KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

int resting, this might have something to do with resource  flow type. I might have a solution for that. Could you provide a craft file where the problem is reproducable?

I don't think I can get a craft file, as I have built the base organically.  I can provide you my savegame, but I have it loaded with mods.  But it should work as long as you have MKS.  I'll get you the save file tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Liquid5n0w said:

I don't think I can get a craft file, as I have built the base organically.  I can provide you my savegame, but I have it loaded with mods.  But it should work as long as you have MKS.  I'll get you the save file tomorrow.

Then could you create a simple craft and reproduce the problem? I need to know exactly why you did in what circumstance

Edited by FreeThinker

What is most effective engine+reactor+fuel system in terms on size and thrust? 

And yeah, if i have IXS Magnetic Confiment Fusion Reactor, how many generators i need to attach to him to get maximum results? And what is best engine for this reactor?

Edited by spec111

13 hours ago, Antstar said:

I really don't understand how this new beamed power works. I had no luck in career mode so I did this simple test in sandbox.

I have ~1MW of solar power coming in => IR beam ~ 65% efficiency. But I get 2kW out of it. Why?

Also, is there a way of actually calculating how much energy loss there will be over a given distance, with a particular wavelength? Thanks guys.

First of all, join the club. It has been confusing me for over a year and Im just starting to wrap my head around it. Basically think of ut like this... 

To transmit power over distance wirelessly, we first generate a high power focused energy beam, point it at the target where it is collected as heat and converted into electricity. That is the basics of how this works. 

As far as calculating ranges and losses, I would go read the wikipedia article on "anteana apeture". There are some formulea in there that might be useful. IDK if FreeThinker is using them specifically, but I wouldnt be surprised. Either way the math still applies in the vague sense that you can determine if x apeture will be acceptable for y wavelength. 

2 hours ago, spec111 said:

Hello! How to deploy  deployable array solar wind collector? Because they print "Status:locked". :rolleyes:

Hi, that is weird, as the collector should only show Status: Disabled or Status: Collecting Solar Wind. Can you provide screenshots of the vessel that doesn't work? Preferably with the right-click menu on the array open. What version of KSPI-E are you using, what other mods are you using..?

1 hour ago, EvilGeorge said:

Hi, that is weird, as the collector should only show Status: Disabled or Status: Collecting Solar Wind. Can you provide screenshots of the vessel that doesn't work? Preferably with the right-click menu on the array open. What version of KSPI-E are you using, what other mods are you using..?

Solar wind collector doesnt work on any vessel! It print "locked". Last version of KSPI-E, but with 1.2.1. A lot of mods (almost all top 10-15 mods).

54 minutes ago, spec111 said:

Solar wind collector doesnt work on any vessel! It print "locked". Last version of KSPI-E, but with 1.2.1. A lot of mods (almost all top 10-15 mods).

Why are you still using KSP 1.2.1? KSP 1.2.2 should be able to run any 1.2 mod

3 hours ago, spec111 said:

I'm sorry, I would love to help you, but I can't reproduce the bug. It could be a mod conflict (though I can't see how). I would advise you to upgrade (your game and your mods) and see if the issue goes away. If not, check the console (press alt + F12) ingame to see if there are any issues and save the log (in the same menu) - this could help us. You can also post the .cfg of the solar wind collector array from your install, I can look it over to see if there's something wrong there, but that's about it.  I just tested the array in a clean install and it works fine for me.

Sorry for the noob question, but, I can't seem to mine UF4. I am able to get enriched uranium and ThF4 without trouble, but no UF4. Do I have to have the extractors directly on a UF4 hotspot? Doesn't seem to be the case with Thorium as I get decent amounts while several kilometers from a hotspot. Was something changed about UF4 or should I look for a mod conflict? Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, jhook777 said:

Sorry for the noob question, but, I can't seem to mine UF4. I am able to get enriched uranium and ThF4 without trouble, but no UF4. Do I have to have the extractors directly on a UF4 hotspot? Doesn't seem to be the case with Thorium as I get decent amounts while several kilometers from a hotspot. Was something changed about UF4 or should I look for a mod conflict? Thanks in advance.

Im afraid this isn't inplemented yet.  This is one part of ISRU which isn't handled yet. The plan is to mine uranium which get processed into enriched uraniun which get reacted with florite into UF4 

Edited by FreeThinker

19 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Im afraid this isn't inplemented yet.  This is one part of ISRU which isn't handled yet. The plan is to mine uranium which get processed into enriched uraniun which get reacted with florite into UF4 

So for my ship launching base on the moon making ships with EL I will need to ship in UF4 and uranium nitride to power my ships? but I can get He3 from Regolith, I've already got that working.

One other question, how can I mine Deuterium for my ships? On the moon that is.

so.. noticed something about the thermal turbojets and thermal ramjets... on atmospheric mode they have much slower throttle response than they do on closed-cycle mode.  Also, they throttle up about 2x-3x faster than they throttle down (on atmospheric mode).  Is that intentional? @FreeThinker

10 hours ago, Liquid5n0w said:

One other question, how can I mine Deuterium for my ships? On the moon that is.

It should be part of the Regolith, I will check.

Edit: It appears currently not to be part of Solar Wind processing, but it should be, but it is very rare , compared to Hydrogen, about as rare as Helium3.

But I guess the amount is enough to save you a trip to earth if you intend to create a D-He3 mix

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, ss8913 said:

so.. noticed something about the thermal turbojets and thermal ramjets... on atmospheric mode they have much slower throttle response than they do on closed-cycle mode.  Also, they throttle up about 2x-3x faster than they throttle down (on atmospheric mode).  Is that intentional? @FreeThinker

The open cycle mode engine tend to be slower, this is because it takes some time before the reactor get at full power. An inherent problem with solid core nuclear reactor is that takes half a minute before they at full power. BY contrast the pebble bed not have this problem

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello, sorry if i sound like a noob for asking but, im having difficulty using some of the engines provided by the mod, ive checked on many sources of info including the forum post and reddit on how to use but i still fail to get it working right. My main problem is the Thermal Launch Engine, according to the guides and tutorials it needs to be attached directly to a fission reactor (either the Molten Salt or the Pebble Bed), i did that, had a good ammount of fuel availible but to my shock the engine produces poor thrust and consumes the fuel very fast, all this resulting in verry litle Delta V, tried with other fuel variants and the outcome was more or less the same.

Again im pretty much a noob with this mod, some engines work okay, the ones with a reactor integrated in them run like the stock Nerv engine, but those wich as i noticed are more nozzle based are inefficient for some reason (poor thrust and low ISP despite in game saying otherwise). I would be grateful for any help possible,

Hi, thank you for maintaining this huge mod. 
I wanted to ask why the magneto plasma dynamic thruster shows a max input of 1250 MW in both the VAB view and launchpad but no matter what power I give it, it caps at 1.975 MW requested even in the vacuum? Sure if I resize it, it handles more but still far from the theoretical cap.

Edit: Just found out that the real power cap is shown on right-clicking before placing the part in the VAB but when the part is placed it shows the wrong one.

Edit 2: Every part that has a power cap has it shown wrong with a constant formula. For example, it says that a rectenna receiver has the maximum electric power of 8000.00 MW while it caps at 16.00 MW. Real value is always VAB value / 1000 * 2. Same with the plasma thruster that requested 2.5 MW but consumed 1.975 MW with the efficiency in mind (79% hydrogen).

Edited by Pake

1 hour ago, DarckArchon said:

Hello, sorry if i sound like a noob for asking but, im having difficulty using some of the engines provided by the mod, ive checked on many sources of info including the forum post and reddit on how to use but i still fail to get it working right. My main problem is the Thermal Launch Engine, according to the guides and tutorials it needs to be attached directly to a fission reactor (either the Molten Salt or the Pebble Bed), i did that, had a good ammount of fuel availible but to my shock the engine produces poor thrust and consumes the fuel very fast, all this resulting in verry litle Delta V, tried with other fuel variants and the outcome was more or less the same.

Again im pretty much a noob with this mod, some engines work okay, the ones with a reactor integrated in them run like the stock Nerv engine, but those wich as i noticed are more nozzle based are inefficient for some reason (poor thrust and low ISP despite in game saying otherwise). I would be grateful for any help possible,

Sounds like you might be using the wrong fuel type, try liquid nitrogen it has the best thrust/isp ratio. Also make sure you are using the same size nozzle as reactor. Finally, the more thermal power your reactor has the more thrust and ISP you will get from your nozzle. Try a more powerful reactor. 

17 minutes ago, Aaron Also said:

Sounds like you might be using the wrong fuel type, try liquid nitrogen it has the best thrust/isp ratio. Also make sure you are using the same size nozzle as reactor. Finally, the more thermal power your reactor has the more thrust and ISP you will get from your nozzle. Try a more powerful reactor. 

Ill look it up on the nozzle size and liquid nitrogen, as for reactor i thought only the Salt and Pebble would work with the Thermal Launch Nozzle, i just can't believe it can burn up 5000 units of Liquid Fuel and only give off 500 delta V.

2 hours ago, Pake said:

I wanted to ask why the magneto plasma dynamic thruster shows a max input of 1250 MW in both the VAB view and launchpad but no matter what power I give it, it caps at 1.975 MW requested even in the vacuum? Sure if I resize it, it handles more but still far from the theoretical cap.

Edit: Just found out that the real power cap is shown on right-clicking before placing the part in the VAB but when the part is placed it shows the wrong one.

Edit 2: Every part that has a power cap has it shown wrong with a constant formula. For example, it says that a rectenna receiver has the maximum electric power of 8000.00 MW while it caps at 16.00 MW. Real value is always VAB value / 1000 * 2. Same with the plasma thruster that requested 2.5 MW but consumed 1.975 MW with the efficiency in mind (79% hydrogen).

If you have Near Future installed that is normal.

2 hours ago, Pake said:

If you have near future electric installed KSPI will adapt it's numbers to near future levels.  Live with it or uninstall near future electric.  Search this thread for more details about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.