KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

8 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Well I meant disabling heat generation for KSPI engines. Or reducing it to stock levels.

I heard that there are certain part module you can add to force DR not to mess with the part, perhaps you can figure out what it is.

Edited by FreeThinker

MW Transmitters seem to be really broken... Only the spherical rectenna shows in the VAB as able to transmit - nothing else does, and my previously functioning MW network is no longer working: nothing is sending power anywhere.

Image gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/iP6Tf  http://imgur.com/a/vQQEf

Edited by Siege
Ooops, posted wrong gallery...

I seem to have a problem rescaling the nuclear lightbulb engine. The toggle is there but it doesnt change its size. I tried in sandbox and in a career game.

Reinstalled kspi-e and Tweakscale but had no effect.

Only if I edit the part to have a 5m version it can scale to 3.75m but there is no 5m option.

Any ideas on this issue?

9 hours ago, Siege said:

MW Transmitters seem to be really broken... Only the spherical rectenna shows in the VAB as able to transmit - nothing else does, and my previously functioning MW network is no longer working: nothing is sending power anywhere.

Image gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/iP6Tf

Well, Beamed Power Transmission is currently in a high state of flux. I can tell you multiple will able able to transmit, some can relay while others only can receive. I will some create some documentation.

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Why Nuclear TORY engine isn't rescalable?

I'm talking about this bigass atmospheric nuclear engine.

Mmm, well the engine is mend as an early tech part, but I think we can make it scalable to a certain gedree

Btw, I would like to look into interstellar contracts, I would like to add contract for interstellar travel, if that's at all possible

Could anyone create me a Logo for KSP Interstellar?

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, Rob K said:

I seem to have a problem rescaling the nuclear lightbulb engine. The toggle is there but it doesnt change its size. I tried in sandbox and in a career game.

Reinstalled kspi-e and Tweakscale but had no effect.

Only if I edit the part to have a 5m version it can scale to 3.75m but there is no 5m option.

Any ideas on this issue?

click the bar to resize it , that got me for a little while and i don't know why (about 2 mm off of what you are clicking to size it up)

10 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well, Beamed Power Transmission is currently in a high state of flux. I can tell you multiple will able able to transmit, some can relay while others only can receive. I will some create some documentation.

Update: it was late last night when I posted this and my 3 year old was driving me bonkers refusing to go to bed, so I accidentally posted the wrong gallery link. I've updated the link in my OP, but for reference, here it is again: http://imgur.com/a/vQQEf

Anybody else having issues with the Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thrusters?

I try adding them to my ship and no engines show up in the staging list. The standard Plasma Thrusters appear normally and work fine, but not the Quantum ones.

Am I missing something?

34 minutes ago, JeeF said:

Anybody else having issues with the Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thrusters?

I try adding them to my ship and no engines show up in the staging list. The standard Plasma Thrusters appear normally and work fine, but not the Quantum ones.

Am I missing something?

the plasma thruster "becomes" a quantum thruster when you purchase the upgrade, the upgrade is nonfunctional piece

think of it as upgrading the plasma thruster it gets access to new fuel types.

Edited by Fairin

18 minutes ago, Fairin said:

the plasma thruster "becomes" a quantum thruster when you purchase the upgrade, the upgrade is nonfunctional piece

think of it as upgrading the plasma thruster it gets access to new fuel types.

Ah, I see.

Thank you!

Awww snap... I can resize the Quantum thruster, but not the plasma one. Those are too tiny for my mothership. =/

Edited by JeeF

12 hours ago, JeeF said:

Ah, I see.

Thank you!

Awww snap... I can resize the Quantum thruster, but not the plasma one. Those are too tiny for my mothership. =/

Spoiler

5OnJo30.png

working just fine here bro, i use plasma for everything. attila's for launches now

I'm beginning with this mod, and I have issues using the ISRU refinery to convert water to liquid hydrogen. I'm playing with Realism Overhaul, so LH2 boils off when warming up. So I've tried with the cryostat tank, and it works fine to store LH2 (though it can store much more LH2 than a stock tank of the same size but that's another issue). But when I transfer that LH2 to a stock tank (as opposed to cryostats, even if not really a stock tank since it's modified by Real Fuels), I instantly get boil off issues (LH2 vanishes from the stock tank very quickly). I've enabled thermal debugging, and I can see the internal temperature of the cryostat is quite high (150K), which means when transferring to a stock tank, it will already be too warm. This can be compared to starting with a full tank when launching a new vessel, the temperature is 20K on the launchpad, and boil-off is very slow in this case. My guess is that Real Fuels uses the internal temperature, while KSPIE has custom boil-off code that does not rely on internal cryostat temperature...

Has anyone already seen this issue? My use case here is to generate LH2, compress it, cool it in the cryostat, and then transfer it to another ship to refuel it. That other ship would have a regular cryogenic tank (as defined by the Real Fuels mod) to slow down warm-up, but needs to be fed with cold LH2 to begin with...

On 8/16/2016 at 3:14 AM, FreeThinker said:

Well, I fixed some of the problems by editing the .cfg's for the parts that should be able to transmit and editing "canTransmit" to "= true", however, I'm still having a problem: all parts read "inputPower: offline", regardless of what reactor/generator combination I've tried, whether they're attached directly or not, or even if I have a MJ capacitor in the mix.

I know you say things are in a state of flux... is there a recent prior version somewhere I might downgrade to to get my stuff working and save my Duna mission? Or can you enlighten me how the "Input Power" thing works so that I might be able to make the fixes locally myself? I've been reading over the code as I have it for 1.9.11 in FNGenerator.cs, but I'm afraid I just don't understand what it's doing or how its interacting with the transmitter parts.

I've noticed that all of the thermal engines have gotten consecutively worse reaction times upon each update; IE the take waaaaay longer to throttle down. if i use the hybrid thermal jet with the Antimater Reactor it takes almost 30 seconds to fully cut the throttle. I understand there's an element of realism here, but it would be nice to have a way of making the engines respond better, even if it means cutting their thrust down. I especially like using the hybrid thermal jet with atmosphere as a means of making large VTOL craft, but that's no longer possible do to these reaction times.

I'm thinking something like a brake-clamp; those jets that have a giant cup on the back to reverse thrust. just have it so it functions automatically as part of the jets function? or have it so it vents excess thrust?

it's an irritation because it makes these engines unusable with any other auto-pilot mods like TCA or MechJeb.

also, hows the ATM intake processor going?

I trying to bring some consistency to my tanks, to make them to be from the same universe.  My ifs/b9/procedural    LFO is about the same (1:8) size/dry mass now.
I looked to lqd hydrogen, and it in complete disorder. (I forget to add tweakscaled IFS patched stock tank, with it 130kg/844kg, but it seems to be from kspi universe(as expected from IFS), just bit more bulky)
All tanks contain about 709kg of hydrogen. What is right? 

2d2h9oz.jpg

Edited by Pol

2 hours ago, Pol said:

I trying to bring some consistency to my tanks, to make them to be from the same universe.  My ifs/b9/procedural    LFO is about the same (1:8) size/dry mass now.
I looked to lqd hydrogen, and it in complete disorder. (I forget to add tweakscaled IFS patched stock tank, with it 130kg/844kg, but it seems to be from kspi universe(as expected from IFS), just bit more bulky)
All tanks contain about 709kg of hydrogen. What is right? 

2d2h9oz.jpg

There is indeed no consistancy regarding LqdHydrogen.

We can differntiate 2 variables here, mass fraction and volume. KSPI mass fraction are based on literature which states that for deep space exploration purposes, Liquid Hydrogen has a mass fraction of 8-10 in a low gravity environment.

From my understanding Near Future Hydrogen tank were made intentionaly require less volume. I guess the reasoning is that tanks would be too large and would no longer fit in the VAB, or too hard to get them in space for a stock player.

But remains the issue of volume. My money would probably be on Procedural Tanks to be correct for this (because their values are accuratly calculated) and KSPI tanks beeing too bulky (which I intend to correct.thanks to you)

Edit: Using your picture, I determined the model need to reduced by a factor of 49/45 which makes it's effective volume about 35% less

Edited by FreeThinker

Procedural tank defenitions I think is from cryotanks. I'm currently disabled cryotank global patch(and  IFS  check) to see what I get. But yes,  I need to bump IFS LFOtotal - hydrogen conversion or reduce cryotank density. (by the way I think r lqdfuel = xenon is incorrect, I bad at math maybe it supposed to be x10 or something, It also create funny tank mass(density), I don't understand  how it work )

And you need to account to tweakscale, it seems can create a bit different result for different models

vyulfs.jpg

My concern currently is more about mass(because it's more important thing in rockets) than size, there no ten times difference in size and with x6.4 rockets is big anyway.

Is 74kg is even possible for thing with such area(I mean density of material, I'm bad with math, and it have cooling thing) maybe it's some fancy composite? But ( I understand all this it mostly offtopic, maybe IFS topic is more appropriate place ) what about regular tanks, how much it must weight? 157? 300? 600?

Edited by Pol

20 hours ago, Pol said:

Procedural tank defenitions I think is from cryotanks. I'm currently disabled cryotank global patch(and  IFS  check) to see what I get. But yes,  I need to bump IFS LFOtotal - hydrogen conversion or reduce cryotank density. (by the way I think your lqdfuel = xenon is incorrect, I bad at math but I think it supposed to be x10 or something, It also create funny tank mass(density))

Well I'm not sure if IFS tank should contain Xenon gas at all,  it's a conpressed gas, not a  uncompressd liquid like these tank were ment to contain. At least it maintains the same mass fraction

Edited by FreeThinker

On 17/08/2016 at 11:31 PM, Youen said:

I'm beginning with this mod, and I have issues using the ISRU refinery to convert water to liquid hydrogen. I'm playing with Realism Overhaul, so LH2 boils off when warming up. So I've tried with the cryostat tank, and it works fine to store LH2 (though it can store much more LH2 than a stock tank of the same size but that's another issue). But when I transfer that LH2 to a stock tank (as opposed to cryostats, even if not really a stock tank since it's modified by Real Fuels), I instantly get boil off issues (LH2 vanishes from the stock tank very quickly). I've enabled thermal debugging, and I can see the internal temperature of the cryostat is quite high (150K), which means when transferring to a stock tank, it will already be too warm. This can be compared to starting with a full tank when launching a new vessel, the temperature is 20K on the launchpad, and boil-off is very slow in this case. My guess is that Real Fuels uses the internal temperature, while KSPIE has custom boil-off code that does not rely on internal cryostat temperature...

Has anyone already seen this issue? My use case here is to generate LH2, compress it, cool it in the cryostat, and then transfer it to another ship to refuel it. That other ship would have a regular cryogenic tank (as defined by the Real Fuels mod) to slow down warm-up, but needs to be fed with cold LH2 to begin with...

I kind of solved that issue by creating a new chiller part ; work in progress here: https://github.com/neuoy/KSPChiller

It looks like a regular KSP active radiator, but simulates a vapor-compression system that can get the attached part to any temperature (down to 10K). I hope I got the math right for realistic behavior ; I still need to find a good reference for very low temperature refrigeration, so far I've been surprised about the energy requirements, but then I never read anything about what kind of energy it takes to refrigerate a rocket liquid hydrogen tank... Also, I suspect my code is not very accurate for such a wide range of temperatures it can currently handle (I suppose a different refrigerant fluid should be used for different temperatures, etc.), and the machinery would probably be bigger (and heavier) than the stock KSP model I've used. And I've not accounted for the fuels state change (gas to liquid) that should require more energy, because it's not so simple (there are a lot of different fuels to handle), and doesn't make sense in the first place (the initial problem is that the tank is filled with liquid hydrogen that is too warm to be liquid... but it's not a gas either because the tank can't hold that, it would take much more volume and/or pressure).

My use case is to refrigerate a fuel tank, but the chiller allows refrigeration of any part (only the part directly connected is affected). Don't expect good results unless the part is well insulated (which is the case with Real Fuel cryogenic tanks it seems).

Edited by Youen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.