresting article

MAGNETOPLASMADYNAMICELECTRIC PROPULSION THRUSTERBEHAVIOR AT THE HUNDRED MEGAWATT LEVEL

What's most intresting to note that with higher power, much higher Isp ranges can be achieved, KSPI current Isp for MPD is fixed, but given the extreme power it is fed, this is actualy incorrect. The more power an engine is fed, the higher potential Isp can be achieved, number to 46546.4s are mentioned. but there does not seem to be a real limit.

Edited by FreeThinker

Well KSPI-E does include a modified version of IXS enterprise famous  warp ring which will work with KSPI warp mechanism

9 hours ago, Goat Master said:

could this fix the IXS enterprise?

It does not fix the mod but it does include a modified version of IXS enterprise famous  warp ring which will work with KSPI warp mechanism.

I do have some ideas to put all Warp related parts into a separate mod, which will require the Core mod, that way, as some people might not want to have warp capability.

Edited by FreeThinker

How many MW/GW should a fully upgraded antimatter reactor put out? I'm only averaging about 640ish MW on a 3.75 anti-matter reactor, seems lower than what is discussed on here. I've tried reinstalling an doing clean installs, but keep getting the same numbers.

so i have 2 Problems:

the super collider shows up in the tech tree but not in the VAB or SPH.

the radial/edge radiators are useless. in the info tab the show up with 0MW power radiation and dont function when i test them, all the edge radiator actually, not just the ones from KSPI-E.

12 hours ago, juantawn said:

How many MW/GW should a fully upgraded antimatter reactor put out? I'm only averaging about 640ish MW on a 3.75 anti-matter reactor, seems lower than what is discussed on here. I've tried reinstalling an doing clean installs, but keep getting the same numbers.

If you have Near Future the numbers shut by ok, if not there fare to low.

On 13-3-2016 at 2:30 AM, Kill_off said:

so i have 2 Problems:

the super collider shows up in the tech tree but not in the VAB or SPH.

the radial/edge radiators are useless. in the info tab the show up with 0MW power radiation and dont function when i test them, all the edge radiator actually, not just the ones from KSPI-E.

The Super colider has been destroyed by KSP 1.0.5 which limits a model maximim poligons to 255

You say the radial radiator doesn't work at all? I will look into it.

Edited by FreeThinker

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

The Super colider has been destroyed by KSPI-E which limits a model maximim poligons to 255

You say the radial radiator doesn't work at all? I will look into it.

Okay thanks, i was wondering where the collider wa, now i know.

Only the Edge Radial radiators dont work - stock one, kspi-e and from the mod heat control. I have seen that someone had the same problem but there was no solution.

3 minutes ago, Kill_off said:

Okay thanks, i was wondering where the collider wa, now i know.

Only the Edge Radial radiators dont work - stock one, kspi-e and from the mod heat control. I have seen that someone had the same problem but there was no solution.

The Edge Radial radiators were introduced in KSP 1.0.5, The is simply no code which add KSPI radiator to it.

Btw, could anyone create me a better KSPI-E version of it. It only need to be black

Edited by FreeThinker

Guys!

How to operate a science lab, i have my Generators, Reactors, Radiators and Mangoes in Syrup, but poor labby just wont generate any science. I pushed every button, but Kerbals wouldn't do nothing but clap and move their mouth silently. I think they are plotting on me!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.